HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by Diablo25 »

The dev team started posting a weekly developers diary today. Link to their first entry is below. Some nice insight into how the project got off the ground.

http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/02/04/d ... c-history/
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I'm into this even more now that I know the studio is a pretty small one located in the quaint sea side town of Lunenburg in my home province of Nova Scotia.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Some new screenshots of the game released today. The courses look really really good. Love the elevation on some of the courses.

http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/02/06/m ... club-game/

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Looks fantastic. I can't wait!
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I have a hunch that HB Studios has got a surprise in store for us with their swing mechanic. They won't come out and lay it all down just yet, but I think they've got it tuned to where your controller's sensitivity goes up significantly on the last 5 to 10% of power, especially on the longer clubs. IOW, I don't think we're going to be able to drop a 300 yard drive on a dime like we were used to in Tiger 06 - 13 (I left out '14 because of its diagonal swing requirement for Tournament and Simulation difficulty levels). Additionally, I think it will probably feel better than any of the Tiger Woods games because there seems to be a rhythm component to the swing equation. HBS hasn't gone much into that, but I got the idea they're saving that discussion for a developer diary, blog entry.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

J_Cauthen wrote:I have a hunch that HB Studios has got a surprise in store for us with their swing mechanic. They won't come out and lay it all down just yet, but I think they've got it tuned to where your controller's sensitivity goes up significantly on the last 5 to 10% of power, especially on the longer clubs. IOW, I don't think we're going to be able to drop a 300 yard drive on a dime like we were used to in Tiger 06 - 13 (I left out '14 because of its diagonal swing requirement for Tournament and Simulation difficulty levels). Additionally, I think it will probably feel better than any of the Tiger Woods games because there seems to be a rhythm component to the swing equation. HBS hasn't gone much into that, but I got the idea they're saving that discussion for a developer diary, blog entry.
I'm not holding my breath on anything for this game to be groundbreaking, but golf games IMO are dying for a complete re-consideration of the swing mechanics. The mouse swing was great on PGA 2000, but that's like 15 years ago. Surely we can do better than a power meter, or a straight back and forth motion on a mouse or a single analog stick.

How about requiring rhythm and tempo? How about sweeping analog sticks instead of straight up and down? How about using 2 sticks at once? Golf game swing mechanics need an enema.

Hopefully I'll get in on the PC beta soon and see what these guys have up their sleeve.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

This could be the game that would make me save for a decently powered gaming PC. Something I haven't has for years.

It looks fantastic!!!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Naples39 wrote:I'm not holding my breath on anything for this game to be groundbreaking, but golf games IMO are dying for a complete re-consideration of the swing mechanics.
The swing mechanic is what has been missing for me in the current-gen. I'm the lone "8" in the hype scores for this game, which the rest are running 9 and 10 at Operation Sports. Why is mine the lowest? Because I really don't know if this game is going to have any more feel in its swing mechanic than the Tiger Woods games.
How about requiring rhythm and tempo?
Tiger Woods 13 claimed to have had a tempo driven swing interface. It may have had tempo, only in the sense of how fast you could twitch the thumbstick back and forth... nothing that modeled a properly tempoed golf swing! HBS uses the terms feel and rhythm in the description of their intuitive swing interface. Do they really mean something by that, or are they throwing those terms around as loosely as EA Sports?
How about sweeping analog sticks instead of straight up and down? How about using 2 sticks at once? Golf game swing mechanics need an enema.
Both of these sound a bit radical to me, but then again, I've never tried them. I think they can do more with the vertical thumbstick approach if they just make rhythm a key component in the equation. I know I got more of a mis-hit error in Tiger Woods 10 using a vertical stick movement, as long as I kept my sweetspot % in the mid to low teens. That showed me that the sticks could pick up minor variances. Why shouldn't an unnatural rhythm have an adverse effect on the swing?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

pigpen81 wrote:This could be the game that would make me save for a decently powered gaming PC. Something I haven't has for years.

