HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by MERACE »

J_Cauthen wrote:

I still got some pleasure out of this... somehow :?
You’re a masochist. :wink: :D

-MERACE

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

J_Cauthen wrote:I blew up with a 78 in the final round. I had a triple bogey 7 at number 10, after having a flop and a pitch roll back off the green from nearly pin high, to 32 yards away, where I stood off the green. I also had two double bogeys in the round... one from a four putt from 11 feet :evil:

Did I not warn you about #10? So no sympathy here. :wink: I too somehow enjoyed this difficult course.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:Did I not warn you about #10? So no sympathy here. :wink: I too somehow enjoyed this difficult course.
You did, and I shudder to think about what kind of score I would have posted there if I hadn't approached that hole with the trepidation I had. :) As I was watching my 31 foot (downhill) birdie putt, with which I had targeted the peak of the green tier 14 feet away to putt the ball to, slide by the hole an inch or two on the high side, I knew it was going to roll off the green. If I'd have pulled a Mickelson and putted the ball back toward the hole as it rolled past, I could have at least salvaged a double bogey, with the two shot penalty for hitting a moving ball. :)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

MERACE wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:

You’re a masochist. :wink: :D
Yeah, but at least now I've admitted I have a problem... and that's the first step toward recovery!

I think some of the pin placements were highly questionable in each round, although round 4 was particularly plagued by them. I'd like to see how pin setting 4 would work with medium-fast greens. Still, I think Vader tamed the course pretty nicely. I'd have been happy to have broken par for this tournament. Heck, I was actually -2 after three holes in round 4, and at that point only 4 shots behind Vader. I played the last 15 holes at 10 over par, but the fork got stuck in me with that triple bogey on 10.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I once again didn't finish. Just grown tired of this games warts. When you have a 6 foot downhill putt and your barely touch it and end up with a 13 yard chip coming back, well then I'm over the game. Hope the new version revives my interest but it comes out the same time as Madden so idk.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:I once again didn't finish. Just grown tired of this games warts. When you have a 6 foot downhill putt and your barely touch it and end up with a 13 yard chip coming back, well then I'm over the game. Hope the new version revives my interest but it comes out the same time as Madden so idk.
Haha, been there several times which results in a rage quit moment. :lol:

What's odd is the first game which I now play exclusively doesn't seem nowhere as bad as TGC2.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:I once again didn't finish. Just grown tired of this games warts. When you have a 6 foot downhill putt and your barely touch it and end up with a 13 yard chip coming back, well then I'm over the game. Hope the new version revives my interest but it comes out the same time as Madden so idk.
I can see where this sentiment would come from in this game. I don't think firm and fast greens are a good combination in most cases. The pins have to be carefully placed so as to avoid turning it into carnival golf. There will be a greater variety of combos available in the new game that the tournament creator can set, regarding green speed and firmness and fairway firmness.

When you have a case like we had on hole 10 in round 4 at Shinnecock, where you either make the downhill putt, or your off the green 30 yards away, you've got an unreasonable playing condition, IMO.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Rodster wrote:Haha, been there several times which results in a rage quit moment. :lol:

What's odd is the first game which I now play exclusively doesn't seem nowhere as bad as TGC2.
I've had my rage quit moments in TGC 2, and was right on the edge of having one yesterday... if this hadn't been a major, I probably would have.

As for TGC not seeming as bad as TGC 2, I can't say that I see that regarding firm/fast greens. They seem about the same to me. I find that it's easier to hit a middle to a long iron into a green in TGC 2 and have it hold, than TGC, although I still think there's room for improvement there.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Rodster wrote:Haha, been there several times which results in a rage quit moment. :lol:

I've had my rage quit moments in TGC 2, and was right on the edge of having one yesterday... if this hadn't been a major, I probably would have.

