HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote:I konked out before I could binge play my final 45 holes last night at Sawgrass... at last count I was 40 shots behind Tim! :D I had such a roller coaster ride through the first 36 holes. I just bought a TCL 6-Series 55R617 4K HDR HDTV last week and got it going on Monday. It's got one of the lowest input lags in the industry at 18 ms, and that has turned out to be a curse in disguise for me so far.
I played my first 2 rounds Thursday before anyone else and struggled to keep myself at even par. Then Saturday went back and shot round 3. While I was playing only Vader had a posted score but when I was done Divot's score showed up and I didn't even bother finishing. I think he was -26 through 3 rounds and I figure why waste an hour of my time. :D

I like the official tournament because Im playing against people my level but the courses they choose sometimes are bad and I think there must be some kind of rule they can't use a real course because I've never seen one.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Enjoy your new toy John and continue to hit it straight. Straight is something I have been struggling to do, my swing lately is everywhere. When I try to fix my fast/fast swing which cost me dearly in the early rounds at Sawgrass, I came back with a perfect/slow follow thru and I just couldn’t help but feel my confidence dwindle after every hole. I remember going to the water twice in R3 for the infamous #17.

Yesterday, with no kids, no dog, and a little time for myself, I managed to finish the last round with a 61 and it gave me back a bit of the confidence that I had lost since Thursday.

I know Divot shot all the way to the moon, over the weekend I was telling Vader that even with our scores combined would not be enough to match Tim’s score, never mind beating it.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Vader and 10spro, I played the second round of this weeks DSP 72 holer with your ghosts today and I thought the pin location in the broken shade on 16 was brutal. I can't recall ever hitting a putt where I felt so clueless as to where the hole was, even though it was only 19 feet away. I think my new HDR HDTV is exacerbating shadowing pin placements in TGC 2 with its wider extremes between sun and shadow. I two putted, but even as the ball rolled by the hole, I couldn't see how close it came.... weird :?

BTW, this is a real course recreation from what I recall from its creator, Friendbomber... I think he said it was in Utah. I know it struck me because it doesn't have all the nuance that one expects from one of his fabulous recreations, but he said this was a no frills course, IRL.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro, you lapped the field in this past week's tournament. Nice win... that friggin' course owned me. I put 7 balls in the water over four rounds, three on one hole (the 18th in round 1). I was playing TGC 2 after cramming 108 holes of beta testing TGC 2019 on the PC, and that screwed with my tempo just a bit, but most of my woes were just not being able to figure that course out. I four-putted from 28 feet in round 4, on the hole where the pin was cut on a yellow slope. You played a good, controlled game and didn't make any serious mistakes, from what I could see.

BTW guys, has anyone played any of their 36 hole tournament rounds for this week yet? I was wanting to propose, as and experiment, that we all agree to a "no loft" - for any shot- gentlemen's agreement just to see how it would affect scoring for this tournament only. MERACE mentioned his style of play where he lays off the loft adjustment in the official forum, and I thought it would be nice to have a little comparison data to discuss it over.

I find the partial shot control ability to be overly restrictive with the current interface for full shots, in particular, for TGC 2. And honestly, it was no better from what I could tell with my brief time with TGC 2019, while I was experimenting with it on the practice range.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

J_Cauthen wrote:after cramming 108 holes of beta testing TGC 2019 on the PC
JC does TGC 2019 look better than TGC 2?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Rodster wrote:JC does TGC 2019 look better than TGC 2?
Based on the limited assets they had in use for the Stress Test beta, I'd give it an overall nod over TGC 2. I wasn't as stunned as to how much better it looked as I thought I'd be, but my impression is they've opted for a SpeedTree LOD that's a bit modest, in the interest of attaining a higher frame rate performance, and the result is that the trees - in general - don't look as good to me as those of TGC 2.

HBS received a lot of feedback about this during the beta and I'm sure they'll react to it in some manner. There was also a sort of washed out look to the game that a number of testers saw, including myself, and HBS responded to that criticism with the fact that they haven't done a final lighting pass on the game yet. That will no doubt help it out and erase my concern there.

The light and heavy rough textures looked better, as do the the bunker textures. If your ball rolls in the bunkers now, it leaves a trail behind it that looks very convincing. I like seeing the divots flying on approach shots. They've also got on offset, opponent view camera option that I think is going to add some immersion to the game. If I've got turn base play enabled, I lose my third party playing perspective, watching my playing companions play their shots from their swing camera perspective.... I'm not playing the shot, they are and I shouldn't be seeing what their seeing at that point, IMO. The angles need some expansion for that as they have you standing at like a 60 to 70 degree perspective, rather than a 30 to 40 degree perspective behind them. It sounds like some changes and additional options are coming there.