It looks fantastic!!!
It's going to push me into buying a PS4 or XB1 at long last. I still haven't made up my mind which one yet. My PC was just barely enough to qualify me for the beta. I'm sure I'll have to make some considerable sacrifices to get the game to run at an acceptable frame rate, if I'm selected for the beta. I've hardly done any gaming on my PC since the 360 and PS3's arrival.
Last edited by J_Cauthen on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just the idea that "NEW" stuff (relative to TW) will be implemented is fresh and exciting. Seriously anxious for swing mechanic info.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Diablo25 wrote:Just the idea that "NEW" stuff (relative to TW) will be implemented is fresh and exciting. Seriously anxious for swing mechanic info.
After listening to all the talk during Dragons, Im into it too. 8)

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

XXXIV wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Just the idea that "NEW" stuff (relative to TW) will be implemented is fresh and exciting. Seriously anxious for swing mechanic info.
Merace and myself kinda beat it to death I guess :)
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Diablo25 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:
Merace and myself kinda beat it to death I guess :)
:)

You two did do a very good job but it has been discussed when you two guys were not there.

We all are awaiting a NEW golf game.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Another Developer Diary is up today...creating realistic Sky/Clouds with the course creator.

http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/02/10/d ... ky-clouds/
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Got an email today for acceptance in the first round of the closed beta testing. Also said that there will likely not be an NDA for the beta.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

vader29 wrote:Got an email today for acceptance in the first round of the closed beta testing. Also said that there will likely not be an NDA for the beta.
Must be nice...got denied myself.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
vader29 wrote:Got an email today for acceptance in the first round of the closed beta testing. Also said that there will likely not be an NDA for the beta.
Must be nice...got denied myself.
There will be an early access to the PC version of the game after the closed beta that will be available to probably everyone that missed out on the closed beta.

-MERACE

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I was also denied on the beta. :(
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I think HB Studios is holding a card that they're waiting either for the closed beta testers, or the early access owners to play for them, and that is their "feel" based swing interface. I learned for listening to the Press Row interview with Executive Producer, Peter Garcin, that the feel based meterless interface came about by accident. They had been trying to perfect their idea of how the meter should look and function, when a change caused it to render the build at that time inoperable. They took the meter out of the build so they could test the game at home. They all discovered that the game played better without it, so they went from there tuning it for feel and fluidity.

The reason that they are not going with multiple green speeds and hardness for each course out of the gate is they are genuinely concerned about overloading new game players, trying to get the feel of the swing interface, with other variables that might overly frustrate them. Multiple green speeds and hardness are on their plate and I wouldn't be surprised to see them added during the beta, or certainly shortly after launch.

I'm anxious to get my hands on the beta to see if my hunch is correct about this. If it is, I'll be shouting it from the rooftops!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

New tutorial video...creating a hole.

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

That's pretty cool, I'll get in the Steam early access the minute it is up.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Diablo25 wrote:New tutorial video...creating a hole.

It looks so easy to get the framework down based on that, but I bet I could spend 30 minutes to an hour tinkering and fine tuning the hole once the template was down.

Here's something else from the video that caught my attention, which I found very reassuring... at about 1:50 into the video, we see a swing feedback meter for the first time in The Golf Club. It showed a miniscule swing path error that resulted in an unintended draw, which ultimately was responsible for the tee shot going into the left fairway bunker WOOT WOOT :o 8)

Notice also that the swing power percentage was 99%, and that barely perceptible swing path error resulted in a shot going out of control enough to find a hazard!? Might this quell the paranoia about a non-diagonal swing mechanic being too easy just a smidgen? I know it's just a morsel, but it's definitely another sign that they're serious about the "feel" of the swing.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Also, that looked to be from the Xbox version as well.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Another course creator video is up...Sculpting and Raising Landscapes/Tees, etc. The course creator continues to impress me. Some commentary in this one on what buttons are used to raise/rotate/confirm, etc. I can't wait to use it :).

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

HB just posted a chart with all the club distances.

http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/02/23/c ... nce-chart/
PSN Name - EPDiablo25