HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by RobVarak »

Loved that course. Lipped out birdie puts on each of the first three holes, which led to a brief walk around the house to avoid damaging anything. :D Still a super fun round.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

J_Cauthen wrote:
10spro wrote:As I was saying earlier also , even though I struggled mightily with the short game, all my putts were about 10ft away on average just to break par. Maybe it was my choice of clubs for this particular course but hey no complains here. Love Sawgrass and he did a great job. I know I did +1 before playing here and when I saw your score, I knew it was special.

This is the type of course I would include in my weekend tourneys.
I had a 7 MPH wind coming from about 10 o-clock when I played it, and even though I had perfect/perfect tempo, and was only like two gradients to the left on the swing path, I still came up a few yards short of the green. The 20 to 28 yard shots are the most difficulty for me to decide how to approach. I tried hitting a chip shot with the pitching wedge in this case, as I was 28 yards from the pin. I lofted it up a bit, but then babied it and left it embarrassingly short.

I'm going to set the PC Weekly at friendBOMBER's TPC Sawgrass next week. At this point though, I'm feeling the strongest vibe in the DSP XBox Society... we easily have the strongest turnout there, but I'm still enjoying the PC and PS4 Societies. I'll keep them going as long as I'm not the only one playing them. :wink:
I am out of commission for a week or two.

My X1 Elite controller is not staying on after disconnecting the USB. It will connect with the X1 wireless dongle, then shut down immediately after.

I can play wired, but would rather have the option to play wireless.

Tried all the troubleshooting steps MS recommended and nothing fixed the issue.

Got on Chat last night with MS and they are sending me a complimentary replacement for free even though mine is 2 years old and way out of warranty.

Only downside is I have to send mine back and wait for them to ship the replacement.

At $150 a pop, I think I can wait for the replacement to get here.

Kudos to MS for outstanding customer support.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Add Pinedale to the list of things i hate about New Jersey. I actually think I've played that course if it is based on the course i think it is.

It's a shame we only have 3-5 guys on the PC, I'd like a bigger crowd but don't know I'm up for the WGC Tours.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

DivotMaker wrote:I am out of commission for a week or two.

My X1 Elite controller is not staying on after disconnecting the USB. It will connect with the X1 wireless dongle, then shut down immediately after.

Got on Chat last night with MS and they are sending me a complimentary replacement for free even though mine is 2 years old and way out of warranty.

Only downside is I have to send mine back and wait for them to ship the replacement.

I've had this problem on and off with their Windows Updates. Plus, any time I reboot my computer, it will not stay connected to the dongle, so I've always got to disconnect it and reconnect the dongle, then re-sync the controller. I'm assuming this was all part of their troubleshooting, but I've had the issue you describe intermittently for probably a year.

Almost always right after a Windows Update, too...

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

DivotMaker wrote: I am out of commission for a week or two.

My offer still stands (http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.p ... #msg256804). :wink:

-MERACE

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

MERACE wrote:
DivotMaker wrote: I am out of commission for a week or two.

My offer still stands (http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.p ... #msg256804). :wink:

-MERACE
Thanks Mark.....I actually have two hellacious weeks coming up at work, so I will wait for them to send the replacement.

Shipped it this afternoon and will be there tomorrow on UPS Ground.....$10.....unreal.

Might have the replacement back next week.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TCrouch wrote:

I've had this problem on and off with their Windows Updates. Plus, any time I reboot my computer, it will not stay connected to the dongle, so I've always got to disconnect it and reconnect the dongle, then re-sync the controller. I'm assuming this was all part of their troubleshooting, but I've had the issue you describe intermittently for probably a year.

Hmm, had not thought of that....either way I am getting a new controller for nothing. I'm pleased not having to fork out another $150.....I'm hooked on the Elite. Everything else feels cheap.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I don't think I will be finishing the weekly on the PC. The Firestone greens are crappy to begin with but then throw in firm and fast to the mix and it is unenjoyable.
Follow Me on:

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Danimal wrote:I don't think I will be finishing the weekly on the PC. The Firestone greens are crappy to begin with but then throw in firm and fast to the mix and it is unenjoyable.
We're probably in the same boat. I'm getting tired of chipping through greens and putting off greens in this game. Regarding Firestone, I'm getting around the course just fine, but getting slaughtered around the greens.

If I have the time I'll do some more chipping practice and try to finish the weekly, though.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Honestly it is that course, you won't find a flat putt on it that I can see. I hit a 60 degree wedge into a green it was a 70 yard shot, I hit it 74 yards it spun back and off the green which left me a 22 yard chip on the next shot. It spun back 26 yards.
Follow Me on:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TCrouch wrote:

Just bought a regular X1 wireless controller and it is doing the same freaking thing that my Elite was, so it is the dongle that has gone bad or Windows Update which borked it.....

I swear, MS has screwed up more PC gaming functionality in Win 10 updates, it truly is shocking.

Have the latest update downloaded and ready to restart it. Doubt anything will improve.

