MLB 14 The Show

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: MLB 14 The Show

Post by snaz16 »

got about 6 games or so with the ps3 version and its simply hands down the best baseball video game to date. Quick counts is a game changer for me. There has been talk about pitch counts too high and on AS. default they are. I dialed down the foul slider for both sides 2 notches and pitch counts seem reasonable. Your gonna have to pitch a gem to oitch a complete game which is good since there not that many anyways. QC. puts a premium on every pitch , which immerses you in the game at all times , not like the full pitch games of the past. Games move faster but not as much as you think. Everything play wise is smooth this year and the dynamic camera when the ball leaves the bat is drop dead gorgeous. I hit a screamer back up the middle and watched the pitcher move his head out of the way so not to get beaned. Good stuff. Ps4 version is going to be awesome !

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

MERACE wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Jesus, I just watched that video like 5 times in a row. I'm going to play the s*** out of that game.
Well I experienced a release from my decision constipation and finally pulled the trigger on the purchase of a PS4 last week. :wink:

I'd like to try playing a game online with you when the PS4 version releases. Hopefully, the online experience for the PS4 version of MLB 14 The Show will be better than it has been reported to be with the PS3 version.

-MERACE
We will Definitely give it a shot.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Someone left a review on Amazon which said that you can jump to a live game being played on TV and play the exact situation in The Show. Is that true? If so that is crazy.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Rodster wrote:Someone left a review on Amazon which said that you can jump to a live game being played on TV and play the exact situation in The Show. Is that true? If so that is crazy.
Haven't heard that.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Diablo25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Someone left a review on Amazon which said that you can jump to a live game being played on TV and play the exact situation in The Show. Is that true? If so that is crazy.
Haven't heard that.
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1YDZN3VTE ... hisHelpful

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Hands-on preview at OS. This game sounds more amazing every time I learn more about it.

http://www.operationsports.com/features ... eview-ps4/

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Brando70 wrote:Hands-on preview at OS. This game sounds more amazing every time I learn more about it.

http://www.operationsports.com/features ... eview-ps4/
Agree. May 6th can't come soon enough! This is going to be one gorgeous and entertaining playing game. That was a great write up.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Sorry if this is a repost, but click on the below link and then the video. It's only a little over a minute long, but WOW.

http://www.operationsports.com/news/722 ... 4-footage/

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Last edited by Sudz on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

sportdan30 wrote:Sorry if this is a repost, but click on the below link and then the video. It's only a little over a minute long, but WOW.

Brief but impressive. The night game footage looks amazing. Love to see details like flags blowing over the stadium.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:Check this gameplay on the PS4.

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2014/04/14/hun ... 4-gameplay
Looks great. Can't wait to give it a go.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I personally was not that impressed but understand we're watching a compressed video in less than HD. I have no doubt though it'll look amazing and believe we'll see videos very soon that show off the visuals even more. I found the whole Pence / Puig thing rather uncomfortable to watch.

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

Brando70 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Sorry if this is a repost, but click on the below link and then the video. It's only a little over a minute long, but WOW.

Brief but impressive. The night game footage looks amazing. Love to see details like flags blowing over the stadium.
I am playing the Show for the first time. Yes, I'm a cheap bastard. Bought a used PS3 and had some Gamestop credit, so I bought the Show 14. Wow I'm as amazed over the PS3 version as you old Show Veterans are over the PS4 version. Maybe I'll get to the PS4 in about 5 years :wink:

Anyway, coming from MLB 2K, they had the flags waving in the wind. However, when I played a couple of games today, the flags in the stadium are stiff, do the flags not wave in the PS3 version?
Currently Playing: Battlefield V, American Fugitive, Madden NFL 19, Golf Club 2019

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

bulls23 wrote:Anyway, coming from MLB 2K, they had the flags waving in the wind. However, when I played a couple of games today, the flags in the stadium are stiff, do the flags not wave in the PS3 version?
Seriously? I didn't know people actually cared about this. I'm hope you're being sarcastic. But to answer your question just in case you're not...nope, no flag waving. Only in the PS4 version. So you can look forward to that in 5 years.

