Project Cars

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Project Cars

Post by TCrouch »

I'm stunned at the hate, but it is what it is. I've only played the PC version so far. I'll play the PS4 and XB1 versions tomorrow.

The PC version is exactly what I wanted, though. It feels similar to Forza, and with the T300RS wheel, the FF is so perfectly subtle that it's an absolute joy to fly around the track. I'm not too big on the convoluted career mode, as I've been in the 125cc Karts for 2 seasons, with short little bursts into other series, but it's not like you have a clear screen showing what you'd be driving or what contract you're accepting when you accept it. Just a little short email with "Accept?". I'd like to actually have a shot of the car or something to know what I'm driving, and no option to know what the team standings were for that team the previous year.

Either way, the actual racing is awesome, and very similar to a Forza game, IMO. The starts are a little sketchy, with AI drivers behaving erratically, and the car choice is somewhat limited. But they all drive very differently, and taking an ass-happy Caterham through the downhill Esses and the Dipper is a pucker-inducing rodeo ride. I've thoroughly enjoyed my days with the game so far, and there's just no argument that it's one of the best looking games ever made. The weather progression and time acceleration make for some really interesting races. Just make sure to map your Windshield Wipers button, or you'll end up in a thunderstorm with no wipers--and I had restarts turned off. Bad combination.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Downloaded the PC version and the impressions are mixed. Graphically it is nice, but no nicer than Assetto Corsa, R3E or Dirt Rally in my opinion. For the driving model I need to spend more time with it but it does seem forgiving. Comparing it to Forza is a good comparison. You get the feel of a real car without the 100% relation to what that car should drive like. In Forza I always had to try really hard to spin a car and so far, with the exception of the open wheel racers, it tends to run the lines of being more stable despite all assists off. For the career mode I decided to begin with the Clio, and I quickly realized the fastest way around that track seems a bit off for the Clio. A hard turn in to initiate a drift and ride that drift through the turn. Would be great except that it's a FWD.

The actual racing, once you get past the first few laps and hopefully avoid any misguided AI, is quite nice. PC and Game Stock Car Extreme are probably neck-and-neck for the AI quality.

For a pick up and race game, it's going to fit nicely in my race game inventory. For a more immersive driving experience I have to go with AC currently. It's so well in tune with my wheel, the cars feel wonderful, the graphics are great, etc. But honestly, most of my time lately has been with Dirt Rally. Even though in career mode I've won a whopping 1 stage, pushing those Lancias through the turns is just too much fun. If Codies can lengthen the stages (8-10 minutes is great, but give me a 15-20 minute stage) a bit, this will be the GOTY.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Played a little more pcars tonight, and impressions still stick. It's a forgiving driving model. I took the Mercedes SLS AMG out to Monza. It's a car that gives me fits in Assetto Corsa. In pcars I went into the time trial mode, which unless I'm missing something, doesn't let you alter the car setup. Within a couple of laps I was pulling sub 2:00.000 times and not struggling with the car. In AC, my best time around Monza is a 2:07.xxx and I was fully concentrating. Some of the top AC drivers barely break a 2:02.xxx with that car.

Took the Lotus 49 out at Monza in both and they behaved similarly, in pcars it seemed to have a little more snap oversteer when revving up in a gear though letting off the throttle kept the car well under control. Was a little slower in AC.

Finally, the M3 E30 Group A at Silverstone National. In pcars it felt like a ton of understeer and I could late brake with ease to set a decent 1:01.xxx. Trying to match that in AC was impossible. If I pushed and late braked I was punished severely. The car oversteered and behaved similar to how it handles in the old Simbin games.

Biggest downside in pcars, though, has to be the pretty much inaudible tire sounds. That lack of audio feedback really hurts the title when you are racing against a field and need to push to be competitive.

