MLB 14 The Show

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 14 The Show

Post by sportdan30 »

Quick counts are divine! Played a few innings at lunch. Hard to see in your car on a sunny day. One thing that needs to be tuned is foul frequency. Far too many at default. Other than that, mobile baseball is awesome!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Haven't seen any reviews yet.

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

I picked up the PS3 version yesterday. Did not get a whole lot of time in but can comment on a few things.

First off they changed the entire menu. I like it much better. It is hard to explain but they are large sections with pictures that you navigate. Is cleaner, I think.

Graphically, it looks brighter to me. I did play a day game and have not played at night yet. Animations were smooth and I did not have any hiccups.

I played an exhibition as the Reds at the Tigers. Both hitting and pitching on All Star, hitting I did zone while pitching I did pulse. The pulse is dark this year and a little hard to see. Might have to try a different mode this year pitching. The overall feel of the gameplay is much like last year as far as difficulty hitting and pitching is concerned. Fast balls do seem to get on you a little quicker though this year.

Fielding ground balls is similar to last year but they made a big change in fly balls. The marker starts out big like last year and gets smaller as the ball comes down but it keeps moving. So as you run for the fly ball you need to determine where the ball will come down. Not a big deal on a can of corn but long fly balls and balls hit in the gap will be much more difficult to catch. HR's look like they are in the park but the marker just keeps going and going until the ball is out of the park.

The new camera angle is dynamic view. It kind of is from the perspective of the hitter. Hitting I really like it but fielding I think I may switch back to broadcast. May just need time to adjust. It does give the game a new feel.

When checking the runner(s) as a pitcher, when you pull down on L2, the pitchers head turns and you get a great view of the runner leading off. A great new addition.

Lastly, I did play with Quick Count on. I usually do not mind playing a 1 hour or even longer game of baseball. If I can't finish I will just save and finish later. I did want to check this out though.

First impressions are I will not play many games this way. I can certainly see the appeal and will probably use it if I am in a pinch, but I think it will take away too much of the batter/pitcher matchup and strategy. I used Cueto while going against Sanchez and both pitchers had 90 pitches through 5 innings. Way too many full counts and 2-2 counts. Cueto has some control problems but I had 6 walks thru 5. Hitting, I like to work the count and get it in my favor; with this I cannot do that. With a hitter like Hamilton, bunting may not be a choice as the QC may give me 2 strikes right off the bat. Maybe I will get a better feel the more I play.

Overall, it is what I expected with a few nice touches thrown in. Would love to see and play the game on the PS4 but not pulling the trigger yet.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I've got about 3 hours in with the Show on Vita (some play now and an hour or so RTTS). It's extremely impressive that the changes Pete and others have discussed made the Vita version and that it is not just a glorified roster update. I think the graphics are substantially better and even the load times seem a lot better.

I agree with Pete on the quick counts and the dark pulse (which is really hard to see on Vita). It's a nice idea and I really like it for hitting but I am walking a TON while pitching. It does seem like something that needs tweaked because I agree there are too many 3-2, 2-1, 3-1 counts generated.

I'll post some more impressions later.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

The Show is one of the few games left that can turn me into a total gaming nerd for hours. I just can't see myself using the quick count feature at all. With it being the one game that I can really get into from a strategy point, quick counts would seem to really hinder that. I can't wait for May 6th.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Thanks for the impressions, guys. One question: is quick count an all-or-nothing setting, or can you turn it on separately for batting and hitting?

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

Brando70 wrote:Thanks for the impressions, guys. One question: is quick count an all-or-nothing setting, or can you turn it on separately for batting and hitting?
It is all or nothing, set the same for both teams.

You get a prompt before the game starts to have it on or off.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

sportdan30 wrote:Quick counts are divine! Played a few innings at lunch. Hard to see in your car on a sunny day. One thing that needs to be tuned is foul frequency. Far too many at default. Other than that, mobile baseball is awesome!
Reminds me back in 2002, me and a few guys at work, use to go into the parking lot, where one of our coworkers had a mini generator setup in his van, which we hooked the PS2 to and played High Heat during our lunch breaks. Funnest lunch breaks I've ever had.