TGC 2019 plays so much better than TGC 2 in the rough and chipping game play. Both of these phases are very realistic now. The rough shot distance penalties are more realistic and I can take my intuition into playing rough shots now rather than knowing I'll have chop it back into play. Chip shots roll out without a hint of a false "checking chip" like we get now 10 to 15% of the time in TGC 2. It's also easier to hit a chip shot offline, scuff it, or pop it up, depending on your tempo and swing path errors... I totally loved the way this played out.

The normal shot swing difficulty was too easy, overall. I find it easier to make a larger array of tempo errors with the swing, but the penalties for the tempo errors are not what they should be here. It's also just as easy, if not easier, to keep the club in a non-punitive swing path, even with the harder clubs, now called "Masters" instead of "Tour" clubs. HBS got a lot of feedback on this also, and they've indicated tuning for it is in the works.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I'm going to play my 36 holes in this week's DSP Society tournament without touching the loft adjustment... look for a proportional level of suckage in my scores for this event! :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Rodster wrote:JC does TGC 2019 look better than TGC 2?
Based on the limited assets they had in use for the Stress Test beta, I'd give it an overall nod over TGC 2. I wasn't as stunned as to how much better it looked as I thought I'd be, but my impression is they've opted for a SpeedTree LOD that's a bit modest, in the interest of attaining a higher frame rate performance, and the result is that the trees - in general - don't look as good to me as those of TGC 2.

HBS received a lot of feedback about this during the beta and I'm sure they'll react to it in some manner. There was also a sort of washed out look to the game that a number of testers saw, including myself, and HBS responded to that criticism with the fact that they haven't done a final lighting pass on the game yet. That will no doubt help it out and erase my concern there.

The light and heavy rough textures looked better, as do the the bunker textures. If your ball rolls in the bunkers now, it leaves a trail behind it that looks very convincing. I like seeing the divots flying on approach shots. They've also got on offset, opponent view camera option that I think is going to add some immersion to the game. If I've got turn base play enabled, I lose my third party playing perspective, watching my playing companions play their shots from their swing camera perspective.... I'm not playing the shot, they are and I shouldn't be seeing what their seeing at that point, IMO. The angles need some expansion for that as they have you standing at like a 60 to 70 degree perspective, rather than a 30 to 40 degree perspective behind them. It sounds like some changes and additional options are coming there.
Wow I tought the trees in TGC 2 looked squared.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

J_Cauthen wrote:10spro, you lapped the field in this past week's tournament. Nice win... that friggin' course owned me. I put 7 balls in the water over four rounds, three on one hole (the 18th in round 1). I was playing TGC 2 after cramming 108 holes of beta testing TGC 2019 on the PC, and that screwed with my tempo just a bit, but most of my woes were just not being able to figure that course out. I four-putted from 28 feet in round 4, on the hole where the pin was cut on a yellow slope. You played a good, controlled game and didn't make any serious mistakes.
To be quite honest I haven’t checked the final scores and if I indeed won the tournament, I assume Divot did not play. I guess you’re not the only one that struggled on this course. Over the weekend, I was asking Vader how he felt was doing and to my surprise he mentioned about rage quitting.

Personally, I found the course challenging, and yes like you if you followed my ghost, I had my share of swims but ultimately I think I putted solidly especially when trying to save par. As you know the greens were very fast and at times hard to read with the ondulations and even unfairly placed in some holes.

If you had a ft downhill putt, you would barely caress it and the ball would sail on you. Can’t remember what I shot as I am out of town now, but thanks for the compliments, watching D. Johnson over the weekend was a bit inspiring.

As to playing without the lofts this weekend, I am OK with everyone’s experiment but like you said, that’s going to be quite a challenge.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Did they get rid of the shadows or a way to turn them off on the green. I'd like to be able to see the hole I'm putting at and in a lot of cases i can't.

Also did they tie course conditions into the tournament / round set up or are they still baked into course creation?
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:Did they get rid of the shadows or a way to turn them off on the green. I'd like to be able to see the hole I'm putting at and in a lot of cases i can't.

Also did they tie course conditions into the tournament / round set up or are they still baked into course creation?
1.) Didn't play a course that cast a shadow across the green. I also didn't see any sort of switch to toggle shadows on and off, but then again, there were whole sections of the menu that were grayed out and you couldn't even drop them down to see what was there

2.) Thankfully you have the option to set green and fairway firmness and speed. You can set time of day (from five segments of the day), clear sky to rain, with three degrees of clouds in between.... oh and 5 gradients of wind speed and eight choices of direction.

Tournaments were grayed out as was all Society functions. I would hope that these conditions would be settable for tournament play. It would stand to reason that they would if they're available for multiplayer play.
Last edited by J_Cauthen on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:To be quite honest I haven’t checked the final scores and if I indeed won the tournament, I assume Divot did not play. I guess you’re not the only one that struggled on this course. Over the weekend, I was asking Vader how he felt was doing and to my surprise he mentioned about rage quitting.

