NBA Live 15

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NBA Live 15

Post by Aristo »

sportdan30 wrote:
No picks, no off the ball movement. Reminds me of their NCAA Basketball. No team play as far as I can tell. Too much one on one. Can this be patched?
Watching the EA live stream, and they demonstrated picks, and how to do a pick and roll or pick and pop. I don't think what you said here is accurate at all.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:Just played a quick game and it's a decent game of hoops. I struggled a bit due to the control scheme being different than 2K15. There is still work to be done but its a major upgrade from 14. My initial reaction is that I won't buy it.
I didn't play NBA Live 14, but this game surprised me. I agree there isn't much off-the-ball movement unless commanded via controller, and both teams shot a high FG percentage in the one game I played. It's also far too easy to strip guards for steals and breakaway dunks. But the game looks good and is more fluid than I imagined.

But the game is fun. It's definitely geared more toward one-on-one skill moves and isolation than the more team-oriented gameplay of NBA 2K15.

I'd be content if it was the only NBA game on the market. Problem is, there's a far superior title already on shelves. I would be interested in NBA Live 15 if it sold for $30. But it doesn't appear to be worth the same price as NBA 2K15.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I agree with PK, that I would have bought this game if it was priced at $35-40 and that's what EA should have done because it's still a beta version of what they want the game to be. 2K is still the premier BB game on the market no matter how stale it might be.

Right now my best comparison to Live vs 2K would be Winning Eleven 6 vs FIFA 2002.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

It's a good enough game of basketball. It definitely lack features and depth, but it also wastes far less of my time than 2K14 ever did. A definite plus is that I pulled off an alley loop to Wiggins in my first game, and I never could pull one off in 2K14.

It might B the baby game I need, although I wish it was college. Can't ay that it feels like a polished $60 game, but 2K really isn't $60 game in the state that they have let the franchise get. If Live's NBA Today mode works, it may be enough to keep me playing. But the fact is, It's still not even the second best sports game I would own. It may be neck and neck with NHL 15, but hockey is more fun for me, especially when I have a hometown team in the Blues.

I might check out the UT mode. It might be fun to great a team of Jayhawk alumni.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I honestly can't comprhend how this game appeals to anyone over 2K. I'm not even a basketball purist but it's not even in the same league.

EA should just rebrand their basketball efforts as NBA Street an revive that franchise, there must be a market for pure arcade basketball if people would purchase this.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I certainly would love another NBA Street.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

The only problem I have with 2K is that it feels more like work to play. The menus are a slog, the servers crap out, and everything seems to need those servers. And the gameplay even feels stiff and laggy, although I assume that is on my inability to get all of the controls down.

I may pop in 2K14 again to compare the feel of the games. It would be nice if the was a demo of 2K15.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Aristo wrote:The only problem I have with 2K is that it feels more like work to play. The menus are a slog, the servers crap out, and everything seems to need those servers. And the gameplay even feels stiff and laggy, although I assume that is on my inability to get all of the controls down.

I may pop in 2K14 again to compare the feel of the games. It would be nice if the was a demo of 2K15.
Well that might be the issue, I could never get 2K14 to work despite what some people claimed here the game just didn't work for a lot of people. I played both of these games last night at a friends and 2k15 seemed fine with no issues.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Game is getting a lot of love over at OS so I think that's pretty positive. It looks like it's the exact mix of Arcade/Sim which is exactly what I would be looking for in an NBA game. Fun factor always wins out for me on games these days...my sim days have long been over. Would have never guessed that I would buy all 4 of EA's sports offering this years but it appears that I will be.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

tjung0831 wrote:Game is getting a lot of love over at OS so I think that's pretty positive. It looks like it's the exact mix of Arcade/Sim which is exactly what I would be looking for in an NBA game. Fun factor always wins out for me on games these days...my sim days have long been over. Would have never guessed that I would buy all 4 of EA's sports offering this years but it appears that I will be.
To be fair, of the other three, only FIFA has a competitor. But Madden 15 really is pretty great. It's easily the first time I playing it that I was not actually craving a 2K version. At least 2K hockey has already begun to suck by the time NHL 09 established itself as a great game.

I probably should have held off on FIFA, because as much as I enjoyed FIFA 14 and have been getting into watching some soccer, it still ranks behind baseball, football, hockey and basketball in sports I'm invested in.

On topic, I really do miss the classic NBA teams in 2K, even if the collection of teams is rather half-assed. And the play art goes a long ways in helping me play basketball instead of looking for lanes to get my dunks. In some ways, Live 15 is not all that different from Live 95. The lack of sliders bite, because it does feel like steals need to be tuned down.

