NBA Season 2014-15

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NBA Season 2014-15

Post by Diablo25 »

Leebo33 wrote:I'll have to start watching the Sixers again. KJ McDaniels can be a restricted (or unrestricted) free agent next summer. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Yeah, KJ is fun to watch. They couldn't come to an agreement on a multi year deal after the draft so he just signed a 1 year deal. Being a 2nd rounder is astounding. I love watching him play D. He just doesn't seem phased by anyone. I love power Dunkers and that is him :).

XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I think the Cavs' locker room has given up on Blatt and is trying to get him fired. I know playing without LeBron is a challenge, but the team still has Love and Irving, yet its getting blown out and looking disinterested.

Wondering what happens first before the deadline: The Cavs make another deal or Blatt gets canned.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:I think the Cavs' locker room has given up on Blatt and is trying to get him fired. I know playing without LeBron is a challenge, but the team still has Love and Irving, yet its getting blown out and looking disinterested.

Wondering what happens first before the deadline: The Cavs make another deal or Blatt gets canned.
I think they pretty much have to cut ties with him. A relative unknown hired before the Lebron signing, team's playing poorly with high expectations. I say he's gone by the end of the week.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Wondering what happens first before the deadline: Lebron make another deal or Blatt gets canned.
That's probably a little more accurate wrt the Lebron situtation. :P

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
pk500 wrote:Wondering what happens first before the deadline: Lebron make another deal or Blatt gets canned.
Good point. He is the de facto assistant GM. Numerous reports indicated the Cavs' front office checked with LeBron before making the three-way deal that sent Waiters to OKC.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

It is amazing Blatt is still employed. There is no reason for the Cavs to be getting destroyed by teams like Sacramento, with or without LeBron. They are behind Milwaukee in the standings, which should be instant termination with their lineup.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Brando70 wrote:It is amazing Blatt is still employed. There is no reason for the Cavs to be getting destroyed by teams like Sacramento, with or without LeBron. They are behind Milwaukee in the standings, which should be instant termination with their lineup.
It's such an odd situation. We're almost at the halfway point of the season, and the impetuous, tempermental Cleveland owner Dan Gilbert still hasn't pulled the trigger on the firing squad for Blatt.

I'm sure there are voices inside the Cleveland organization saying it took Jason Kidd a half-season to get his coaching legs under him. But Kidd never had been a coach at any level before last season, and his roster in Brooklyn wasn't as good as Cleveland's.

Cleveland's .500 record is surprising enough. But I've watched a handful of Cavs' games this season, and the lack of effort and cohesion is stunning. A sure sign of a coach who lacks a grasp on the NBA game and an NBA locker room.

It's one thing to win with Barcelona or Maccabi Tel Aviv. It's another to win with the team with the greatest burden of expectations in the top league in the world.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:
Good point. He is the de facto assistant GM. Numerous reports indicated the Cavs' front office checked with LeBron before making the three-way deal that sent Waiters to OKC.
There are reports he was behind the Love trade for Wiggens. The acquisition of Mike Miller, James Jones, Shawn Marion. The Cavs are basically a team put together by the FO to appease the return of Bron Bron. That wasn't going to happen in Miami although he got them to draft up for Napier.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

That's a bad defensive team. Neither Love nor Irving play defense.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:That's a bad defensive team. Neither Love nor Irving play defense.
Yep. Losing Varejao to injury only exacerbated that. The newly acquired Mozgov is a slight improvement in rim protection, but not that much.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Triple double, looks like we found ourselves a Center :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I went to Sixers-Raptors' game in Philly Friday night with my son, brother and niece. Big fun. The Sixers suck, but they play hard for Brett Brown. There is a future in Philly, even if it appears at the edge of the vanishing point of the horizon.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

No love for Klay Thompson's 37-point QUARTER Friday night? One of the most incredible things I've EVER seen in sports, and I'm going to be 50 in May.

Lights. Effing. Out.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Rodster wrote:Triple double, looks like we found ourselves a Center :)

That was amazing.

I cannot figure this Bulls team out. They played so well against the Spurs and Mavs this week, then stink it up at home against the Heat. I know Noah has not been 100%, and they have had to play Butler at SF with Dunleavy out, but still, they should be winning games like these at the United Center. Tuesday's game at Golden State will be a good barometer of where they stand.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

pk500 wrote:No love for Klay Thompson's 37-point QUARTER Friday night? One of the most incredible things I've EVER seen in sports, and I'm going to be 50 in May.

Lights. Effing. Out.
It's refreshing to have the best team in basketball also be so entertaining. I think we've missed that a bit during the last few years, even though the games have still been great to watch.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:I went to Sixers-Raptors' game in Philly Friday night with my son, brother and niece. Big fun. The Sixers suck, but they play hard for Brett Brown. There is a future in Philly, even if it appears at the edge of the vanishing point of the horizon.
Sums it up well. They aren't very good but they play hard and give you some hope every few games. The future is bright but it's been tough 'waiting'. I love Brett Brown. I don't know how he has kept his wits about him but he has.

