HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:
MERACE wrote: "Rules", "guidelines" or whatever you want to call them, I would think that most real courses try to adhere to a 3-foot flat radius around the hole.
As someone who plays competitive golf every weekend I can tell you most courses do not adhere to this guideline. With TGC while the undulations of the greens do play a factor in the issues, it is more there bat s*** crazy physics in my opinion that are the biggest issue and not just with putting.

My home course has pretty tough rough conditions and I can hit out of it with greater distance than I can in TGC. chipping is a mess as well but that is a whole other topic.
I can set your mind at ease about one thing with TGC 2019, based on my 108 holes I played during the stress test beta; the rough is now believably punishing. I found that so refreshing during my time with it, as I could take my real life mindset into playing rough shots, and get believable results!

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Danimal wrote:
MERACE wrote: "Rules", "guidelines" or whatever you want to call them, I would think that most real courses try to adhere to a 3-foot flat radius around the hole.
As someone who plays competitive golf every weekend I can tell you most courses do not adhere to this guideline. With TGC while the undulations of the greens do play a factor in the issues, it is more there bat s*** crazy physics in my opinion that are the biggest issue and not just with putting.

My home course has pretty tough rough conditions and I can hit out of it with greater distance than I can in TGC. chipping is a mess as well but that is a whole other topic.
Unfortunately, I don't get to play golf IRL very often (maybe once or twice a year) and it's on local municipal courses. The greens there are mostly flat especially around the holes.

As for the physics in TGC2, for the most part, I think they are very good. The one exception (random chip shots checking up and not rolling out) has been fixed in TGC2019. That bug has caused me many rage quits. :x

-MERACE

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

MERACE wrote: As for the physics in TGC2, for the most part, I think they are very good. The one exception (random chip shots checking up and not rolling out) has been fixed in TGC2019. That bug has caused me many rage quits. :x
-MERACE
That's good because that and the rough were two major pain points.

I wonder what their fast / hard green formula is based on then. I played a tournament this weekend and in round 3 the 7th hole was right on a ridge, you needed to sink it or it was rolling out and that was on greens running 14 which is pretty fast IMO. Even with these conditions the ball didn't roll out low more than 6-8 feet on a missed putt. In TGC they can roll 40 feet, that means something isn't right.

I can take the worst golfer in the world and they aren't misjuding a putt by 40 feet, hell not even 20 feet.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Playing this week's RBC Canadian.....is it just me or do the grids look HIDEOUS on this course? I had to turn them off to play this.

And am I the only one with a yellow golf ball? If so, I did not know the designer could dictated color of ball used. NOT a fan of the winter/snow theme as the RBC Canadian is played in July.

And just an FYI to Vader:

Found a really good version of Bellerive while rangering for TGC TOURS.

It is called Bellerive C.C. (PGA Par 70)

Might want to consider swapping what you have for this one. I've played it twice and think the guys here would enjoy it.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

DivotMaker wrote: And am I the only one with a yellow golf ball? If so, I did not know the designer could dictated color of ball used. NOT a fan of the winter/snow theme as the RBC Canadian is played in July.
Nope I had it and though someone had f***ed with the color settings on my TV. I hated the look.
Follow Me on:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Thanks.

One more round to go and won't be playing that course again.

The guy is a great designer, so I am surprised this course is what it is.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

DivotMaker wrote:Playing this week's RBC Canadian.....is it just me or do the grids look HIDEOUS on this course? I had to turn them off to play this.

And am I the only one with a yellow golf ball? If so, I did not know the designer could dictated color of ball used. NOT a fan of the winter/snow theme as the RBC Canadian is played in July.

Might want to consider swapping what you have for this one. I've played it twice and think the guys here would enjoy it.
I've seen the yellow balls on a few courses, must be a setting if there is any bit of snow on the course. Will change the Bellerive course tonight.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

vader29 wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:Playing this week's RBC Canadian.....is it just me or do the grids look HIDEOUS on this course? I had to turn them off to play this.

I've seen the yellow balls on a few courses, must be a setting if there is any bit of snow on the course. Will change the Bellerive course tonight.
First time I have ever seen a yellow ball on either version.....