How far we've come with mobile baseball gaming. :)

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Unreal. Absolutley gorgeous. This game is going to be freakin amazing!!

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Those stadiums are astounding. Love that the crowds are going to have so many more model types in them.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Oh...my. Tryin so hard to not pick up ANOTHER Vita and the 14 version in preparation. Must...resist. No 14 until the PS4 drops...wanna take it all in like I've never seen it before. Gonna be a LONG month.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Too many jaggies... lol.. just kidding... LOOKS FANTASTIC!

Wish 2k had MLB coming out for x1.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I looked at it again and I am a real sticker when it comes to grass color. Could have helped if the grass color was a bit darker green. No big deal, I'm sure the game will rock.

Looking forward to going back to HH like hitting engine. Never understood why other games didnt implement this.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Inuyasha wrote:I looked at it again and I am a real sticker when it comes to grass color. Could have helped if the grass color was a bit darker green. No big deal, I'm sure the game will rock.

Looking forward to going back to HH like hitting engine. Never understood why other games didnt implement this.
What is the HH hitting engine?
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Oh...my. Tryin so hard to not pick up ANOTHER Vita and the 14 version in preparation. Must...resist. No 14 until the PS4 drops...wanna take it all in like I've never seen it before. Gonna be a LONG month.
I was going to do the same but caved only a few hours after release and got the digital vita version :).

That video is gorgeous. That video is an example of why I play video games. Fun stuff.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Jesus, I just watched that video like 5 times in a row. I'm going to play the s*** out of that game.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Saw this on another site in response to the video :)

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Diablo25 wrote:Jesus, I just watched that video like 5 times in a row. I'm going to play the s*** out of that game.
Well I experienced a release from my decision constipation and finally pulled the trigger on the purchase of a PS4 last week. :wink:

I'd like to try playing a game online with you when the PS4 version releases. Hopefully, the online experience for the PS4 version of MLB 14 The Show will be better than it has been reported to be with the PS3 version.

-MERACE

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Seems like the developers are doing a lot of expectation tempering with the move to the PS4. Sure, the visuals are updated significantly, but it sounds like the rest (animations specifically) have not. I mean it's already the best simulation out there, so no biggie, visuals are enough for year 1, but I think from a gameplay standpoint we're going to have to wait till next year for the jump. So I guess the interview did what it was supposed to in my mind...expectations tempered.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Seems like the developers are doing a lot of expectation tempering with the move to the PS4. Sure, the visuals are updated significantly, but it sounds like the rest (animations specifically) have not. I mean it's already the best simulation out there, so no biggie, visuals are enough for year 1, but I think from a gameplay standpoint we're going to have to wait till next year for the jump. So I guess the interview did what it was supposed to in my mind...expectations tempered.
You could see the same animations in the PS4 clip, especially the one where the 1B fielded a grounder and tagged the bag. But visual upgrades alone will make this a day-1 purchase.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Aristo wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:I looked at it again and I am a real sticker when it comes to grass color. Could have helped if the grass color was a bit darker green. No big deal, I'm sure the game will rock.

What is the HH hitting engine?

Example : When the ball is high and you aim the stick high , your swing will be high trying to hit the high ball.

MVP/2K : When the ball is high, and you aim the stick low, you will still hit the ball and it'll go toward the direction of the stick, low..grounder.

HH/Show is more realistic.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

That's not true in regard to 2K. If you aim wrong you less likely to make contact, and if you do you are more likely to pop up or hit an easy grounder. Otherwise hitting up would be good for sac flies, and it is not.

It is useful to hit the ball into a hole on a hit and run, even if forcing it results in a weaker ground ball.

But if you go with the pitch, you will hit ball ball more solidly.

I don't use up or down much, but left and right is important, and it simulates a batter knowing to keep his shoulder in to go the other way and out to pull it. If you try to pull an outside pitch, you will miss it or hit it weakly.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »