HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by Danimal »

10spro wrote:
Danimal wrote:I had a hole in one on the final round of this weekend tourney. I thought I uploaded it to Live but it is not showing up. Boy that course can be tough when the wind is kicking.
I only played one round. Nice -5 score. I struggled with my swing, kicked one in the water, landed many in the sand traps, putts were in the 12-15 ft range for par. Not pretty.
Round 2 and 3 brought me back to earth. Suddenly my kicks in the fairway were rolling me into the rough or bunkers. Get off the short stuff here and it gets brutal.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

10spro wrote:
Danimal wrote:I had a hole in one on the final round of this weekend tourney. I thought I uploaded it to Live but it is not showing up. Boy that course can be tough when the wind is kicking.
I only played one round. Nice -5 score. I struggled with my swing, kicked one in the water, landed many in the sand traps, putts were in the 12-15 ft range for par. Not pretty.
Yep, I struggled similarly in the first round except many of my putts were in the 20-30 foot range. :(

Another reason for my poor approach shots is my choosing to not use the shot shaper for lofting or delofting of my shots.

-MERACE

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Clip finally showed up of that ace.

http://xboxclips.com/Danimal66/67e550ec ... b1eceac6c1
Follow Me on:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:Clip finally showed up of that ace.

http://xboxclips.com/Danimal66/67e550ec ... b1eceac6c1
Nice!

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Congrats to Divot for destroying us all.

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The Terminator is back. Impressive!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:The Terminator is back. Impressive!
Yeah, that was an awesome performance by Tim, he left the field in his dust... including those who rage quit and didn't post a 72 hole score. I had one of my all time gaming meltdown, ass-showings last night as I played my final round. I was tied with Vader and one shot ahead of Danimal when I missed a four foot par putt, after hitting one of the best, 40 yard greenside bunker shots of my life. For some reason, missing that putt just got all over me and I pounded the pedestal table beside my gaming chair. This knocked my partially consumed mug of beer off the table and on to the floor.

This concluded my gaming activities for the night. :oops:

On the bright side, it's nice to know that there's still a video/computer game I can play at age 63, and still have it trigger this level of passion from me 8) It was embarrassing enough to where I hope I learned enough from it to reel it in before I reach that point again...

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

J_Cauthen wrote:
10spro wrote:The Terminator is back. Impressive!
Yeah, that was an awesome performance by Tim, he left the field in his dust... including those who rage quit and didn't post a 72 hole score. I had one of my all time gaming meltdown, ass-showings last night as I played my final round. I was tied with Vader and one shot ahead of Danimal when I missed a four foot par putt, after hitting one of the best, 40 yard greenside bunker shots of my life. For some reason, missing that putt just got all over me and I pounded the pedestal table beside my gaming chair. This knocked my partially consumed mug of beer off the table and on to the floor.

This concluded my gaming activities for the night. :oops:

On the bright side, it's nice to know that there's still a video/computer game I can play at age 63, and still have it trigger this level of passion from me 8) It was embarrassing enough to where I hope I learned enough from it to reel it in before I reach that point again...
Thanks guys. I can't wait for TGC2019 to get here and hopefully an X version that really showcases the X. I really want to play the DSP Society events, but it is tough because I have so little time to play these days and I have to commandeer the Family room TV to play.

On top of that the performance on the PC is just too good and I would be hamstringing myself playing TGC Tours playing on the X as it is much better than the standard X1, but nowhere near as good as the PC.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DivotMaker wrote:On top of that the performance on the PC is just too good and I would be hamstringing myself playing TGC Tours playing on the X as it is much better than the standard X1, but nowhere near as good as the PC.
I can relate to what you're saying here, because even my Geforce 1060/Intel i5 based PC does a considerably better job with TGC 2 than the X. If HBS gave the X as many hooks to harness its power as the PC version does, I'm sure the X could run TGC 2 in a much more impressive looking and performing fashion than my slightly better than average gaming PC. Even at that, I'm still amazed at how much better looking and performing TGC 2 is on the X, over the stock XBox One 8O

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Whoa... this week's tournament at TPC Louisiana turned into to DivotMaker takes the field to the woodshed session. When I completed my final round, I was in second place..... by 25 strokes to Tim at 41 under par! I probably uttered more expletives per hole at this course has I have any course I've played. The course wasn't unfair, but I've never seen more lipped out birdie putts than I've seen at this 72 hole tournament this week!? How my controller survived this tournament is beyond me... I guess I'm finally learning some restraint after last weeks boil over :)

Tim, that was a surgical performance you put on this week... you sir are a master chipper... you made more chips in the final two rounds than I made 20 foot+ putts. I played the final two rounds with yours, Vaders, and 10sPros ghost balls.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

There’s Divot...and then they were the rest playing for second. I was pondering whether I would finish the tournament once Vader told me how hot Tim was.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I might have caught Divot if I only had 10 more rounds to play. :P

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Thanks Guys.....

