Seriously? No RIP Maggie Thatcher yet?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Seriously? No RIP Maggie Thatcher yet?

Post by F308GTB »

She was such an iconic figure as I was growing up. Hell, she even had a lookalike in a Frankie Goes to Hollywood video. I'm a red blooded 'merican but always liked her. She and Reagan stood strong together in the tearing down of the Iron Curtain. RIP Maggie and go say hello to Dutch.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Seriously? No RIP Maggie Thatcher yet?

Post by DChaps »

I never realized how much she was hated in her own country until I had some friends in college from Liverpool. She was definitely a polarizing figure as most major politicians seem to be. Unless the person was a ruthless dictator, it always seems sad to me to see people celebrating someone's death in the streets.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

http://www.isthatcherdeadyet.co.uk/

Today, the site was updated.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

WoW.... :? .....Its not like she plays for the bruins.

RIP Maggie.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I hate idiots. Rest in Peace, Margaret. And thank you.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Don't want to offend the thought police. And any comment I make about Mrs. Thatcher, or more specifically her addle-brained detractors, would almost certainly be well outside the boundaries of acceptable DSP discourse. :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

RobVarak wrote:...or more specifically her addle-brained detractors, would almost certainly be well outside the boundaries of acceptable DSP discourse. :)
:lol:

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

In all seriousness, Andrew Sullivan penned my favorite brief tribute of the day.

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/04/ ... liberator/

It also functions as a useful primer on how the leftist "feminist" cabal always trashes women of independent or conservative mindset.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

RobVarak wrote:her addle-brained detractors
That's a common long-term effect of getting a truncheon to the head.

The funny thing about growing up in the 80s is that she felt like the queen rather than the PM. Her personality so overwhelmed everyone else's in British politics, and she was around so long that it was easy to forget she was elected rather than born into the position. She was dedicated and fearless in her leadership, willing to bear public political assault for goals she felt were necessary to move the country forward. There are few elected officials in the last 100 years who were willing to risk their political necks for a greater good.

It seems pretty clear she left Britain in much better shape than she found it -- not for everybody, but certainly for the majority. Her methods are really where the battle lines get drawn, and I think it's hard to say who is right or wrong. Sometimes you need a big stick to make big changes, but at the same time, it's impossible not be resentful when you're the one getting smacked.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

If ever there was a society that needed a decade of truncheons to the head, it was last 70's Britain. :)

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

RobVarak wrote:If ever there was a society that needed a decade of truncheons to the head, it was last 70's Britain. :)
It certainly was a disaster when she took over, and as much as I love so much of the British music that came out of that period and would kill to have seen some of those bands live, there is no question I would much rather have lived in Britain in 1987 than 1977.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

RIP threads should be apolitical anyway.

I was looking for some threads about PS3 games when I first got one and using the search button was not helping much. I wanted to avoid the wrath of DB so I didn't start a new thread but simply scrolled through the pages until I found what i needed. I was struck by the number of RIP threads - some for people I had actually forgotten had died. I started feeling melancholy after a while - so many people gone.... it was like watching one of those end-of-the-year news shows that does a bit on the people who died over the last 12 months - but in this case it stretched back years. A lot of great stuff has been written on this board over the years and not all of it was about sports gaming.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Best thing about Maggie was she won me a fancy dress competition at the local. Great night. My roomate joined me with a Reagan mask , i hit Kmart for a cheap dress and tights with my mask... good times.
"ive come to doo some work in your area, im shutting down your local factory"

RIP Maggie.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I just read that Morrissey sent his condolences. :lol: