OT: Anyone made the switch from iPhone to Android?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Anyone made the switch from iPhone to Android?

Post by JackB1 »

Any of you guys made this switch? Was it a major p.i.a. to convert everything over?
I have been on iPhone for a long time now and there are many more and better deals
now for a new Android device. I am always hesitant to switch over due to the hassle
I am envisioning in switching everything over......music, contacts, apps, photos, etc.

Was it as hard as it sounds and do you regret the switch?

thanks

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Anyone made the switch from iPhone to Android?

Post by Rodster »

I haven't but making the switch is not some huge problem whether your coming from iOS or vice versa. As far as apps go, you're in luck because the Google Play store is just as loaded as the Apple app store. Most Android apps are geared towards phones although that is changing. You can backup and restore all of your stuff on Android as well just like you can with iCloud. All of your content can be reloaded back to your device including bookmarks in Chrome.

Google even allows you to move your iTunes library as well. https://play.google.com/about/music/unlock/

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I'm not sure about switching as I haven't even considered it, but I would just make sure you research the security of each before making a change. I have heard far too many IT Security professionals, some of the best in the business, refer to the Android app marketplace as "The Wild Wild West." Many of them discuss the relative ease and cost of developing Android apps compared to Apple's cost and approval process which makes it much more vulnerable to malicious apps . They have also stressed that, although Android offers robust security settings that are defaulted to "on", it is actually so time consuming and difficult to customize that too many developers take the easy way out and change all the settings to default to the lowest level of security rather than finding the correct mix. It's tough to talk about phones because for some it is more flammable than religion or politics. I like Apple products, but really don't care what other people do one way or another. I'm just telling you what I've heard in various ISACA seminars over the past couple years.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Interesting stuff Leebo. Thanks for sharing.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Rodster wrote:I haven't but making the switch is not some huge problem whether your coming from iOS or vice versa. As far as apps go, you're in luck because the Google Play store is just as loaded as the Apple app store. Most Android apps are geared towards phones although that is changing. You can backup and restore all of your stuff on Android as well just like you can with iCloud. All of your content can be reloaded back to your device including bookmarks in Chrome.

Google even allows you to move your iTunes library as well. https://play.google.com/about/music/unlock/
I am not concerned with Android being as good all around as Apple...I am just concerned with the migration between them and preserving everything important from my iPhone and transferring it to android.