Oculus Rift

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by pk500 »

Business casual probably is the norm in Silicon Valley, but I'm not surprised that a dude who shows up for a CNN interview in a wrinkled American Eagle shirt, khakis and flip-flops is the leader of a company that f*cked up a product launch.

Details matter. Sometimes there needs to be a grown-up in the room among the "dork dudes," much like the role Eric Schmidt has played with Page and Brin at Google.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Bungled is right. Palmer is like the team mascot and idea guy, but the head execs were Brendan Iribe and Nate Mitchell. Also big names like John Carmack and Michael Abrash from Valve jumped on board a while ago, so I expected better.

I pre-ordered 6 minutes into the pre-order window back in January. My initial ship date was "March." Then the week before launch I got email said shipping in 1-3 weeks for my order. We're already past those three weeks. Probably looking at an early May shipment now.

All they say is "unexpected component shortage," but if they've haven't gotten through 6 minutes of pre-orders 4.5 months after taking the orders and a month after "launch", some people had to know things were really FUBAR a month or two ago.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

So I finally got my Rift!

I've had it for about a week, but I was out of town for a long weekend last week, and I'm going away for another week in a few days so not much time to play! :(

So far I've mostly just messed around with video shorts and tech demos, basically the ones they showed at trade shows the last year or so.

It's pretty impressive. The image clarity is noticeably bumped up, and the head-tracking is very very good. It's not magic, however, and perfectionists will find flaws.

I'm planning on having friends over for a VR-night soon, to demo it to people. Should be a lot of fun, based on my wife's demo experience today!

I have a LOOONG to-do list of software.
-Elite Dangerous
-Project CARS
-War Thunder
-Dirt Rally (official support incoming!)
-The Climb
-BlazeRush
-Lucky's Tale
-Chronos
-Dolphin VR (GameCube/Wii emulator specifically modded for VR so you can free-look anywhere in games like Zelda, Mario Kart...etc)

And many many more. I think the sweet spot is still cockpit games with physical controls, like racing sims with a FF wheel, or space sims with good sticks (one thing people love about Elite in VR is that the virtual cockpit is specifically designed to be exactly like flight sticks on the market). I have a G27 wheel to use, but I'm moving in 6 weeks so I probably won't even fully set it up until the move and the new man cave I will have.

So much to do.... :D

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Glad you FINALLY got it. Keep us posted!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

So much for keeping us posted!!

I got my Obutto R3volution cockpit put together, but the triple monitor stand doesn't fit my monitors, so it's basically this rig:

But the triple stand only goes to 27", so my monitors wouldn't fit. I wrestled with whether I wanted to drop a bunch of cash into a massive stand, fabricate one, or get new monitors, and in the end, decided that a cockpit like that would really be best with an Oculus Rift, so now I'm just awaiting its arrival.

Did you ever try it with Project Cars, Naples? My real interest is iRacing, PCars, and American Truck Simulator. Basically all of the sim games, naturally.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

TCrouch wrote:So much for keeping us posted!!

I got my Obutto R3volution cockpit put together, but the triple monitor stand doesn't fit my monitors, so it's basically this rig:

But the triple stand only goes to 27", so my monitors wouldn't fit. I wrestled with whether I wanted to drop a bunch of cash into a massive stand, fabricate one, or get new monitors, and in the end, decided that a cockpit like that would really be best with an Oculus Rift, so now I'm just awaiting its arrival.

Did you ever try it with Project Cars, Naples? My real interest is iRacing, PCars, and American Truck Simulator. Basically all of the sim games, naturally.
LOL. I wasn't feeling too much interest here, and with a move this summer I didn't even have my computer and Oculus set up for several weeks.

I did set up my playseat and play an hour or two or Dirt:Rally the last few days. It's definitely a 'holy s***' first impression. First 30-45 seconds on the track my brain was completely convinced my playseat was motorized and I was bouncing the car around. Now I'm simultaneously learning to drive with a wheel instead of controller, with a proper seat and pedals, and in the Rift at the same time, so I can't completely separate one from the other, but it's incredibly compelling and very easy to get completely lost in false reality. Sliding through the mud, rain on the windshield, seeing your co-driver, turning your head to keep eye down the road when car is sideways...pretty sweet. I also need to play with some graphic settings to get the best visual quality while maintaining 90 FPS, so there's still messing to do. You'll still get better visual clarity down the track on 3-monitor setup, but the in-car 'feel' in VR is unique.

