OT: Medical Issue

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Medical Issue

Post by TCrouch »

I know a little about how hopeless it can feel with a severe diagnosis like that. Obviously I cannot fathom what you guys are going through, but I DO know that hope is all that we can hold onto. With my soon-to-be-13-year-old-boy who starts slamming his forehead into door jams until he knocks himself out, or kneeing himself in the head violently (creating welts on his forehead and giving himself black eyes) during his most severe fits, I've had breakdowns where I just don't know what to do or how we can survive this.

I definitely have zero intention of thread-jacking this or turning it into an "it's all about me!" post--my intention with mentioning it is just that you and I both know how tough we have it through previous conversations.

Hope is all we have to go on. We don't know what's coming tomorrow, or next month, or year. We keep soldiering on because it's all we can do, leaning on those whom we can lean on.

We'll all continue praying for you, brother, and praying for medical miracles/breakthroughs in the near future.

***EDIT*** I am literally in tears reading that blog. Keep your chin up, man. Don't know what else to say :(

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I will continue to pray for you and your family, Steve. Better days must be ahead for such a good dude like you.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Terry,

Very sorry to hear of your difficulties with your son. Hope he has better days than bad. It pales in comparison to my 15 year old son.
It truly puts things in perspective.

Maybe this is just one reason some of us still play video games. It's a welcoming outlet to our daily lives, which at times can be stressful and challenging.

I hope both of your families find peace.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I just read the latest blog and I'm at a loss for words. I'm going to keep praying each day that this all ends for her and your family. :(

You and your wife are amazing people, god bless you and your family.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I'm so sorry. I wish there were words.

Do tell your wife that blog posts are helpful. I hope other parents that go through this kind of pain get a chance to read them. She really demonstrates how to keep hope, even if you both feel like you are running out. Whatever the journey your daughter is on leads to, know that you and your wife are doing a fantastic job. There are many kids with less issues that would kill for parents with the patience and love you have shown.

In the the end, that is all any parent can do. You love and make the best decisions you can, regardless of how poor the choices sometimes are. Through all of your daughter's pain, there is no doubt that she feels that love. And while that may make her feel unworthy, and create a set of issues, it's nothing compared to the alternative. It's easy to feel that it's not enough. Try to remember how much it really is. That is the lifeline of hope you guys keep throwing to her.

My wife and I are always thinking of you.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Just wanted to pop in and thank you all for your kind words, thoughts, and prayers. It means more than I can possibly say. I feel the warmth, the love, and I am so grateful.

As of this post, nothing has changed. She is still in the "observation" area as there are no beds to be found.

The last time she was in the hospital and stayed in the observation area, it ran just over $3,000 a day. We still have a bill with about $6,000 remaining from that one. We will be hitting our annual max for her with this visit, so remaining charges for this visit should be covered fully. I am self employed and am currently paying $1,881 a month for our health insurance. It is almost twice our monthly rent payment.

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Quick update: A bed opened up, and Nadia is now officially "in patient." She spent a week in the Observation Unit prior. We visited her last night, and it was the first time Seth got to see his sister in over a week (only parents allowed in observation).

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Hi guys. Sorry that I have been MIA.

In the last two months, I found out that my job is being phased out. I have been job searching like crazy, and so far only found something that will pay the rent and health insurance (which is now almost $2,500 a month....I could rent two more homes for that price)....can't live on just that. I have had some other interviews (one yesterday), and hopefully I will get something better ASAP. With medical debt eating our savings, unless I get something better, we will most likely be broke by April or May. I feel overwhelmed as I am the provider, and I have to take care of my family.

I don't mean to hijack my own thread, but I am here to report on my daughter's illness. She just spent a week and a half back in the hospital. So that's now 14 hospitalizations in about 4 years or so. Between that and our financial woes (obviously increased by these medical costs), my wife and I are at a breaking point of our own.

I am linking to my wife's blog once again as she explains things much better than I ever could. Hope you are all well, and I sincerely apologize for not being around.

http://hopeinthedarkestdays.blogspot.com/

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Do you really think you need to apologize to us? Holy crap man, you're doing your best for your family...and I wish you the greatest luck in your "better" job search, and also in the treatment of your daughter. I can't even imagine how hard this is for you...just know that we're all here for you if you need to vent or talk.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

I cannot possibly imagine what you are going through.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers to you and your Family.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Do you really think you need to apologize to us?
Exactly.

We are all here for you.

Thoughts and prayers.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Connect with me on LinkedIn. I'm in Raleigh but have a decent amount of Charlotte connections. Might be able to connect you with somebody who is hiring.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/danieljlondon/

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Steve:

No need to apologize for a damn thing. You're a fine man who has all of his priorities straight.

Continued prayers and best wishes for a light at the end of this tunnel. We're all here for you. Always will be.

You're an inspiring man. Seriously. I know everyone else here feels the same, too.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Thanks for keeping in touch. Continuous prayers to your family and the best of luck in finding a new job. I know that it may feel like there's no light at the end of the tunnel at times, but keep your faith up for the sun will shine again.

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Thanks guys for the support...means so much.