It's definitely in the same realm as Forza and Gran Turismo - well balanced titles that keep the masses happy but don't quite stretch to a sim.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

F308GTB wrote:It's definitely in the same realm as Forza and Gran Turismo - well balanced titles that keep the masses happy but don't quite stretch to a sim.
There's the rub. It seems like it fits exactly what I wold look for in a game, and I like Slightly Mad a lot. But honestly, I'm not ashamed to admit that Forza's rewards system works to perfection for Microsoft. When Forza 6 drops, I'm going to be gifted a one hell of a lot of credits that will let me roll into that game with the ability to buy some decent cars right off the bat, and I will begin earning for the next game. That could make the cost of pcars even greater. Time racing in another game costs me credits. That's cool if pcars is the game that replaces Forza.

I feel like I need to hear that pcars is something a lot greater than it seems to be, especially on the XB1. Turn 10 has figured out how to keep me playing their version of racing games, with both a great arcade racer and an almost sim racer that reward loyalty pretty well. I'm not one that needs a roster of racing games, and while more of the same is still pretty good when comparing to Forza, I don't need more Forza.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

My digital download pre-order for Project Cars worked like a champ. This is how digital download per-orders should work. Ordered it online a couple weeks ago, Xbox One automatically downloaded it without me having to do a thing. It was ready to go early this morning, no problem. Pretty cool when this process works, although sometimes I do miss the hunt of finding a game on release day. Ha!

Did not get too much time with the game due to being old and tired, however, I will give some very quick impressions and one BIG COMPLAINT. I will start off with the complaint.

Project Cars has a large section of the game dedicated to Community Events (think Rivals in Forza) and Time Trials/Event Leaderboards, but there currently appears to be no way to filter your Friends List or Car Club, or anything like that. In the Community Events, it also does not appear that you can select and race against ghosts. The online leaderboards for the PC version of Project Cars were pretty robust when I was beta testing, although I have not revisited them in awhile. I assumed this functionality would be taken to the Xbox One and PS4. I certainly hope this is just a miss on my part, or that this is something they will patch.

I also agree that the inaudible tire sounds are really problematic, especially on the Xbox One. I don't remember this as a big issue with the PC version, but again, my PC has not been able to run it in awhile. I have not checked the audio settings yet to see if this can be turned up. Hopefully YES!

Out of the box, I really do not like the feel with the Thrustmaster TX Wheel and Force Feedback settings. I don't feel the weight of the cars at all. In fact, feels more like I am driving a boat, and it does not matter if I am in a shifter kart, McLaren P1, Clio, or a stock car. I know there are calibration and tweaking options to mess with, so I am sure I will be able to get it dialed in, but my guess is that if it is like the PC verision, it will take different settings per car, which at least before could not be saved per car.

There is a thread in the official Forums on the Thrustmaster TX Force Feedback issues on the Xbox One:
Thrustmaster TX - FFB Very Light Compared to PC/PS4
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showth ... -to-PC-PS4

I've played Project CARS on PC and now on Xbox One. The FFB out of the box is fantastic on the PC. On the X1 console it's terrible. The wheel is dead in the middle. The only time I'm feeling feedback is at the edge of the wheel lock, and even then it's pretty pathetic.

I've used the exact same calibration method for both platforms (done it multiple times on each) and the PC version is much much better. I've compared multiple car/tracks combos on both platforms and the PC version is much much better.

The guy at Inside Sim Racing TV recently mentioned in one of his FFB setup videos that he thought the X1 version was on the light side. See 1:43. He also mentioned he thought PS4 was on the heavy side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlOdRTB4njY

Although this thread mentions a workaround, it doesn't work for me. It also has a bunch of posts from other X1/TX users that are not experiencing FFB as it was intended by the devs. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showth ... Read-This-

After viewing the video from Inside Racing TV and doing some reading it appears the FFB can be increased by bumping up the settings in the FFB main menu, and by individually tuning FFB for each car. I'm not sure if this is how it was intended by the devs or if this is simply a short term solution to the problem.