I found the course to be pretty easy tee to green and counting practice rounds for TGC Tours and real rounds I had about 12 rounds into this course. Shot -43 in TGC Tours on the PC and ended up tied for 55th in the World Tour. Double demotion strikes.

I made a decision to go back to the X this week. Why? The update that came out last week giving us 1440pn and Freesync.

The X has closed the gap significantly on the PC version for me. There is something about the way the Elite controller plays with the X1 and X1X that feels different, yet more tactile and responsive than the PC version with the Elite does. The 32" Omen 1440p Freesync monitor looks and plays incredibly like the PC version on the same monitor. There is little to no lag and performance with this monitor. Now I am playing as many rounds as I can to get my timing back.

I also got tired of having to schedule time with the X in my Family room.

I won't be able to play every DSP event as my schedule has gotten very hectic the past month or so and there are no signs of it letting up.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I didn't finish partly because real golf events took priority and partly because the scores are getting out of a place I like to call reality. I do wish we had the ability to play the format they played this weekend thought, that would of been fun.
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Rage quit confession time... I rage quit this week's 36 hole tournament on the 13th hole of the first round. I was -2, and in a distant second place to Tim at the time, when I found myself in the process of 5-putting the 13th green. In order to protect the integrity of my beer mug and/or controller, I quietly rage quit (if that's really possible) the round... it ended better than my last rage quit :)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote:Rage quit confession time... I rage quit this week's 36 hole tournament on the 13th hole of the first round. I was -2, and in a distant second place to Tim at the time, when I found myself in the process of 5-putting the 13th green. In order to protect the integrity of my beer mug and/or controller, I quietly rage quit (if that's really possible) the round... it ended better than my last rage quit :)
You're not alone, it took me about 9 or 10 holes to remember this course and how much i hated it. I then quit myself.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I have a serious question for those of you that are much better at this game then me (ie everyone)

How do you read greens? This weeks course is a perfect example, I'm looking multiple putts where there is practically no green lines moving, in fact one putt had no moving lines but when making the putt the ball breaks like 12 inches. I really don't understand why certain greens do this, or when sometimes on a straight putt the ball comes off the putter left right off the jump.

I find green reading the most unrealistic part of video game golf but when the green grids aren't portraying what is going on it makes it impossible. Having played with enough of your ghosts to see all of you drop 30 footers like they were 2 footers I must be missing something.
Follow Me on:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

To be honest, I don’t think putting is the only problem at Fargo. It almost seems as if some holes are haunted. The greens are set to slow, yet there are some bounces where the ball just rolls back as if you were in skates. Check some of my recorded videos. How realistic is that? I remember on a particular hole I was setting up to putt for Eagle yet I ended up with a pathetic bogey.

There’s nothing I could do with my numb-itis on my right hand for rounds 2 and 3 or the dog jumping at me at the most innoportune times, but I’d like to have more control on some realistic bounces and proper reads on some holes for sure.

Not enjoying this weekends event. :evil:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

10spro wrote:To be honest, I don’t think putting is the only problem at Fargo. It almost seems as if some holes are haunted. The greens are set to slow, yet there are some bounces where the ball just rolls back as if you were in skates. Check some of my recorded videos. How realistic is that? I remember on a particular hole I was setting up to putt for Eagle yet I ended up with a pathetic bogey.

There’s nothing I could do with my numb-itis on my right hand for rounds 2 and 3 or the dog jumping at me at the most innoportune times, but I’d like to have more control on some realistic bounces and proper reads on some holes for sure.

Not enjoying this weekends event. :evil:
Playing the wrong version of QH this week...

The best one is Quail Hollow Club by Aceswild.

I won't be playing.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:I have a serious question for those of you that are much better at this game then me (ie everyone)

How do you read greens? This weeks course is a perfect example, I'm looking multiple putts where there is practically no green lines moving, in fact one putt had no moving lines but when making the putt the ball breaks like 12 inches. I really don't understand why certain greens do this, or when sometimes on a straight putt the ball comes off the putter left right off the jump.

I find green reading the most unrealistic part of video game golf but when the green grids aren't portraying what is going on it makes it impossible. Having played with enough of your ghosts to see all of you drop 30 footers like they were 2 footers I must be missing something.
When you are in your typical putting stance, hit the Y button for the scout cam and bring it behind the ball with your d-pad and pull the camera down as low as it will go. The line up the grid with the bottom of your screen and you will see the slopes. The back out and hit the Y button again and go around to the back of the hole and double check to make sure what you saw behind the ball matches what you see behind the cup.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

So far the only trouble I've had at Quail Hollow was the final hole of round 3, triple bogey after the putt kept rolling back down hill on me, ruined what would have been three pretty good rounds in a row, should finish the tourney sometime today.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Quail Hollow results:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

vader29 wrote:Quail Hollow results:

Solid tournament on your part Vader, and I'm sure you lead wire-to-wire! I got within three shots of you on the front nine in the final round, but then lost a couple of strokes, and spent the back 9 getting them back.

