NBA Season 2017/18

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

NBA Season 2017/18

Post by pk500 »

Gordon Hayward. Holy f*ck. That was gruesome. The crack of his bones was audible, like a tree branch snapping.

Hope his career isn't derailed by this. He must be out for the season.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NBA Season 2017/18

Post by Diablo25 »

Horrible injury to a good guy. Brutal stuff.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

pk500 wrote:Gordon Hayward. Holy f*ck. That was gruesome. The crack of his bones was audible, like a tree branch snapping.

I only saw a picture of it and don't need a doctor to tell me he's out for the season. Holy f*ck is right!
GT = Wilk5280

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Gordon Hayward. Holy f*ck. That was gruesome. The crack of his bones was audible, like a tree branch snapping.

Thanks for creating an NBA thread, it's become my favorite sport next to Formula 1. I saw a picture of the injury and couldn't stomach watching the replay. Rodney McGruder from the Miami Heat opted for surgery to his fractured leg so he wouldn't wind up breaking it.

As for Hayward, he'll probably miss the season but should be back to his old self. Paul George suffered a worse injury and it hasn't affected his game.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

So I got clarification on the injury. I didn't realize that it was a dislocated ankle with small fracture in the leg. I thought it was a clean break and that his foot was just dangling. Sounds like he could be back sooner than I would have expected by looking at the picture I saw.
GT = Wilk5280

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I had a kid in one of our camps years ago that had a gruesome looking ankle injury like that. Turned out they just popped it back into place, she was on crutches about a week, and she was mended quickly. No breaks. Big snapping pop and everything. So here's hoping.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
pk500 wrote:As for Hayward, he'll probably miss the season but should be back to his old self. Paul George suffered a worse injury and it hasn't affected his game.
I beg to differ on both. PG's injury was a clean break of his tibia and fibia. Even the surgeons said it was a simple fix, with two clean breaks with no fragments. Pins, rod and heal.

The ankle is a far more complex area, with more bones, ligaments, tendons, etc. Hayward's injury looks worse, man.

Plus it took more than a season of play for PG to return to true form. I would be surprised if Hayward looks 100 percent, from a basketball sense, on Opening Night in 2018. I hope otherwise.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Was watching the game when it happened. Kevin Harlan immediately just started screaming, "Hayword broke his leg! Hayword broke his leg!" before anyone even got to the floor to help him. It was nuts.

The game ended up being pretty good. It looked like Boston went into the tank after the injury, and were down 19 at one point. They looked like they had nothing. And LeBron was LeBron. But damn if they didn't claw their way back to take a lead unlead until LeBron took over in the last minute.

My initial thought was that the Celtics were done after the injury. But I think they have a shot at still being pretty damn good.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote: The ankle is a far more complex area, with more bones, ligaments, tendons, etc. Hayward's injury looks worse, man.
I haven't read anything on the injury and only saw a still picture but I believe you're incorrect in some of your assumptions.

First of all it's very difficult to fracture and ankle, it barely ever breaks and i can't even fathom the type of basketball injury it would take to generate the force to do so. If he really fractured his ankle then yes he has a long road to hoe.

More than likely from that picture which looks gruesome, it is dislocated and likely a fracture of the tibia (or best case fibula) which is often the result of the dislocation. A tibia fracture in itself depending upon how bad is not that hard to recover from. I has a dislodged fracture of my fibula along with a tibia break in college when playing football and I was good in 6 months and playing again the next season.

The dislocated ankle is going to take time to heal but is going to presents problems moving forward. Unlike a shoulder it won't be more prone to dislocation but he is certainly going to be more prone to ankle sprains, especially in this sport.

Again this is just my take from looking at the photos I saw today. Sports medicine was one of my majors in college and lots has changed since I graduate 27 years ago but I would be money that is a dislocation of the ankle and some kind of break associated with it to cause it.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:
pk500 wrote: The ankle is a far more complex area, with more bones, ligaments, tendons, etc. Hayward's injury looks worse, man.
I haven't read anything on the injury and only saw a still picture but I believe you're incorrect in some of your assumptions.

First of all it's very difficult to fracture and ankle, it barely ever breaks and i can't even fathom the type of basketball injury it would take to generate the force to do so. If he really fractured his ankle then yes he has a long road to hoe.

More than likely from that picture which looks gruesome, it is dislocated and likely a fracture of the tibia (or best case fibula) which is often the result of the dislocation. A tibia fracture in itself depending upon how bad is not that hard to recover from. I has a dislodged fracture of my fibula along with a tibia break in college when playing football and I was good in 6 months and playing again the next season.

The dislocated ankle is going to take time to heal but is going to presents problems moving forward. Unlike a shoulder it won't be more prone to dislocation but he is certainly going to be more prone to ankle sprains, especially in this sport.

Again this is just my take from looking at the photos I saw today. Sports medicine was one of my majors in college and lots has changed since I graduate 27 years ago but I would be money that is a dislocation of the ankle and some kind of break associated with it to cause it.
Dan you should have stuck to sports medicine because it was either CBSSports.com or Probasketballtalk.com that said the same thing. It was a badly dislocated ankle and a fracture of the tibia.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

After the game Celtics coach Brad Stevens gave a little bit more information on Hayward's injury, indicating the 27-year-old All-Star has a dislocated left ankle and fractured tibia.

