HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by Teal »

Just search for Oakmont.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Teal wrote:Just search for Oakmont.
^This.

Finally got to play this masterpiece.....shot a 62 on Tour clubs with 3 bogies.....with a bit more wind in the round, it would feel like a US Open.

And if you aren't on the fairway off the tee, sure bogey or worse. Hmmm, kinda like real Golf!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:Despite the online issues, all that, man, this game rocks. It's the first time I've ever felt like I'm playing a serious golf game. Just love the thing.
Agree. Warts and all, it's still a terrific game of golf with a sh*t ton of replay value.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

cfiore
Mario Mendoza

Post by cfiore »

I did and three came up? How do I know which it is? One said Oakmont Country Club the other two were just Oakmont. All were by "TGC Member"

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

cfiore wrote:
I did and three came up? How do I know which it is? One said Oakmont Country Club the other two were just Oakmont. All were by "TGC Member"
Oakmont Country Club is the one you want.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

cfiore
Mario Mendoza

Post by cfiore »

Diablo25 wrote:
cfiore wrote:
Oakmont Country Club is the one you want.
Thank you very much!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

We had a foursome playing Oakmont last night. Going into the 12th hole, I must have had only two miserable solid FIR and even when you think you had a nice drive, a bounce here and there can take you straight into the rough. Putting is an adventure on its own with the slippery slopes and those sandtraps with a big lip staring at you, can be deadlly.

My best score was a +2, and despite its challenges I had fun playing the course.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I created a Society Fund Raiser Daily in both the PS4 and PC DSP societies for Monday's Daily. The Entry fee is 500 VC and 90% of it goes to the Society's bank. This should get us to Level 3, which would give us a chance to keep gradually building the Society's bank with smaller, gradual entry fees. We can then "level up" as we go to keep the current seasons going indefinitely.

I'm hearing that we have to attain 200,000 VC to have a level 10 Society, which has no Event Limit. Our current structure has the Society sanctioning 4 events a week. I think we can manage to build enough to have 4 events a week going forth without shaking down members for exorbitant entry fees.

Meanwhile, it appears that I'm the only one who has played through at least round 2 of the "Hoyt-Clagwell Tractor Open" (10 bonus VCs to the member who can explain the significance of that name :wink: ) on the PS4. We have six members whom I've approved, yet only 4 show up in the member list. I know I tried to play my third round in this tournament yesterday and the busy icon spun for 10 minutes and never loaded in two separate attempts. The PC version is working flawlessly in this regard and has been since launch. If they can get the console versions to load and perform like the PC version, the prevailing attitude about this game would be a lot more positive.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Waiting for Erin Hills 8)

I see Theclv24 is making this course also, so cant wait for this one. Love links courses and at the PGA this year this course looked awesome . especially when the wind got up 8)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I just finished round 2 of the XBox One DSP Society tournament at Yuma with a 61. I had been dragging up the rear in the last few DSP events I'd played after stepping up to Tour clubs and the stock, XBox One controller. Averaging 3 fairways and 6 greens wasn't my idea of fun, so I tried my XBox One Elite controller today with Tour clubs in the second round. A 73 to a 61 tells the story of what a difference it makes... I only brushed the edge of the red shot cone once, and most of my swing path errors were less than line widths off center.

I knew from beta testing that controller performances varied more widely with TGC 2, but I'd never gotten to put that to the test with the console versions. It sort of disappoints me that there's that much difference between the XBox One and Elite controllers, at least my XBox One Forza Edition controller and the Elite, in terms of X-Axis deviation.

I don't use my XBox Elite controller often because the right shoulder button is broken on it. There are certain functions I can't do in some of the non-game menus because of this button being broken. In the game I can get away with using it because I can use the left shoulder button to cycle back through all of the clubs to get the one I want... it's just a bit more of a hassle to use like that.