As for TGC not seeming as bad as TGC 2, I can't say that I see that regarding firm/fast greens. They seem about the same to me. I find that it's easier to hit a middle to a long iron into a green in TGC 2 and have it hold, than TGC, although I still think there's room for improvement there.
To me putting in TGC2 is like playing Super Monkey Ball. I don't seem to have severe putting issues in TGC like I do in TGC2. In TGC2 putting the ball seems to have the same physics as you find in air hockey.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Rodster wrote:To me putting in TGC2 is like playing Super Monkey Ball. I don't seem to have severe putting issues in TGC like I do in TGC2. In TGC2 putting the ball seems to have the same physics as you find in air hockey.
On which platform are you playing TGC 2 Rodster? That may have some bearing on our percpetions.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Rodster wrote:To me putting in TGC2 is like playing Super Monkey Ball. I don't seem to have severe putting issues in TGC like I do in TGC2. In TGC2 putting the ball seems to have the same physics as you find in air hockey.
On which platform are you playing TGC 2 Rodster? That may have some bearing on our percpetions.
PC and PS4 Pro

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Rodster wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:
PC and PS4 Pro
I'm now on the XBox one X about 80% of the time and the PC the rest, with TGC 2. I guess it's down to a difference in perceptions, but in the end, your experience is what it is. I wish I could have played the stress test beta more than I got to play it, as I would have liked to experiment more with green speeds, green firmness and putting behavior. I really can't make a call on it at this point... it certainly wasn't radically different though.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote: I can see where this sentiment would come from in this game. I don't think firm and fast greens are a good combination in most cases. The pins have to be carefully placed so as to avoid turning it into carnival golf. There will be a greater variety of combos available in the new game that the tournament creator can set, regarding green speed and firmness and fairway firmness.
With all due respect these excuses are just that, reasons for some bat s*** crazy physics. I play competitive golf, my home course has very fast greens avg stimpmeter is 10 to 11.5 and higher in tournaments and we have some really hard pin positions with undulating greens. I've faced similar putts in real life and I've never, and I do mean never blown a putt past the hole 42 feet.

Those conditions in this game are like putting on pavement and I get that the USGA just set up a real life course (to their detriment if you ask me) to play like this. Players making good shots and not being rewarded etc. However I did not see a player miss a putt by 40 feet plus these conditions are every course in TGC 2.

The problem is three fold in my opinion.

1. The physics baked into these conditions is off, I don't know what formula they are using but it sure as s*** doesn't seem to be tied to the stimpmeter formula.

2. Reading greens in golf games hasn't evolved. I'd argue I get better information in Golden tee as to what a putt is going to do then modern golf video games. There needs to be a better way to read greens.

3. I'd rather they go back to using the aiming marker for not only aim but for distance. Even the average golfer can sit on a level green and say I want to hit it to this spot and get the speed right a majority of the time. Try it, go to a putting green and forget putting to a hole that is a terrible way to work on pack. Go pick a 1 foot diameter spot on the green, go out to 6 feet then hit 10 balls and see how many you get in the spot. Going back to this method simply means the golfer needs to adjust for elevation changes.