Personally, I found the course challenging, and yes like you if you followed my ghost, I had my share of swims but ultimately I think I putted solidly especially when trying to save par. As you know the greens were very fast and at times hard to read with the ondulations and even unfairly placed in some holes.

If you had a ft downhill putt, you would barely caress it and the ball would sail on you. Can’t remember what I shot as I am out of town now, but thanks for the compliments, watching D. Johnson over the weekend was a bit inspiring.

As to playing without the lofts this weekend, I am OK with everyone’s experiment but like you said, that’s going to be quite a challenge.
I played my first round in this week's 36 holer last night, leaving increasing or decreasing of loft adjustment in default position. Ironically, through the luck of the draw, there were only three occasions where I would have lofted or de-lofted in the whole round :o I made par on each of those holes, but I cant say that I wouldn't have had a birdie or two had I been able to loft of de-loft there. I shot a 67, but had a less than stellar day with the putter.

I'll play again tonight to see what I come up with. Hopefully I'll find myself in between clubs more often in this round.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

J_Cauthen wrote:I'm going to play my 36 holes in this week's DSP Society tournament without touching the loft adjustment... look for a proportional level of suckage in my scores for this event! :)
I'll be back after I finish playing my US Open rounds on PC later this week.

I was lucky enough to win the FedEx St. Jude event at TGC TOURS last week which is the first time I have ever won an event at that level. Won a Web.com tournament my first event back from a 3 year hiatus back in September of last year.

The unexpected win earned me a promotion to the World Tour for the second time in 6 weeks. Hope to stay up there a bit longer this time but man are those guys good.

Also reached another goal of mine, I broke through the Top 100 and sit in 82nd worldwide on the regular tours and 20th on the TrueSim Tour. Not bad for an old fart.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

10spro wrote:Over the weekend, I was asking Vader how he felt was doing and to my surprise he mentioned about rage quitting.
Yep first DSP event I didn't complete, was -4 after the first round and decided to switch back to tour clubs for the second round and everything went to hell, the super fast greens did me in for the rage quit as I think I was +8 for the tourney and hadn't yet made it past the 9th hole.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

J_Cauthen wrote: 2.) Thankfully you have the option to set green and fairway firmness and speed. You can set time of day (from five segments of the day), clear sky to rain, with three degrees of coulds in between.... oh and 5 gradients of wind speed and direction.
Love this!
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

vader29 wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote: 2.) Thankfully you have the option to set green and fairway firmness and speed. You can set time of day (from five segments of the day), clear sky to rain, with three degrees of coulds in between.... oh and 5 gradients of wind speed and direction.
Love this!
Oh and I should have clarified that there are eight selectable wind directions. These options are going to breath a lot of life into this game, IMO!

Oh, here's a comment from an E3 show goer yesterday who got to play an 18 hole round on the XBox Beta version at Sawgrass, which he said was the most authentic version of Sawgrass he's ever played... it's very telling:

I play on a pretty fat PC but the XboxOne version I just tried out did not seem any different to the PC test version I tested last week so they are really close at this point.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DivotMaker wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:I'm going to play my 36 holes in this week's DSP Society tournament without touching the loft adjustment... look for a proportional level of suckage in my scores for this event! :)

I was lucky enough to win the FedEx St. Jude event at TGC TOURS last week which is the first time I have ever won an event at that level. Won a Web.com tournament my first event back from a 3 year hiatus back in September of last year.

The unexpected win earned me a promotion to the World Tour for the second time in 6 weeks. Hope to stay up there a bit longer this time but man are those guys good.

Also reached another goal of mine, I broke through the Top 100 and sit in 82nd worldwide on the regular tours and 20th on the TrueSim Tour. Not bad for an old fart.
You've been on a tear here of late! I'm always amazed at how many chip shots you hole. I've never gotten really comfortable with the chipping in TGC 2 and I'm always seeing examples of how poorly my chipping game stacks up to others. I'm clearly in the bottom quartile when it comes to chipping. I was actually on the PGA Tour at one time in TGC. I'd fallen to Web.com by the time TGC 2 was released, now I find myself only one demotion strike away from CC-B... still having fun with it when I get to play though.

I wasn't even aware there was a World Tour? I guess that's above PGA Tour?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

They should eliminate chipping on the green in this game. I'm tired of watching people chip 80 foot putts in during official tournaments because chipping is so easy in this game for some.
Follow Me on:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

J_Cauthen wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:

You've been on a tear here of late! I'm always amazed at how many chip shots you hole. I've never gotten really comfortable with the chipping in TGC 2 and I'm always seeing examples of how poorly my chipping game stacks up to others. I'm clearly in the bottom quartile when it comes to chipping. I was actually on the PGA Tour at one time in TGC. I'd fallen to Web.com by the time TGC 2 was released, now I find myself only one demotion strike away from CC-B... still having fun with it when I get to play though.