I think the guys will enjoy the Bellerive I recommended.

Thanks!

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

DivotMaker wrote:
vader29 wrote:

First time I have ever seen a yellow ball on either version.....

I think the guys will enjoy the Bellerive I recommended.

Thanks!
The Holiday Club in the first game was the first time I saw the yellow ball, it was an official TGC 9 hole course with snow everywhere except on the greens.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I'm getting old fellow DSP'ers playing in the XBox One Society... for the second night in a row, I didn't even turn my XBox One X, or even my TV on to play my final round of this weeks tournament, and the last I saw, I was leading the tournament. I was so tired when I got home last night from work, all I cared about was hitting the rack. I woke up this morning early because of my early turn in, but was still to uninspired to go upstairs to the rec room and finish it off.

I was surprised at how much the yellow balls turned me off in this one. I've never had a desire to play them in real life, but even in cyber golf, they somehow didn't register with me as desirable. It sucks to be getting old an ornery!:) I'll be off for the next 4 1/2 days and I'm hoping for a revival, although I'm sure the arrival of TGC 2019 would help stir my hormones a bit! :D

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

J_Cauthen wrote: It sucks to be getting old an ornery!:) I'll be off for the next 4 1/2 days and I'm hoping for a revival, although I'm sure the arrival of TGC 2019 would help stir my hormones a bit! :D
Yep, my patience level for gaming frustrations is so low that I don't even feel bad rage quitting tournaments on a regular basis. :oops:

I'm really looking forward to the release of TGC 2019 to try out the Career Mode (never tried it in TGC or TGC2). Also, just the elimination of the chipping checkup glitch is worth the switch from TGC2 to TGC 2019. :D

-MERACE

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

MERACE wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote: It sucks to be getting old an ornery!:) I'll be off for the next 4 1/2 days and I'm hoping for a revival, although I'm sure the arrival of TGC 2019 would help stir my hormones a bit! :D
Yep, my patience level for gaming frustrations is so low that I don't even feel bad rage quitting tournaments on a regular basis. :oops:

I'm really looking forward to the release of TGC 2019 to try out the Career Mode (never tried it in TGC or TGC2). Also, just the elimination of the chipping checkup glitch is worth the switch from TGC2 to TGC 2019. :D
I don't know what my problem is here over the last week, but I've gone from riches to rags in less than a week. I had been playing with Tour clubs and keeping them in reasonable control for two weeks, or more. Last week when I was playing my first round in the TGC Tours CC-B Society, I birdied the first three holes and thought... man, I'm on my way. I then went bogey, triple-bogey, bogey over the next three holes and shot 71 for the round, while the leader had shot 56, and over half the field was at least -10 through round one.

I finally went back to Player clubs for round 2 of the DSP tournament at Firestone, and I'm still not feeling it. I had two three putt greens from 9 feet or less in round 2. I think it's this sort of thing that keeps this game fresh to me... I'm more inconsistent in it than I am in my IRL game. It keeps me coming back for more!

TGC 2019 can't get here soon enough though. I can tell by watching the two lengthy You Tube videos last week that this game is going to have much better nuance, and certainly much more personality. I'm liking the looks of the SpeedTrees also.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

J_Cauthen wrote:
MERACE wrote:

I don't know what my problem is here over the last week, but I've gone from riches to rags in less than a week. I had been playing with Tour clubs and keeping them in reasonable control for two weeks, or more. Last week when I was playing my first round in the TGC Tours CC-B Society, I birdied the first three holes and thought... man, I'm on my way. I then went bogey, triple-bogey, bogey over the next three holes and shot 71 for the round, while the leader had shot 56, and over half the field was at least -10 through round one.

I finally went back to Player clubs for round 2 of the DSP tournament at Firestone, and I'm still not feeling it. I had two three putt greens from 9 feet or less in round 2. I think it's this sort of thing that keeps this game fresh to me... I'm more inconsistent in it than I am in my IRL game. It keeps me coming back for more!

TGC 2019 can't get here soon enough though. I can tell by watching the two lengthy You Tube videos last week that this game is going to have much better nuance, and certainly much more personality. I'm liking the looks of the SpeedTrees also.
Ditto.

