Digital Sportspage

Talk about sports gaming
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2851 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 115  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:04 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 2544
Location: Rock Hill, SC
I've just been notified by the Senior Producer of HB Studios forthcoming golf game for the PS4 and XBox One will be announced tomorrow. From the information I've picked up thus far, it's sounding like a late Spring release. I just saw this video linked on Operation Sports.... WOW!



This is looking better than I'd ever imagined 8O It's time to get excited about console golf again!! Oh, and I forgot to mention... it will also have a course creation utility. It will be interesting to see if users can create courses that look as good as the courses in this video :idea:


Last edited by J_Cauthen on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:27 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 21007
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
It sure does look pretty. Now if only every player didn't have the absolute slowest club head speeds, it wouldn't be so distracting. Hopefully they speed that up...it's WAY too slow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:18 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:00 am
Posts: 4131
Location: Texas, USA
dbdynsty25 wrote:
It sure does look pretty. Now if only every player didn't have the absolute slowest club head speeds, it wouldn't be so distracting. Hopefully they speed that up...it's WAY too slow.


Not necessarily. If those animations are motion captured, then the swing speed is a result of the user's swing speed with the analog sticks. It did not appear that any of those were AI golfers and were controlled by human input.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:28 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 2544
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Oh, I didn't notice this at first, but this is also for the PC!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:23 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 21007
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
DivotMaker wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
It sure does look pretty. Now if only every player didn't have the absolute slowest club head speeds, it wouldn't be so distracting. Hopefully they speed that up...it's WAY too slow.


Not necessarily. If those animations are motion captured, then the swing speed is a result of the user's swing speed with the analog sticks. It did not appear that any of those were AI golfers and were controlled by human input.


It looks like it's in slow mo. No way a real human swings that slow. Backswing, yes, but their actual swing, no way. They'd hit the ball like 100 yards tops. It's way out of proportion.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:31 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 2544
Location: Rock Hill, SC
dbdynsty25 wrote:
It looks like it's in slow mo. No way a real human swings that slow.


I'll have to post a video of me swinging a golf club; you'll make an exception for me :oops:

On the subject, I wonder if the gameplay we're seeing in the video is on the PC, or one of the consoles? I'd like to know if it's possible to create courses that look that good using the course creator included with the console version!?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:37 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:00 am
Posts: 4131
Location: Texas, USA
dbdynsty25 wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
It sure does look pretty. Now if only every player didn't have the absolute slowest club head speeds, it wouldn't be so distracting. Hopefully they speed that up...it's WAY too slow.


Not necessarily. If those animations are motion captured, then the swing speed is a result of the user's swing speed with the analog sticks. It did not appear that any of those were AI golfers and were controlled by human input.


It looks like it's in slow mo. No way a real human swings that slow. Backswing, yes, but their actual swing, no way. They'd hit the ball like 100 yards tops. It's way out of proportion.


I disagree, but oh well.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:56 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 6022
Location: The Illadelph
Movement of the plays and shadows seem oddly stilted to me, but beggars can't be choosers on golf games. Looks like it could be good. I really just want some well thought out sim gameplay.

The videos showed playstation icons too, so I presume it was PS4 footage.

Also, given the stuff people did with Trials HD course designer on console, gives me faith that console course editors can do impressive things these days.

Supposedly Perfect Golf is still coming out for PC too this winter/spring. So they say. :?

_________________
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:27 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:00 am
Posts: 8415
Location: Pennsylvania
J_Cauthen wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
It looks like it's in slow mo. No way a real human swings that slow.


I'll have to post a video of me swinging a golf club; you'll make an exception for me :oops:

On the subject, I wonder if the gameplay we're seeing in the video is on the PC, or one of the consoles? I'd like to know if it's possible to create courses that look that good using the course creator included with the console version!?


During the video you can see the PS4 icons on the screen so it's PS4 footage.

_________________
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:32 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 2544
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Diablo25 wrote:
During the video you can see the PS4 icons on the screen so it's PS4 footage.

Thanks for spotting that... good catch! That is reassuring to know that the console versions will look that good.

Oh, the game now has its own website: http://thegolfclubgame.com/ I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it looks like lots of info.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:41 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 8647
Location: Naperville, IL
OK, put me in the exuberantly excited category. Looks awesome!
Love the sound of this:

Quote:
ONLINE SHARING AND PLAY

Play others creations - work your way through the huge database of user created courses, each rated by other users to help make the decision easy to make.