So, is this the FFB the X1 version is stuck with, or is this a bug? Please let us know whether or not this is something that will be fixed or if we need to start fiddling with the 30+ FFB settings to fix the game ourselves. Thanks.
So, there are controller issues with the steering wheel and the gamepad on Xbox One. :D

I need to do some side by side comparisons with similar tracks (Spa, Road America, Laguna Seca), but at least on the Xbox One, Project Cars does not come close to Forza in the graphics department. It is not horrible looking by any means, but it certainly does not come close to the screenshots and videos that you see coming from the PC version. Understandable, as the PC version can look absolutely beautiful if you have the specs to run it that way (I did not). I know there are tons of graphical settings in the game that I can tweak, so it could be better, but I was not wowed by the graphics on the Xbox One in the least.

I do like that Project Cars has many tracks that you normally don't seen in racing sims, particularly consoles (Caldwell, Brno, Donnington, Oschersleben, Watkins Glen, Willow Springs).
I like the fact that I can get into any car and any track without having to earn it, pay for it, or grind it out.
I like some of the new cockpit views, particularly the Helmet Cam. Don't know if I will stick with it for everything
I like the shifter karts. Very fun at least in my first few passes with it. I don't remember the karts being very fun on the PC version, but it has been many builds ago that I tried them out.

Lots and lots more to do and test. Definitely still happy I purchased it for Xbox One at this point.

DSP Poker Night Tonight?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I noticed the TX Wheel FF being a little light on PC, too. So it may be a wheel thing.

I used the T300RS on PC and it was (and still is) perfect out of the box, so I don't know what their issue could be. Maybe something in how the XB1 FF works, since the TX is the XB1 wheel.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yes, the pre-load, pre-order worked like a charm. I don't have a wheel, so with the controller I find myself all over the place. Currently using controller input 3 and changed the throttle sensitivity a bit, but I am still struggling.

Beautiful game.

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

This review says that there aren't multiplayer lobbies (Xbox One) that one can set up, so it's only racing against random people. Is that right?? http://www.gamepur.com/news/18813-proje ... ns-no.html

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

False. I raced with a buddy the other night with just me and him and a bunch of AI cars.

You just go to Online, Create, and once you make the session, hit Y (or triangle) and invite users from your friends list. Not sure what that reviewer was on. I just verified on PS4 that you can do it, too (XB1 is still installing, slow as hell).

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

TCrouch wrote:False. I raced with a buddy the other night with just me and him and a bunch of AI cars.

You just go to Online, Create, and once you make the session, hit Y (or triangle) and invite users from your friends list. Not sure what that reviewer was on. I just verified on PS4 that you can do it, too (XB1 is still installing, slow as hell).
Thanks TC.

Bottom of page 3 on this thread explains it: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showth ... arch/page3

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

What the hell is going on with the XBox One version? If it's truly just "not there" on XB1, but IS there on PC and PS4...wow.

I won't be able to verify until I'm home after work, but it's definitely there on PC and PS4.

****EDIT****

Yeah, the bottom of that was what I found.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

TCrouch wrote:What the hell is going on with the XBox One version? If it's truly just "not there" on XB1, but IS there on PC and PS4...wow.

I won't be able to verify until I'm home after work, but it's definitely there on PC and PS4.

****EDIT****

Yeah, the bottom of that was what I found.
Good question, cause no matter what settings and tinkering I've tried I just can't stay on track.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

You should be watching hockey. :wink:

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

XXXIV wrote:You should be watching hockey. :wink:
Or at least setting his Forza 5 times at Indy! Got my done today, and now I might have time to actually work on improving them. And Forza 5 controls with a controller pretty darn well, right now.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

My advice about Project Cars is simple after my first night with this game: If you are an Xbox One owner, do NOT think of buying this game until it's patched. It's complete rubbish.

I have tried every Xbox One controller configuration fix described in this thread, and they all SUCK like the love child of Shark and Dyson vacuums.

The control of Project Cars -- at least with an Xbox One controller -- is HORRID. Unpredictable, with huge dead zones that vary by car, even with Ian Bell's suggested fix of setting steering sensitivity to zero. The weighty feel of the cars that DB and other described for the PC game is missing in the Xbox game. The grip model is awful. Force feedback is bad. The lack of tire sound is inexcusable. The graphics are nice but not as good as Forza 5, a game that's nearly 2 years old.

