OT: Just picked up Saint's Row

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Theo
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

OT: Just picked up Saint's Row

Post by Theo »

I bought it at Target. I will come back later with some impressions.

hellbent
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Re: OT: Just picked up Saint's Row

Post by hellbent »

Theo wrote:I bought it at Target. I will come back later with some impressions.
Cool, look forward to it. Hope it continues the trend of mediocre 360 demos that acutally are pretty nice full-featured titles once the full version drops.

Theo
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Theo »

Very impressive so far. The graphics are very nice, and so far the missions are a lot of fun. Also, the entire city is unlocked from the outset. When you go to the pause menu, EVERYTHING you need to know is there. The developers did a great job of making the game very user friendly. Basically, if you like the GTA series, you need to buy this game.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I wasn't impressed with the demo but I did like it. The impressions I had from the demo were that it was pretty much a GTA clone that did some of the things that annoy me about the GTA series right. I still haven't decided whether or not I'm picking this one up since I love NCAA, Madden, and Dead Rising. If you could, post some multiplayer impressions.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I'm definitely interested in multiplayer impressions as well. Thanks.

SoMisss2000
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by SoMisss2000 »

webdanzer wrote:I'm definitely interested in multiplayer impressions as well. Thanks.
it doesn't appear the servers are up yet as no one has been able to get a game going but IGN does have MP Impressions over there.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I picked this up with no expectations, simply because I am a game whore, but am really impressed. It's like they sat down and made a list of everything that GTA doesn't do well, and set about trying to one-up them. Really good graphics, a highly detailed city that's open from the outset, character customization, a better combat and aiming system, the ability to climb walls, even swim (!), good game physics, and they allow you to restart missions if you fail. I've seen some crazy explosions, cars flying into the air and into the water... and in one case I was in one of them. I know they put swimming into San Andreas, but it felt a little more natural here to crawl out of my sinking car and make my way back to shore. They let you warp to shore if swimming's too slow for you. And the water looks great. Ragdoll physics galore, and the car physics are nice and specific too. I got into a rival gang's car to try and flee, and the car was lodged sideways in a garage, one dar open. As I backed out, the passenger side door caught the wall and broke off perfectly, flying through the air. May seem minor, but it was pretty cool. And I must say, the demo seemed kind of humorless, but the writing is pretty good here, and the game goes back and forth between a more hardcore gang story and urban satire. I was walking back from a mission in the rain and came across someone in a soft drink costume, presumably fresh from publicizing a fast food joint. Totally surreal. Also made my way to the arena and took part in some very enjoyable demolition derbies. All in all it seems like there's a lot to do here.

Tried to get some multiplayer going, but had trouble starting a room. We will have to start a DSP 'gang' when it's up and running.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

This is usually not my kind of game, but I had a really fun time with the demo.

Hearing good impressions makes picking it up with this Target gift card I have very intriguing.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Slumberland wrote:I picked this up with no expectations, simply because I am a game whore, but am really impressed. It's like they sat down and made a list of everything that GTA doesn't do well, and set about trying to one-up them. Really good graphics, a highly detailed city that's open from the outset, character customization, a better combat and aiming system, the ability to climb walls, even swim (!), good game physics, and they allow you to restart missions if you fail. I've seen some crazy explosions, cars flying into the air and into the water... and in one case I was in one of them. I know they put swimming into San Andreas, but it felt a little more natural here to crawl out of my sinking car and make my way back to shore. They let you warp to shore if swimming's too slow for you. And the water looks great. Ragdoll physics galore, and the car physics are nice and specific too. I got into a rival gang's car to try and flee, and the car was lodged sideways in a garage, one dar open. As I backed out, the passenger side door caught the wall and broke off perfectly, flying through the air. May seem minor, but it was pretty cool. And I must say, the demo seemed kind of humorless, but the writing is pretty good here, and the game goes back and forth between a more hardcore gang story and urban satire. I was walking back from a mission in the rain and came across someone in a soft drink costume, presumably fresh from publicizing a fast food joint. Totally surreal. Also made my way to the arena and took part in some very enjoyable demolition derbies. All in all it seems like there's a lot to do here.

Tried to get some multiplayer going, but had trouble starting a room. We will have to start a DSP 'gang' when it's up and running.
Thanks a bunch!! Might pick this one up very soon.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

What does the multiplayer consist of? Is it deathmatch? Are there missions? I really have no clue what it could be without it being a full MMO type of game, which it clearly is not.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Slumberland, I'm curious what your take is on Reeche's comments in the demo about it being borderline racist and insulting. Others commented that the urban setting was just plain wrong, etc. I myself enjoyed the demo, and it seemed just a bit more hardcore than GTA. I wasn't turned off at all by it.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Zeppo wrote:What does the multiplayer consist of? Is it deathmatch? Are there missions? I really have no clue what it could be without it being a full MMO type of game, which it clearly is not.
From Gamepro: (one of the only online reviews ATM)

Inner-City Internet

Then there's the feature every GTA fan has clamored for since GTA III: online multiplayer matches. Saints Row's Xbox Live presentation is a colossal step in the right direction for the genre, with its live-action lobby, imaginative game modes, and an MMO-inspired element that allows you to amass and spend the money you win online.

Standard Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch modes are a given. Big-Ass Chains adds a financial element: you earn money and points by depositing the chains of fallen enemies at drop-off points. These simpler, pick-up-and-play games are great fun, and leagues better than the tacked-on multiplayer modes found in GTA: Liberty City Stories.
The sniper rifle has three levels of zoom, so you'll be well-equipped to make precision shots in multiplayer matches

The sniper rifle has three levels of zoom, so you'll be well-equipped to make precision shots in multiplayer matches

Protect tha Pimp is more interesting because it's basically an urban-infused remake of Counter-strike's V.I.P. game. One team consists of the pimp and his followers, while the other consists of hired hitmen. The hitmen must try to wipe out the pimp; the pimp must make it safely to the exit without being blown to smithereens. This was one of the most suspenseful match types we played, as players each have only one life (ala Counter-strike), and the pimp could take any foe out with a single, devastating "pimp slap" melee attack. Perfect, isn't it?

