HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by Danimal »

Everyone at -20 something and me at -4. WTF cheaters! :D

Every Ghost I play you guys leave your chips within 3 feet, I've never seen a bad chip from anyone but me. I need to hit the chipping range,
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:Everyone at -20 something and me at -4. WTF cheaters! :D

Every Ghost I play you guys leave your chips within 3 feet, I've never seen a bad chip from anyone but me. I need to hit the chipping range,
Easy course w/ slow, non-sloped greens... :)

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

Can I join your society? My Xbox Gamertag is ILikeNeapolitan
Currently Playing: Battlefield V, American Fugitive, Madden NFL 19, Golf Club 2019

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

bulls23 wrote:Can I join your society? My Xbox Gamertag is ILikeNeapolitan
You are in.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

Thanks! I got the game during the recent New Years Sale for $16. I've only played about 5-7 rounds so my handicap is still over 20. Hope I can hang with you guys. Impressed with the gameplay and graphics, don't think it will ever get old with all the created courses.

Kudos to whoever created this society, it looks like you used the real courses for this year?
Currently Playing: Battlefield V, American Fugitive, Madden NFL 19, Golf Club 2019

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I tried to match the weekend tournaments to the real ones the pros are playing but not all of the courses are in there so on those weekends I put a mix of real courses and some of the official TGC courses in their place. The 2 round Monday to Wednesday courses were picked from friends favorite lists, popular courses and the higher rated courses in the game that had lots of plays.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Congrats to John for the Sony Open win. Three of us beat the top score of the pros this week.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Who are those guys? :lol: Nice shooting John.

Finished the two day tourney too, man that wind was as unpredictable as hell. :evil:

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

Wow, did I really stink up the joint! Did not deserve to make the cut. I did fine on driving and chipping, but I had a lot of 3 and 4 putts on the green where I would just miss the cup. The greens were a nightmare with all the turns.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I was even par in round one and took a 9 on a hole when I hooked 2 tee shots into the water. I never hook the ball but on all 4 rounds on this one hole I did which is beyond odd. Anyway once your 5 over after one hole you stop caring so I just played out the string not really focusing.

I found several graphical glitches on that course and the greens were tough. Didn't help it was very hard to see the grid lines for some reason.

IDK why but I can shoot under par on my PC but struggle to shoot par on the 1X.
Follow Me on:

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

There were some weird weather effects on the Hawaiian course. Two of the rounds seem to have been played in full sun or something, which made the grid lines very hard to read in those rounds. I kept having to play around with the camera to get a reasonable read.

Was not a fan of the greens on the 2-day course that's currently running. Course is gorgeous, but the hold placement is pretty messed up on some of those greens.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:Who are those guys? :lol: Nice shooting John.

Finished the two day tourney too, man that wind was as unpredictable as hell. :evil:
An 8th of an inch... that's the distance I moved my thumb to the left on my left thumbstick (the swing stick for me) to make the difference in my game over the last week. I've gone from hitting 35% FIR/45% GIRs to 70%/75% because that change in address geometry corrected what I'd slowly drifted away from. I still have to force myself to think about it and pay attention with each shot, but hopefully it will become second nature again. It's uncanny how this game has so many nuances that are analogous to my real game :o

You made a great comeback in the final two rounds to make it interesting. I played with your and Vader's ghosts in the final round and it was fun watching the "matchplay" contest that broke out between the two of you.

The wind did wreak havoc in this tournament at times. I thought the course played fairly well, overall, although I think tropical and desert are the two themes of which TGC 2 has to the most trouble selling the flavor.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

bulls23 wrote:Wow, did I really stink up the joint! Did not deserve to make the cut. I did fine on driving and chipping, but I had a lot of 3 and 4 putts on the green where I would just miss the cup. The greens were a nightmare with all the turns.
You are playing with "Player" clubs, right? It appeared to me that you were in the round I played with your ghost. That's the best way to learn the game... you'll get more comfortable with it over time. The important thing is to try to keep the ball out of the heavy rough, and avoid overpowering putts. It's so easy to roll a 15 foot putt, 10 feet past the hole in this game.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:I was even par in round one and took a 9 on a hole when I hooked 2 tee shots into the water. I never hook the ball but on all 4 rounds on this one hole I did which is beyond odd. Anyway once your 5 over after one hole you stop caring so I just played out the string not really focusing.

I found several graphical glitches on that course and the greens were tough. Didn't help it was very hard to see the grid lines for some reason.