Danimal is not wrong, 2K15 is definitely a next gen AAA sports title. I think Live 15 looks really good, but overall, it's not really very next gen in terms of features and gameplay. That might not be big deal, but it does mean I will probably just wait until it drops in price, or just get 2K15 instead.
Danimal wrote:Well that might be the issue, I could never get 2K14 to work despite what some people claimed here the game just didn't work for a lot of people. I played both of these games last night at a friends and 2k15 seemed fine with no issues.
I was one that claimed 2K14 was fine, but I was wrong. At first it didn't bother me, because I didn't care about the My Career mode, or even dynasty. But eventually, the crap servers made it harder and harder to pay anything, including NBA Today. At some point, I had booted the game up to play several times without playing a game. It's kind of hard to commit $60 on the new version when it does seem there are server issues again according to reviews and impressions.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

is there a demo out for nba live 15? I'm interested to see how ultimate team works in the game. I didn't like 2k version of UT in 14. I wonder if it's the same in 15.

If NBA LIVE is more arcade up and down, then I can go for it when it gets cheaper. 2k14 never felt like a game you can sit down and play. It felt like it was always extra work you had to do to play it right. I wouldn't mind a simpler basketball game. Neogaf is loving Live too, which is surprising.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Rodster wrote:I certainly would love another NBA Street.

Me too though after the first one, it wasn't as fluid.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

So I reinstalled 2K14 today and just played a quick game, and then loaded up Live 15. And yeah, there really just isn't any comparison. I ended up just deleting the Live 15 trial. I will just pick up 2K15 when there is a decent deal, or my impulse control gets the better of me.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I looked at some vids and looks like the colors are washed out on live. Is that accurate?

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I wouldn't call them washed out, but they are less vibrant. I think that aspect does look better.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'm sure all are aware but there is a "casual" mode in 2K15 that plays more like an arcade game.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I was able to check it out for a quarter before my son commandeered the console for some Project Spark. I had fun with it. It's definitely not on 2k's level but I didn't want to stop playing. It was nice to have an alternative to a game I've been playing for so many years.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

ScoopBrady wrote:I was able to check it out for a quarter before my son commandeered the console for some Project Spark. I had fun with it. It's definitely not on 2k's level but I didn't want to stop playing. It was nice to have an alternative to a game I've been playing for so many years.
I had the same feeling. 2K14 has a ton more polish but it's nice to see Live somewhat back in the game. Some of the animations are too clunky and sluggish. Graphically I was impressed. Next year could be the year they make a bigger leap.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Still having fun with the EA Access Live preview. Some nice updates to the game today (full version release day). Had a great game with Portland yesterday. I really like the defensive mechanic in Live. In 2k15 I get frustrated on D. In Live I can actually stay in front of my opponent. Definitely some positives in Live.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Game is great...waiting for my $15 credit from Sony next week and then I'm going to purchase. Loving the demo...already sick of playing with OKC and Cleveland though but this is the most fun I've had with a basketball game in a long long time.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Bottom line is the game is fun. I like the controls. I actually feel like I'm controlling my players on D. I am playing on All Star and having great games. It doesn't have 2Ks animation level but, to me, it's more enjoyable. Graphically its is fine. I wish the animations were a bit more cleaned up. I am now leaning towards purchasing.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Hasn't this always been a year away? The last non-2k NBA game I liked was "inside drive". But even that was more wishing than reality.
Last edited by greggsand on Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Was pleasantly surprised by the demo. I can certainly see why some would find a lot to enjoy. The strides NBA Live has made in a year is remarkable. But just as I watched videos last week of the game, and now playing it, it's still a year or two away from competing with 2K15. It reminds me a bit of the last NCAA March Madness game from EA in how it plays. A little too generic compared to the other game.

Animations need to be cleaned up, controls need to be a bit more responsive, and more individual differences between players, and I think the game will compete very soon.

At the very least, looking forward to a rental and seeing how the updates improve upon an ascending game.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yikes. Play this and 2K back to back and it's painfully obvious that Live is still 2-3 years away from even competing w this years 2k.

Graphically Live can easily compete. Once the game moves tho...whoa. Animations are ps2 quality.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Yikes. Play this and 2K back to back and it's painfully obvious that Live is still 2-3 years away from even competing w this years 2k.

Graphically Live can easily compete. Once the game moves tho...whoa. Animations are ps2 quality.
All true. That being said, I love the way I can actually control my players (and their momentum), especially on D, in Live. Sometimes the animations in 2K, which are beautiful, are too much. If I could stay in front of my defender in 2K like I can in Live I'd be a happy gamer.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25