Farewell to a DSP legend: John the Cat

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Farewell to a DSP legend: John the Cat

Post by pk500 »

Boys:

My beloved cat John, known to many of you with whom I've played Xbox Live, just died in our basement about 10 minutes ago. He was 18 years old.

John was a legend. A 14-pound tomcat who was a ferocious hunter, with a gait and muscles like Secretariat. John easily racked up more than 1,000 kills during his vibrant, wonderful life. There were mornings in the summer where we'd find three dead animals in the yard, all from John. It was fascinating to see him stalk and then nail his prey. He LOVED being outdoors.

But he was the most gentle, warm, kind cat toward people. He always would walk toward anyone near him, with that huge tail -- I called it his Abe Lincoln stovepipe tail -- pointing straight toward the sky in a warm greeting. He would go over and talk to my elderly neighbor all the time, especially after she became a widow.

John was the cat that even cat haters loved. I had numerous people tell me that. He was my constant companion in my home office and around our yard and house since January 1996. He would talk to me when I called his name, as all of you who have heard him on Xbox Live can attest. He purred like a diesel, as most of you who have gamed with me on XBL have heard. He rubbed and buffed my XBL microphone while I was trying to game because he was just so damn faithful and loving.

I never thought I could love an animal this much. He was almost human to me. He had strengths and fears just like a human. I knew there were times he needed me and when he wanted to be alone. He worked (hunted) and played with equal, total vigor.

We've had cats before John. We have another fun kitten now. We will have many cats in the future. But there will never be another one like John for me. I will miss him deeply. But the warm memories and laughs generated by all of his wonderful qualities will prevail.

Thanks for letting me grieve a bit here. Thanks, boys.

Here's a pic of John and me from December 2011. I've always loved this pic. It was him. And it showed just how much he meant to me.

"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Farewell to a DSP legend: John the Cat

Post by XXXIV »

Sorry Paul.

We all who have Live gamed with you know John.

He was/is a DSP legend.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sorry for your loss buddy. He sounds like he had an awesome and fulfilling life around the Kelly household.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

:cry:

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Condolences, Paul. He'll be missed. He might also have the highest ever recorded THC count for a feline. He's a hall of famer.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Rest in peace John. :(
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RobVarak wrote:Condolences, Paul. He'll be missed. He might also have the highest ever recorded THC count for a feline. He's a hall of famer.
The secret to a long life!

LOLOLOLOLOLOL. I needed that. Thank you, pal. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Wishing a quick recovery for you and your family. RIP John.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Wow, so sorry to hear PK. Sounds like you had an unbelievable experience. I can recall you speaking with John several times on XBL before I knew he was a cat :). He was definitely part of the DSP family. Sorry for your loss bro'. I'll tip my 40 for Big John tonight.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

RIP, John. The closest to p***y that most gaming geeks ever get...

Sincere condolences, my friend.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:I can recall you speaking with John several times on XBL before I knew he was a cat :).
:lol: :lol: :lol: Needed that too, man. Thanks.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

When we lost our cat, I was not prepared for how much it wrecked me. We have a dog now and posts like this bring it all back & make me cherish the time I have with that knucklehead on my avatar pic. As a pal told me when I lost our cat: it's simply not fair we out live them. Thanks for sharing & it gets better, but will it always leave a little hurt (which is a great compliment to a great companion).
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

BTW, Paul, you should name the new kid Cheech, Chong, or Bob Marley. Just sayin'.

OR Carl. :D

In all seriousness, I feel your pain...in a way. I've never had a pet for 18 years (that's awesome), but have had to put one down that just adored me. (Yes, it was a dog, but stay with me here...lol). He was never close enough to me, and would tackle me anytime I walked into the back yard. Just a great pup. I HATED the day I had to take him to the vet to be put down, but it had to be done. I still have the dude's collar tag in my truck. It's amazing how much you can miss a pet, and how much they become like family.

Personally, I believe ol' Clive Staples Lewis was on to something when he wrote the Chronicles of Narnia. I believe that animals could once talk, and at least, I KNOW they understand what we say. I'd like to think that one day, when the smoke clears and everything is made new again, our departed pets will be able to finally tell us what they always wanted to say when they'd rub up against our leg, or lick our faces, or cuddle up next to us. And I think that'll be a good day.

Those without pets just won't understand the depth of the mourning. Our fat-ass cat, Raja, has a permanent spot on the kicked-out leg rest of my recliner when I'm watching tv or gaming. That's her spot. And it will feel quite empty when she's gone.

I get it.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

John will always be a DSP LEGEND! Sorry he's gone, PK.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Condolences to the Kelly family.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Sorry to hear, PK. In addition to the pre-passing sympathy I sent on facebook, I add a ton more for you and your family this morning.

Are your kids handling it well?

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Sounds like he had a good run.

Condolences, man.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Sorry to hear Paul. Like others have said he became a legend here in his own right. Sounds like you had 18 incredible years with him.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

My sincere condolences Paul. Isn't it amazing that animals teach us just as much about life than people can teach other humans?

Remember the wonderful times you spent together.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Sorry for your loss.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

Condolences to you and your family. :(

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Diablo25 wrote:Wow, so sorry to hear PK. Sounds like you had an unbelievable experience. I can recall you speaking with John several times on XBL before I knew he was a cat :). He was definitely part of the DSP family. Sorry for your loss bro'. I'll tip my 40 for Big John tonight.
Ditto the above for me, and very sorry for your loss. Very many pets transcend being "just a pet" and become our family members, but the very special ones become even more than that. Glad you were blessed with 18 years together, sorry to hear he's passed :(

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Sounds like he was an awesome cat. My condolences, PK.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

Thoughts and prayers, Paul.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Condolences on your loss PK. I can relate; we had a 19 year old cat who was 3 months away from her 20th birthday four years ago. She had just gone deaf and I didn't see her sleeping under my car as I was backing out. I ran over her and she was instantly killed. It devastated me because I felt totally responsible for what happened. I got to thinking about the fact that she was my daughter's 7 year old birthday present and that she was a living link to my daughter's childhood. It tore me up when it all came together.

I have a Tom cat that I picked up as an abandoned kitten a year later and he is as personable a cat as I've ever owned. He's the one who jumped into my racing cockpit when we were racing a couple of weeks ago, and pulled my headset out of the jack. He took an Africa frog out of our aquarium upstairs a few years back, and brought it downstairs to "play" with... he never harmed it!? It's amazing how much these critters can work their way into your life. Believe me, you'll never forget John the Cat!