Madden 15

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Madden 15

Post by Aristo »

Cut scenes? That's what the A button is for.

My running may have been a Chiefs and Jamal Charles thing.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:How's the dome lighting look in STL and other domes? I'm reading visually the game looks much better in outdoor stadiums.

Are you guys seeing ad nauseum the same cut scenes over and over? That was a main beef of mine last year. I could live with the rather limited commentary but the same cut scenes really killed the overall presentation.

I gave Madden 25's gameplay a 7.5-8 last year, and from what I've read, it sounds improved which is great to read.
For STL dome.. lighting to me looks just like it does when I'm there. :) Like DB had mentioned, outdoor sunny games always look better than inside a dome.

Most of the cut scenes are to the sidelines with the coaches like a real game.. I do hit the A button from time to time.

Game play is great imho thus far.. really enjoying it and I haven't even thought of putting NCAA into the 360 since I've had it. :) Just pre-purchased the digital copy. I just wonder if there is going to be a patch for what most are saying are broken sim stats?

Oh and I'm playing WITH Bradford in my franchise. LOL! :lol:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

sportdan30 wrote:Are you guys seeing ad nauseum the same cut scenes over and over? That was a main beef of mine last year. I could live with the rather limited commentary but the same cut scenes really killed the overall presentation.
There aren't repeated cut scenes anymore, because they did away with them entirely. Now the players all have celebration tendencies of some kind, and they just do it on the field--then they capture that from one of the cameras in the stadium. They hired an NFL films guy to revamp the way they did their post-play stuff, and it worked.

What I have seen are some repeated celebrations on TD's and stuff so far. But the general cutscenes are from different angles, different spots on the field so very rarely do you see the same thing repeated. I even "tested" a few times and went into replay mode after a play, and checked the player celebrating. They do, indeed, just celebrate wherever they are on the field. It's not a canned cutscene.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

TCrouch wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Are you guys seeing ad nauseum the same cut scenes over and over? That was a main beef of mine last year. I could live with the rather limited commentary but the same cut scenes really killed the overall presentation.
There aren't repeated cut scenes anymore, because they did away with them entirely. Now the players all have celebration tendencies of some kind, and they just do it on the field--then they capture that from one of the cameras in the stadium. They hired an NFL films guy to revamp the way they did their post-play stuff, and it worked.

What I have seen are some repeated celebrations on TD's and stuff so far. But the general cutscenes are from different angles, different spots on the field so very rarely do you see the same thing repeated. I even "tested" a few times and went into replay mode after a play, and checked the player celebrating. They do, indeed, just celebrate wherever they are on the field. It's not a canned cutscene.
That's great to hear! Presentation has always been lacking with the Madden franchise. Finally, they've made some steady improvements over the last few years.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'm going to play a higher rated team on the road later tonight and up the penalties a notch as well as the sub in/out - at least for HB's if it's by player.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Oh, by the way, I had Dwayne Bowe called for offensive pass interference on a TD pass. But that was the only penalty called in all of my games.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Despite the stuff they said about seeing more Holding, offsides and false start penalties this year I don't buy it. First they seem to only consider penalties from a player vs player standpoint. Second the False start and Defensive offside are from the new mechanic and IMO have never really been an issue. I haven't seen one person say holding is called more yet.

This is my personal opinion only but I don't think this is fixable in Madden ever. Whatever legacy system is in place for penalties was broken a long time ago and if it was fixable it would of been done by now.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

My theory is that it is not broken. There is a part of our brain that reacts negatively when a CPU controlled player commits a penalty, killing a drive or giving up a first down. EA is just banking on low to nonexistent penalties helping sales more than it hurts.

And yes, I know it should be easy to allow sim gamers to set it to realistic, but I've seen way to many sim gamers freak out over stuff because it never feels fair when it happens in a game. I played a NCAA OD with penalties turned up, and despite the numbers being similar to real life, people still threw fits. we all wanted a sim experience, but no one could stand a holding penalty killing a drive.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I thought I saw an interview a while back that said something along the lines of "Penalties aren't fun. Our core players don't enjoy losing a game because of penalties."

I understand that, but make the bloody sliders work. And then, make it tie into a discipline trait or something, where you don't have All-Pro Left Tackles taking holding penalties unless they're facing J.J. Watt 1 on 1. I mean, there has to be a fairly simple rating vs. rating effect here that could do it. Same with PI, or any number of other things.

But it's true--if we wanted it to be "sim", I doubt I could stomach 20+ penalties a game like we've seen this year in the preseason 8O

It will never be fixed, because they don't want to fix it. Not that they CAN'T fix it, IMO.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I just got smoked by the Chiefs 35-10

I turned all penalties up +5 and had 5 in my game.. going to bump them up another +5 next game. I did see a roughing the passer though. (so the sliders seem to be working)

Sub in/out still needs some work, but at +5 out, the backup RB's are getting a tad more carries. I did a +5 for my DE's as well.

