HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by 10spro »

fsquid wrote:
vader29 wrote:
fsquid wrote:Whomever made the pins on round 2 at Firestone, f*** YOU!!!!! Man that was frustrating.
Yep, I had 9 bogeys, 1 double bogey and for the first in a long time, if ever in a round no birdies. First hole in one in this game came for me in the third round 5th hole and that felt good after that horrendous second round.
I still need to play rounds 3 and 4, hope it gets a bit easier
The wind dies down a bit but it's still a struggle in the greens.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

yea, couldn't score in round 3 so VAder passes me and I couldn't shoot 6 strokes better than him in Round 4

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I was playing at a local society today at Carolina Shores Classic. Beautiful course, firm fairways and fast greens but was very fair overall. Check it out.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Got tournaments set up to August 16th, it's a bit easier to set up 3 dailys and a 4 day tournament now since the dailys only take up one date instead of two like they did last month, they still end at 4am eastern time the next day but the next daily is able to start right after it.

Complete list of the courses we did and what is upcoming, doing the Montreux G&CC this upcoming weekend since Quail Hollow is not available yet other than the singel pin red tee course. The Jupitor Ridge Redo is from the black tees, created it and checked it twice to be sure this time. :)

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Well done Vader. Good job DSP'ers, keep on playing and contributing towards the society.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:Well done Vader. Good job DSP'ers, keep on playing and contributing towards the society.
Boy was I a party pooper yesterday evening. I was trying to play all three platform tournaments, but had to work the last four days. I was able to get in two rounds each day, the first three days, which left me six round to play last night to finish all three. I rode my bike for 45 minutes, ate dinner, drank a beer, came into the bedroom to change clothes, and never made it out... crashed at 9:00 PM and woke up at 4:14 AM :oops:

Two weeks out of ten, I have to work 12 hour days, Thursday through Sunday. I need to concentrate on finishing one tournament on those weeks :wink: I was only one round away from completing the PS4 Society event at Firestone, after going 67, 78, and 64. I was borderline rage quit in round 2, after I'd double-bogeyed three holes on the front 9, one of which was a 4-putt from 9 feet :x

I only played one round in the XBox One tournament and was +1 or 2, as I recall. It was shaping up to be a nice tournament and I was looking forward to finishing it out... well, prior to losing consciousness last night after one beer :D

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I'd love to see us play a good mountain course of there is one out there.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Only got in 2 rounds this weekend. I played about my best in R2 but still was +4 I think due to frustrating greens.

XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

fsquid wrote:I'd love to see us play a good mountain course of there is one out there.
I set one for Wendy Airey's Bavaro GC tomorrow in the PS4 Society Daily. It's sort of a foothills type course, using the Boreal theme. This is the first of her TGC 1 courses that she's ported over for TGC 2, and it played well for me earlier today. Bavaro plays with soft, medium-fast conditions; I think it makes for a challenging yet playable mix.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

The PS4 and PC Dailies are set at Joe Habiger's Autumn Ridge G.C. This was one of my favorite courses from TGC 1. It looks a lot different in TGC 2 because Joe made the decision to buck the trend with the dark, low-sun angles seen on so many courses. I think he went a bit too far in the other direction, as this one is so bright, I had to cut my brightness setting on my HDTV back to -12, where I normally run it at +2.

To illustrate how this game can vary, I shot a 58 in the PS4 tournament, and then turned around and shot a 73 in the PC tournament, two hours later. I was playing with Dan's ghost and had a four shot lead on him going to the par 5, 15th. I took six shots to get down from 28 yards from the pin to score a quadruple bogey :evil: I wound up missing a 19 footer on the 18th with a lipout, that would have put me a stroke ahead, but Dan's steadiness won out.

I hit some real stinker tee shots, including a muffed sounding, banana slice on one hole. The ball sliced a good 70 yards to the right of my intended landing spot! I'm using my XBox 360 Silver Edition wireless controller on the PC version, and I'm prone to lapse into this type of performance with it, but I love the feel of it for the short game, particularly putting.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'd love to play a round with a ghost or real person. I'm thinking of getting the Xbox version just for that reason.

