MLB 14 The Show

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 14 The Show

Post by sportdan30 »

No worries Tim. Happy one of us was able to get a copy. Guess I'll use my BB certificates and pick up a retail copy tomorrow.

How about a few early impressions in the meantime?

Here's what I have gathered from reading impressions:

Graphics are a mixed bag. Some say it's a slight advancement from the PS3 version. Others say it is heads and shoulders above the PS3.

Cut scenes dip below 60fps and can look pretty bad.

Busch Stadium specifically looks very dark in the stands during night games.

The game plays very smoothly and fielding feels better than ever.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Can't decide whether to blow mad money on this or stick with the Vita version that I've been playing happily.

Was sad to hear that the classic stadiums did not make the transition to PS4 and likely won't ever, according to the devs.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

sportdan30 wrote:No worries Tim. Happy one of us was able to get a copy. Guess I'll use my BB certificates and pick up a retail copy tomorrow.

How about a few early impressions in the meantime?

Here's what I have gathered from reading impressions:

Graphics are a mixed bag. Some say it's a slight advancement from the PS3 version. Others say it is heads and shoulders above the PS3.

Cut scenes dip below 60fps and can look pretty bad.

Busch Stadium specifically looks very dark in the stands during night games.

The game plays very smoothly and fielding feels better than ever.
As for my impressions....it's MLB the Show gameplay...that hasn't changed from what I can tell. The game is a step up graphically obviously....it's definitely better but the PS3 version was always good in that dept. There are a few minor frame rate issues like there always was in the PS3 version...mostly on fall balls it seems like there is a dip in the frame rate but nothing to be alarmed about.
I skipped MLB the Show 2013 so I haven't played the game in over a year but from what I can tell not all that much has changed...it's just prettier to look at and plays a good game of ball.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Diablo25 wrote:
tjung0831 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Tjung please check your pm. Or anyone in St. Louis, the game is being is sold early. Would anyone be able to pick up the game for me? I'm out of town and can get it from you tomorrow.

Thanks.

Edit: tjung is going to try and see if there are any copies available.
After fighting through all the hoopla I was able to finally get a copy. They only had one copy left and the owner had confiscated it....luckily I know him and he's heading to Cabo next week so he was more than gracious enough to arrange for me to get it. Looks like they sold quite a few copies in the St. Louis area. Dan, Thanks for the heads up, I wish I could have gotten multiple copies.
I was watching your live stream on the PS4 over the weekend...jerk :)
yeah...my livestream channel blew up for sure.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Anyone know if Walmart will sell it at midnight? If not, do they generally have the games out by 7am?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Inuyasha wrote:Anyone know if Walmart will sell it at midnight? If not, do they generally have the games out by 7am?
Definitely will.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

JUST Called them, 3 copies left. hope they still have it , heading out now.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

So much for a midnight download... Not yet available on PS Store...
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

went over there, they can't sell it tonight, oh well will try to get it tomorrow.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

First and last time I do a digital pre-order with Sony. They completely botched this, still not available and no ETA when it will be. Lets say it goes live at 3pm, then who knows how many people will be downloading this 47 gig file on their shitty servers.

I'm sure the Sony apologist will have an excuse for this but it's a bad first impression.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:First and last time I do a digital pre-order with Sony. They completely botched this, still not available and no ETA when it will be. Lets say it goes live at 3pm, then who knows how many people will be downloading this 47 gig file on their shitty servers.

I'm sure the Sony apologist will have an excuse for this but it's a bad first impression.
Yeah...never again, unless the game is already out and available. I'm going to be pissed if I can't play this game tonight. Not about to spend another 60 bucks on the physical game when there's no guarantee of a refund. So I guess I wait. We better get some credit or some sh*t for having to wait. This is pathetic.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

In case you guys didn't know, it's been up since around 2:30EST. Download time seems to be about 2 1/2 hours as I'm at 80 minutes left now (3:30EST). Absolute cluster **** from Sony here, but at least I'll be able to play it on release day. I was almost sure this thing wasn't going to release until tonight.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Reading the hard copy takes 45min - 1 hr to install. WTF.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Inuyasha wrote:Reading the hard copy takes 45min - 1 hr to install. WTF.
Not sure it took an hour but it was every bit of 45 mins for me.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RallyMonkey wrote:In case you guys didn't know, it's been up since around 2:30EST. Download time seems to be about 2 1/2 hours as I'm at 80 minutes left now (3:30EST). Absolute cluster **** from Sony here, but at least I'll be able to play it on release day. I was almost sure this thing wasn't going to release until tonight.
It's not in my list STILL. So yeah, I'm stoked.