I also have American Truck Simulator, Assetto Corsa, and Project CARS sitting in my Steam library waiting for my attention, but I'm just having trouble finding chunks of time to get in knee deep on so many games. I dabbled with Euro Truck Simulator on an Oculus DK2 a few years ago, but it was with a controller and the visual clarity made it nigh impossible to read road signs. The best part was definitely physically turning your head like you're sticking it out the window to back up the truck onto loading dock.

Otherwise, I have a few hours on The Climb and Lucky's Tale each. I like to play Lucky's Tale slowly and check everything out, but after about 20-45 minutes I want to change it up.

The Climb is one of my Oculus favorites at the moment. Again, easy to get completely sucked in. It's supposedly a 'seated' game, but I usually like to play standing up, leaning and craning my neck around. Here's a clip of me playing a few weeks ago when I had no idea I was being filmed... :)

So while I haven't played this as much as I expected, it's mostly a time issue recently. My XBOX hasn't been turned on 2 months, and when I do have time to play I certainly won't be going for that...

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Thanks, man! Hearing that about Dirt Rally makes me happy...very happy.

Does it actually give you 3D depth perception? That, to me, seems like it would make up for the peripheral view and down-the-track clarity.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

TCrouch wrote:Thanks, man! Hearing that about Dirt Rally makes me happy...very happy.

Does it actually give you 3D depth perception? That, to me, seems like it would make up for the peripheral view and down-the-track clarity.
Oh yeah, the 3D depth perception is phenomenal. The feeling of being in the car is completely different than even a top-notch 3-monitor set up (so I've read, but it seems pretty obvious too once you try VR).

Not speaking from experience, but a 3d monitor setup would maintain a distinct advantage in down-the-track visual clarity, as well as provide more peripheral vision of seeing out the side windows from the corner of your eyes. The Rift gives about 110 degree FOV in the headset.

These caveats hold Rift back from being the undisputed best racing sim setup, but for me the choice is easy.

Also, when configuring Rift for individual games, and presuming you have a hefty rig, make sure you use DSR from the game menus or in Oculus debug settings. The internal rift screens are only 1080x1200 for each eye, but actually rendering the graphics at resolutions higher than the standard 1920x1080 gives a significant bump to perceived image quality.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

What is the holy f***!!

I'm so glad I clicked on this thread, where did you get this. I would love something like this for playing my mech and space sims. I still don't get how multiple monitors work, I have 2 connected to my card but can never gets games to use both of them.

Do you play non racing games on this? How is it?

More importantly where do I get one?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

:lol: It's called an Obutto R3volution:

Obutto R3Volution @ Main Performance PC

The only distributor in NA is MainPerformance. They are really fast, though. I ordered mine on a Sunday, it was here on a Thursday using Ground shipping, but they ship from Aurora, WA if I remember correctly.

The rig itself is $789, but then the acrylic tabletops (to use it as something other than a sim rig cockpit) were another $150 I think. The triple stand is another $150, and shipping a 180 pound shipment (for mine with just the rig and the tabletops) was something like $250, so it brought it to a staggering $1200. However, I needed to upgrade my desk and my chair was breaking down, so to replace both of those, I'd easily be looking at $1000 anyway. And for RACING, it's unbeatable. You can move the seat back and forth, recline it, the wheel telescopes and tilts, and it comes with a KB/mouse tray and a shifter mount (another angle):

That kb tray articulates and can move directly in front of your legs if you want to play something else, and it's topped with a mousepad like cover that you apply when you get it. You can do whatever you want with it, really. That's the main reason I was interested in it, because I can play MMO's, action games, sports games, or racing sims/flight sims all from the same cockpit. Mine's a little insane, but here's my iRacing setup in action:

https://i.groupme.com/1280x720.png.da69 ... 2154c66978

So my real time "timing" monitor at the top is the 27" Acer 144Hz G-Sync monitor, and then the triples are spanned.

For your setup, you can't run games across 2 monitors, as it only goes with 3, or 6, or 5...something where you have a "center" view, and then the game has to support it. All of them will support the resolution change (a single screen at 1080 is 1920x1080, so triple screen shows up as 5760x1080 without bezel correction), but if the game doesn't actually support it, it will render it as one large screen, and that means the FOV is unchanged. So while the front screen may have 75 or 90 degrees FOV, the side screens "stretch" really badly. It leads to this weird fisheye look.

But in games that do support it, the side screens have the same FOV, and it's amazing. But with an Nvidia card, you just go into the control panel and say enable surround. Then I have to enable my 4th monitor independently, so it detects the triple as "one" screen, and my top monitor as the "second" screen.

I'll be happy to chat with you about whatever it is you are trying to do, though.
Last edited by TCrouch on Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

This is the best image I could find on how it differs.

