HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by Diablo25 »

If I'm not mistaken these guys did work on a version of TW so they have some experience. This game could be the tits. Hope so.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Diablo25 wrote:If I'm not mistaken these guys did work on a version of TW so they have some experience. This game could be the tits. Hope so.
Not sure what they did on TW10, but I've never heard of them. That certainly doesn't mean they aren't capable. Anxious to see how this all comes together......

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DivotMaker wrote:Not sure what they did on TW10, but I've never heard of them. That certainly doesn't mean they aren't capable. Anxious to see how this all comes together......
They list Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 for the PS2 and PSP, among their credits. They've also done a number of NBA Live and FIFA translations for the Wii, PS2, and PSP. They've done more Rugby and Cricket games for EA Sports than I can name.
Last edited by J_Cauthen on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

MERACE wrote:Apparently, that may be possible too 8) :

INFINITELY EDITABLE AND SHARABLE

One of the biggest advantages of our course generation and editing system is that we only store the “DNA” of the course, rather than a fully-rendered model of the course. This means that it is a relatively small amount of data that can be easily shared with friends and makes cross-platform course sharing a reality.
This sounds so good in concept, but I can't help but wonder if we're going to wind up with too many parallel universes. For example, if I take the DNA for a course and make a minor modification on the tees, play it and my round is archived, that round should only be available to those who have the exact same "slightly modified" version of the course that I have. Otherwise we'd be racing at a different track. I'm just wondering what mechanism they have in place to establish a convention for this? A nice problem to have, eh? :)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

If this game delivers what it says it can I will be happy. Nothing would give me more joy than to see a game deliver all the things TW has failed to for such a long time. Hell if it has ball drops they just increase my level of excitement. :)
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

This is taken from the developers website:

We’ve created and fine tuned a swing mechanic that is more about feeling and fluidity above the users’ accuracy of hitting a marker on a power bar.

Does this not sound like the rhythm based swing mechanic that many of us have discussed for years? If the swing mechanic and ball physics live up to what the rest of The Golf Club seems to offer, this game will be the realizations of a lot of our dreams.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

If this is true and a good golf game, might have to join the next gen group!
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

DivotMaker wrote:
MERACE wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Lots of info on the website. Man, I am pumped for this. Sounds like there is a basic course generator that makes a course in a few seconds and then there is an advanced course creator :) love it. Man I hope the course creator is on the consoles.
I've advocated for this type of course creator for years at the EA TW website. I was told repeatedly that it was impractical to create a course on the console using a gamepad.

Manipulating a template or pre-made course is all that was needed. :!:

-MERACE
You were not told it was impossible. You were told what the Tiger Devs told me personally, plus I know full well what it takes to put out a Next Gen, high detail course and nowhere is a game pad even useful trying to build a course of that magnitude. In PC Golf a course creator is a no-brainer and many users have put out incredible courses, many times besting what the game Devs put out. It takes the right tools and interface (mouse / keyboard) to pull this off for PC and console Golf courses up to now.

However, if these guys manage to pull this off WITH a gamepad, then I will be first in line to recognize the achievement and congratulate them. I hope they pull it off and force EA to come out with one as good or better. Anxious to see how the game plays and how challenging it might be because without that, a course creation tool won't mean very much if the gameplay isn't right. I'm pulling for this game to succeed as I haven't played any video Golf in months. This would be great for my new Xbox One....
I'm not trying to split hairs with you but I said "impractical" and not "impossible".

The Intro To The Course Creator video is up at their website (http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/01/11/i ... creator-2/) and it looks like the PS4 version. This is exactly what I've envisioned a course creator could be on the consoles 8)

The Golf Club Game Play Video is also back up at the website (http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/01/11/gameplay-video/) and it looks very much like TW. The quote regarding the swing mechanic that John previously posted looks promising. :!:

-MERACE

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

DivotMaker wrote:
MERACE wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Lots of info on the website. Man, I am pumped for this. Sounds like there is a basic course generator that makes a course in a few seconds and then there is an advanced course creator :) love it. Man I hope the course creator is on the consoles.
I've advocated for this type of course creator for years at the EA TW website. I was told repeatedly that it was impractical to create a course on the console using a gamepad.