Generally the core of the game is good even if bunker and short game shots are a little too easy. However putting and green physics need a lot of work and honestly I don't see that happening. Being able to set course conditions outside of the course creator will help but it is a band aid to a bigger issue.
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Speaking about batsh*t crazy physics, i've commented a few times where i've chipped the ball downhill and watched the ball spin back and land past my feet, so now i'm further away from the hole. That sh*t defies any level of Newton's physics.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Rodster wrote:Speaking about batsh*t crazy physics, i've commented a few times where i've chipped the ball downhill and watched the ball spin back and land past my feet, so now i'm further away from the hole. That sh*t defies any level of Newton's physics.
One thing I can say about the chipping in TGC 2019, at least that of the stress test beta, it was the most realistic chipping experience I've ever had in a golf game, both in execution and results. I hope they can get the putting game to the same level.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:With all due respect these excuses are just that, reasons for some bat s*** crazy physics. I play competitive golf, my home course has very fast greens avg stimpmeter is 10 to 11.5 and higher in tournaments and we have some really hard pin positions with undulating greens. I've faced similar putts in real life and I've never, and I do mean never blown a putt past the hole 42 feet.
I agree that they don't have the roll properly scaled, particularly at the higher two green speeds. When we do the gameplay physics portion of the beta testing, I plan to put the spotlight on this, if it's still like we're seeing in TGC 2.
1. The physics baked into these conditions is off, I don't know what formula they are using but it sure as s*** doesn't seem to be tied to the stimpmeter formula.
I think they tried to tie it in but missed to varying degrees. They weren't able to do as much in adjusting items like this because their publisher at that time (Maximum Games) was tying their hands with regard to updates.
2. Reading greens in golf games hasn't evolved. I'd argue I get better information in Golden tee as to what a putt is going to do then modern golf video games. There needs to be a better way to read greens.
I agree here but I don't know what the answer is.
3. I'd rather they go back to using the aiming marker for not only aim but for distance. Even the average golfer can sit on a level green and say I want to hit it to this spot and get the speed right a majority of the time. Try it, go to a putting green and forget putting to a hole that is a terrible way to work on pack. Go pick a 1 foot diameter spot on the green, go out to 6 feet then hit 10 balls and see how many you get in the spot. Going back to this method simply means the golfer needs to adjust for elevation changes.
I'd like to see the the aiming maker for aim and distance become an option. I don't have much confidence we'll see that in TGC 2019.
wever putting and green physics need a lot of work and honestly I don't see that happening. Being able to set course conditions outside of the course creator will help but it is a band aid to a bigger issue.
I was very excited by what I saw with the chipping game in TGC 2019 during the beta stress test. I never once saw a "checking chip". They all rolled out very believably, and were easier to hit off line, especially like 'push' offline. I doubt the overall physics are going to be to everyone's liking, but it seems to me like HBS is making strides in that direction. I got cold chills when I hit my first push draw in the beta, and could actually feel it in my thumb, before I looked at the feedback meter!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Appreciate the responses and at the end of the day they need to determine what their game is trying to model. Is it the average weekend golfer or a PGA pro? Because some parts of the game play like your a tour player and others like someone who has stumbled drunk onto the course for the first time.

After the hours I've put into this game I'm not having fun anymore, hopefully 2019 will bring that back.
Follow Me on:

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Rage quit this weekends tournament on hole 12 of the second round, ball keeps rolling away from the hole no matter what, slow putt stops short of the hole rolls further back, fast putt goes a little past the hole rolls back more, think I'm finally done with golf until Golf Club 2019 comes out. :evil:
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

vader29 wrote:Rage quit this weekends tournament on hole 12 of the second round, ball keeps rolling away from the hole no matter what, slow putt stops short of the hole rolls further back, fast putt goes a little past the hole rolls back more, think I'm finally done with golf until Golf Club 2019 comes out. :evil:
I'll have to see if I can avoid a rage quit, as I've got my first round under my belt, and was clinging to a one shot lead over you after round 1. Is 12 a par 3 hole? I recall in the first round, I played a beautiful bunker shot out of the bunker on the left side of the green. The rolled up to a foot from the hole and almost came to a stop. Suddenly, it started trickling, and trickling until it rolled to within a foot of your ball, 14 feet from the hole!? I got a read off or your putt, or I would have missed it on the low side also.

I think this course is just poorly recreated... it looks horrible on my new 4K TCL display. The bright green fairways look like something out of a cartoon. The big problem though, as you've no doubt came to a fatal conclusion on, is a few ridiculous pin placements!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

J_Cauthen wrote:
vader29 wrote:Rage quit this weekends tournament on hole 12 of the second round, ball keeps rolling away from the hole no matter what, slow putt stops short of the hole rolls further back, fast putt goes a little past the hole rolls back more, think I'm finally done with golf until Golf Club 2019 comes out. :evil:
I'll have to see if I can avoid a rage quit, as I've got my first round under my belt, and was clinging to a one shot lead over you after round 1. Is 12 a par 3 hole? I recall in the first round, I played a beautiful bunker shot out of the bunker on the left side of the green. The rolled up to a foot from the hole and almost came to a stop. Suddenly, it started trickling, and trickling until it rolled to within a foot of your ball, 14 feet from the hole!? I got a read off or your putt, or I would have missed it on the low side also.