That was an interesting course and I played one yesterday in the official amateur society that I loved and forgot to favorite it :(
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:That was an interesting course and I played one yesterday in the official amateur society that I loved and forgot to favorite it :(
It will show up in your "My Courses Played" search option, a few hours after you've played it. It should be there now.

I just played the DSP Daily at Wailua GC on the XBox One, and limped in with an 80 :oops: I was 2 over par playing the 13th hole, facing a 12 foot downhill putt for a birdie. I ran it 8 feet by and missed the comebacker for par. I didn't find a hint of a fairway from that point on until the 18th. There was a par 5 where I missed the fairway so bad that I couldn't punch a 4-iron far enough to get back on it. My 4th shot, an 88 yard sand wedge, finally put me on the green, from where I salvaged bogey :oops:

One thing I noticed about this course from the first tee on; it was very heavily planted and the frame rates suffered accordingly. There were times when I could count the green grid beads as the made their way across the screen. I'm gonna give this course a go on the PC to get a frame rate measurement for comparison.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Firestone tournament final results on Xbox One:

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So I went into my profile because I wanted to see how many rounds I had played and of course that is not a stat they keep. However I noticed my lowest round was 72, now I know I shot a 60 one time so I'm wondering if these stats work at all?

It would explain the swing in handicap as they jump a lot.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Played against John's ghost on strawberry fields or whatever it was called. Was interesting we were both -1 after 9 then he rattled off several birdies and I had a hard time with the long par 5's. John was consistently out driving me by 30 yards and was getting to the par 5's in 2 while I didn't sniff them in 5. Even with all of that it was putting that was the difference. You hit some long putts, although I saw you miss a short one :D and I think i ended up shooting 5 worse than you. Was an interesting experience but don't think I'd use it much, rather play with someone live and chat while playing.
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Naples 39 snuck in late and snatched our shared trophy Dan... beating us by one shot! Kudos Napes, that course is sneaky difficult at times. I'm trying to get Joe to make another version with more earthly looking lighting conditions. This is one of my favorite TGC 1 courses, that just doesn't have quite the charm on TGC 2, and I think it's mostly because of the overly bright light conditions.

We've got another conversion of one of my top five TGC 1 courses, Eighteen Holes at Strawberry Plains (the course Dan played my ghost against last night) on tap for tomorrow in both the PC and PS4 Societies. It was the first Delta Theme course that I saw which made extensive use of extended rough areas, which serves to give it a more natural, almost swampland look, effectively turning it into another theme'

This conversion is exceptional and captures the essence of the original TGC 1 version, while cashing in on some of TGC 2's advanced assets, including a wonderful use of the new buildings and houses available in TGC 2.

We've got Pinehurst #2 on schedule for the PC Society today. The CLV has outdone himself with this rendition... it's one you don't want to miss. I played like a dawg in it and embarrassed myself with a quadruple bogey on 15, taking three shots to get out of the greenside bunker and then 3-putting from 20 feet :oops: Still had a lot of fun playing the round though; this might be the best looking version of Pinehurst #2 I've ever seen!

I bettered my PC Society score by 9 strokes in the XBox One Society tournament at Pinehurst, carrying some of my school of hard knocks lessons from that round. I don't think my score will hold up though... I'm anxious to see what you XBoners do with this one :)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:Played against John's ghost on strawberry fields or whatever it was called. Was interesting we were both -1 after 9 then he rattled off several birdies and I had a hard time with the long par 5's. John was consistently out driving me by 30 yards and was getting to the par 5's in 2 while I didn't sniff them in 5. Even with all of that it was putting that was the difference. You hit some long putts, although I saw you miss a short one :D and I think i ended up shooting 5 worse than you. Was an interesting experience but don't think I'd use it much, rather play with someone live and chat while playing.
That was my first time playing Eighteen at Strawberry Plains since it was converted from TGC 1, by its creator, Drivert. It was a sweet homecoming as that course has a special quality to it, and it got enhanced with the new assets of TGC 2. I was pleased with my score, and yes, I did stumble over a couple of short putts, but I made some putts I don't ordinarily make also.