Every bit of frustration that Adam described in his threads is true. And there's no excuse for the endless tweaking needed to get even a serviceable controller setup on the Xbox One. One of the reasons people prefer console racing over PC racing is the plug-and-play nature of the controls. Hours of fiddling shouldn't be needed. The basic controller setup should work, with options available to tailor the controls to individual tastes.

Slightly Mad simply f*cked up the Xbox One version of this game. It's bad. Quite bad. This feels like budget bin software. I'm struggling to think the last time I was this disappointed in a launch day title for which I had such great anticipation and expectation for any system.

I'm not trading in Project Cars yet. I will give Slightly Mad a chance to patch the controller issues, for starters. I will fiddle to try to find a good controller setup, just like my rFactor and GPL days of PC racing. The game has a ton of potential for petrol heads like me. I like the car and track variety. I appreciate that Slightly Mad is trying to create a challenging sim for consoles.

But if Project Cars for the Xbox One was a current F1 team, it would be Marussia. This game is stuck at the back of the virtual grid, at least for now on the Xbox One.

Massive disappointment.
Last edited by pk500 on Wed May 13, 2015 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I just updated my Xbox One controller with the latest firmware. Let's see if that makes a difference.

I'm also confused by Ian Bell's message that the game with the latest patch is 18.5 GB. I downloaded the 482 MB patch when installing from the disc, and the full game registers at 18.1 GB.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:My advice about Project Cars is simple after my first night with this game: If you are an Xbox One owner, do NOT think of buying this game until it's patched. It's complete rubbish.

I have tried every Xbox One controller configuration fix described in this thread, and they all SUCK like the love child of Shark and Dyson vacuums.

Massive disappointment.
To say the least. Unplayable for me. I was trying the Kart racing on Amateur to see if I could stay on track. Pointless. Fiddled around with many settings as well with no success. When it's such patch coming. My first digital pre-order and it turns out like this. :?

And I don't intend to buy a peripheral hardware to see if the game works.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:And I don't intend to buy a peripheral hardware to see if the game works.
Agree 100 percent. A console game should work with the hardware used by the vast majority of the install base of customers -- the stock controller.

I have tried a few control setups from the Slightly Mad forums that have improved the handling model, but it's still nowhere near adequate. I expected a hell of a lot more than adequate from Project Cars.

This game reminds me of the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight -- a MASSIVE letdown after tanker-truck loads of hype.
Last edited by pk500 on Wed May 13, 2015 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm also cracking up at the attitude of some of those on the Slightly Mad forums who are decrying those complaining about the poor controls as arcade gamers or not knowing a sim from the color of their eyes.

That's 100 percent horsesh*t.

I have played a variety of incredibly challenging PC driving sims, such as Grand Prix Legends, Richard Burns Rally, rFactor and iRacing. Those were tough but all had predictable control. I flew off the track because of my mistakes, not because of some flaw in the control model.

I know the difference. Project Cars has missed the mark, at least in its current form on the Xbox One.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:I have played a variety of incredibly challenging PC driving sims, such as Grand Prix Legends, Richard Burns Rally, rFactor and iRacing. Those were tough but all had predictable control. I flew off the track because of my mistakes, not because of some flaw in the control model.

I know the difference. Project Cars has missed the mark, at least in its current form on the Xbox One.
I'm so glad I stuck to my guns and only picked up the PC version. I don't have enough time to play games like I used to, and certainly not at the times the rest of you do, so online wasn't really an issue for me. All that said, the Xbox Controller on the PC works flawlessly and I'm having a great time flying around the track. As you mentioned, it's tough...and you know when you F up. With the tweaked controller settings a few pages back, it's entirely playable on the Xbox Controller which is all that I can ask for if I don't feel like pulling out my old Momo wheel for a longer session.

I feel bad the XB1 gets the shaft...AGAIN. It's the recurring theme for the console so far this generation...I can't believe I was foolish enough to buy two of them for the house. I should just stick with PC gaming as it's much more reliable on good hardware. It's crazy to think I have way less issues on my custom built PC than I do on my two "next gen" consoles. Baffling really.

