The NFL 2014-2015

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The NFL 2014-2015

Post by Brando70 »

That seems like a poor use of money by Miami. Suh is a great DT, but he's still just a DT. That's like paying top dollar for a safety.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Brando70 wrote:That seems like a poor use of money by Miami. Suh is a great DT, but he's still just a DT. That's like paying top dollar for a safety.
I agree. If Miami was one or two players away then I could see it. Even with Suh they'll still be a mediocre team. Now they'll have to make up for it in the draft. Good luck with that since Tannenbaum is handling that.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Frank Gore to the Eagles.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

B. Maxwell will be a big boost for the Eagles secondary. Although, SEA tried a last minute package to keep him they just can't match the $50 million that's being thrown around for him while Wilson is due for a big raise. There's a lot of cash being thrown around for sure.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
Brando70 wrote:That seems like a poor use of money by Miami. Suh is a great DT, but he's still just a DT. That's like paying top dollar for a safety.
I agree. If Miami was one or two players away then I could see it. Even with Suh they'll still be a mediocre team. Now they'll have to make up for it in the draft. Good luck with that since Tannenbaum is handling that.
Panic move. The Pats still reign, the Bills are beefing up, and the Jets made a splash by signing Marshall. So the Dolphins thought they had to respond.

But Miami has one significant advantage over Buffalo and the Jets: The Dolphins have a decent young quarterback around which to build. That's the magic bullet for NFL success.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Niners brass denying they're trying to trade kap. We're trying to sign hoyer

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:
Panic move. The Pats still reign, the Bills are beefing up, and the Jets made a splash by signing Marshall. So the Dolphins thought they had to respond.

But Miami has one significant advantage over Buffalo and the Jets: The Dolphins have a decent young quarterback around which to build. That's the magic bullet for NFL success.
It wasn't a panic move at all. It was filling the one giant hole in the defense. The money was too much, but that's what you get when you go after top 5 players. As for the Dolphins having a young QB...that is a good point, until you realize they need to extend his contract next year (or possibly this year) and then the huge advantage is gone. Oh, and he's got one legit WR to throw to, so that should work out well. Hope Landry can catch 150 balls.

The Jets getting Marshall is a joke...the Jets are not going to be good for at least 5 years so just...stop.

The Bills restructuring a contract for a running back who was UNDER an already expensive contract was the most puzzling thing I've read this offseason so far. Why? Just to increase the guaranteed money to a RB coming off a down year? Makes no sense at all. Zero. Still love the trade for them, but the contract...eesh. And now the rumors are out there that they are going to severely overpay Charles Clay to pry him away from Miami who transition tagged him...coming off a down year. That may not work out so well.

Yes, NE will be NE. Until Brady retires, that will always be the statement.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Does Tannehill deserve a big extension?

Are they going to be able to keep other key players like Wake if they also give Tannehill a contract with about $40-50 million guaranteed?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:Does Tannehill deserve a big extension?

Are they going to be able to keep other key players like Wake if they also give Tannehill a contract with about $40-50 million guaranteed?
Deserve a big extension? Don't think so...YET. He's going into the last year of his rookie deal this year but rumor is they want to extend him earlier for cap purposes, but I don't think it's time yet. His numbers across the board have improved, tho he still can't throw a ball over 20 yards accurately at all. I think another year of improvement will justify a fat extension, but to me, after thinking more and more about it, I really hope they wait. I'm convinced he won't lose games for you, but to that effect, he's not going to win many himself either.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Wasn't the big question last year whether or not he was a bust--until he played Oakland?

I thought that was a big topic, where they were debating whether or not to move on from him? And, as Oakland has done countless times, they make struggling QBs look like Hall of Famers. If confidence was all he needed, the Raiders were the perfect fit to help him turn around and get a big payday.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:Wasn't the big question last year whether or not he was a bust--until he played Oakland?

I thought that was a big topic, where they were debating whether or not to move on from him? And, as Oakland has done countless times, they make struggling QBs look like Hall of Famers. If confidence was all he needed, the Raiders were the perfect fit to help him turn around and get a big payday.
He definitely wasn't a bust. In 2013 it was a concern because he didn't know how to read defenses and get rid of the ball on time. He improved on that immensely this year, so it appears he's turned the corner on bust-potential, and he's a solid QB. I just don't think he's someone you invest 100 million in just yet. He needs to improve on the deep ball or it's a waste of time. You don't win consistently without at least the threat of a deep ball.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Not getting what the Eagles are doing right now. I understand wanting to not be saddled with a lot of salary for McCoy, but he's still one of the better RBs in the league. Given how much cap room they already had before that move, I don't get why they couldn't find a way to restructure that McCoy was happy with, or just keep him because they already had so much room and the salary wouldn't kill them this year. Maybe after free agency and the draft are over, it will make more sense, but right now they look like they are trying to reverse last year's 10-6 record.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I can see not wanting to pay a RB more than $4-5 million these days.

The position is being devalued more and more.

I've heard that Kelly believes he can make his offense work with any players but it's defense where he wants better players. So they're paying a lot for Maxwell.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:He needs to improve on the deep ball or it's a waste of time. You don't win consistently without at least the threat of a deep ball.
Don't tell that to Tom Brady. He only made 48 pass attempts longer than 21 yards last season, completing just 25 percent of those throws. Brady attempted 517 passes of 20 yards or less, completing 68 percent of those throws.

Brady had the fifth-lowest percentage of throws at least 21 yards downfield among the 20 QBs who started 14 or more games last season. The only guys worse at heaving the ball long were Alex Smith, Ryan Tannehill, Drew Brees and Eli Manning.

But the season still worked out OK for Brady. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:He needs to improve on the deep ball or it's a waste of time. You don't win consistently without at least the threat of a deep ball.
Don't tell that to Tom Brady. He only made 48 pass attempts longer than 21 yards last season, completing just 25 percent of those throws. Brady attempted 517 passes of 20 yards or less, completing 68 percent of those throws.

Brady had the fifth-lowest percentage of throws at least 21 yards downfield among the 20 QBs who started 14 or more games last season. The only guys worse at heaving the ball long were Alex Smith, Ryan Tannehill, Drew Brees and Eli Manning.

He's got a good coach tho. So there.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Brando70 wrote:Not getting what the Eagles are doing right now.
Chip Kelly is a genius, just ask him he will tell you.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:

He's got a good coach tho. So there.
True dat.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Danimal wrote:
Show me where he said anything that leads you to say that. Everyone is assuming a hell of a lot with Kelly. He hasn't said one thing about his 'plan'...especially whether he wants Mariota or not. The only people who claim to know what the Eagles and Kelly are planning are the typical bullwinkle media members. If Kelly makes any statement then have at. Until then let's watch it play out.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Diablo25 wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Show me where he said anything that leads you to say that.
How you going to feel if the genius leverages the farm to move up for Marcus Mariota?
Follow Me on:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Danimal wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Show me where he said anything that leads you to say that.
How you going to feel if the genius leverages the farm to move up for Marcus Mariota?
What if what it what if. That's my point. What if NE wanted to deal Brady to Philly for Foles and this year's 20th pick in the first round? What if Andrew Luck was offered to Philly for the same deal? It's all bullshit talk by people who aren't the coach. Some 'Insider' throws out a scenario and the Twitterverse shits itself and gives it a life of its own. I honestly picture Kelly sitting in his office chuckling over all this.

Once FA in over and the draft is over we all can START rating Kelly's "genius".

BTW, Kelly's first two years in the NFL - Two 10 win seasons. First year takes a shitty 6-10 team to 10-6 and an NFC East title. Year two = 10 wins with his backup QB under center for 2/3 of the season.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Diablo25 wrote: BTW, Kelly's first two years in the NFL - Two 10 win seasons. First year takes a shitty 6-10 team to 10-6 and an NFC East title. Year two = 10 wins with his backup QB under center for 2/3 of the season.
LOL it's come to 10 win seasons with no Superbowl appearances to impress Philly fans now? haha, lets see if Gore really changes his mind who they replace McCoy with.
Follow Me on:

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

Suh deal I don't get. JJ Watt money but he's nowhere near as dynamic as Watt. He's basically a 3 technique. Best DT in the league bar none, but his impact isn't the same as Watt. He's getting paid more than Brady, Manning or Rodgers at this point. $60 million guaranteed, this is likely going to hurt Miami in the near future. Good acquisition but I think they overpaid in order to get him early. I get what they are doing, I just am not sure it was a prudent move long term.

As far as Chip Kelly, I don't get the negatvity. He's won since he got there, and turned around a bad team in a short period of time. The McCoy trade makes sense to me, as they filled a position of weakness with a guy who could start there for the next decade. They already have depth at RB, it's a ridiculously deep RB draft and McCoy is trending down as a player. Can't judge the Eagles moves for a year or two until we see how many games they win or lose.

I've seen the Eagles criticized for the Maclin move. But they offered him $9 million, and the Chiefs offered him $11 million. Maclin is not an $11 million WR, hell I am not even sure he's a $9 million WR. Again, the WR depth in this draft is ridiculously deep, and there's talent in the FA market as well. Maclin is easily replaced. Not to mention he's had one outstanding year in 7 years in the league. I never saw him as an elite #1 type WR. Addition by subtraction in this case imo.

The Eagles are not going to sell the farm for Mariota, it's literally impossible for them to trade up that many spots to have a chance to get him. It's simply not happening, barring something crazy happening ala Mike Ditka trading an entire draft class for that pick. That being said, tough to criticize Kelly until he fails, and he's not failed the Eagles thus far. He took a team that was 12-20 in the previous 2 years before he got there, and has gone 20-12 (.625) as a coach. Not bad for a guy who the same people kept repeating his offense and style of play would never work in the NFL.
-BK

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Danimal wrote:
Diablo25 wrote: BTW, Kelly's first two years in the NFL - Two 10 win seasons. First year takes a shitty 6-10 team to 10-6 and an NFC East title. Year two = 10 wins with his backup QB under center for 2/3 of the season.
LOL it's come to 10 win seasons with no Superbowl appearances to impress Philly fans now? haha, lets see if Gore really changes his mind who they replace McCoy with.
Ahhhh, the classic SB argument. Didn't see that one coming. The Eagles were brutal two years ago. 6 wins, Reid fired, etc. Sure I'll take a SB but I'm also a realist. Most people don't actually consider how difficult winning a world title is in any sport. You are now in that club. Your argument is hollow...but you already knew that. You are entitled to your opinion. All I ask is you be realistic with your points. Also, I'm still waiting for the "evidence" that Kelly is a self proclaimed genius.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

bkrich83 wrote:Suh deal I don't get. JJ Watt money but he's nowhere near as dynamic as Watt. He's basically a 3 technique. Best DT in the league bar none, but his impact isn't the same as Watt. He's getting paid more than Brady, Manning or Rodgers at this point. $60 million guaranteed, this is likely going to hurt Miami in the near future. Good acquisition but I think they overpaid in order to get him early. I get what they are doing, I just am not sure it was a prudent move long term.

As far as Chip Kelly, I don't get the negatvity. He's won since he got there, and turned around a bad team in a short period of time. The McCoy trade makes sense to me, as they filled a position of weakness with a guy who could start there for the next decade. They already have depth at RB, it's a ridiculously deep RB draft and McCoy is trending down as a player. Can't judge the Eagles moves for a year or two until we see how many games they win or lose.

I've seen the Eagles criticized for the Maclin move. But they offered him $9 million, and the Chiefs offered him $11 million. Maclin is not an $11 million WR, hell I am not even sure he's a $9 million WR. Again, the WR depth in this draft is ridiculously deep, and there's talent in the FA market as well. Maclin is easily replaced. Not to mention he's had one outstanding year in 7 years in the league. I never saw him as an elite #1 type WR. Addition by subtraction in this case imo.

The Eagles are not going to sell the farm for Mariota, it's literally impossible for them to trade up that many spots to have a chance to get him. It's simply not happening, barring something crazy happening ala Mike Ditka trading an entire draft class for that pick. That being said, tough to criticize Kelly until he fails, and he's not failed the Eagles thus far. He took a team that was 12-20 in the previous 2 years before he got there, and has gone 20-12 (.625) as a coach. Not bad for a guy who the same people kept repeating his offense and style of play would never work in the NFL.
Well said dude...well said. I still wouldn't be shocked if the Mariota thing materialized. I really don't think its that far fetched.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Chip Kelly has produced two consecutive 10-win seasons with Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez at QB. He can talk all he wants.