Share your courses with the World – when you’re happy with your creations you can publish them for the rest of the world to play.

Play against others live or from the past - each round you play on every course is saved Online. Choose from Friends Rounds, Record Rounds or Rivals Rounds (others players close to your ability) to compete against. Their ghost balls and scores will be visible throughout your round giving you the feeling of competition without losing the instantaneous game play. Ghost and live balls can be hidden if so desired either selectively or en masse.

Compete in Tours and Tournaments – play against other players throughout the world in user made tours and tournaments.

Watch others play the courses you’re on live – through our Echo Ball System you can see other users from around the world on the course that you are playing live, even if they’re on different holes.

_________________
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:42 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:00 am
Posts: 8415
Location: Pennsylvania
Some cool things from the features section at their website...

INSTANTANEOUS GAMEPLAY
No loading times between holes means you are straight back on the Tee after sinking your putt on the previous green. Also, minimal loading times into a new course make for a refreshing change to your typical console game.

UNLIMITED COURSES
No more getting bored of the courses given to you by the developer. With four clicks you can generate a unique course never seen before that’s ready to play.

EDIT AND CREATE YOUR OWN COURSES
If you have a particular course in mind, want to use your creative skills to create something from scratch or edit something the generator has created for you the game also has an in-depth editor.

The editor gives you the ability of create from scratch or mould anything on the course. You can alter the terrain, move tees, move greens, move holes, delete holes, add holes, bunkers, rivers, ponds, trees, foliage, buildings, animals and other objects.

During editing you can play the ball from any spot to review holes and make changes as you see fit. The minimal loading times make this practical and enjoyable.

_________________
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:49 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:00 am
Posts: 8415
Location: Pennsylvania
Lots of info on the website. Man, I am pumped for this. Sounds like there is a basic course generator that makes a course in a few seconds and then there is an advanced course creator :) love it. Man I hope the course creator is on the consoles.

_________________
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:53 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:00 am
Posts: 8415
Location: Pennsylvania
From their website...

The Golf Club will be available on PlayStation 4, PC and Xbox One Spring 2014. Beta Access will begin in late February details of which will be posted shortly.

_________________
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm 
Offline
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:47 pm
Posts: 358
Diablo25 wrote:
Lots of info on the website. Man, I am pumped for this. Sounds like there is a basic course generator that makes a course in a few seconds and then there is an advanced course creator :) love it. Man I hope the course creator is on the consoles.


I've advocated for this type of course creator for years at the EA TW website. I was told repeatedly that it was impractical to create a course on the console using a gamepad.

Manipulating a template or pre-made course is all that was needed. :!:


-MERACE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:04 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:00 am
Posts: 8415
Location: Pennsylvania
MERACE wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:
Lots of info on the website. Man, I am pumped for this. Sounds like there is a basic course generator that makes a course in a few seconds and then there is an advanced course creator :) love it. Man I hope the course creator is on the consoles.


I've advocated for this type of course creator for years at the EA TW website. I was told repeatedly that it was impractical to create a course on the console using a gamepad.

Manipulating a template or pre-made course is all that was needed. :!:


-MERACE


Hell, even if you had to use the course generator on your PC and upload it for use on console I'd be happy. Pumped for more info.

_________________
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:22 pm 
Offline
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:47 pm
Posts: 358
Diablo25 wrote:

Hell, even if you had to use the course generator on your PC and upload it for use on console I'd be happy. Pumped for more info.


Apparently, that may be possible too 8) :

INFINITELY EDITABLE AND SHARABLE

One of the biggest advantages of our course generation and editing system is that we only store the “DNA” of the course, rather than a fully-rendered model of the course. This means that it is a relatively small amount of data that can be easily shared with friends and makes cross-platform course sharing a reality.



-MERACE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:32 pm 
Online
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:00 am
Posts: 5230
Location: Cary, NC
Am I the only one that thinks this all looks too good to be true? I hate to be the pessimist here, but...

The game comes from out of nowhere and is due out in a few months with these graphics and options?!?!?! Hmmmmm...

Not saying it's not real, just will be SHOCKED if it actually plays a great game of golf on top of all these other fancy pants items.