Anyway, I wanted to be up front with you guys when you saw the radical turn-around in my score... that's what's behind it. Honestly, I'm torn about it now as it almost feels a bit cheesy :?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Daily filler course on the PC was not to my liking in anyway. Consider my vote to not put that in the rotation again.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:Daily filler course on the PC was not to my liking in anyway. Consider my vote to not put that in the rotation again.
I just played my first round there in this tournament. A friend recommended it to me and I actually hadn't played it yet myself. I thought the course was pretty nice, but the lighting and shadows gave me a headache on many of the greens. I felt like I was trying to putt during a Pink Floyd concert the the way the shadows and light were vexing. Yeah, I won't be putting this one on the play list again... at least until I see how the lighting changes affect it in a patch.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Has anyone come across any XBOX societies that are more suited for even handicap players? I'll continue to participate in the DSP Society for sure, but not coming in last is probably going to be my goal for the foreseeable future. :)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Leadfoot5 wrote:Has anyone come across any XBOX societies that are more suited for even handicap players? I'll continue to participate in the DSP Society for sure, but not coming in last is probably going to be my goal for the foreseeable future. :)
I can go back to using my stock XBox One controller and give you a run for your money :)

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I almost caught J_Cauthen in the tourney that ended today. Man I was really stroking it (that's what she said).

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

fsquid wrote:I almost caught J_Cauthen in the tourney that ended today. Man I was really stroking it (that's what she said).
That 65 you had in the final round was stee-rong! If I had known I'd have had to put up a number to withstand it, I'd probably have wilted :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I cannot finish a DSP Society tournament to save my life due to server disconnects. Now 0-for-3 after being disconnected during my first round last night at Yuma.

Pissed, too -- I was -7 through 12 holes! :evil:
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

pk500 wrote:I cannot finish a DSP Society tournament to save my life due to server disconnects. Now 0-for-3 after being disconnected during my first round last night at Yuma.

Pissed, too -- I was -7 through 12 holes! :evil:
When you get disconnected, how long is it before you're able to reconnect, on average? It's happened to me maybe a half dozen times total on the XBox One version, but it will vary from right away to an hour before I'm able to reconnect. OTOH, I've been disconnected once on the PC version, and I was able to get back on right away.

I don't know how they've got their servers divvied up, but it's clear the consoles are not working as well with them as the PC. All of my menu screens come up almost instantly on the PC version, yet they'll take 5 to 10 seconds to load and display on the consoles. Course searches take 3 to 4 times as long on the consoles as well. I'm shocked that they're still having this level of problems with the game two weeks in :?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I was able to update the PS4 DSP Society to Level 2 and the PC Society to Level 3, with yesterday's fund raiser Daily. I was the only one playing in the PS4 version, but 500 was all it took to get to level 2. I"ve got the PS4 Daily for tomorrow set for a fund raising entry fee to get it to level 3, but we're going to need an average of at least 4 entrants in every event to keep it afloat.

Vader, I ran into an obstacle you may have already encountered last night. We had events in progress in both the PS4 and PC societies that had started on the 10th, and were scheduled to end on the 11th at 4:00 AM EDT. The scheduling tool wouldn't let me start today's daily to start "Today" because we already had an event in progress. I created events to start on the 12th, but had to wait until this morning to create an event for today. I'll have to keep that in mind that I need to be greater than 24 hours in advance planning future tournaments.

Today's PS4 and PC DSP Dailies are at the Paragon Golf Club. It has fast greens, with normal firmness, but they are really fast. The pins are playable though, but be careful on downhill putts. I had to make a 17 footer for par this morning after running a 14 foot birdie putt that far past :o

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Amazingly, I played through round 1 with no disconnects at all, but then it took me several attempts to get through round 2, and I gave up a few holes into round 3.

I am really struggling with this game, and not just from the server issues. I fared much better in TGC1. I got the sense that Yuma tournament should have been easy and I was way over par. JC, would you mind posting your preferred settings on Xbox One now that you have been playing it for a couple weeks? Settings with regards to cameras, HUD, options, difficulty, clubs, controller config, etc. I know that it may just take time to work through it, but it just feels off to me and that does not seem to be what everyone else is experiencing. Thanks in advance!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

J_Cauthen wrote:When you get disconnected, how long is it before you're able to reconnect, on average?
Not sure. I always wait around five to 10 minutes, can't reconnect and move to another game.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DChaps wrote:Amazingly, I played through round 1 with no disconnects at all, but then it took me several attempts to get through round 2, and I gave up a few holes into round 3.
It is amazing how the connectivity seems to vary with this game from region to region... I don't have a clue what's up with this, but it's beyond the sort of problems they were having with TGC 1 in this regard.
I am really struggling with this game, and not just from the server issues. I fared much better in TGC1. I got the sense that Yuma tournament should have been easy and I was way over par.
I was in last place after round one of the Yuma tournament, but at that time I was using my stock, Forza Edition XBox One controller. It just seems to be all over the place with TGC 2, as does my other stock XBox One controller. Oddly enough, I can play the game with Player clubs and have a much different experience with these same two controllers!?

