HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by Jimmydeicide »

There are definitely some quirky things but its still brilliant.
I didnt expect to play it this much but outside of Fifa clubs its my most played game at the moment , just so easy to pick up and play.

Question about our tour, is the pin placement the same on every round?

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I haven't played the game much lately but I will try the tour. Somebody needs to finish in last place!
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Diablo25 wrote:My only real complaint about the game is the greens not holding. If I hit a 7 iron into a green from the fairway and hit the green - the ball should hold...period. I hate when the ball releases and rolls to the back of the green. I could understand if I was hitting out of the rough or even the first cut but off the fairway? If they fix that then we are talking.
It's the main reason I don't play this game more than I do. Those greens frustrate me to no end.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:Despite your warnings, I felt into the pond like a sucker. Thing is, if you're short you fall into the water and if you club up, you end up in the beach. Add the deceptive curves as you mention and you have a challenging hole there.
Anytime I see a sharp dogleg like that, my first instinct is to plot a way to take a shortcut. I saw a little hole underneath a tall oak tree and thought, I can fit a drive with a slight draw through that hole and reach the green. It worked, I reached the green... and then some. The ball was coming in way too hot to have a prayer at stopping. I wound up playing second shot from the deep gully behind the green. So being as smart as I am (cough), I decided the real answer was to deloft a 5-wood and play it through that same opening. It caught a limb or two and wound up in the creek, and left me with a bad drop. I'm going to play a 5 wood off the tee (a 3-wood is too much, as my bogey from the heavy rough on the opposite side of the dogleg will attest) the next time, but I'm going to play a slight draw off the tee, take my lumps and hit a 9-iron or pitching-wedge to the green.
But the hole that really got me though as I was hitting along Merace was #13. If you don't think good golf management it's going to end up costing you strokes as my game felt apart from this hole on. You think you can reach the second fairway in one before the creek, but as I found out, you either end up in the woods or the water. Better play it safe into the first fairway and then attack the course from there. Either #13 or #14.
I've been lucky there... the wind has been behind my back every time I've played this hole. Even a 5 mph wind is enough to allow you to carry, but I just barely carried with 5 mph and a lofted driver.
I thought the greens were more slippery on the last nine but overall a good challenging course.
They do get tougher on the back, with more slope right around the holes, but not carnival type slopes. If you take your time an account for them, they're doable.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Diablo25 wrote: My only real complaint about the game is the greens not holding. If I hit a 7 iron into a green from the fairway and hit the green - the ball should hold...period. I hate when the ball releases and rolls to the back of the green. I could understand if I was hitting out of the rough or even the first cut but off the fairway? If they fix that then we are talking.
There is a certain combination of firmness (which you can't see unfortunately in the course selection screen) and green speed that yields believable results. I think medium and medium works and soft and medium is even better. I'm still surprised at how poorly the greens hold approach shots with anything from an 8-iron through 3-wood, in most cases though. You're often forced to play run-up shots, but the problem a lot of times is the course isn't really designed for run-up shots.

I do read that this is under evaluation and hopefully we'll see something more realistic in the future.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Jimmydeicide wrote:There are definitely some quirky things but its still brilliant.
Yeah, it's got its quirks, but I think they'll eventually get worked out. I'm impressed with how they've improved the ball and cup physics for lipouts, etc., since release, but there's clearly something funky with approach shots not stopping as quickly on greens as they should. I still have a big problem with the way putts break off the face of the putterface at an angle proportional to the slope. The ball should come off at a 90 degree angle to the putterface and THEN start breaking according to the slope. I find that I have to factor this added break factor to putts, yet still consistently underplay breaks because this just so contrary to what my instincts tell me to do.