Look at iRacing's Triple screen support (specifically mirrors and FOV) and then how Project Cars' effort looks:

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/2496623screens.jpg

Image is way too big, so I linked it instead.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

TCrouch wrote: I'll be happy to chat with you about whatever it is you are trying to do, though.
I'd love to chat some time about this. I see they have a cheaper one, which for a non racing gamer might be better. I just dropped $800 on a board game table so I can't order this right away but I'm looking to replace my desk soon and this might do it.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Last edited by Jimmydeicide on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Terry, I'm with Jimmy...
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

:lol: lol thanks, guys. Yeah, it's pretty fun as-is, but that Oculus Rift is the last piece of the puzzle. When I get it all finalized I will post some bragging pics (naturally), but the depth perception with the Rift is really what I'm looking forward to. I run in an iRacing League with guys who work for Gibbs, Hendricks, and some other real NASCAR dudes, so I'm basically always a backmarker. It's an interesting perspective, being the slowest dude on the track every outing. I can usually do alright just keeping my nose clean and car undamaged, but if I'm gonna suck, I at least want to be immersed in it!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

This thing BLOWS. MY. MIND.

Sure, the resolution drops, but that sense of presence and depth perception is something that cannot be explained without experiencing it. Loading up Project Cars feels like you could reach over and touch the side pod of an open wheeler. I spent some time just staring at the pit crew member in iRacing before leaving the pit stall.

But once you get out on any track, being able to actually judge the corner entry by 3D world positioning is something that is tough to wrap your head around until you try it. I was beating my best lap times with ease in no time, because in something like Dirt Rally, I can now see how QUICKLY the mountain is approaching me, rather than just a flat image that gets bigger. I went from top 2,000 times in Dirt Rally stages on PC to top 50 or 200, from stage to stage (and that's strictly from cockpit).

I could push it so much further, and the manual wipers were awesome for when dust collected on the windshield. I went from struggling to win career races against the early AI to winning by 20 to 30 seconds PER STAGE. I can't even begin to describe what a difference maker something like this is for racing sims. It's almost like the Rift was tailor-made for racing sims.

I also played a few hours of Adr1ft, the game that is basically a VR version of "Gravity" with Sandra Bullock. Again, the sense of presence inside of the EVA suit, where you can see your face shield and the sides of the helmet, is freaky. I also had Subnautica (an underwater survival game), and was catching fish in that. And it definitely has a "swim goggles" appearance to it, as you can see in the periphery that it's a bit of a tunnel vision. But you can turn your head so quickly that it's posed zero issues in my racing, so far. Even compared to triple 40" monitors. It's a bit more realistic, too, as most drivers can't turn their head very far to see, and with the helmet on and fire suit, it's not the best visibility in the world in a race car.

I wasn't sure if this was going to be a fad, or what. But watching videos of somebody looking around in VR doesn't do it justice. The videos looks like a jumpy camera, but when you're in VR, you're looking at an all-inclusive 3D world, so it's staying still, in your vision. And the depth perception you get is unreal. I also never got sick at all or felt dizzy (other than a few times in Adr1ft where I got hit by some floating debris and it was SUPPOSED to make me dizzy), but I've never been a guy who got motion sickness. I think being below decks or stuck in a windowless CIC on a Destroyer for a few years in rough water probably cured me of that, but I haven't felt any issues with it so far.

Looking forward to sinking a ton more time into it, because this thing is the future, as far as my first weekend is concerned. All they can do is increase resolution and get rid of the "shimmery" objects in the distance and you'll forget you're sitting in a chair.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Naples39 wrote:Also, when configuring Rift for individual games, and presuming you have a hefty rig, make sure you use DSR from the game menus or in Oculus debug settings. The internal rift screens are only 1080x1200 for each eye, but actually rendering the graphics at resolutions higher than the standard 1920x1080 gives a significant bump to perceived image quality.
This, I haven't messed with or seen. I've messed with a bunch of settings, but haven't found this one, yet. I've got an aging i7-4960K with 32GB of RAM and a GTX Titan X--so far, I haven't had to turn anything down, but once in a while I'll get a stutter here or there. I have a lot of room to maneuver if I can find out how to increase that image clarity.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

TCrouch wrote:
Naples39 wrote:Also, when configuring Rift for individual games, and presuming you have a hefty rig, make sure you use DSR from the game menus or in Oculus debug settings. The internal rift screens are only 1080x1200 for each eye, but actually rendering the graphics at resolutions higher than the standard 1920x1080 gives a significant bump to perceived image quality.
This, I haven't messed with or seen. I've messed with a bunch of settings, but haven't found this one, yet. I've got an aging i7-4960K with 32GB of RAM and a GTX Titan X--so far, I haven't had to turn anything down, but once in a while I'll get a stutter here or there. I have a lot of room to maneuver if I can find out how to increase that image clarity.
Some games have a setting for super resolution or pixel density (maybe Assetto Corsa?). Most do not, and you have to use the Oculus debug tool in the Oculus SDK from here. Then it's in the tools folder, and you can set the pixels per display override (defaults to 1, could do 1.5, 2...). Once you do this it will apply that settings to ALL Oculus games, unless that game is specifically programmed to ignore it (The Climb is locked to 1, or so I hear).