-MERACE
You were not told it was impossible. You were told what the Tiger Devs told me personally, plus I know full well what it takes to put out a Next Gen, high detail course and nowhere is a game pad even useful trying to build a course of that magnitude. In PC Golf a course creator is a no-brainer and many users have put out incredible courses, many times besting what the game Devs put out. It takes the right tools and interface (mouse / keyboard) to pull this off for PC and console Golf courses up to now.

However, if these guys manage to pull this off WITH a gamepad, then I will be first in line to recognize the achievement and congratulate them. I hope they pull it off and force EA to come out with one as good or better. Anxious to see how the game plays and how challenging it might be because without that, a course creation tool won't mean very much if the gameplay isn't right. I'm pulling for this game to succeed as I haven't played any video Golf in months. This would be great for my new Xbox One....
This game is what we wanted from Tiger to do...Gameplay is the only question mark
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

MERACE wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:
MERACE wrote:

-MERACE

I'm not trying to split hairs with you but I said "impractical" and not "impossible".

The Intro To The Course Creator video is up at their website (http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/01/11/i ... creator-2/) and it looks like the PS4 version. This is exactly what I've envisioned a course creator could be on the consoles 8)

The Golf Club Game Play Video is also back up at the website (http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/01/11/gameplay-video/) and it looks very much like TW. The quote regarding the swing mechanic that John previously posted looks promising. :!:

-MERACE
Impractical or impossible, you seemed to indicate you were told it can't be done and that was never the case as far as my experience with PC versions of course architect software and the fact that building a course from scratch with a gamepad would be problematic. Another concern I have is how much of the hard drive will this course tool take up and will each new course take up space permanently or temporarily. The more I read about this game and its course creation function the more I am supporting their efforts as long as it works well and is easy to use. It would be cool to see a much smaller company like this one think outside the box and deliver something that EA has only briefly mentioned in the forums and nothing officially. I am rooting hard for this game to succeed......

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Watched the Course Designer vid and it looks great. Amazing how quick it created a random course. I just hope we can creat a course from scratch as compared to random generation and then editing. Time will tell. Again, very excited at this point. :D
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Diablo25 wrote:Watched the Course Designer vid and it looks great. Amazing how quick it created a random course. I just hope we can creat a course from scratch as compared to random generation and then editing. Time will tell. Again, very excited at this point. :D
I read somewhere that you can create a course from scratch, but they don't show that in the video. And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading that you can create courses on the PC version, using a mouse and keyboard, and that these courses will also be playable on the XBox One and PS4? I'm still trying to grasp this "course DNA" method they describe on the official website, but it still hasn't fully computed with my gray matter. However, I think it's the course DNA model that makes this possible.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Full cross platform play, custom courses and matches/tournaments, would be pretty amazing. I thought we'd never see that.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Naples39 wrote:Full cross platform play, custom courses and matches/tournaments, would be pretty amazing. I thought we'd never see that.
Okay, I see the quote now... Merace had quoted the bit about course DNA and cross-platform course sharing being a reality:

"INFINITELY EDITABLE AND SHARABLE

One of the biggest advantages of our course generation and editing system is that we only store the “DNA” of the course, rather than a fully-rendered model of the course. This means that it is a relatively small amount of data that can be easily shared with friends and makes cross-platform course sharing a reality."

Does course sharing mean necessarily mean you can play directly against someone on a different platform in real time? I have my doubts about that, but I see how you could play against someone on another platform's recorded round. If they pull off real time. cross-platforme, head-to-head play, they're magicians :o :!:

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Naples39 wrote:Full cross platform play, custom courses and matches/tournaments, would be pretty amazing. I thought we'd never see that.
Okay, I see the quote now... Merace had quoted the bit about course DNA and cross-platform course sharing being a reality:

One of the biggest advantages of our course generation and editing system is that we only store the “DNA” of the course, rather than a fully-rendered model of the course. This means that it is a relatively small amount of data that can be easily shared with friends and makes cross-platform course sharing a reality."

