HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by J_Cauthen »

Pete wrote:I will try to join the PS4 Society tonight.

My name on the PS4 is MRKohlman.

Thanks!
I'll keep an eye out for your request Pete, and glad to have you join us. I'd love to get at least 10 players in each Society... we're already beyond that on the XBox One.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Those of you playing in the Shaliath tournament today, be aware of the fast greens on this course. They can be very unforgiving. There are a few holes where you really need to keep the ball below the hole. Gibbius Maximus and I just hooked up there for the first round in the PC Society tournament, and we had a few three and one four putt between us. I birdied the last three holes to shoot par for the round, and was glad to have it.

This course might tax the PS4 a bit. My PC was in the mid to high 40's most of the time. I'll find out here later for myself. Interesting course, and I've never see a better use of lily pads! :)

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Putting for me in the first DSP PC tourney was a blood bath!

Hit 89% of GIR, but only made 1 of my 16 potential birdie putts, 43 putts overall! Yikes.

Beautiful course though, and enjoying the gamplay. :)
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Naples39 wrote:Putting for me in the first DSP PC tourney was a blood bath!

Hit 89% of GIR, but only made 1 of my 16 potential birdie putts, 43 putts overall! Yikes.

Wow.... you hit 16 GIRs at Shaliath!? I'd say you're the leader in the clubhouse in that category right now. I might have hit 11 :)

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:Finished the PC daily went +10 on the front and -3 on the back. It will be fun playing with this small group but I think I need to also join one of the official handicapped societies when Divot is throwing up -13 rounds :D I'd love to shoot a round under par once in this game.

It seems the official societies aren't really enforced as my cap is like a 9 but I'm able to join the 10-19 one.

I still think I'm doing something wrong on sand and shots from the rough. I've more than my share of shots from the rough that were perfect / perfect and in the red cone that barley go 100 yards. It is just frustrating, while rough should be a penalty it shouldn't be this absurd IMO.
I am likely not going to be able to play in the DSP Society every day, so don't worry, you and others will have plenty of opportunities.

Still would like to hook up one day as soon as the first patch is done as I am hoping they have some MP improvements coming that will allow us to play more easily.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

J_Cauthen wrote:

Wow.... you hit 16 GIRs at Shaliath!? I'd say you're the leader in the clubhouse in that category right now. I might have hit 11 :)
Yeah, that is pretty good.....going to start on Shaliath tonight.....hope you guys enjoy the course as much as JC and I did during Beta....

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I think there is the biggest issue with this game, fast greens on courses with crazy greens. I forget which course I played the other day but I had and uphill put and had to get it within 2 feet of the hole or it rolled back down to me. It happened 5 times before i got it right.

I think course designers in an effort to make challenging greens are making some crazy undulations or aren't paying enough attention to pin placement. I'm also assuming the tourney creator has no choice on green speed and it is baked into the course.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

DivotMaker wrote:
Danimal wrote:Finished the PC daily went +10 on the front and -3 on the back. It will be fun playing with this small group but I think I need to also join one of the official handicapped societies when Divot is throwing up -13 rounds :D I'd love to shoot a round under par once in this game.

It seems the official societies aren't really enforced as my cap is like a 9 but I'm able to join the 10-19 one.

I still think I'm doing something wrong on sand and shots from the rough. I've more than my share of shots from the rough that were perfect / perfect and in the red cone that barley go 100 yards. It is just frustrating, while rough should be a penalty it shouldn't be this absurd IMO.
I am likely not going to be able to play in the DSP Society every day, so don't worry, you and others will have plenty of opportunities.

Still would like to hook up one day as soon as the first patch is done as I am hoping they have some MP improvements coming that will allow us to play more easily.
I'd love to play online with you and JC if possible. Right now I only show one friend in my friends list so I need to figure out how to add you as that person is only showing up because were friend in Steam. My family is going away for a week starting tomorrow so I will have a lot of time to play.
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dan is on to something with unrealistic courses.

I don't play real golf, but I'm the only male in my family who doesn't, so golf talk swirls freely. I watch my share of golf, so I know what real courses look like. So I've always had a thick bullsh*t filter with course designers in TGC 1.

I have no patience or tolerance for courses with bunkers right in the middle of landing zones of fairways. Zero tolerance for greens that look hills and valleys in the Blue Ridge Mountains, with pin placements atop high peaks like the Matterhorn. I cannot stand courses with fairways no wider than a shoestring. I can't stand courses in which every tee is 50 feet below the fairway or every green is 60 feet above or below the fairway. I can't stand courses in which the same parlor trick is used on all 18 holes by the designer.

That's not real golf.

Real golf consists of courses that challenge you but are fair. That's why I tend to stick to the known designers of tough courses, both real and fantasy. All of the courses at TGCTours.com tend to rise into that category, and it's where most of the top designers have gravitated to showcase their work.

There may be more than 100,000 courses in TGC 1, but probably only 1/100th of them are real golf. That leaves 1,000 courses, which is cool by me. I'm sure the same will occur in TGC 2. Again, cool by me. :)
Last edited by pk500 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Okay everyone, I was wrong in my assumption that I couldn't plan future society events... I was forgetting to advance the start date to the desired date in the scheduling tool. Henceforth, you'll see the DSP events start promptly at 4:00 AM EDT, if I'm doing my job correctly :wink:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Operator error!! :lol:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote:Dan is on to something with unrealistic courses.

I don't play real golf, but I'm the only male in my family who doesn't, so golf talk swirls freely. I watch my share of golf, so I know what real courses look like. So I've always had a thick bullsh*t filter with course designers in TGC 1.