The friggen 5th hole had my (and apparently a few others based on what I observed of the ghost balls I played along with :) ) number. I played that hole in a grand total of 4 over for the week, but that included a birdie on it in Round 4. I double bogeyed it in rounds 1 and 3 :x There was a bunker on the right side of the fairway, about 285 yards out, and even if you hit your tee shot in the middle of the fairway, the ball still gets funneled into the bunker. In round 3, I had two other balls with a foot of mine in the same bunker off the tee 8O

I've been to Quail Hollow a number of times over the years, as it's just 22 miles away from me. This course didn't really capture the flavor of the real thing very well. For one thing, the elevation work was very innaccurate.

Secondly, you can't see the city skyline from the course like this one suggests you can. Quail Hollow is a good 8 miles from downtown Charlotte, and it's a lot more covered with large oaks than what you see here.

Finally, the green topography is both inaccurate and unfinished. It was a challenging course, but not necessarily for the right reasons. I'm going to have to play Aces R Wild's version of Quail Hollow again just to compare it to this one. Only Quail Hollow in EA Sports forgettable Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Golf comes close to capturing the essence of this course in all the iterations I've played of it over the years.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

J_Cauthen wrote:
vader29 wrote:Quail Hollow results:

Solid tournament on your part Vader, and I'm sure you lead wire-to-wire! I got within three shots of you on the front nine in the final round, but then lost a couple of strokes, and spent the back 9 getting them back.

The friggen 5th hole had my (and apparently a few others based on what I observed of the ghost balls I played along with :) ) number. I played that hole in a grand total of 4 over for the week, but that included a birdie on it in Round 4. I double bogeyed it in rounds 1 and 3 :x There was a bunker on the right side of the fairway, about 285 yards out, and even if you hit your tee shot in the middle of the fairway, the ball still gets funneled into the bunker. In round 3, I had two other balls with a foot of mine in the same bunker off the tee 8O

I've been to Quail Hollow a number of times over the years, as it's just 22 miles away from me. This course didn't really capture the flavor of the real thing very well. For one thing, the elevation work was very innaccurate.

Secondly, you can't see the city skyline from the course like this one suggests you can. Quail Hollow is a good 8 miles from downtown Charlotte, and it's a lot more covered with large oaks than what you see here.

Finally, the green topography is both inaccurate and unfinished. It was a challenging course, but not necessarily for the right reasons. I'm going to have to play Aces R Wild's version of Quail Hollow again just to compare it to this one. Only Quail Hollow in EA Sports forgettable Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Golf comes close to capturing the essence of this course in all the iterations I've played of it over the years.
Congrats Vader and all for a great tournament!

Aces course is very well done and very accurate compared to Rory McIlroy, IMO.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I konked out before I could binge play my final 45 holes last night at Sawgrass... at last count I was 40 shots behind Tim! :D I had such a roller coaster ride through the first 36 holes. I just bought a TCL 6-Series 55R617 4K HDR HDTV last week and got it going on Monday. It's got one of the lowest input lags in the industry at 18 ms, and that has turned out to be a curse in disguise for me so far.

My senses are attuned for my 2010 Toshiba Regza LCD HDTV, and its 65 ms input lag and now I'm getting a minimum of 5 "perfect/fast" tempos per round. In round 1, I had 9 of them, two of which were back to back off the 18th tee, resulting in two drowned balls. I kept my third tee shot dry and hit a perfect/fast tempo approach that barely stayed out of the water. I chipped in from off the green for a triple bogey 7.

I started getting more comfortable with the swing tempo in round 2, and shot a 65. I took a hour break and started round 3, and it was like I was playing a different game again. I bet I had a dozen perfect/fast tempos and shot a 78 or 79... it was frustrating to say the least, but dayuuuuum... the game looks so freaking good on this display! I can't get over how wide the color and light range is for this set. When I was in the shadows on some of the tees at Sawgrass, like hole 2, for example, the shadows cast by the trees around me made me feel like I was hitting out of a cave. Where the fairway opened up about 230 yards out, it was like I was hitting from one realm to another.... I'm so impressed with it :D

I'll eventually get used to the new lower lag, I just need to spend some time on the range with it, so I'm not complaining... what I'm going through right now I'm seeing as a right of passage 8)