Charles had 198 yards rushing on me though.. what a damn beast!

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

The Chiefs are not rated super high, I think they are 84 or 82, but they have some serious talent in places that matter. The main thing I noticed when playing as them is that Dwayne Bowe is a freaking beast. If only he would play like that in real life. Plus their Fasano caught everything I threw at him. Defensively, they are a pass rush nightmare, and have some great LBs.

They won't be that good in real life.

I also noticed that there was a roster update during the early access that got De’Anthony Thomas on the field, and he is a return monster, too.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Aristo wrote:The Chiefs are not rated super high, I think they are 84 or 82, but they have some serious talent in places that matter. The main thing I noticed when playing as them is that Dwayne Bowe is a freaking beast. If only he would play like that in real life. Plus their Fasano caught everything I threw at him. Defensively, they are a pass rush nightmare, and have some great LBs.

I also noticed that there was a roster update during the early access that got De’Anthony Thomas on the field, and he is a return monster, too.
Planning on playing a separate franchise with the Chiefs and getting very familiar with them, because if the Rams move, that's who I'm going to be following. They were my adopted team back when I was at KU.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

sportdan30 wrote:
Aristo wrote:The Chiefs are not rated super high, I think they are 84 or 82, but they have some serious talent in places that matter. The main thing I noticed when playing as them is that Dwayne Bowe is a freaking beast. If only he would play like that in real life. Plus their Fasano caught everything I threw at him. Defensively, they are a pass rush nightmare, and have some great LBs.

Planning on playing a separate franchise with the Chiefs and getting very familiar with them, because if the Rams move, that's who I'm going to be following. They were my adopted team back when I was at KU.
I moved from St. Louis to KC in 1982. Once the Cards left, I just became a Chiefs fan. I moved back to St. Louis in '98, and kept the Chiefs as my team.

I like the Rams. I really hated the Martz years, but it has been interesting to see them try and rebuild. It just sucks that bradford had to go down. Maybe Shaun Hill catches lightning in a bottle.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Charles rushed like the beast that he is.. lol.. I love how the CPU will run on you, especially when it's working.

I have to make my reads so quick because you're right.. they have one heck of a pass rush. OLB Justin Houston was everywhere for the Chiefs.

I'm still learning though.. and throwing way too many picks. The Rams still don't really have a stud WR to throw too.. so I tend to lean on my TE's and Stacy.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

any difference between XB1 and PS4 versions this year?

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Inuyasha wrote:any difference between XB1 and PS4 versions this year?
Does it actually matter at this point? I mean, we could beat the PS4 power supremacy to death again. Maybe we could copy and paste it from another thread?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Played the equivalent of one game. A half against the Browns and the Chiefs.

Visually, it looks very nice. A definite step up from last year.

Love the presentation elements. Nice real time camera angles, enhanced crowd, etc. Commentary while still limited, there seems to be more emotion. The game feels alive. In the past, it seemed more robotic in presentation.

Not sure how I feel about the new gameplay view. One is close (great for running) and another is a bit too far away (better for passing). It's a little tough for these old eyes on the passing routes, but I'm sure I'll adjust. Might not be so nice when playing head to head as I'm sure my son and I will have different preferences.

Really liking the defensive camera switch to a lineman. Guessing the snap is tricky, but enjoy the game inside the game.

Gameplay wise, as I've read, defense is the name of the game. Maybe I need to practice, but it seems there won't be a lot of track races to pay dirt on every possession. On my first play from scrimmage, Stacy took it 15 yards on a pitch on All Pro. Thinking the pitch is still money like in Madden 15, I failed to pick up any yards the rest of the half going left or right. I was able to bust a couple 5 and 7 yard gains up the middle but they were all earned. Passing is difficult if not just because of the camera angles. I'm finding the windows being much tighter than any previous versions. You really have to time the routes and perhaps throw the ball much earlier.

Overall, very happy with my initial play time. The digital version went very smoothly and I was up and playing as the clock struck 11 pm. Now I'm paying for it as I'm going on less then 6 hours of sleep.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Personally, in regards to just the look and feel of the game, the last time I felt this much of a leap forward was the first time I saw NFL 2K on the Dreamcast.

It's not perfect game, but there is a lot here to enjoy.

Right now, the DL mechanic is a lot of fun. It helps that I'm the Chiefs, which means using Tamba Hali, Justin Houston, or Dontari Poe to blow up OL's, but it is a welcome change. The challenge is timing the RT with the snap to get a good jump, which risks jumping offsides. Then it is a QTE to hit A or X to execute a move. It's actually done very well, and is more fun than it seems.

You can use the Dpad to change the camera on the fly presnap, including a camera from behind the defensive player for the DL play. So when I am on offense, I click to a tight camera for running the ball, and then pull back to pass. It's quick, intuitive, and easy. And the game looks even better the closer you get.