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
bulls23 wrote:Anyway, coming from MLB 2K, they had the flags waving in the wind. However, when I played a couple of games today, the flags in the stadium are stiff, do the flags not wave in the PS3 version?
Seriously? I didn't know people actually cared about this. I'm hope you're being sarcastic. But to answer your question just in case you're not...nope, no flag waving. Only in the PS4 version. So you can look forward to that in 5 years.
I care about all details in baseball games. Thanks for the answer, admit I'm a bit surprised that flags don't blow in the wind and your reaction to my question. This is a serious sports gaming forum after all right?
Currently Playing: Battlefield V, American Fugitive, Madden NFL 19, Golf Club 2019

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I'm impressed. In terms of animations it looks pretty similar to this generation, but the details and lighting improvements are pretty obvious, even in a compressed web video.

Flags blowing in the wind may not be a component of gameplay, but all those little details can really add up to make a game more immersive. The gameplay has to come first, but one of the reasons games like The Show and NBA 2k are so much better than games like Madden is because they add so many of those details in addition to having great gameplay. When you have a sports game you might play 20 or 50 or 100 times, atmosphere does count for something.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

bulls23 wrote:I care about all details in baseball games. Thanks for the answer, admit I'm a bit surprised that flags don't blow in the wind and your reaction to my question. This is a serious sports gaming forum after all right?
Sports GAMING yes. Sports flag animation enthusiasts forum...no. I care about gameplay on the field first and foremost. You said it was in 2k but it was just generic. At least now they are going to be blowing the correct direction based on the real wind traits. If you care about that. ;)

Never really paid attention to the non waving flags until they made hub bub about them being animated in the ps4 version.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

f*** IGN. can't figure out s*** on their video page. all their ads.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

I'm a huge baseball purist...it's actually the only sport I follow passionately anymore. However, I'm still not drooling over MLB 14 for some reason - yet.

I also trust that the developers will continue to put in those "little things" that, cumulatively, will make the game feel like the real deal. For example, I remember being blown away seeing Jim Edmonds (I think) tipping his cap to the St. Louis fans while playing against them for the first time in an opposing uniform. Pretty awesome obviously.

Despite these nuances though, I really wish they'd re-vamp some of the presentation. I don't doubt that better lighting, textures, etc.. will make the game better, but my eyes and brain are so accustomed to seeing the current overlays, etc, that I've lost some of love I used to have for the game. Perhaps the dynamic camera will give me that feeling of newness that I'm looking for.

In terms quick counts, the more I think about it, the more I doubt I would use them. Most of the fun in batting/pitching for me is the sequence of pitches that leads to final play/outcome. Sure, hitting in a 1-2 count obviously means protecting the plate, but how did it get there? High fastballs? Will he now change speeds completely on me? Too much of the context is lost here.

I'm also a bitter that they've raised the prices for PS4 games here in Rob Ford nation (you may laugh, but it makes me cry). $69 plus %14 tax is enough to make me at least question why I want the game. Road to the Show is probably enough to keep me entertained all spring/summer/fall - I do appreciate that they've taken away the performance goals and that you can carry over RTTS from year to year.

Ok, I just talked myself back into this game...

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

fanatic wrote: Ok, I just talked myself back into this game...
Self-therapy is a beautiful thing. :D
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

fanatic wrote:I'm also a bitter that they've raised the prices for PS4 games here in Rob Ford nation (you may laugh, but it makes me cry). $69 plus %14 tax is enough to make me at least question why I want the game. Road to the Show is probably enough to keep me entertained all spring/summer/fall - I do appreciate that they've taken away the performance goals and that you can carry over RTTS from year to year.

Ok, I just talked myself back into this game...
It's horse crap and they blame it on the weak dollar. Really? I remember the days when our loonie was around 65 cents to the US...I also mentioned that the extra charge for the visuals wasn't going to warrant my purchase but with some trade-ins it made it a bit more tolerable. Also if you wait a couple of weeks, eventually the game will go back down to $60 as they are doing now with Infanous 2. But who wants to wait sometimes?

Still, most PS4 and Xbone games are $70 now and I am not too happy about that.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I noticed that practically every swing results in contact of some sort. Very few swing and misses. Even balls out of the strike zone get some contact. Would love to see more swings and misses.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I like the dynamic camera.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Hell yeah...those new cameras look fantastic.