Blinged-out Ride is also worthy of mention. Two teams compete to build the best car, blasting each other in order to steal cash to pay for the overhaul. Once one team has a big lead (and a blinged-out car), the other team inevitable tried to sabotage their car en route to the mechanic in order the even the odds. It's a fascinating tug-of-war: kind of like Junkyard Wars meets New Jack City.

There's also a two-player cooperative mode, but it's disappointing in size and scope. You can't play through the full single-player campaign with a buddy via Xbox Live. Instead, you're stuck with a collection of simpler mini-missions that, from what we played, seemed routine. Co-op is a fun distraction, but it wont' replace the bread and butter modes.

http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox36 ... 9590.shtml

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

sportdan30 wrote:Slumberland, I'm curious what your take is on Reeche's comments in the demo about it being borderline racist and insulting. Others commented that the urban setting was just plain wrong, etc. I myself enjoyed the demo, and it seemed just a bit more hardcore than GTA. I wasn't turned off at all by it.
Here were reeche's comments:

"Didn't like Saint's Row. I found it to be a complete knock off of GTA (obviously) that didn't bring anything new to the table.

As I side note, this is one of the few games I actually find insulting/borderline racist and if you knew me, you'd know that sort of thing never bothers me.

GTA has a sense of satire and humour about it....This game just feels like an Amos and Andy version of GTA."

As for my feeling? Tough to say. When I played the demo, I got sort of a similar vibe reeche did, especially from that opening cinematic that begins with tagging the wall and ends with some pretty over-the-top gang violence. The further I play, however, I find satire and humor to be a big part of this game as well. There was a very funny and well written cut scene where a latino member of the main gang educates a white member on the redundancy of referring to a rival gang as 'The Los Carnales'. I did a side mission where I had to evade press vans while VIP's were being serviced by prostitutes in the back seat, and the dialogue between the prostitutes and the men was VERY funny, and very different depending on who the customer was. I do think the game tries to have it's cake and eat it too by trying to provide both GTA-style satire as well as a more hardcore ballers-and-bangers experience, but it's working for me so far. I must admit to not liking the writing in any of the GTA games, though. There were some funny character types and situations, but on the whole the cut scenes always seemed a bit sophmoric and lacking in wit to me. I'm actually liking the character dialogue better in SR, and I think the writers might have a better ear than the guys who scripted GTA.

As for racist? Eh, I don't know. Most of the gangs appear to be racially mixed, so it's not like there's some distasteful gang war along racial lines going on in the game. I wouldn't say there's anything that goes beyond the GTA series, at least in how races are depicted... but there's a lot of swearing and some mildly graphic sex talk.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

My feelings of Saints Row are on par with Slumberland's as well. There is something about Grand Theft Auto that really turned me off of that game. Saints Row on the other hand has been quite enjoyable for me. The scripting, the controls, and the whole immersive environment has certainly made this one fun game for me thus far.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Another thing that deserves mention is the navigation system, which those of you wh played the demo will be familiar with. The blinking line that leads you to your destination, coupled with the amazing freeway system they built, makes getting around a real pleasure. I had a good time zipping around on the freeways last night, a hazy downtown in the distance. One cool thing... if you come up behind cars in the fast lane, they will signal and switch to the right. That is, if you're not zooming around them recklessly.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Thanks for the impressions guys, I'm picking this one up tonight if Gamestop has it, although I think it comes out "officially" tomorrow.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Son of a b---h, now I want to take a look at this game.

Theo
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Theo »

Is there any reason to buy weapons when you can pick them up from dead enemies? Also, can you buy ammo? Thanks.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

BASTARDS!!! All of you!

I just picked this up last night as well. After totally blowing this off after 5 minutes of the demo I decided to re-visit it after the impressions here and elsewhere. I played it for about 45 minutes last night at the store before deciding to go ahead and pick it up. I think all the reviews and impressions are spot on. A TOTAL GTA rip off, but a very well one one with some really nice tweaks. This one could prove to be quite a bit of fun and a nice addition to Dead Rising for mindless fn until the big guns come out this holiday season (Gears of War, RS: Vegas, ect..).

More impressions to come after more play time. Thanks for the insight guys. I fel bad I was so down on this right off the bat.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I can't wait to get home tonight and fire this one up!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Little time, but I'm really liking it so far. Back to the game.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I like it, but I really liked all the GTA games as well.

I've only completed the first couple missions, but I think it's about damn time somebody ripped GTA off right. :)

All the other copy cats create total duds.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I picked it up tonight on my way home from work and I really like it. It's a GTA clone that fixes all of the things that bothered me about GTA. The character creation is insane.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

SoMisss2000
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by SoMisss2000 »

i really enjoyed the game last nite despite getting a late start. Yes the gunfights are a lot better than GTA. The targeting system is also better. I got through the reclamation mission. The ONE thing that I love and i'm sure GTA will implement is going to the map and placing the marker on your destination and it shows you how to get there. That's the one thing I've hated about the GTA games. I'd be riding forever trying to get to stuff. I gotta get some cash though. I need some new threads and some bling.

Waddupcouzin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Waddupcouzin »

Hmmm, after reading all the comments to this thread, they sound awfully familiar to the ones I mentioned after playing the demo. Yes, it's a GTA Clone, but the game gets alot of things right, and yes, it's fun.