Even with these factors in mind, I still enjoy this golf game as much as any I've ever played. I can't imagine how much more I'd get out of it if they iron out these things, work out a more polished pitching interface - especially for pitch shots in the 15 to 30 yard range. Oh, and a fully real time multiplayer interface will completed the picture.
Question about our tour, is the pin placement the same on every round?
The pin placement is the same on every round, unfortunately. The only way to have multiple pin placements is to clone the course, put the pin in a different spot on the green, rename the course and publish it as a distinct course. Just put a Round 1, Round 2, Round 3, and Round 4 suffix on to the end of the course name. However, the problem there would be that you couldn't have a 72 hole tournament on the same course, because the game will treat each course as a "unique" course, even though all that's changed is the pin placement. HBS is working on a solution to this and I expect they'll have one before too much longer.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Jc i was saying a few pages back the same thing about the putting, i still have a hard time playing so much break .
And i feel the wind blows way too hard for the amount shown they should be a 1 before most of the wind mph , its sucks you gotta game the game in these situations instead of what you would think in real life there are others too but the game is a great overall golf experience dont want to harp on it too much.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Finished first tournament at -15......nice course, but too much slope around the pins.....very challenging, but at times seemed a bit too much slope on the pins and playing this course the last 2 rounds at 11-16 MPH winds is almost unplayable.....good luck to the rest of you in this tournament.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Saw that the game is less than a 2 GB download, do the individual courses get downloaded to your hard drive or do you play them in the cloud? Was disappointed that my PC could never get past the start menu screen to try the game out in the beta but watching some of the clips on the friends feed and the DSP tour has me tempted to get this for the Xbox One.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Setting a personal goal of staying within 50% of the score of Hogz, Cauthen and the rest of you animals. I just can't reproduce a good swing consistently enough to rack up a great score, but it sure is fun chasing after those big numbers you guys put up.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RobVarak wrote:Setting a personal goal of staying within 50% of the score of Hogz, Cauthen and the rest of you animals. I just can't reproduce a good swing consistently enough to rack up a great score, but it sure is fun chasing after those big numbers you guys put up.
Rob:

You're my The Golf Club doppleganger. Always seems like I'm closest to your scores in every tournament or ghost round I play. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

vader29 wrote:Saw that the game is less than a 2 GB download, do the individual courses get downloaded to your hard drive or do you play them in the cloud? Was disappointed that my PC could never get past the start menu screen to try the game out in the beta but watching some of the clips on the friends feed and the DSP tour has me tempted to get this for the Xbox One.
I believe they (the courses) are downloaded to the cache...not downloaded and saved to your XB1. Everything is server based (I believe). It only takes like 3-10 seconds to load up a course. I think I explained that correctly :)
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Thanks Diablo.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

pk500 wrote: Rob:

You're my The Golf Club doppleganger. Always seems like I'm closest to your scores in every tournament or ghost round I play. :)
Then let me suggest staying the hell away from that DSP Tour.

That Heathlands course just ripped me apart. Maybe I've just played too many courses with easy greens, but I lost count of the number of 3 (or 4) putts from inside 6' that I racked up. Just two completely awful rounds. Miserable.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

TheTruth wrote:DSP Tour 1 is setup and ready to start play. 5 events at 4 rounds per course = 20 rounds total. You have 30 days to complete. I tried to mix in different course difficulty ratings. Details below for the PS4 crew. Hit'em straight!

DSP Tour 1
1. THE HEATHLANDS GC
2. Pinehurst #2 (2014 U.S. Open)
3. The Oaks at Westchester
4. TPC @ Sahalee
5. Cnocmor Wood GC
I just published the above tour on the PS4. Sorry for the delay.

-MERACE

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

RobVarak wrote:That Heathlands course just ripped me apart. Maybe I've just played too many courses with easy greens, but I lost count of the number of 3 (or 4) putts from inside 6' that I racked up. Just two completely awful rounds. Miserable.
I had a 4-putt green from 14 feet on the 12th, and plenty of 3-putts from inside of 8 feet at the Heathlands. You just have to keep reminding yourself - you can't overplay a break in this game. Calculate what looks like what you think it should be, then force yourself to add 5 to 10% more break to it.

That number 10 hole at The Heathlands strung me up by the cahones. I went bogey, triple-bogey, double-bogey, and bogey there for the four rounds of the tournament. I finished the tournament at +1, and honestly, I didn't feel like I deserved that good of a score. DivotMaker went off an lapped the field on this course 8O A heck of a tournament score Tim!