I'm not sure about the new arc for kicking. They have made it crazy was to be accurate, but it can be turned off. I like for FGs, but less for punting. Well, it is cool to pull off coffin corner kicks, but it feels like cheating.

I was getting zero penalties on default, which is 50/100. I bumped ever penalty up to 55(thanks MizzouRah), and I started getting them, by it didn't feel overblown. There is probably going to be a good balance here. And hitting RT to early on defense is not an automatic offsides, the guy might get back. It looks and feels right.

I think it is a great, fun game of football. I miss the college game, but I don't see myself going back at this point. This, unlike last year's game, really feels like a next gen sports game.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Aristo wrote:Personally, in regards to just the look and feel of the game, the last time I felt this much of a leap forward was the first time I saw NFL 2K on the Dreamcast.

It's not perfect game, but there is a lot here to enjoy.
This is exactly where I've been. That's why I was stunned to read "more of the same" type of comments, but we see that each year no matter what. I haven't had the itch to go back and play in years like I have this year. Especially when I go back and play Madden 25 now, it seems they simply ported the 360 version and were working on this one an extra year like NHL. But they HAD to release a Madden, so they claimed last year's was the next gen one, all along planning to release this one.

There's no possible way that the overhaul from M25 PS4 to M15 happened in less than a year. It's just so far past the previous year's edition on every level--presentation, play calling, animations and player behavior, etc. I go through a game wondering if I'm seeing the same animations or not, and I haven't seen it yet. Everything just looks very organic, players helping each other up, celebrating on the ground, etc. Very few "skip this" button presses from me.

But the biggest part--it engages whatever part of my brain is reserved for watching "real" games. I end up with fist-pumping, jump out of my chair type excitement, or the nail biting tension of another team driving down the field on me that I can't stop. I haven't had a football video game do that to me in a long, long time.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Agree with both of your sentiments. In some respect, I feel ripped off because it's now apparent that Madden 25 was truly a port with very slight improved visuals.

Madden 15 is a pretty significant upgrade visually, but also in terms of atmosphere. Madden has always lacked proper atmosphere and quickly the game felt dry and emotionless. This version is such a difference and as stated in my impressions, feels so much more alive. The players have such more realistic emotion that you feel the immersion. I guess I wasn't anticipating just how much emphasis they were putting in this area. I'm really impressed.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

Question for PS4 users...Can you still save in the middle of the game by turning the game off and then resuming it later?

Thanks.

Rick

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

You guys are right...THIS feels like a proper next gen release. Last years was nice and all, but it def felt the same, or at least similar to the 360/PS3 version. This year is completely different. You just have much more control over what goes on on the field...it just feels a lot more precise and 1:1 whereas last year felt a bit disconnected. Not sure why really...maybe they really improved the physics/momentum based stuff w/ a year to work on the new engine. Either way, I dig it. And the graphics...significantly improved, especially the lighting and collision detection. Not nearly as much rag-dolling from weird hits and angles, which makes it look a lot more realistic.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

One thing that was kind of cool was that when booting up Madden 15 for the first time last night, it immediately asked me if I wanted to finish the game I was playing when it cut me off when my early access timer went off. So that was cool. I proceeded to finish up my beatdown of Tennessee, winning 41-10.

Today I played a road game with the Chiefs at San Francisco. It was a much better and closer game. It was a see-saw battle than SF won with a TD with 35 seconds left to go up 20-17. I had a kickoff return for a TD that was pretty cool. If you are on my friends list, I have it on my activity feed. I also have a couple of other plays that just look like good football. One is a sack of Kapernick with several guys getting hits in. The other was a nice nine yard run by Jamal Charles, breaking tackles and getting those extra yards at the end.

The game needs some penalty and QB accuracy tweaks, as well as something to reduce the number of human qB sacks. But nothing is way off.

I'm kind of surprised to be so positive about a Madden game.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Aristo wrote:The game needs some penalty and QB accuracy tweaks, as well as something to reduce the number of human qB sacks. But nothing is way off.
Again, on the money, IMO. Only issues I've had with it, but I haven't done the 'penalties at 55' thing yet. I know that the sliders in the past were screwy. Roughing the Passer was non existent at 50, 51, 52. At 53, you'd get a couple maybe, but then at 54 you'd get one every 5th play. They should just have penalty sliders with a few boxes, for averages. None, Lower than Average, Average, and Strict.

Then call based on ratings of the players. All of this 0-100 business is just useless when you only go a couple of ticks either way and get vastly different results based on the penalty.

But overall, yes. QB accuracy, lowering human sacks and we're in business. Although I did play a game last night as the Bears and only notched 2 sacks with Lamarr Houston. Then E.J. Manuel only went something like 62% against me. I had to throw a TD with :18 left to win it 24-21, and damn near gave up a hail mary for the losing score. It's rare for a QB to go under 70% against my defense, though.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Any feedback on the 360 or PS3 versions for us primitive gamers? Same improvements in defense, presentation and gameplay feel as current-gen versions?
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425