OT: Prostate Cancer

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Prostate Cancer

Post by DivotMaker »

UPDATE:

Got my pathology report back and there is good and bad.

The Bad: They did NOT get clear margins removing the prostate. Massive cancer throughout the prostate. Metastatic cancer (prostate cancer that has left the prostate) affecting the tissues in entire area surrounding the prostate and bladder. My surgeon gave this pathology report to me in an email, not even a phone call. For 10 days, my wife and I have been trying to understand the report in layman's terms. I have a fairly lengthy road to hoe from here.

The Good: While we were extremely concerned about the content of the report, I forwarded the surgeon's notes to my primary care oncologist at MD Anderson. He responded within 30 minutes asking if my wife and I could join him for a teleconference. We spoke today and thankfully I am not having to "get my affairs in order" as my wife was thinking. Far from it. My oncologist is a brilliant and amazing doctor with the best "bedside manner" I have ever witnessed. He flat gives a crap about me and my Family. And he is pretty damn good at what he does.

He calmed our fears and assured us that with the removal of the prostate, I am in a much better place regardless of the prostate cancer in surrounding tissues. Evidently it is preferable to go after these remaining cells with targeted therapies such as Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT). I cannot start this therapy until I get my urination functionality to return to pre-op consistency. Looks like I may have to have hormone therapy until I get there as starting radiation prior to returning to normal functionality very likely would preclude any return to normal. It is my hope the SBRT is my 9th inning closer that can come in and put a final stop to this hideous disease. I'll know more in 2-3 weeks as my oncologist is developing a strategy working with other oncologists who have patients with similar situations.

Stay tuned and thanks for listening.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

You are certainly in good hands with the folks at MD Anderson. It's a blessing you're only 30 minutes away from one of the best cancer treatment organizations in the world. Nothing worse than the "C" word, and I had my scare with it last year (fortunately a melanoma was just stage 0). Your road is more bumpy, but again, take solace in having those wonderful professionals here in Houston at your disposal. Best of luck to you and may you be on the road to full remission.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Tim, thanks for the update. I'm surprised that your surgeon was so casual about communicating the information to you. Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy is new to me, but if it can target only the affected areas, it will be a lot better for your immune system.

This is going to sound goofy, but could I persuade you to drink two tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar a day? I know a fellow who had a bout with Prostate Cancer a few years back, and his doctor told him (off the record) to do this, as it helps your body maintain an alkaline pH, which is not a favorable environment for cancer. He convinced me to do it and I have been for some time now. He's had no recurrences in the years since.

I'm glad to see that you're educating yourself about this, as you know your body better than anyone else! Continue to have faith that this cancer is going to be driven out of your body, one way or another!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Thanks for sharing your experience, continuous recovery and good health to you.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

You should punch your surgeon in the nuts, assuming he has any. Other than that, sounds hopeful. Keep moving forward.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

J_Cauthen wrote:Tim, thanks for the update. I'm surprised that your surgeon was so casual about communicating the information to you. Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy is new to me, but if it can target only the affected areas, it will be a lot better for your immune system.

This is going to sound goofy, but could I persuade you to drink two tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar a day? I know a fellow who had a bout with Prostate Cancer a few years back, and his doctor told him (off the record) to do this, as it helps your body maintain an alkaline pH, which is not a favorable environment for cancer. He convinced me to do it and I have been for some time now. He's had no recurrences in the years since.

I'm glad to see that you're educating yourself about this, as you know your body better than anyone else! Continue to have faith that this cancer is going to be driven out of your body, one way or another!
John,

Thanks, I will give that some thought....I do drink Essentia bottled water which is alkaline itself by design. Thanks again for the tip.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Praying for a full recovery for you Tim! Keep staying strong!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Tim:

Best of luck in your continued recovery. Sounds like your oncologist is a human being, unlike your surgeon. Glad your oncologist is on your side.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

pk500 wrote:Tim:

Best of luck in your continued recovery. Sounds like your oncologist is a human being, unlike your surgeon. Glad your oncologist is on your side.
Well said. Keep fighting, stay positive, and look forward to hearing about your continued improvement.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Thanks for the update on what has to surely be difficult to share. This is all very surreal to read yet helpful - as chances are one or more of us will be facing something very similar in the future.

Keep up the fight!
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Glad you have a good oncologist that cares for you like he does. I hope and pray you have nothing but improved recovery on this long road.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I love your fighting spirit.

Love your sports rants :wink:

You are inspirational.

Thank you!

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

XXXIV wrote:I love your fighting spirit.

Love your sports rants :wink:

You are inspirational.

Thank you!
Wow, did not see that one coming XXXIV! Thank you. I am humbled by your kind comments.