Does course sharing mean necessarily mean you can play directly against someone on a different platform in real time? I have my doubts about that, but I see how you could play against someone on another platform's recorded round. If they pull off real time. cross-platforme, head-to-head play, they're magicians :o :!:
Yeah, real-time cross platform play strikes me as a bridge too far, but cross-platform course sharing, and cross-platform recorded rounds and tournaments would be more than enough for me.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Naples39 wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:

Yeah, real-time cross platform play strikes me as a bridge too far, but cross-platform course sharing, and cross-platform recorded rounds and tournaments would be more than enough for me.
I think we are all on the same page as I posted the following on the EA TW Off Topic Forum:

"I've postponed my next-generation console purchase waiting for a "system seller". Since this game will be released on both PS4 and Xbone it makes the choice of consoles a tougher one. There is mention of cross-platform possibilities for sharing courses so I'm wondering if there could be some type of cross-platform of playing rounds (ghosting, not live) against opponents on opposite consoles (i.e. PS4 vs Xbone). "

-MERACE

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

MERACE wrote:"INFINITELY EDITABLE AND SHARABLE

Mark, do you recall where you found the above on the game's website? I ask because I can't find it now, and I'm wondering if they took it down for some reason.
I think we are all on the same page as I posted the following on the EA TW Off Topic Forum:

"I've postponed my next-generation console purchase waiting for a "system seller". Since this game will be released on both PS4 and Xbone it makes the choice of consoles a tougher one. There is mention of cross-platform possibilities for sharing courses so I'm wondering if there could be some type of cross-platform of playing rounds (ghosting, not live) against opponents on opposite consoles (i.e. PS4 vs Xbone). "
The course sharing I can easily understand. They also say that every round is recorded and saved. If the rounds have a "DNA" like the courses, then it stands to reason that they could be used for ghosted rounds. The only variable I can see that might throw a monkey wrench into this is the PC version. HB Studios still doesn't know what the control options are going to be on the PC: Mouse (click and/or analog), trackball, or PC 'controller'. Unless the PC version controls the same way, with a thumbstick like the PS4 and XBox One, it would seem we're not on the same playing field.

I'm going to have to make a decision on next-gen platform by the middle of February, the way it's looking. I still feel like it's totally at the mercy of which one will somehow get Fanatec wheel support first. Aside from that, neither of them has established themselves as more preferable than the other. I think they're both capable enough to suit my needs. The slight advantage that the XBox One had with PowerStar Golf has now been erased with the announcement of The Golf Club's earlier than expected arrival.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

J_Cauthen wrote: Mark, do you recall where you found the above on the game's website? I ask because I can't find it now, and I'm wondering if they took it down for some reason.
Here's the link: http://thegolfclubgame.com/2013/12/22/article/ It's toward's the bottom of the page.
J_Cauthen wrote:The course sharing I can easily understand. They also say that every round is recorded and saved. If the rounds have a "DNA" like the courses, then it stands to reason that they could be used for ghosted rounds. The only variable I can see that might throw a monkey wrench into this is the PC version. HB Studios still doesn't know what the control options are going to be on the PC: Mouse (click and/or analog), trackball, or PC 'controller'. Unless the PC version controls the same way, with a thumbstick like the PS4 and XBox One, it would seem we're not on the same playing field.
They could have several controller options (mouse, keyboard, game pad controller) on the PC which could be user enforced. For instance, I could setup a round or tournament with mouse only, keyboard only, game pad controller, or any combination of those. This way everyone is playing on a level controller playing field.
J_Cauthen wrote:I'm going to have to make a decision on next-gen platform by the middle of February, the way it's looking. I still feel like it's totally at the mercy of which one will somehow get Fanatec wheel support first. Aside from that, neither of them has established themselves as more preferable than the other. I think they're both capable enough to suit my needs. The slight advantage that the XBox One had with PowerStar Golf has now been erased with the announcement of The Golf Club's earlier than expected arrival.
This is why I'm hoping for cross-platform gaming along with the sharing of course creations. I'm leaning heavily towards the Xbone so I would still like to have some form of competitive involvement of the game with my PS4 friends.

