MLB 14 The Show

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 14 The Show

Post by Diablo25 »

TCrouch wrote:Suddenly I'm catching myself watching games on TV, recognizing pitches and scenarios. Or the pitchers I used to hate in the game--the ones with just fastball/changeup/curve--becoming ones I find have the most effective versions of those pitches, and being able to work over hitters. Or discovering the beauty of the dreaded 2seam/4seam/cutter fastball array and working corners of the plate. "Here, 3 pitches that start out identical--good luck knowing if it's dipping outside or coming inside on that 1-2 count", etc.
:) Being a former catcher, this is one of my favorite things about the game. It used to be my job to call pitches and I miss messing with hitters :) Its a thing of beauty to set hitters up. I still get my fix calling pitches for my high school pitchers but the talent level is a bit different than pro ball :mrgreen: A very basic tip...when in doubt go with the Texas 2 Step method - think 3 pitch (yeah I know it's a called '2' step but whatever) combos - In In Out, Out Out In, Slow Slow Fast, Fast Fast Slow. Nice basic formula for calling/throwing pitches. Glad you are enjoying the game. It's definitely the best in the series and best ever on a console.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Currently about 30 games into my season with the Phillies. I've played every game...no generated counts and usually can complete a game in 45mins to an hour. Currently 1 game behind the Nats and heading into a 3 game series with them.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
TCrouch wrote:This f*cking game turned me into a baseball fan. It must be good.
Welcome to the club. The game is by far the best sports simulation on the market as far as I'm concerned.

I'm 41-29 w/ the Braves, a half game up on the Nats (who just took 2 of 3 from me) and I've played every inning. Usually by about this time I'm messing with Road to the Show or at least thinking about it. But this year I'm just looking forward to playing more games and trying to hold off the Nats.

Dynamic difficulty has made it so I can't go and run off 15-20 in a row like before...it just adjusts to make the game more realistic no matter what your skill level. By far my favorite addition to this years game. It's genius.
I am going to start a shortened season with the Reds using OSs rosters and I am interested in using the dynamic difficulty feature.

The question I have is, and correct me if I am wrong, does it start on Rookie then move up from there as you play? If that is the case, are your first few games really easy to win? How long before it gets to a point where it is the right amount of difficulty for how you play?

I don't want to start a shortened season and be 10 and 0 after 10.

Thanks.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yep, it does. I just started a new profile and decided to play every 3rd spring training game, personally. It put me on All Star Pitching and Veteran Hitting by the start of the season, which was what...7 games, I think?

I moved up pretty quickly, within 2 or 3 games. It doesn't sit on Rookie for long unless you struggle there, which would be tough to do. The hitting zone is a mile wide, and the pulse meter is really easy to hit early on. Yes, it's pretty easy to win like that though, which is why I burned the spring training games on it.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Discovered a bug in the game. Was getting ready to head into game 3 of my Phillies and Nats series and was checking out future pitching matchups for upcoming games the following week. I noticed that one of my games against Toronto only shows the pitcher for the Bluejays scheduled to start. I'm thinking that's odd....Cliff Lee should be starting that game for me. Well sure enough, I play game 3 against the Nats with Lee the starter and he breaks his arm on the first pitch of inning 2....so that's why he wasn't showing up for his next scheduled start. Anyway...lost all 3 to the Nats and I'm not currently 4 games out of 1st place!
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

tjung0831 wrote:Discovered a bug in the game. Was getting ready to head into game 3 of my Phillies and Nats series and was checking out future pitching matchups for upcoming games the following week. I noticed that one of my games against Toronto only shows the pitcher for the Bluejays scheduled to start. I'm thinking that's odd....Cliff Lee should be starting that game for me. Well sure enough, I play game 3 against the Nats with Lee the starter and he breaks his arm on the first pitch of inning 2....so that's why he wasn't showing up for his next scheduled start. Anyway...lost all 3 to the Nats and I'm not currently 4 games out of 1st place!
That's interesting. Though going forward, if you see that ahead of time, you could not start your pitcher that day and use a reliever or minor league call up. It's not exactly honest but if you don't want to lose an ace.

I think I have injuries turned down to 3. I was seeing way too many at default. Every day I was losing someone.

Rick

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

icvu42 wrote:I think I have injuries turned down to 3. I was seeing way too many at default. Every day I was losing someone.
I actually turn injuries all the way off. The fatigue model is already way too sensitive, so I'm having to rest guys that would normally be playing 155 games so they are on pace for around 135-140...so I figure that's the trade-off.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

yeah I wish I would have turned injuries off. The following game, I had Marlon Bird try to scale the wall to catch a fly ball......he missed and the ball hit him right on the top of the head and he's out for the season. I'm pretty much hosed for my season with those two injuries...32 games in and it's just drained me and I can't get fired up to play any more games! :lol:
Perhaps I'll start a new season somewhere else with injuries off and the latest roster update.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I'm in season three of my RTTS with my LF for the Astros and loving it. I thought I would miss pitching more but I love being able to zip through a series and trying to grow my player. I had two underwhelming seasons to start and actually feel a little pressure as a #1 pick, LOL. I started off season three on a rough streak, making a lot of contact but seeming to hit all of my hard hits right at players. After hitting around .200 the first month, I've rebounded to .260 in early June.