I wasn't even aware there was a World Tour? I guess that's above PGA Tour?
World Tour is the top 75 players in TGC TOURS, one step above PGA TOUR.

My goal now is to stay there. Last time I made it on a Masters exemption because my WGR points were high for the previous 5 week before the Masters. In 4 events following the Masters, I never played well enough to avoid a strike or double strike and was sent packing back to the PGA. Missed two consecutive cuts playing poorly, then all of a sudden won on the course Three Eyed Raven with a score of -53. I was in a zone for this tournament and my worst round was -10 and best round -17 sandwiched around a -14 and -12. Luck played a part as well.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Played my second round of this week's 36 holer, sans the loft tool. In this round, there were seven instances where I would have lofted, or de-lofted the club, compared to only three in the first. Three of those instances occurred on back-to-back-to-back par 4's, where I was in between clubs. I tried shortening my backswing to get the 90-95% distance needed. The results were three "Slow/Slow" tempo results that wound up yielding the desired carry, but I pushed each one of them a bit out to the right. Only one of them was far enough right to miss the green, and I was just beyond the fringe with it.

Overall, I'd say I might have cost myself two or three strokes in the round by not using the loft function, but that's really speculative. I birdied one of the par fours where I'd hit a 90% 4-iron to within 12 feet. I shot 64 for the round and finished one stroke behind Vader for the tournament, at -10. The critical blow for me was when I ran my 21 foot birdie putt from the fringe, 39 feet past the hole on 17, after failing to take into account how the slope dropped off 3 feet past the hole... I can attribute that to loft :)

I wish there was a bit more granularity to the swing interface in TGC 2, and from what I've seen so far.. TGC 2019. I like trying to finesse full shots and while it can be done in TGC 2, it's such a touchy process that it feels far more difficult to execute in the game than it does in real life. I'd like to try a Society that had the loft box disabled, just to see if I could come around on it because I can see where it's not far away from being a lot of fun.

And MERACE, you're right... when these rounds were over, I didn't feel like I had to take a shower!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I almost rage quit in round 3 of the Open today, after I made a triple bogey on the 11th or 12th. I had a checking chip check right at the ridge of the a two tiered green. The chip rolled back off the green, through the fringe, beyond my golfer's feet and back into the heavy rough on a severe slope. I had a 38 foot putt for double bogey, lipped it out and had to make a 7 footer for triple. I only made two birdies for the round and putted like an imbecile!

On about the 15th, I realized I was enjoying being humbled like that as I could attribute every false shot I made on me, sans the checking chip... which BTW never happened to me once in the Stress test beta for The Golf Club 2019! My third round 77 just showed me why this game means so much to me, it can still challenge you in so many realistic ways.... for the most part. :wink:

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

I rage quit in my 2nd round at the Open after too much frustration with the pin placements and difficulty of the course. :evil:

However, the course is an excellent rendition of the real course and fairly accurately depicts the difficulty of what the real PGA players are experiencing this weekend.

Frankly, I just got too tired of the frustration and played one of my other Society tournament rounds. :(

-MERACE

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Well, I shot a +7 on my last round and should have left the game after #10. In a way I can see DJ’s frustration today. Two 35 yards lob shots came straight back at me, talk about a game of inches. Shot a triple bogey there I think. It’s a tough Open as we are witnessing this weekend in NY, but some of the pin locations were just brutal indeed. But hey it’s a major event so we all have to suck it up.

Along with some poor club decision and aggresive putting, the course just owned me on the last round.

Finish at +4.

So John, keep on playing... :D

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

10spro wrote:Well, I shot a +7 on my last round and should have left the game after #10. In a way I can see DJ’s frustration today. Two 35 yards lob shots came straight back at me, talk about a game of inches. Shot a triple bogey there I think. It’s a tough Open as we are witnessing this weekend in NY, but some of the pin locations were just brutal indeed. But hey it’s a major event so we all have to suck it up.

Along with some poor club decision and aggresive putting, the course just owned me on the last round.

Finish at +4.

So John, keep on playing... :D
I feel your pain there fellas.....played this course at TGC Tours for the US Open and shot -24 with two 61's and a couple of horrid rounds in between. I got tired of the grind.

Hard to believe the winning score is double mine ....-48. I'm tied for 65th out of 80 players....

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I blew up with a 78 in the final round. I had a triple bogey 7 at number 10, after having a flop and a pitch roll back off the green from nearly pin high, to 32 yards away, where I stood off the green. I also had two double bogeys in the round... one from a four putt from 11 feet :evil:

I still got some pleasure out of this... somehow :?
Last edited by J_Cauthen on Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.