I have no patience or tolerance for courses with bunkers right in the middle of landing zones of fairways. Zero tolerance for greens that look hills and valleys in the Blue Ridge Mountains, with pin placements atop high peaks like the Matterhorn. I cannot stand courses with fairways no wider than a shoestring. I can't stand courses in which every tee is 50 feet the fairway or every green is 60 feet above or below the fairway. I can't stand courses in which the same parlor trick is used on all 18 holes by the designer.

That's not real golf.
I played a course in TGC recently and there was a pond in the middle of the fairway. Something I might see on some back ass public course in Wisconsin but not something I would ever play. Pin placement is a challenge in some real life courses I play as well, placing a pin position on a apex of a ridge that require a perfect putt or you have a 5 footer coming back. I played in a tournament 2 weeks ago where the pin on the par 5 7th was in a spot it was impossible to place the ball down without it rolling down the hill, that was in a tournament. You don't see those pin set ups on the PGA Tour and if you did they pro's would b*tch up a storm.

I love challenging layouts and I love tough greens but some of the stuff I am seeing in TGC is just due to bad positioning. I think I've played about 30 courses and have Favorited 3 thus far.
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

TCrouch wrote:Operator error!! :lol:
Yep, and an operator with some serious egg on his face right now! :lol:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:
I think there is the biggest issue with this game, fast greens on courses with crazy greens. I forget which course I played the other day but I had and uphill put and had to get it within 2 feet of the hole or it rolled back down to me. It happened 5 times before i got it right.

I think course designers in an effort to make challenging greens are making some crazy undulations or aren't paying enough attention to pin placement. I'm also assuming the tourney creator has no choice on green speed and it is baked into the course.
No question that some greens are ridiculous as well as some course layouts.

Many of the user created TGC2 courses are TGC1 courses remade in the TGC2 designer. Thousands of TGC1 courses are garbage as PK alludes to above. Thousands will be in this version. JC and I will try to eliminate crap courses for the DSP events. We may not catch them all, but we will certainly try.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

DivotMaker wrote: JC and I will try to eliminate crap courses for the DSP events. We may not catch them all, but we will certainly try.
To be clear the ones I've played so far in the DSP events haven't really been an issue. This is more me playing "hot" courses or some other society events.
Follow Me on:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:
DivotMaker wrote: JC and I will try to eliminate crap courses for the DSP events. We may not catch them all, but we will certainly try.
To be clear the ones I've played so far in the DSP events haven't really been an issue. This is more me playing "hot" courses or some other society events.
Gotcha....

I have found that I like to play the RCR courses (real course creation) and I have a certain set of designers that I will play their courses religiously.

The designers are:

theclv24

RCR:
St. Andrews Links - Old Course
Oakmont
Magnolia National (and Par 3)
Chambers Bay
Merion East
Pinehurst #2

Fictional:
Old Macarthur
Leelanau Bluffs
Ross Society CC
Wildfire Ridge
Doak Valley

In Progress:
Magnolia 2017
Boulder Pointe 2017

tastegw

Arizona Azure
Caramel Creek
Jackfish Jungle
Kiawah Keys
Raging Rooster

CrazyCanuck 85

Reebdoog

Swindon Downs
The Oaks at Westchester
Old Beaver Creek (ADX)
Bison Run
Fogler's Folly
Elmview Golf Club
The Homestead (CrazyCanuck1985)
Escalante Steps
Isla Resaca
Borthwick Bay at MacKinney Highlands
The Rookery
Quarry Creek
Buzzard's Wake
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero (with Staypuft)

Han

Oakmere Golf Club
Rivington Hall Golf Club
Dunholme Manor Golf & CC
The Belfry - The Brabazon
Douro Valley Par 3
Douro Valley Resort
Herons' Reach Golf Links
Valle de los Reyes (Ballesteros Course) - with Scarpacci

DDawg

Russ West / Gary Norman

and anything Arctic Fury does....

Other Designers courses I have played, but not as often:

Antonio Scarpacci

Faxon Park Golf Club (HB Studios Official Course): I'm assuming it's OK to mention this here. If not, let me know and I'll remove from the list ASAP.
Monte Cervino
Scarpacci Wowie
Scarpacci Springs (9 holes)
Bicho de Sete Cabecas
The Berkshires
MacDougal Links
Paragon Park Golf Club
Weymouth Landing
Valle de los Reyes (Ballesteros): Collaboration with Han and pictured at the top of this post.

Mroola

Can't go wrong with the vast majority of these....

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Wow great list, thank you for that.
Follow Me on:

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Round 1 in the books for PS4. Great course. Played a better round after moving back to the right thumbstick.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
Agree. JC and Divot are paragons of good course taste. Seriously, you cats separate the wheat from the chaff very well.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

pk500 wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Agree. JC and Divot are paragons of good course taste. Seriously, you cats separate the wheat from the chaff very well.
Thanks....Golf is my primary gaming genre.....I hate poor courses as much if not more than you cats.

Also be on the lookout for Jupitor Ridge, just released by Arctic Fury.

Haven't played it, but if it is anything like Royal Ethalwind, it would be incredible....

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Thanks for that list Divot, printed it up and will check them all out.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Muchos gracias on the list, Tim!

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Denada!

cfiore
Mario Mendoza

Post by cfiore »

Long time lurker/reader here at DSP, don't post a lot but love the info on games etc. put in my DSP PS4 society request. I can't play a lot but I would much rather the DSP society and support it than some random one.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Am I a nerd on career mode when I start editing the fictitious names and change them to the PGA tour guys? It's cool, it adds a new dimension to your career when you have Dustin Johnson breathing behind you. 8)

Wonder if the edited names can stay in future tournaments.

BTW, congratz to Pigpen on a -9 at Ethalwind. That's untouchable.