Edit....no change.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I resorted to a System Restore a couple of times. Worth a shot. Otherwise, you're corded for a while.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Naples39 wrote: We're probably in the same boat. I'm getting tired of chipping through greens and putting off greens in this game. Regarding Firestone, I'm getting around the course just fine, but getting slaughtered around the greens.
Same. Super frustrating, but I'm still willing to attribute some part of it to my sucktitude. If it keeps up through the balance of my rounds though, I'm burning that course to the ground. :)

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:
Naples39 wrote: We're probably in the same boat. I'm getting tired of chipping through greens and putting off greens in this game. Regarding Firestone, I'm getting around the course just fine, but getting slaughtered around the greens.
Same. Super frustrating, but I'm still willing to attribute some part of it to my sucktitude. If it keeps up through the balance of my rounds though, I'm burning that course to the ground. :)
Same thing I've been bitching about for three years in the Golf Club games. Terrible green physics overall, especially on Hard and Fast greens. That option should be removed from all tourneys forever.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

chipping isn't much of an issue for me it is the 4-6 foot downhill putts on fast greens. You basically need to go an unrealistic amount outside the hole to try and die it in, or you need to be perfect and hit it with pace. If you do either of these wrong you usually end up with a longer putt coming back.

Couple that with the putt going one way past the hole and then the exact same way back up at the hole and the few times a round where my putt is breaking perfectly into the hole and then it flattens out at that last roll and I miss and sometime I feel like the putting model is just completely broken.
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

If I wanted to play on oil slicked glass, I would. But I have no desire to. I say keep the tourneys to courses that don't do hard, fast greens. I'm not trying to replicate my ACTUAL golf game in virtual form (it's virtually nonexistent). Rather, like any other game, I want to suspend a bit of disbelief and have some fun.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

So far shooting par @Firestone feels like a birdie for me. My score has been decided basically so far on the putting greens which we all agree are slick and tough as nails. On top of that add the annoying shadows from the trees and you're break readings are quite limited.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Same thing I've been bitching about for three years in the Golf Club games. Terrible green physics overall, especially on Hard and Fast greens. That option should be removed from all tourneys forever.
Yep. I'll play a couple of holes on those tournaments to see how it is. If I'm on a small downhill putt, and tap it and watch it break 75 or 80 degrees on a mild slope...I'll try another hole or two and see if being more firm with it will help. That will lead to a 22 foot putt back the other way if you miss it.

Once I see that happen, I just throw in the towel. It's no longer golf but trying to decide which wonky set of rules the hard-coded-math will say per green. I don't care about downhill or uphill putts on normal greens, but it's like so many designers decide that they'll make a course hard by using ridiculous pin placements and other idiotic things like ultra-narrow landings in a fairway.

But I can at least deal with the crap about the fairways, as I can just club down and go conservative. When a pin is placed on a f*cking shelf lip, it's just not even worth the effort for me. I'll have quite a few tournaments where I'll play a few holes and then just quit when it doesn't feel like golf to me (instead feeling like I'm fighting the physics).

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

TCrouch wrote: Once I see that happen, I just throw in the towel. It's no longer golf but trying to decide which wonky set of rules the hard-coded-math will say per green.
Probably the best description and what I was trying to say but much better. :D Sometimes I'll look at a putt and the gird line are moving really fast left to right but it barely breaks, then you look at another one and there is literally one line barely moving and it breaks 80 degrees. There is no logic what so ever at times. On anything but fast greens I usually don't get frustrated but Firestone, f*** that course. I think I 4 putted at least 8 greens in 2 round and I know I 5+ putted a few as well.
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I play Firestone very defensively because of the firm fast greens. I've now played three rounds there, two on the PS4 and one on the PC. I went 67, 67, and 68 in those three rounds, but I had to make a bunch of par putts in the 10 to 25 foot range to pull it off. I didn't feel like I played well enough to deserve those scores in any round. The greens are insanely fast, and I dare say faster than they are in real life. This course would be a lot more playable with medium-fast greens.

I agree that the combination of firm/fast greens is often a fatal and unrealistic combo. I can't see using that combination in Society tournaments going forward.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Whomever made the pins on round 2 at Firestone, f*** YOU!!!!! Man that was frustrating.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

fsquid wrote:Whomever made the pins on round 2 at Firestone, f*** YOU!!!!! Man that was frustrating.
Yep, I had 9 bogeys, 1 double bogey and for the first in a long time, if ever in a round no birdies. First hole in one in this game came for me in the third round 5th hole and that felt good after that horrendous second round.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Would it be possible to post a weekly schedule with courses, settings, and start date/times and end date/times for Xbox, PC, and PS4? Also, would it be possible to post completed results to this thread, at least for the 4 round tournaments? Please know that I am not complaining at all. As any participants in my Fozra or Dirt Rally competitions can attest, I am the king of starting something off and then either being delayed, or not posting at all. I would like to participate as much as possible on Xbox and PC, but I keep missing events and/or not completely understanding what the schedule is supposed to be. Again, I greatly appreciate all efforts by all parties to keep this going. I am still shocked in this day and age how little help online developers of console sports games, golf, racing, or otherwise, give us when it comes to being able to see historical results or archives online. It is truly maddening......PS - NFL2K5 had full online browser based league setup and historical stat tracking on the web way back in 2004... just sayin.... :)

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

fsquid wrote:Whomever made the pins on round 2 at Firestone, f*** YOU!!!!! Man that was frustrating.
I rage quit. Haven't done that in YEARS!

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

vader29 wrote:
Yep, I had 9 bogeys, 1 double bogey and for the first in a long time, if ever in a round no birdies. First hole in one in this game came for me in the third round 5th hole and that felt good after that horrendous second round.
I still need to play rounds 3 and 4, hope it gets a bit easier