I switched to my XBox One Elite controller for round 2, again playing with Tour clubs, and it was like I was playing a different game. I'm much better able to regulate my swing path with the Elite in TGC 2, but I seem to a get a few more tempo miscues. There's a "springiness" in the Elite controller's thumbstick that I feel as it passes over the "at rest" position that throws me a bit of a curve, but I'm adjusting to it over time.
JC, would you mind posting your preferred settings on Xbox One not that you have been playing it for a couple weeks? Settings both from cameras, difficulty, clubs, controller config, etc. I know that it may just take time to work through it, but it just feels off to me and that does not seem to be what everyone else is experiencing. Thanks in advance!
Sure, I turn DOF (Depth of Field), Bloom, Vsync, and Motion Blur OFF, but I turn Antialiasing to FXAA (there's no frame rate hit associated with it on that I can see).

Camera wise, I have the Follow Camera set to "OFF". I then engage the reverse angle landing camera anywhere from 50 to 80% of the way into the ball's flight/travel as follows: if the shot is longer than 50 yards, I press the D-pad "right", and get a higher, more zoomed out look, if the shot is under 50 yards, I'll press the D-pad "left" to get a more zoomed in look, from a lower angle, at whatever point in the travel suits my tastes at the time.

I have both the main and putting cameras set to "3", Approach Camera set to "2", Scout Camera Preset to "Landing Area".

I have the left stick swing set to "On", as I find the higher position of the XBox One and XBox Elite controller's higher on the controller body, left thumbstick more ergonomically suited to my long thumb. I have the swing axis set to "Normal"... where in inside/out swing produces a draw and vice versa. I think the game defaults to normal, but it will screw you up... well, IRL golfers who play the game, if it gets changed to "Inverted".

If I missed any other setting you're curious about, let me know.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The DSP Victory Village tourney greens are absolutely maddening. Threw my 150 dollar controller multiple times. Just unreadable and act completely different than the grid lines would suggest. This game has some serious flaws.

Yet I keep coming back. :D

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

dbdynsty25 wrote:The DSP Victory Village tourney greens are absolutely maddening. Threw my 150 dollar controller multiple times. Just unreadable and act completely different than the grid lines would suggest. This game has some serious flaws.

I think that's what gets me. I get so frustrated sometimes, but much like real golf, I keep coming back when time allows.

My buddy and I have a standard "Friday night Madden" session every week where we play Madden over and over until the early hours of the morning. This past weekend, we fired up The Golf Club for part of it, and in a couch-versus mode, it's surprisingly fun on the same console. You have to really use a lot of "real golf" thoughts. I can't go right at that pin, because I'm never 100% sure on my swing and tempo. I just try to aim for the middle of the green, and I'm getting much better at 2-putting from just about anywhere now.

But those greens where you see an obvious up/downhill break. I try for an uphill putt anytime I can manage. Some of the thoughts that the game gives me that I've never experienced anywhere but on a real course is impressive. I think that's why most of us are still playing it, even with the insane loading times (on console, anyway) and server issues.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

dbdynsty25 wrote:The DSP Victory Village tourney greens are absolutely maddening. Threw my 150 dollar controller multiple times. Just unreadable and act completely different than the grid lines would suggest. This game has some serious flaws.

There IS an issue I mentioned a few days ago where you can be looking at what the grid demonstrates as a flat putt with no break. It always seems to be a R>L break and never the L>R break.

When you miss the putt because it goes by the hole on the left, you get ready for the comebacker and you see the grid showing something very different in that same line you were in on the prior putt. The grid is actually showing the true break.

Here's what I do....If I see a putt that the grid shows no break on, but there is slope all around it, I press the Y button to enable the scout cam, then move the camera around to behind the cup with the swing stick and then get a closeup of the area between my ball and the cup and usually you can get an idea of the break involved, especially getting the camera to ground level. It used to piss me off and I thought about throwing my Elite controller, but I figured out a work around that works. I am hoping they patch this issue with the first patch because I think all versions of the game are seeing this issue.