It is a grind playing my TGC TOURS rounds (8) every week.

I am back on the X1X for the foreseeable future as that is the first version of 2019 I am buying.

Hoping I don't have to buy the PC version because the X1X is so damn pretty and performs well as 4K..... :wink:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Count me in the “TGC 2019 can’t get here soon enough” crowd. I haven’t played as much as some of you guys the past 6 months but when I do I end up rage quitting half the time for all the reasons you already know. Really hope it plays superbly.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I'm only playing the DSP Society events and also trying to get the hole in one achievement on an official TGC course before 2019 comes out, have 4 or 5 aces on user created courses but still hoping for one to drop in at Little Brook Manor. :)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I can usually play a round, or two before I quit. I do much better lasting when I don't play with Ghosts, but watching people chip in or drop 40+ foot putts like it is no problem tells me that people have figured out how to game the game and then I get frustrated and quit.

Hoping the single player hooks me in 2019. I really want to play with real player names on the leader board.
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Just played my first round at Bellerive CC in this week's DSP Society event... this course friggin' owns me :oops: I had four 3-putt bogeys and a course management bogey, all on me, but the course had me psyched out! I finished with three consecutive perfect/fast tee shots on the final three holes that all missed the fairway left.

I only made three birdies and really didn't come close to making another. I sank a 28 and 32 foot putt for par during the round, so it could have been worse. I wound up with a 72 (+2), but felt like I played worse than that. I can't recall missing so many putts as badly as I missed them in this round. It's a good course and one that has earned my respect, but I'm going to need an attitude adjustment before I play round 2 :wink:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Hole #2 ball rolls into the water twice, enough I thought...but carried on.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Vader, you ran off and left us in the PGA Championship! Kudos!! Bellerive CC kicked my ass on the greens. I had three to five 3-putts per round, and two four greens over the tournament. I can't believe how many 4 to 6 foot putts I missed in this one. I liked the challenge of this course and would love to play it again in a TGC 2019 makeover!

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

J_Cauthen wrote:Vader, you ran off and left us in the PGA Championship! Kudos!! Bellerive CC kicked my ass on the greens. I had three to five 3-putts per round, and two four greens over the tournament. I can't believe how many 4 to 6 foot putts I missed in this one. I liked the challenge of this course and would love to play it again in a TGC 2019 makeover!
Thanks. If I ran off with it then that must mean Divot didn't play. I played this entire tourney trying not to put the first putt past the hole with the fast greens on long putts and it payed off with as when I came up short it was a short putt for par and I had very few bogeys throughout the entire 4 rounds.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

vader29 wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:Vader, you ran off and left us in the PGA Championship! Kudos!! Bellerive CC kicked my ass on the greens. I had three to five 3-putts per round, and two four greens over the tournament. I can't believe how many 4 to 6 foot putts I missed in this one. I liked the challenge of this course and would love to play it again in a TGC 2019 makeover!
Thanks. If I ran off with it then that must mean Divot didn't play. I played this entire tourney trying not to put the first putt past the hole with the fast greens on long putts and it payed off with as when I came up short it was a short putt for par and I had very few bogeys throughout the entire 4 rounds.
I was -20 after round 2 and ended up in the ER yesterday and couldn’t finish.

Back in th ER today and might be here for a while.

Congratulations on the win Vader!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

As I mentioned earlier, dropping into the water already twice on the very first round in hole #2 pretty much set up and sealed my fate for the tournament. Was playing catch all along. Despite falling behind early what made me continue was the overall make of the course. I enjoyed the roughs, sand traps were fairly placed, greens were quick but no unfair roll downs.

Congratz on the run Vader, you bastard :twisted: .

Hope all is well with you Divot...

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Thank you. Same issues that put me in the hospital in January.

Need to find out what’s causing these bladder spasms, bleeding and blood clots.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DivotMaker wrote:Thank you. Same issues that put me in the hospital in January.

Need to find out what’s causing these bladder spasms, bleeding and blood clots.
Praying you get over this soon Tim... that can't be a pleasant situation to deal with.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Hope you are well soon Divot!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25