Hopefully they get this squared away for you guys. If they get the handling model w/ the controller working like it does on the PC, you'll see why I love it so much.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

anyone have impressions then of the PS4 version? Same control issues like PK is describing for the XBO?

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

10spro wrote:To say the least. Unplayable for me. I was trying the Kart racing on Amateur to see if I could stay on track. Pointless. Fiddled around with many settings as well with no success. When it's such patch coming. My first digital pre-order and it turns out like this. :?

The karts are hateful on XB1. I can either turn far too much or completely fail to turn at all, but I can't do anything in between without slowing to a crawl.

SMS have posted that the patch is entering testing with Namco, which will take 2-3 days, and then needs to go through submission and testing at Microsoft before release. This thread on the official forum is worth watching for more information.

PK, the "difficult=simulation" crowd are out in force, but if any of them have ever driven a real racing car with a 65% deadzone at the end of its steering lock, I'll change my name to Judy and join a chorus line.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

GB_Simo wrote:
10spro wrote:To say the least. Unplayable for me. I was trying the Kart racing on Amateur to see if I could stay on track. Pointless. Fiddled around with many settings as well with no success. When it's such patch coming. My first digital pre-order and it turns out like this. :?

The karts are hateful on XB1. I can either turn far too much or completely fail to turn at all, but I can't do anything in between without slowing to a crawl.
I am glad I haven't picked up a PS4 or XB1 yet, moving on to PC. Played the karts for the first time on pcars last night with my G27 and within a lap or two had the control down pat. Only spun out once trying to shortcut a chicane. Guess the PC version has the opposite problem of the XB1 - the control is just too darn easy.

I hadn't realized that SMS was the studio behind TD:Ferrari Racing Legends. That explains quite a bit! While I like that game for the car selection, the overall feel is a bit odd just like pcars.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I sat for an hour last night fiddling with controls, adjusting speed sensitivity and controller smoothing and all sorts of stuff before just throwing in the towel. PK is 100% right--on XB1, it's rubbish in its current state. I can't even understand how it was shipped in this condition, unless everybody playing it was using a wheel.

PS4 has no issues like it--it takes some dialing in to make the controller feel good to the individual user, but it's predictable...unlike the XB1 version. Also, using a wheel on PS4 feels just like using the wheel on PC. The PS4 version is about equal to the PC version in controls and visuals at 1080p, while the XB1 is a hot mess.

I'm just blown away at how bad the XB1 version is. This is like my fear that developed when the consoles were announced--it's quite obvious that they developed for PC and PS4 as lead platforms and then ported to XB1, and did a half-assed job at it. And they also did NFS Shift 2, which had some floaty control issues, but was a fun little game.

cfiore
Mario Mendoza

Post by cfiore »

Inuyasha wrote:anyone have impressions then of the PS4 version? Same control issues like PK is describing for the XBO?
I've got the PS4 version and there are not the same control issues as on the XBone. Especially when you find a really good set of settings. I can't post them cause I am at work and can't remember them but PuntNL in the PS4 Technical support section of the Project Cars official forum posted some settings. I have been using them with my kart career and find them to be very good. I think the thread is called "DS controller settings & solutions" or something to that affect. I should add, I have tried 5 or 6 other sets and so far for me PuntNL's are very driveable on the kart tracks I have driven. What I don't know yet and need to try is how they are on a track with a fairly long straight where you can get up to a decent speed and see if I get the straight line wobble.

On the whole I am thoroughly enjoying the game. Even with just the game pad. With a wheel I would imagine it is truly amazing. For the first time in a long time I find myself thinking about the game and wanting to get home and find time to race. Loving the racing. While the ai is frenzied at the start of a race it isn't all the time. Kind of reminds me of how the start of some f1 races is chaotic and others everyone gets through the first turn fine. The customizability is amazing. I think when they get the couple niggling bugs worked out (pit bug and ai in the rain for example) it will really be amazing.