You think The Heathlands GC has some tricky greens? Wait until you get a load of the knee-knocking four foot putts you'll face at the second venue... Pinehurst #2! :twisted:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

J_Cauthen wrote:
RobVarak wrote:That Heathlands course just ripped me apart. Maybe I've just played too many courses with easy greens, but I lost count of the number of 3 (or 4) putts from inside 6' that I racked up. Just two completely awful rounds. Miserable.
I had a 4-putt green from 14 feet on the 12th, and plenty of 3-putts from inside of 8 feet at the Heathlands. You just have to keep reminding yourself - you can't overplay a break in this game. Calculate what looks like what you think it should be, then force yourself to add 5 to 10% more break to it.

That number 10 hole at The Heathlands strung me up by the cahones. I went bogey, triple-bogey, double-bogey, and bogey there for the four rounds of the tournament. I finished the tournament at +1, and honestly, I didn't feel like I deserved that good of a score. DivotMaker went off an lapped the field on this course 8O A heck of a tournament score Tim!

You think The Heathlands GC has some tricky greens? Wait until you get a load of the knee-knocking four foot putts you'll face at the second venue... Pinehurst #2! :twisted:
Thanks, but that was quite a challenge. Pinehurst #2 I have played before and it is nowhere near as bad IMO....

EDIT: I stand corrected, PH#2 front 9 tore me a new asshole.....

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

How do I join the tour on ps4?

Oh by the way, hgd twelve bridges tour edition is a great course.

I still don't see how a well played iron shot can hit the green and roll through it. I'm a 12 hcp in real life and my iron shots check up all the time. So it goes.
Tony

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

MUTTS wrote:How do I join the tour on ps4?

This video shows you how: http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/06/22/playing-tour/

Make sure after finishing a round that you start your next round and hit at least one shot before quitting. There's a glitch where you sometimes get put back on the previous hole when you return to play again.

-MERACE

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

MERACE wrote:

Make sure after finishing a round that you start your next round and hit at least one shot before quitting. There's a glitch where you sometimes get put back on the previous hole when you return to play again and you can be penalized a stroke as it will take you back to your last stroke played....

-MERACE
Fixed..... :wink:

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

RobVarak wrote:
pk500 wrote: Rob:

Then let me suggest staying the hell away from that DSP Tour.

That Heathlands course just ripped me apart. Maybe I've just played too many courses with easy greens, but I lost count of the number of 3 (or 4) putts from inside 6' that I racked up. Just two completely awful rounds. Miserable.
I left 7, yes 7, putts within inches of the cup in the first two rounds. Very frustrating, but it's still a lot of fun.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

It's fun to read about everyone's Achilles heels with this game.

I'm a pretty good putter. But I have a problem with accuracy with long woods off the tees, and my chipping around the greens is ATROCIOUS. I can't count how many shots I've fluffed from the rough into the fringe instead of on the green.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

pk500 wrote:It's fun to read about everyone's Achilles heels with this game.

I'm a pretty good putter. But I have a problem with accuracy with long woods off the tees, and my chipping around the greens is ATROCIOUS. I can't count how many shots I've fluffed from the rough into the fringe instead of on the green.
Would be glad to hook up with you on XBL sometime and play a round and see if I can help you with those challenges.....it is the subtle things that make all the difference.....Really tied up this week, but this weekend is doable if you are around....and that goes for anyone else who might want to join.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

DivotMaker wrote:
MERACE wrote:

Make sure after finishing a round that you start your next round and hit at least one shot before quitting. There's a glitch where you sometimes get put back on the previous hole when you return to play again and you can be penalized a stroke as it will take you back to your last stroke played....

-MERACE
Fixed..... :wink:
Had no clue about this glitch. I guess I will be crossing my fingers when I go to play my second round at Heathlands.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I havnt had any problems Hogz all my rounds were on separate days.
And if PH2 is harder than the first course then eF you Hogz you masochist.