I think this course is just poorly recreated... it looks horrible on my new 4K TCL display. The bright green fairways look like something out of a cartoon. The big problem though, as you've no doubt came to a fatal conclusion on, is a few ridiculous pin placements!
It’s actually a par 4 hole, but the location of the pin is tricky as hell. You have a +12 mph wind, and the sand trap is just in front of the pin. I fell short of the pin and landed in the sand. Because it’s a downhill slope from there and with only 10 yards to go, you pretty much have to be perfect executing a sand shot. I thought I did lobbying it about 5ft short of the pin until it started rolling sideways. I was very fortunate to chip into the hole for a par but I can see how people can get frustrated here.

The visuals gets a bit better in round two but it certainly looked grainy in the first.

Don’t give up Vader. I went on to double bogey the next par 5. :evil: . I must have hit only 3 fairways in round two.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:It’s actually a par 4 hole, but the location of the pin is tricky as hell. You have a +12 mph wind, and the sand trap is just in front of the pin. I fell short of the pin and landed in the sand. Because it’s a downhill slope from there and with only 10 yards to go, you pretty much have to be perfect executing a sand shot. I thought I did lobbying it about 5ft short of the pin until it started rolling sideways. I was very fortunate to chip into the hole for a par but I can see how people can get frustrated here.

The visuals gets a bit better in round two but it certainly looked grainy in the first.

Don’t give up Vader. I went on to double bogey the next par 5. :evil: . I must have hit only 3 fairways in round two.
I played with your ghost and saw how you were robbed on the 12th. I thought you'd hit a perfect bunker shot, but the ball just defiantly kept rolling. I was over the green with my approach and wound up having to sink a 12 footer for bogey. If it had missed on rolled back to my feet again, I'd have probably rage quit. I wound up shooting like 73 (3 over) for the round and I'm two shots behind you now.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Maybe I'll try to finish it tonight, probably going to end up maxing out the shots to finish that 12th hole though.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Played about 17 holes and simply stopped playing as the course is a crap course, not even remotely close to River Highlands in terrain, slopes, etc.

Looking forward to next week's courses on X1X as I finally have the calibration dialed in on my new TCL 55R615. Game looks good on X1X.

It looks AMAZING on PC....

Can't wait for 2019 PGA TOUR....

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DivotMaker wrote:Played about 17 holes and simply stopped playing as the course is a crap course, not even remotely close to River Highlands in terrain, slopes, etc.
If you had put me on this course, not telling me the name of the course, and asked me to identify it what course I was playing, I wouldn't have guessed River Highlands. It was always one of my farvorite courses in the Tiger Woods series, but this one really missed on the rolling topography of that course. It also lacked a lot of the architecture that surrounds that course and makes it so unique.

The pin placement on #12 in the final round was again, ridiculous. Had I not been playing with Vader and 10sPro's ghost balls, I'd have three-putted for sure. I wish we could get the CLV or FiendBOMBER to do a recreation of River Highlands... it deserves a top tier course creator to render it faithfully!
Looking forward to next week's courses on X1X as I finally have the calibration dialed in on my new TCL 55R615. Game looks good on X1X.
It really does, doesn't it? I still can't believe how much better it looks on the TCL, just by virtue of the upscaling and the naturally dynamic lighting.
It looks AMAZING on PC....
It's clearly a step up from what I get out of my XBox One X, but I'd imagine I could make it look just as good - if not better - via the XBox One X, if I had access to the same graphics options in the X's menu as I have in the PC versions.
Can't wait for 2019 PGA TOUR....
Yeah, I'm really stoked for it. I think they're going to wind up getting the swing more refined and challenging by release date. It'll be nice to have real time multiplayer at our disposal, but it doesn't sound like we'll be able to get the the same kind of connectivity playing multiplayer Society tournament rounds. We can play the rounds in conjunction with other Society players, but it sounds like they'll be mired by the 4 to 7 second delay we currently have when trying to do this. I wish they could figure a way around it.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

So I was checking out the upcoming tour schedule on the PGA website and saw that a T. Crouch had won a tournament, wonder if he is related to Terry?