_________________
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:49 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:00 am
Posts: 11542
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Video says it is private, can'r view it

_________________
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:55 pm 
Offline
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:47 pm
Posts: 358
Danimal wrote:
Video says it is private, can'r view it


I was able to view the videos (except the Intro to Course Generator video; said it was removed) before it said "private".

They maybe holding back until the "official" announcement release in the next few days.


-MERACE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:00 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 2544
Location: Rock Hill, SC
MERACE wrote:
I've advocated for this type of course creator for years at the EA TW website. I was told repeatedly that it was impractical to create a course on the console using a gamepad.

Manipulating a template or pre-made course is all that was needed. :!:


Yes sir you have been saying this for years and I recall your being whistled back into your corner. Your dream has become a reality.... it feels good don't it? Now you know how I felt when Precision Putting was introduced in Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 (still the best precision putting implementation of the series, BTW) 8)

Somebody slap me and tell me this isn't a dream... the news of this day is just too good to be true 8O :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:06 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 2544
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Spooky wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks this all looks too good to be true? I hate to be the pessimist here, but...

The game comes from out of nowhere and is due out in a few months with these graphics and options?!?!?! Hmmmmm...

Not saying it's not real, just will be SHOCKED if it actually plays a great game of golf on top of all these other fancy pants items.


Spooky, it didn't really come out of nowhere. Merace alerted me to this back in August of last year, after seeing an HB Studios video on You Tube. The Game Code was doing a feature video on HB Studios and they featured an early look at this game. The video was shot in July, and you could tell that the game was fairly well underway then. Since they're publishing it themselves, I think they sat on the publicity for it until they had all their assets ready for presentation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:09 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 2544
Location: Rock Hill, SC
RobVarak wrote:
OK, put me in the exuberantly excited category. Looks awesome!
Love the sound of this:

Quote:
ONLINE SHARING AND PLAY

Play others creations - work your way through the huge database of user created courses, each rated by other users to help make the decision easy to make.

Share your courses with the World – when you’re happy with your creations you can publish them for the rest of the world to play.

Play against others live or from the past - each round you play on every course is saved Online. Choose from Friends Rounds, Record Rounds or Rivals Rounds (others players close to your ability) to compete against. Their ghost balls and scores will be visible throughout your round giving you the feeling of competition without losing the instantaneous game play. Ghost and live balls can be hidden if so desired either selectively or en masse.

Compete in Tours and Tournaments – play against other players throughout the world in user made tours and tournaments.

Watch others play the courses you’re on live – through our Echo Ball System you can see other users from around the world on the course that you are playing live, even if they’re on different holes.


Please, don't anybody wake me up from this wet dream I'm having! This is all so far above my wildest expectations that it can't be real :o The idea with the saved rounds in the cloud available for play is just over the top! I think these guys could have a mega-hit on their hands. This seems to be so well thought out!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:23 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:00 am
Posts: 4131
Location: Texas, USA
MERACE wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:
Lots of info on the website. Man, I am pumped for this. Sounds like there is a basic course generator that makes a course in a few seconds and then there is an advanced course creator :) love it. Man I hope the course creator is on the consoles.


I've advocated for this type of course creator for years at the EA TW website. I was told repeatedly that it was impractical to create a course on the console using a gamepad.

Manipulating a template or pre-made course is all that was needed. :!:


-MERACE


You were not told it was impossible. You were told what the Tiger Devs told me personally, plus I know full well what it takes to put out a Next Gen, high detail course and nowhere is a game pad even useful trying to build a course of that magnitude. In PC Golf a course creator is a no-brainer and many users have put out incredible courses, many times besting what the game Devs put out. It takes the right tools and interface (mouse / keyboard) to pull this off for PC and console Golf courses up to now.

However, if these guys manage to pull this off WITH a gamepad, then I will be first in line to recognize the achievement and congratulate them. I hope they pull it off and force EA to come out with one as good or better. Anxious to see how the game plays and how challenging it might be because without that, a course creation tool won't mean very much if the gameplay isn't right. I'm pulling for this game to succeed as I haven't played any video Golf in months. This would be great for my new Xbox One....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:00 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 1318
Location: NW Arkansas
Color me impressed! These features sound incredible...cross platform course sharing? Awesome!

But as others have stated, ultimately it will come down to game play, although that video looked pretty good. Can't wait to hear more and possibly get in on the beta test.

_________________
Xbox Live Gamertag: HOGZ TheTruth Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2851 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 115  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Spooky and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group