"From what I was told it was a dislocated ankle and a fracture, what is it a tibia down there? Whatever the bone is in the leg," Stevens told reporters after the game. "So the doctors here have looked at it, our doctors have looked at it, and we'll know a lot more (when) he goes straight to the hospital when he gets home."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/ce ... cq196t2a9s

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote: Dan you should have stuck to sports medicine because it was either CBSSports.com or Probasketballtalk.com that said the same thing. It was a badly dislocated ankle and a fracture of the tibia.
Ha, well I know what a dislocated ankle looks like as I worked with the college basketball teams and its not pretty in person. Plus I've never seen a dislocation in that area without a bone break but thanks :D
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I mean if you're going to tank another season, you might as well go out and get boat raced by a mediocre Portland team missing one of it's stars. Phoenix loses by 48 at home! The only thing that would have been better is losing by 50 seeing as though it's the 50th Anniversary of the franchise. Opportunity lost I suppose. The good news is Josh Jackson is a pleasure to watch...gonna be fun watching him and Booker on the wings for the next 10 years.

Good job boys, the #1 pick is well within your grasp.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

And now Jeremy Lin is gone for the season. Ruptured patellar tendon last night against Indiana.

The Cavs own the Nets' pick, and the Nets will be even worse without Lin. Could the Cavs use that pick -- which probably will end up in the top five -- as a lure to keep LeBron from fleeing to the Lakers? Probably not, but you never know.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I mean if you're going to tank another season,

Didn't the NBA change next years Draft lottery rules to make it even harder for a team that wants to tank to wind up with a guaranteed top 3 pick?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:I mean if you're going to tank another season,

Didn't the NBA change next years Draft lottery rules to make it even harder for a team that wants to tank to wind up with a guaranteed top 3 pick?
Kind of.

Top 3 worst records can fall to the 5th pick (previously it was worst three were guaranteed top 3 picks) and now the worst three teams all have equal chance at #1 (previously it was weighted more for the absolute worst team).

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Down 19, Warriors win by 20 at San Antonio.

They're still working towards regaining the form they had last spring.

But two consecutive wins by comfortable margins over 2 teams which should be at least in the middle of the WC seeds.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Sixers at .500 for the first time in a looooong time. Ben Simmons is the real mother effin’ deal. Feels good to watch games that matter. Still plenty of growing to do but the talent is undeniable.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Well this thread has been dormant.

With the New Year, the season kicks into high gear.

Cavs-Celtics round 2 but IT2 won't play after making his debut last night.

Clippers coming back after early season injury. In fact they could end up playing against CP3 and the Rockets in the playoffs.

DeMar Derozan discovers the 3-point shot well into his career as does the rest of the Raptors.

Lebron having one of his best shooting seasons in his 15th year, maybe his best season.

KD and Curry both being overlooked for MVP so Warriors touting KD for DPOY.

Kawhi has best game since coming back from extended furlough.

Great rookie class so far with Mitchell, Simmons and Kuzma.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The Pistons just gave up a ton to get Blake Griffin who has a history of injuries. Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley and like four 1st rd picks and a 2019 second rd pick. Oh and LA gets to shed Blakes huge contract. Now the Clippers can go into full rebuild mode.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:The Pistons just gave up a ton to get Blake Griffin who has a history of injuries. Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley and like four 1st rd picks and a 2019 second rd pick. Oh and LA gets to shed Blakes huge contract. Now the Clippers can go into full rebuild mode.
A ton? Two expiring deals and some heavily protected picks...not exactly a haul for the clips.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:The Pistons just gave up a ton to get Blake Griffin who has a history of injuries. Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley and like four 1st rd picks and a 2019 second rd pick. Oh and LA gets to shed Blakes huge contract. Now the Clippers can go into full rebuild mode.
A ton? Two expiring deals and some heavily protected picks...not exactly a haul for the clips.
Oh wasn’t aware of the protected picks. I wish the Heat had some assets to deal but owing the Suns two 1st rounders killed any idea for a deal.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

This deal is more of a push than you think.

Griffin is injury-prone and on a HUGE contract. There's a very good chance he'll sit for an unhealthy chunk of his Pistons' tenure. Plus, as Zach Lowe wrote at ESPN.com, the "big three" of Griffin-Drummond-Jackson looks a lot like a poor man's version of the "big three" of Griffin-Jordan-Paul, which did almost nothing in the postseason for the Clippers.

Griffin also isn't a good defender and only started shooting threes this season.

This deal doesn't push the Pistons into the Celtics-Raptors-and eventually Cavs' galaxy in the East. It takes a mediocre team and makes them "super-mediocre," as Lowe wrote.

Lowe's thought-provoking piece: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2225 ... it-pistons

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I think the Heat could be a dark horse in the playoffs.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:I think the Heat could be a dark horse in the playoffs.
Sure if you hijack all the teams buses. :)

The Heat are an ensemble team so you have NO dominant superstar who can close out a game by themselves. Hassan Whiteside could be that player but he's still too inconsistent. Goran Dragic has too many miles and already is worn down from him playing in Eurobasket. Dion Waiters is out for the season. Depending on who they face in the 1st rd they could make it into the 2nd rd and that's probably as far as they go. I can't see the Heat beating Boston, Cleveland or Toronto in the playoffs especially since they are so inconsistent during the season playing weaker teams.