I always play with a ghost in tournament rounds, but I only enable turn-based in final rounds of 72 hole tournaments. There's much less incentive to do that now that the leaderboards tip ghost player's final scores off after the first hole, but I'm holding out hope they'll fix that. They've given no indication that they're working on it though. It's a shame they got that right in TGC 1, yet have dropped the ball in 2... and it's not like they didn't hear about it during the beta either :wink:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

This week's 72 hole tournaments in the PS4 and PC Societies will be at TPC Sawgrass.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

J_Cauthen wrote:Naples 39 snuck in late and snatched our shared trophy Dan... beating us by one shot! Kudos Napes, that course is sneaky difficult at times. I'm trying to get Joe to make another version with more earthly looking lighting conditions. This is one of my favorite TGC 1 courses, that just doesn't have quite the charm on TGC 2, and I think it's mostly because of the overly bright light conditions.
I'm surprised you guys didn't score better. Wasn't really my best round by any means!
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Naples39 wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:Naples 39 snuck in late and snatched our shared trophy Dan... beating us by one shot! Kudos Napes, that course is sneaky difficult at times. I'm trying to get Joe to make another version with more earthly looking lighting conditions. This is one of my favorite TGC 1 courses, that just doesn't have quite the charm on TGC 2, and I think it's mostly because of the overly bright light conditions.
I'm surprised you guys didn't score better. Wasn't really my best round by any means!
Yeah, honestly for me you get a hole or two you don't know and next thing you know it is a bogey or worse. If I had the time I would play a practice round on every one first as I usually do better. For example Strawberry Plains has a few holes that fool you into thinking you can be aggressive and you can't.

Pinehurst I just played the other day and it has green slopes like Firestone but doesn't feel as gimicky. I'll probably do better now that I played it once.
Follow Me on:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It's amazing to me that the game that brought the most of us together since the golden era of online gaming started is a Golf game.

That said...rage quit the XB1 tourney today. F*CK FIRM FAST GREENS. Seriously, this has to stop.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:It's amazing to me that the game that brought the most of us together since the golden era of online gaming started is a Golf game.
Don't know about you all, but I'm pushing 50 and have lost the ability to compete in FPS games, as well as stick-jockey sports games like NHL and Madden. Golf is about all I've got left. :)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

J_Cauthen wrote:I bettered my PC Society score by 9 strokes in the XBox One Society tournament at Pinehurst, carrying some of my school of hard knocks lessons from that round. I don't think my score will hold up though... I'm anxious to see what you XBoners do with this one :)
It's still early but with only three participants finishing the round, I am going to say that your -2 is a great score unless Vader says otherwise. I was facing average winds of 12mph and on certain holes even landing my shots dead centre of the greens meant chipping it from the outside. I knew the greens were fast and Pinehurst is famous for punishing you if you don't land it within 8-10 yards of the pin on certain holes but the stiff firmness of it, was what threw me off.

Finished with a 77 as I just struggled most of the day.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:It's amazing to me that the game that brought the most of us together since the golden era of online gaming started is a Golf game.
Don't know about you all, but I'm pushing 50 and have lost the ability to compete in FPS games, as well as stick-jockey sports games like NHL and Madden. Golf is about all I've got left. :)
Never surrender my friend, we are all almost half a century old and in some cases past it, ahem, just don't tell the DSP Dragons that they're past their prime as we just made it to division 1 (first time ever) after playing the bloody game religiously every weekend for a decade.

But yeah, this game is pretty cool too. 8)

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

Most of my gaming time now is spent playing tabletop sports games. I still play golf and the show. I get Madden and NBA for my boys and Ill play a game or two.

In todays ps4 daily I started out bogey-double bogey-triple bogey. Only two pars on the front for a whopping 45. Brand new controller and it doesn't make a difference. Then on the back I go birdie-birdie-birdie-par-par-par-birdie-birdie-birdie for a 29 of course. 45-29! What the heck is that? And two of those pars were lip out birdies. Hate this freakin game.

Played pinehurst as well. Fantastic but the greens will piss you off. Think I shot 6 over.