I think you can just keep going up with it until you notice frame rate drops or there's no further benefit.

I'm so glad to hear that you like it. I love it, but there's a lot of skepticism out there so I don't try to ram it down people's throats.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, and I was sort of iffy about it, myself. But racing titles seemed like a perfect fit, and Project Cars, iRacing, and Dirt Rally all did it....so it was an easy choice. Either that, or buy 3 new monitors and a new triple stand for the Obutto, which was even more expensive.

But I'm glad I chose this one. And I see that Asus now makes a 34" 144Hz G-Sync curved monitor, so I might go with that for my single PC screen.

It'll be interesting to mess with that DSR setting...thanks for that.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

This thing just gets more impressive. I've started dialing in settings and posture, found the "reset HMD" button in all of the sims I use and mapped it to the same button on my box. When you're running with this thing in iRacing or something, you suspend all disbelief and you're "in" the car, not sitting in a chair at home. I've had a few friends over this past week, and every one of them left the house wanting to buy one, and all but one of them were relatively skeptical about it coming in.

That first time you put it on and you're "in" a car, it's magic. It doesn't really stop being magical...you just get used to it. My problem is I got in my REAL car last night and was going way too fast around some windy road corners. My wife is like "wtf?". My brain had gone back to VR mode, and I was just hitting apexes and speeding. That'll take adjusting to.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TCrouch wrote:This thing just gets more impressive. I've started dialing in settings and posture, found the "reset HMD" button in all of the sims I use and mapped it to the same button on my box. When you're running with this thing in iRacing or something, you suspend all disbelief and you're "in" the car, not sitting in a chair at home. I've had a few friends over this past week, and every one of them left the house wanting to buy one, and all but one of them were relatively skeptical about it coming in.

That first time you put it on and you're "in" a car, it's magic. It doesn't really stop being magical...you just get used to it. My problem is I got in my REAL car last night and was going way too fast around some windy road corners. My wife is like "wtf?". My brain had gone back to VR mode, and I was just hitting apexes and speeding. That'll take adjusting to.
LOL...be careful my man!

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I love hearing about another convert! You really have to experience it to fully grasp how's it different. Welcome to the club! :D

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Wow.....This thing is really quite incredible. The box, packaging, the setup process. All very well done. I did not expect to be so floored by the setup and the demo. The first time the sensor scans and then sets up the room, it truly is like all of a sudden you have been transported somewhere else. The alien, standing on top of the building, and the T-Rex, all very immersive. Way more than I expected. I haven't even played a racing sim yet.

I do have some issues. Can't seem to get it to fit right, and no matter what I do, I find myself looking down at the little openings at the bottom of my nose so I turned off the lights in the room. Also, the lens slider seems to do nothing for me. I don't see any difference far left, far right, or middle. I can tell that it is moving the lenses, so I don't think it is broken. Can't wait to try out some racing sims, they are all still downloading. I do notice the screen door effect more than I expected, but I've also mostly been mucking around in the UI games library. My guess is in a racing sim I am not going to notice it so much.

Do you all keep your right plugged in at all times, oh and where do I find this "Reset HMD" you speak of?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

You have a button for Menu on the remote. Then when you pull that up, one of the options is reset default view.

But most games have a reset button built in (iRacing, PCars, etc.)

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

The lens slider under the goggles is for setting the inter-pupillary distance. It's to customize the lens placement for different people because everyone's eyes are different distances apart. In the Oculus menu, I think one of the options on the right brings up a crosshair on the screen. Use that crosshair to adjust the IPD slider so that the crosshair lines are as distinct as possible for you.

Lastly, regarding fit, it works best loosely. Put it on like a baseball cap, with all the weight on the back of your head and the googles practically hanging in front of your eyes instead of pressed against your face like ski goggles. Then move the lenses up and down over your eyes to find the optical sweet spot, but don't forget you can also PITCH the headset downwards and upwards. That can have a significant effect on fine visual quality. Also, the "nose gap" light leaking is pretty much unavoidable. It bothers some more than others. I usually completely forget about it.

Glad you're enjoying it though. It has some tradeoffs, but it can make for some uniquely engrossing experiences.