And thank you to each and every one of you who have posted such uplifting thoughts and prayers. Each of you are amazing people and I would love to meet each and every one of you someday.

I go back to MD Anderson for my surgical post op Thursday and the following week I get right back to work with my Oncologist because PSA is doubled since the surgery (1.6 to 3.2). This indicates that there is quite a bit of metastatic prostate cancer cells that left the prostate and are likely in that area with the bladder and surrounding tissues. The good news is prostate cancer is very slow growing. The bad news is they are not sure of the majority of cancer cells are in the one contained area where the prostate was or have they spread to other areas of the body. Looks like more bone scans and possibly a PET scan to determine what the treatment plan is going forward. I can't do the Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT) until I am through recovering full continence from the surgery and that takes time. Hormone therapy is likely as a stopgap. My Oncologist is extremely optimistic that we will get this controlled. Could not be in a better place than MD Anderson, I am SO VERY thankful for that. Also very thankful I can communicate what I am going through in a way that helps each of you have awareness and knowledge about this insidious disease. Thank you all for letting me share my story here and thank you again for the many uplifting thoughts and prayers!

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

You rock, Tim! Keep hacking away at this s***.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

UPDATE:

Started seeing intermittent blood in the urine starting New Years Eve. Along with that some blood clots. Initial experience lasted about 12 house then cleared up. Happened twice more up to this past Monday. Monday saw intense amount of blood and clots. Started at noon, by 10 PM, I could no longer urinate. Made it to the ER and started having the most incredibly painful spasms. We are thinking kidney stones since I know I have them in my left kidney.

Finally got an IV and some serious pain meds and the spasms and pain subsided. Had a CT scan of the pelvic area. Confirmed NOT kidney stones. They did see new growth of tissue where the prostate was removed and new tumors on my pelvis. Seems the effing cancer has evolved into a somewhat more aggressive cancer, moreso than prostate cancer. Seems my bladder is bleeding internally and they aren’t quite sure what exactly is causing it nor how to get the internal bleeding to stop. I’ve had a catheter in since Monday night draining the blood out and flushing with saline 24/7. Whenever another clot forms, the pressure mounts and it is as painful as Monday night.

Moving forward, my MD Anderson Team is accelerating my clinical trial protocol I started 6 weeks ago with chemotherapy. I am sick of being in the hospital and have no idea when I can go home. Gotta stop the bleeding and spasms first and they seem perplexed by my situation. Today has been the best day so far, but I’m getting ready to go have bone marrow aspirated out of each hip to measure the current progress of the clinical trial. Pretty helpless feeling seeing yourself bleed and not be able to stop it so far. And those blood clots are huge and disgusting.

f*** YOU cancer.....f*** YOU. :evil:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Holy crap. So sorry to read this. Hopefully they can get this squared away and figured out ASAP. Good luck man!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Man, oh, man, Tim. I'm so sorry. I will continue to pray for you.

Keep fighting. You'll win!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Dammit. Hang tough, Tim. No pithy bumper sticker wisdom to give. Wouldn't want to diminish what you're dealing with, with that s*** anyway. Prayers are definitely with you, brother.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

F*cking cancer, man. Wish I had more to offer than encouragement to keep on fighting. But seriously, keep on fighting. Wish I could lighten that load for you.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just mirroring what the other guys have said, stay tough. My thoughts are with you dude.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Diablo25 wrote:Just mirroring what the other guys have said, stay tough. My thoughts are with you dude.
Yes. Sorry to hear this but I know you will stay strong and fight as you have had all along. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Praying for you, your family, and the doctors taking care of you. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you or your family no matter how big/small it is. Keep up the good fight as you have been!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Man, just reading every word, every sentence of your update feels like a stab in an old wound. So disheartening to hear this. Please stay strong, we are all pulling here for you. Whatever treatment is needed may the MD Anderson team take you to good health once and for all. Stay strong and prayers to you.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Dang Tim... it was like taking a gut punch to read your latest update. That absolutely sounds horrific! I implore you to stay tough and keep your mind open to all options. Please know that I'm praying for you on this with expectancy... as I have seen some amazing things happen through prayer recently.

I know someone for whom chemo wasn't working for his lung cancer. He'd read about a cure drinking a quart to 40 ounces of freshly juiced, organic carrots a day. He tried it and in two months later, his cancer had stopped growing and he felt better. He continued on with the carrot juice regimen, and in another two months he had another CT scan that showed he was cancer free... that was four years ago and he's doing fine today!

I takes about 6 pounds of carrots a day to juice into a quart, which in my nearest organic market would run you about 10 dollars, but for David, it was worth it! I'm not an oncologist, but I'm just throwing this out there for consideration. I'm confident you'll beat this!

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Ugh Tim! So sorry to hear the news. Stay strong my friend! You can beat this! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!!!!