The future? Embiid will be ready next year and Dario Saric (16th pick this past draft) will be coming the following year. He has been lighting it up in Europe. At 20 he just won the 'Young Player of the Year' in Europe. He is GOOD. Sixers have two 1st rounders this coming draft...one of which will be a top 3 pick. They have a ton of cap space so the recipe is there it just has to materialize.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:The future? Embiid will be ready next year and Dario Saric (16th pick this past draft) will be coming the following year. He has been lighting it up in Europe. At 20 he just won the 'Young Player of the Year' in Europe. He is GOOD. Sixers have two 1st rounders this coming draft...one of which will be a top 3 pick. They have a ton of cap space so the recipe is there it just has to materialize.
I would worry about Embiid. He reportedly has ballooned to 300 pounds. Embiid denied it, and the Sixers posted a video of him supposedly as the first guy at practice the next day. But where there's smoke ...

Noel needs to develop an offensive game. The guy is strong on the boards and blocks shots. But his effective range is about 4 feet. Seriously. Noel scored 12 points Friday night on five field goals, four of which were dunks. He has ZERO nuance and subtlety to his offensive game. Some of his missed shots Friday night were comical.

Like most have assessed, McDaniels is the brightest spot of the future of the Sixers. He's damn good.

MCW looked just like the MCW at Syracuse. Excellent ball-handler, solid defender, made equal amounts of great and dumb passes. And he still can't shoot from the outside worth a damn. :)

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Wasn't Philly suppose to be tanking the past couple of years for Wiggins?

They pass him up when they had a chance to pick him and now, Wiggins seems to be steadily improving.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:Wasn't Philly suppose to be tanking the past couple of years for Wiggins?

They pass him up when they had a chance to pick him and now, Wiggins seems to be steadily improving.
Philly didn't have a chance to draft Wiggins. Cleveland won the draft lottery and chose Wiggins No. 1 overall, sending him to Minnesota in the Love deal.

Cleveland will be the big losers in that trade. It's 50/50 that Love will stay in Cleveland after this season. He has been lost with the Cavs, even during their recent winning streak.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

You're right, they were off by a pick or two.

Wonder if they would have drafted Wiggins, especially if Embid wasn't injured.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:The future? Embiid will be ready next year and Dario Saric (16th pick this past draft) will be coming the following year. He has been lighting it up in Europe. At 20 he just won the 'Young Player of the Year' in Europe. He is GOOD. Sixers have two 1st rounders this coming draft...one of which will be a top 3 pick. They have a ton of cap space so the recipe is there it just has to materialize.
I would worry about Embiid. He reportedly has ballooned to 300 pounds. Embiid denied it, and the Sixers posted a video of him supposedly as the first guy at practice the next day. But where there's smoke ...

Noel needs to develop an offensive game. The guy is strong on the boards and blocks shots. But his effective range is about 4 feet. Seriously. Noel scored 12 points Friday night on five field goals, four of which were dunks. He has ZERO nuance and subtlety to his offensive game. Some of his missed shots Friday night were comical.

Like most have assessed, McDaniels is the brightest spot of the future of the Sixers. He's damn good.

MCW looked just like the MCW at Syracuse. Excellent ball-handler, solid defender, made equal amounts of great and dumb passes. And he still can't shoot from the outside worth a damn. :)
The Embiid thing was a BS story. He hasn't been over 275 since he was drafted. He put on the expected weight for a guy his size immobilized by a boot for so long. He has JUST started doing Minimal basketball activity. Other than some immaturity I'm Not worried about Embiid. Noel is what he is. He will show marginal growth offensively. He is simply a rim protector. His strength is he is unbelievably quick for his size. Steals and rebounds. The fact that a guy with the limited offensive skills he has was considered the #1 pick shows how weak the draft was. MCW could very well be traded. I don't hate him but I don't love him. His perimeter game is very suspect and he turns the ball over too much. The Sixers don't necessarily need the #1 pick in this year's draft because they already have Embiid. Okafur is the clear #1 if he comes out. If they do get the #1 they could move down for some pieces. The top PG (and some say top overall pick) in this year's draft is Emmanuel Mudiay. One Sixers draft scenario could be to trade MCW and take Mudiay with their first pick in the upcoming draft. Whichever way it goes it's going to be interesting. It can't go anywhere but up from here.

PS...I love KJ but he signed a one year deal so he isn't as secure as some might think. His situation is an under the radar type situation that could ballon into something in the offseason.
Last edited by Diablo25 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

wco81 wrote:You're right, they were off by a pick or two.

Wonder if they would have drafted Wiggins, especially if Embid wasn't injured.
Hinke (Sixers gm) loved Wiggins so it's fair to say they would've drafted him.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Emmanuel Mudiay. Best PG in upcoming draft (see my above post). He is playing in China right now. LOVE to see him on the Sixers.

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Watching Sixers/Pelicans right now. Not that this is a big secret but Anthony Davis is sick. Guy has it all.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Diablo25 wrote:Watching Sixers/Pelicans right now. Not that this is a big secret but Anthony Davis is sick. Guy has it all.
Hence my MVP prediction prior to the season. He's lived up to the hype for sure.