Edit: So stupid...I had to go in and buy the game again (for 0.00) to get it to show up in my list so I could download. Absolutely horrible.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Now now, you can't really blame Sony.....just kidding!! What a freaking mess the digital download fiasco was. I guess that recent update was all for naught. Hope they get their act together for the next big release.

Picked up my copy at lunch. Hope I get a little bit of time to play it tonight as my son is excited for me to get home with the game! I enjoy the head to head matches with him, but I really want to enjoy this one without him getting all frustrated.

I hear the intro is very well put together. Can't wait to get home tonight and dust off the PS4!!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I guess it depends on your connection. Including the install it took me about 38 minutes.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

10spro wrote:
I guess it depends on your connection. Including the install it took me about 38 minutes.
38 min!!!!! That's still ridiculous! Why the need to install.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
RallyMonkey wrote:In case you guys didn't know, it's been up since around 2:30EST. Download time seems to be about 2 1/2 hours as I'm at 80 minutes left now (3:30EST). Absolute cluster **** from Sony here, but at least I'll be able to play it on release day. I was almost sure this thing wasn't going to release until tonight.

Edit: So stupid...I had to go in and buy the game again (for 0.00) to get it to show up in my list so I could download. Absolutely horrible.
Someone pointed this out to me : what do you expect from Sony, this is how PSN has always been.

I guess lot if us xb360 converts were expecting better, like maybe half of xbl quality.

XBL still way better than this PSN sh1t.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

sportdan30 wrote:Now now, you can't really blame Sony.....just kidding!! What a freaking mess the digital download fiasco was. I guess that recent update was all for naught. Hope they get their act together for the next big release.

Picked up my copy at lunch. Hope I get a little bit of time to play it tonight as my son is excited for me to get home with the game! I enjoy the head to head matches with him, but I really want to enjoy this one without him getting all frustrated.

I hear the intro is very well put together. Can't wait to get home tonight and dust off the PS4!!
Best intro since NHL 98 and well worth the watch.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Inuyasha wrote:
10spro wrote:
38 min!!!!! That's still ridiculous! Why the need to install.
All next-gen games need to install, on both systems. It's just how it is. And I wasn't timing it, but I'd say it took over 45 minutes for me to install. 10s, I don't see what one's connection quality would have to do with install time of a disc based game.

I'm a bit surprised about the download problems because I had thought the latest update for the PS4 was all about allowing pre-loading a la steam, and then it would only be activated as of release date. I guess wherever I heard or read that was mistaken.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Looks like online is broken. Can others confirm?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Zeppo wrote:I'm a bit surprised about the download problems because I had thought the latest update for the PS4 was all about allowing pre-loading a la steam, and then it would only be activated as of release date. I guess wherever I heard or read that was mistaken.
The latest update did add that functionality, however, not all games are supported. Supposedly Watch Dogs will be the first. But I sure as sh*t wouldn't bet on that though.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:

Yep, me too. Weird. Oh well, I finally got it downloaded and I'm heading in to play! Have fun fellas.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Zeppo wrote:I'm a bit surprised about the download problems because I had thought the latest update for the PS4 was all about allowing pre-loading a la steam, and then it would only be activated as of release date. I guess wherever I heard or read that was mistaken.
The latest update did add that functionality, however, not all games are supported. Supposedly Watch Dogs will be the first. But I sure as sh*t wouldn't bet on that though.
Wish they would have COMMUNICATED that to us. I wouldn't have done the digital preorder if I knew that I couldn't get it at midnight. I'm actually not as pissed as some people (OS Forums). I must be getting mellow in my old age. (I can just hear the Ice Dragons laughing at that statement :)) Oh well, you live you learn.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25