I found that bumping up my base stealing has also made the game more fun. I rarely tried to steal before, but now there's a lot more strategy involved with running and also more tension as the pickoff moves can be very deceptive.

I'm also digging trying to help this terrible Astros franchise grow. The team is flirting with .500 right now, and that feels like a huge advancement after two years of suckitude.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Pitched my first no hitter!!!....almost. 8 and two third innings by Lance Lynn and gave up a double to Pagan that Tavares almost tracked down. So close.....the atmosphere was crazy and the tension was high. I've now rattled off 10 wins in a row and have tied the Brewers for first with a record of 30-25.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

Have a questions about trades. I proposed a trade a couple of days (season time) and was told the other team would consider my proposal. I haven't seen anything back that they have accepted or rejected it. Is there a place I can check or will i automatically receive some announcement? When i go to the trade screen, I don't even see the proposal. If I wanted to take back the offer, is there a way to do so?

Thanks.

Rick

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

sportdan30 wrote:Pitched my first no hitter!!!....almost. 8 and two third innings by Lance Lynn and gave up a double to Pagan that Tavares almost tracked down. So close.....the atmosphere was crazy and the tension was high. I've now rattled off 10 wins in a row and have tied the Brewers for first with a record of 30-25.
That's hilarious. The SAME EXACT THING happened to me. I pitched 8 2/3 and gave up a dinky little single to right field that broke it. I felt like I got punched in the gut. Congrats on a well-pitched game, because I'm sure you're on a much harder difficulty than mine. I was only on Veteran at the time.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Was watching the O's/Halo's last night on ESPN so I decided to go into the Show Live and play that game. Epic 6-5 win for me and the Halo's. Was down 4-1 in the 7th and got into Baltimore's pen and dropped a 5 spot on them :). Love the game.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Diablo25 wrote:Was watching the O's/Halo's last night on ESPN so I decided to go into the Show Live and play that game. Epic 6-5 win for me and the Halo's. Was down 4-1 in the 7th and got into Baltimore's pen and dropped a 5 spot on them :). Love the game.

LOL!I did the same thing and PITCHED A NO HITTER! No clue who this Richards guy was but he was in a groove in my game last night. It was intense going into the late innings. The best part was my last out Davis hit a long fly ball right at the wall and my guy caught it. Any inch higher it would have been a HR!

Never pitched a no no in a videogame ever. It was awesome...

Last edited by Inuyasha on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Inuyasha wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Was watching the O's/Halo's last night on ESPN so I decided to go into the Show Live and play that game. Epic 6-5 win for me and the Halo's. Was down 4-1 in the 7th and got into Baltimore's pen and dropped a 5 spot on them :). Love the game.

LOL!I did the same thing and PITCHED A NO HITTER! No clue who this Richards guy was but he was in a groove in my game last night. It was intense going into the late innings. The best part was my last out Davis hit a long fly ball right at the wall and my guy caught it. Any inch higher it would have been a HR!

Nice.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Diablo25 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Nice.

Thanks it was awesome. Best VG moment in years for me :)

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

Congrats on your no-hitter! It's funny how grown men like us get so excited about a videogame. I know how you feel as I pitched my first no-hitter on MLB 2K13 last year. Now I got a PS3 and it's my first year with the Show and wonder what took me so long to get a system (prob $$$ or something like that). This game is fantastic and even though I'm in 4th place with the Cardinals in late July, I still play almost every game and feel like I have a chance to get back in the race somehow. Lost my last game to TB 2-1.

I haven't actually played (not simmed) this many games since ASB 2005. Quick Counts and Dynamic Difficulty are a god-send.
Currently Playing: Battlefield V, American Fugitive, Madden NFL 19, Golf Club 2019

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Got my first ever crash last night. Error code CE-34878-0 which apparently is a file corruption error. After 50 plus games, this is quite frustrating and hopefully is not a continuous issue. From what I've read, I think I'm not going to be so lucky.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:Got my first ever crash last night. Error code CE-34878-0 which apparently is a file corruption error. After 50 plus games, this is quite frustrating and hopefully is not a continuous issue. From what I've read, I think I'm not going to be so lucky.
Ouch.

That's pretty much why every 2 to 3 games I back up to the cloud in addition to the local auto-save. You know, regular computer backup routines. :)

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

sportdan30 wrote:Got my first ever crash last night. Error code CE-34878-0 which apparently is a file corruption error. After 50 plus games, this is quite frustrating and hopefully is not a continuous issue. From what I've read, I think I'm not going to be so lucky.

I got that after the wc update in fifa. Game never worked since. meaning i could play a game but when the game ended, the error would occur. only way to fix it was delete the game from the HD and then reinstall it. That fixed it and never had it again.

See if you can save your files on usb before you delete and reinstall.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Made it through three seasons of RTTS as an Astros LF, and this season had the team in the hunt for a wildcard spot. We were a game back with three to go, but lost two of three to the A's to miss the opportunity. My guy made good strides this season, with 23 homers, 21 stolen bases, and 85 RBIs. I was hitting over .270 but hit a rough patch the last few weeks to slip to .255.

My biggest gripe is that you can't see any info on things like player movement. There should be transaction info that allows you to see what's going on with your team and around the league, who gets drafted, etc. All in all, though, I did really find it a lot of fun. I'll probably put MLB away for Madden and NBA 2k, but looking forward to seeing how RTTS can be continued in next year's Show.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

PSN Name - EPDiablo25