OT: Xfinity/Comcast Question

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Xfinity/Comcast Question

Post by Diablo25 »

Got a question for anyone who can answer. I am a Comcast customer here in Pa and I recently got a 'Complimentary Account Review' notice in the mail. Basically, I can upgrade to the new X1 platform, etc., etc. I have a few friends who have gotten the X1 promotion and love it...told me to call and check out their promotions. Before I do I wanted to see if anyone here has X1 and has any comments. Thanks ahead of time fellas.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: OT: Xfinity/Comcast Question

Post by MERACE »

I have Xfinity's X1 platform and I really like it. The menu is easy to read and navigate and the Anyroom DVR capability works well.

My only complaint with the Anyroom DVR is that you can only pause and rewind live shows on the main cable box.

-MERACE

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

The X1 thing looks pretty cool. My worry is once the 'promotional' period ends they jack the price up. I don't really want the voice/phone plan they have as part of the 'Triple Play'. Plus, I don't think you can use your own modem with the Triple Play. I'm kinda on the fence on whether or not I want to pull the trigger.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Diablo25 wrote:The X1 thing looks pretty cool. My worry is once the 'promotional' period ends they jack the price up. I don't really want the voice/phone plan they have as part of the 'Triple Play'. Plus, I don't think you can use your own modem with the Triple Play. I'm kinda on the fence on whether or not I want to pull the trigger.
AFAIK you have to use their modem for phone and internet if you have Triple Play....have had ZERO issues with anything other than the older generation DVR which led me to DirecTV which has been trouble free for me other than being really slow in menus both in the main room and remote rooms....

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Nothing wrong with using a providers modem. Just be sure to hook it up to a proper wifi router.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Nothing wrong with using a providers modem. Just be sure to hook it up to a proper wifi router.
Good to know.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Nothing wrong with using a providers modem. Just be sure to hook it up to a proper wifi router.
Yep. I had to bridge the modem over to my Belkin wifi router to get the signal quality and speed to the computers in my basement.

-MERACE

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Diablo25 wrote:The X1 thing looks pretty cool. My worry is once the 'promotional' period ends they jack the price up. I don't really want the voice/phone plan they have as part of the 'Triple Play'. Plus, I don't think you can use your own modem with the Triple Play. I'm kinda on the fence on whether or not I want to pull the trigger.
I have "MagicJack" for my landline phone so I did not need Comcast Triple Play package. However, I was told that I would be required to have the Triple Play package to be eligible for the X1 platform. The cost was sill lower than what I had with my previous provider (Wowway).

I'm fortunate in that where I live we have 3 cable competitors (Comcast, Wowway, AT&T) so it's fairly easy for me to negotiate a price reduction when the rates inevitably rise. :D

-MERACE

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

MERACE wrote:
I have "MagicJack" for my landline phone so I did not need Comcast Triple Play package. However, I was told that I would be required to have the Triple Play package to be eligible for the X1 platform. The cost was sill lower than what I had with my previous provider (Wowway).

I'm fortunate in that where I live we have 3 cable competitors (Comcast, Wowway, AT&T) so it's fairly easy for me to negotiate a price reduction when the rates inevitably rise. :D

-MERACE
Yeah, I could care less about the phone stuff but the Triple Play deal is cheaper than just TV and Internet. I MIGHT go with the Triple Play....I'll just never use the phone.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

MERACE wrote:

-MERACE
I would about kill for one cable competitor let alone two here in the S. IND "boondocks".
Currently Playing: Battlefield V, American Fugitive, Madden NFL 19, Golf Club 2019

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I used to follow the AVS thread on the X1. Seemed like there was a lot of growing pains, with the thing not recording when it was suppose to, etc.

Maybe it's improved, though Comcast has already talked about X2 and cloud DVR. Sounds more like a front-end for On Demand.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

wco81 wrote:I used to follow the AVS thread on the X1. Seemed like there was a lot of growing pains, with the thing not recording when it was suppose to, etc.

Maybe it's improved, though Comcast has already talked about X2 and cloud DVR. Sounds more like a front-end for On Demand.
I have zero problems with recording (up to 4 programs at once) on X1 and I've had it for over 6 months now. I'm curious about what Comcast has in store for the X2 platform other than cloud DVR.

-MERACE

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

I've been having a problem with playing recorded programs on the other boxes. Keep getting an error message. From my research there isn't a fix.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I just got a solid deal on Comcast's Triple Play deal...plus the rep threw in a $150 gift card. I did my research so I knew exactly what to expect. With all of the bad press Comcast customer service has been getting lately I was expecting a bad experience with my order. Ironically, the guy I dealt with was great.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Diablo25 wrote:I just got a solid deal on Comcast's Triple Play deal...plus the rep threw in a $150 gift card. I did my research so I knew exactly what to expect. With all of the bad press Comcast customer service has been getting lately I was expecting a bad experience with my order. Ironically, the guy I dealt with was great.
Good for you Diablo25!

I've had excellent customer service from Comcast all the time I was a customer. After over 15 years with them I left them for a brief time (about a year) before I came back this year. The only reason I switched to another provider (Wowway) was because Comcast could not offer me the capability of recording and watching more than 2 programs at one time. I'm now able to record and watch up to 5 programs at one time with the X1 platform.

-MERACE

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Similar experience here with TimeWarner. Sometimes I think I'm the only content TW customer in North America.

I've never had a problem with changing or dropping service. I've easily been able to trim my bill through promotions and threats to leave for satellite. I've never waited more than a day or two for service, with 24 hours or less usually the norm.

Sure, I'd love better equipment and a la carte channel selection. But I'd like a 10-inch penis, too.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:Similar experience here with TimeWarner. Sometimes I think I'm the only content TW customer in North America.

I've never had a problem with changing or dropping service. I've easily been able to trim my bill through promotions and threats to leave for satellite. I've never waited more than a day or two for service, with 24 hours or less usually the norm.

Sure, I'd love better equipment and a la carte channel selection. But I'd like a 10-inch penis, too.
Yep, I plan on exploring a new deal once this two year deal is done. Bottom line is I'll be saving $500 over the next two years and getting better equipment and more premium channels.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25