IDK why but I can shoot under par on my PC but struggle to shoot par on the 1X.
I can still score better on the PC version myself, but so few of my friends play on the PC version anymore I just decided to mostly abandon it. I've gotten the hang of the 1X's nuances now, and how they affect the swing in TGC 2. I'll back out of a swing as soon as I see the hint of a stutter. After a quick readdress, they never seem to repeat themselves.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Funny you say that. I noticed if I move my thumb down, almost rotate it as if I am pulling the stick straight down as opposed to how it sit naturally I hit the ball much straighter. It's not comfortable at all and is not required on the PC but that is the trick. Getting through a full round doing that is hard.

I also noticed if I s*** straight up on the end of my couch I make less mistakes. On the PC I am sitting in a desk chair so I am upright. On the couch I'm leaning back, maybe at an angle.

Crazy how much this affects things for me. It's almost like I need to be uncomfortable to play it on the 1X :D
Follow Me on:

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Danimal wrote:
I also noticed if I s*** straight up on the end of my couch I make less mistakes.
Shitting on the couch is a big mistake. 8O

:P

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

haha :D
Follow Me on:

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Is it just me or are the greens on Oakmont like a carnival ride?! :evil: :roll:

They aren't like that on the real course are they? :?

-MERACE

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

MERACE wrote:Is it just me or are the greens on Oakmont like a carnival ride?! :evil: :roll:

-MERACE
That was my initial impression. Are the Pros playing on this oily green in real life? Just some BS rides for sure especially downhill.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

10spro wrote:
MERACE wrote:Is it just me or are the greens on Oakmont like a carnival ride?! :evil: :roll:

-MERACE
That was my initial impression. Are the Pros playing on this oily green in real life? Just some BS rides for sure especially downhill.
This was the U.S. Open course a couple years ago, this weekends course wasn't in the game but the next 5 weekends after this weekend will match the courses the pros are playing. Can't have an easy course every week to shoot well under par, suck it up for a weekend. :twisted:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

-MERACE
This is where the aiming marker for putting makes a HUGE difference. I refused to use it for the longest time, then I saw some posts on TGC Tours explaining how it is used properly can help modulate putting speed. Now I use it all the time and it makes a helluva difference ESPECIALLY on greens like Oakmont's.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

DivotMaker wrote:
This is where the aiming marker for putting makes a HUGE difference. I refused to use it for the longest time, then I saw some posts on TGC Tours explaining how it is used properly can help modulate putting speed. Now I use it all the time and it makes a helluva difference ESPECIALLY on greens like Oakmont's.
Would you happen to have a link to the posts on TGC Tours explaining the use of the aiming marker for putting?

-MERACE

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

No they are not and they weren't this way for the Open either. I remember how bad this course is in the game from around launch and I almost didn't play in this weeks event.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

MERACE wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:
Would you happen to have a link to the posts on TGC Tours explaining the use of the aiming marker for putting?
+1000 on this request
Follow Me on:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

MERACE wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:

-MERACE
Can't be sure I can find them again, so I will try.

Lets start with a downhill putt of 25 feet.

Your HUD indicates the cup is one foot below the ball. What you have to watch sometimes is your distance to pin indicator may say downhill one foot, but if you do not check it, it could be 7" downhill or 16" as it rounds to feet, not inches.

You move the putting indicator to the cup and you find it is 10" below the ball, not 12".

Assuming no break, I would take the putting indicator and move it to 15 feet. What you have to watch for though is that at 15 feet, you may still have downhill slope to account for so the putting indicator may say 15 feet, but it will also likely say 6 or 7 inches downhill. This would end up with a putt going way past the hole still as it is still on a fair amount of slope.

I would adjust the putting indicator to 10 feet with 5 inches of downhill (the indicator will say 10' away at 5" downhill) which equals 15 feet which is what we were shooting for above.

To summarize:

One foot downhill putt of 25' according to your lie indicator on the HUD.

Putting marker at the cup indicates 25 feet away, 10 inches below the ball.

Assuming a straight putt, move the marker back until the sum total of distance and inches downhill add up to 15 feet (25 foot putt minus 10 inches downhill).

If the marker is at 15 feet and you still have 5" of downhill, you need to keep bringing the marker to you until the sum total of distance and amount downhill equals 15.

If the slope of the green PAST the cup continues to be steep, you may consider taking a couple feet more of distance off the marker or hitting your putt lighter to compensate. The end goal in a downhill putt is if you don't make it, you at least have a reasonable chance to make the come backer.

Uphill putts are similar, but you have some room to make adjustments depending on the speed of the green as you can hit those with a bit more speed.

Lastly, this takes practice and lots of touch, but once you make a few and start to gain confidence, the putts aren't so daunting any longer.

Hope this helps.....