-MERACE

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I'm trying not to get too excited about this but after watching the course designer video it's hard not to :). I really hope this doesn't end up being a 'dud'.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Zlax45 wrote: This game is what we wanted from Tiger to do...Gameplay is the only question mark
You say this like Tiger had stellar game play. IMO it was mediocre most of the time. I find it hard to believe they can't at least deliver on the same level.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

That course designer video was pretty bad ass. It's seems fully functional as does the game in that video. I'm anxious to see it and more information on user made tournament and tours.
Follow Me on:

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Game play video I saw reminded me of the Links game on the PC. I liked Links better than Tiger Woods, although I did really enjoy TW10 on Wii with the Wiimote (and frisby golf).
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Pete1210 wrote:Game play video I saw reminded me of the Links game on the PC. I liked Links better than Tiger Woods, although I did really enjoy TW10 on Wii with the Wiimote (and frisby golf).
I've said elsewhere that The Golf Club looks like what I would have envisioned what Links 2004, from the original XBox, would have evolved into had it continued on in successive console generations. I just hope the swing interface feels like the evolution of what Links 2004's swing interface would feel like.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I just took a peek over at OS for new information on this.
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/g ... -club.html
-Tours and Tournaments can be created and shared with the world.
-No AI players, any competition will be with ghost balls/other user players.
-Game will be quickly iterated after release, makes you wonder what the business model will end up being.
-No PS Move/Kinect support initially.
-Swing mechanics are analog stick driven.
-No career mode.
-Everyone has the same attributes, so no advancing of skills or anything like that.
-Can’t set club distances, preference was to have everyone compete as equals.

-At the moment, no officially licensed gear appears to be in the game.
-All Fictional Courses
-Every created course is rated on a 1-10 scale by users and can be stored as a favorite.
-Each course is rated from Easy to difficult based upon how users are playing it.
-Three ways to play: Stroke play, match play, four ball.
-No difficulty modes. Since its you and the course, your difficulty mode is the difficulty of the courses you decide to play.
-You can start with a completely blank slate and create courses one hole at a time.
-No arcade features like power boosts, etc. Goal is to give a simulation golfing experience to users.
It all sounds slightly ascetic, and will surely turn of the TW crowd who like to shoot in the 50s every round, but I think this is the approach most here have been looking for based on the bitching about TW. :D

Now we just need users to supply the real courses...

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Naples39 wrote:I just took a peek over at OS for new information on this.
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/g ... -club.html
-Tours and Tournaments can be created and shared with the world.
-No AI players, any competition will be with ghost balls/other user players.
-Game will be quickly iterated after release, makes you wonder what the business model will end up being.
-No PS Move/Kinect support initially.
-Swing mechanics are analog stick driven.
-No career mode.
-Everyone has the same attributes, so no advancing of skills or anything like that.
-Can’t set club distances, preference was to have everyone compete as equals.

-At the moment, no officially licensed gear appears to be in the game.
-All Fictional Courses
-Every created course is rated on a 1-10 scale by users and can be stored as a favorite.
-Each course is rated from Easy to difficult based upon how users are playing it.
-Three ways to play: Stroke play, match play, four ball.
-No difficulty modes. Since its you and the course, your difficulty mode is the difficulty of the courses you decide to play.
-You can start with a completely blank slate and create courses one hole at a time.
-No arcade features like power boosts, etc. Goal is to give a simulation golfing experience to users.
It all sounds slightly ascetic, and will surely turn of the TW crowd who like to shoot in the 50s every round, but I think this is the approach most here have been looking for based on the bitching about TW. :D

Now we just need users to supply the real courses...
This sounds great!! Hopefully they can get the cross platform stuff working. If the gameplay is at least decent, I'm in!