NCAA 14

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NCAA 14

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Pete wrote:I have skipped the last few years so I think I am going to pick this up.

Has anyone played the PS3 version? I heard it was inferior to the XBox version but not sure how.

Thanks.
Most EA Sports games are inferior. Usually it's graphics and framerates.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I have to admit...this game is legit FINALLY on this gen. The physics engine alone is worth the price of admission (as I said before), but the game just feels a lot more organic than it has previously. I started up a game w/ Minnesota vs. Colorado St. knowing that I'll just do my normal "first day NCAA thing" where I just keep switching teams and venues. An hour later, I'm locked in a battle down 7 in the 4th quarter with CSU driving on me. I just could not quit the game at all. I just got so emotionally vested in the game I had to let it play out. I ended up winning the game in one of the best football games I think I've ever played. No fluky turnovers or anything like that...and good clock management by the AI which was shocking in and of itself. So yeah...I'm glad I picked the game up and it's going to be a blast this season.
That's what I like to hear! Going to set aside some time this weekend to get going with a Mizzou dynasty.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Whew! Just won an OT game against Washington State. With 1:26 left in the game and no timeouts, they got the punt and drove nearly 80 yards to score with about 12 seconds left to tie. VERY smart ball movement and time management by the CPU. I stopped them on the 3 yard line on 3rd and short to force the FG, then got the ball, and rumbled in from 2 yards out, after being hit twice in the backfield, stumbling, weaving, then finally jamming up on the right stick to lunge into the end zone. VERY satisfying win.

Very satisfying game.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Pete wrote:I have skipped the last few years so I think I am going to pick this up.

Has anyone played the PS3 version? I heard it was inferior to the XBox version but not sure how.

Thanks.
I would stay far away from the PS3 version if you have a choice. I played the PS3 early release version for a couple days and was not impressed, but the retail version on the 360 is a lot more enjoyable based on some first impressions this evening. The graphics are a lot sharper, there is no hesitation on the play selections, and the entire experience is a lot smoother and as a result it is easier to appreciate the improved physics. I should have just picked up the season ticket on the Xbox knowing that the EA games are better, but in the summer after dark my Xbox turns into a Minecraft machine.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Leebo33 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:

Thanks.
I would stay far away from the PS3 version if you have a choice. I played the PS3 early release version for a couple days and was not impressed, but the retail version on the 360 is a lot more enjoyable based on some first impressions this evening. The graphics are a lot sharper, there is no hesitation on the play selections, and the entire experience is a lot smoother and as a result it is easier to appreciate the improved physics. I should have just picked up the season ticket on the Xbox knowing that the EA games are better, but in the summer after dark my Xbox turns into a Minecraft machine.

I 2nd this. I was able to get the 360 version for free so I decided to go ahead and purchase it for the PS3 to play with friends on that system. I cannot believe how much the difference is in between the two when compared to framerate and overall performance. Not to mention there's just more pop in visuals on the 360.
GT = Wilk5280

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Game is $10 off right now on amazon. May want to wait for the $20 saving which will probably happen next week.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Finally tried Ultimate Team and it's really fun.

I got the Bo Jackson and Barry Sanders cards from the demo thing.

Really fun mode with all the old great college players. And they made a good offline mode for offline players.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah, good times tonight. Nice bug.

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

Getting NCAA14 soon from Gamestop. Why GS you say. well, after a $25 gift card and a $20 online credit they gave me after complaining for f**king up the Gods Among Us 9.99 deal weeks ago, I'm only paying $15.

Plus after the online credit wouldn't work, I also got free overnight shipping after having to call them to straighten the S&&& up. If it wasn't for GS screwing up stuff, probably wouldn't be shopping with them. :twisted:

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Late game CPU AI clock management is so broken in this game that it could be a game killer to some. I dont know what to do, 2 games I won on the cpu not calling the right timeouts at the end of the game. Should I use one of my timeouts for them?

It's amazing how in NCAA 11 and 12 this was working but now in 14 it is not. It wasn't even this bad in madden last year. How do you have it working for the most part in previous years but it just is broken in this version?

Anyhow I am enjoying the game. I had Mich State get to the Big 10 Champ game but lost to OSU in a shootout. It's hard for me to play defense in this game against top ranked teams. That is a good thing as in years past, seemed like the ranking of teams didn't matter as the CPU offense was always weak.

And enjoying season mode. I dont do that dynasty stuff and I like to use different teams. After my MSU season is up, I'll start over with another team in another conference.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Inuyasha wrote:Late game CPU AI clock management is so broken in this game that it could be a game killer to some. I dont know what to do, 2 games I won on the cpu not calling the right timeouts at the end of the game. Should I use one of my timeouts for them?

It's amazing how in NCAA 11 and 12 this was working but now in 14 it is not. It wasn't even this bad in madden last year. How do you have it working for the most part in previous years but it just is broken in this version?

Anyhow I am enjoying the game. I had Mich State get to the Big 10 Champ game but lost to OSU in a shootout. It's hard for me to play defense in this game against top ranked teams. That is a good thing as in years past, seemed like the ranking of teams didn't matter as the CPU offense was always weak.

And enjoying season mode. I dont do that dynasty stuff and I like to use different teams. After my MSU season is up, I'll start over with another team in another conference.

Haven't seen anything like what you describe. In fact, I've been quite impressed with the late game AI and clock management.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

One game in, dynasty with Mizzou. Defaults, AP, 8 minute quarters. I always let the CPU do the recruiting and I tell them what I'm looking for.

Played FCS East in our first game and crushed them 55-7 like we should. Toledo next week should be more of a challenge.

LOVE the new physics tackling, it finally looks like football! A bunch of new presentation stuff, chanting MIZ-ZOU, field is finally accurate, stats popping up more often, etc.. fantastic job in that department!

Even though I cruised through this game, passing and running are excellent. OL blocking is so much better and running feels spot on. Passing is also great, especially with DGB to throw too.

Bama lost to VT, so right off the bat this should be an interesting season. OSU is now #1 heading into week 2. Also, NC beat SC.

Loving it so far though...

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I'm 5-0 with Penn State on AA with 8 min periods and slider adjustments but it hasn't been easy even though the schedule is light. Every game has been realistic. I jumped out to a 17-0 half time lead on Syracuse but held on to survive. I had one blowout and a couple other 2 score wins. I avoided disaster against Central Florida when my Freshman QB threw 3 interceptions, one for a pick six, with a comeback that was sparked by a long kickoff return after a score. I've also played around 10 games outside of the season and they have all been realistic as well. I haven't seen any deal-breaking clock management or AI issues so far. I'm really looking forward to getting into the meat of my schedule with back to back games against ranked teams including a trip to #2 OSU. I didn't get the 360 version of the game until Thursday night so that is a lot of playing for me because I usually only game a few hours a week if that anymore. This game really has me hooked. Nothing at all seems scripted. I really didn't play much outside of "Play Now" games last season so I'm enjoying the presentation elements like the scroll and studio updates. I also find the stats and scores interesting and realistic enough to just spend some time looking over other Big Ten and national games. My main complaints in this generation have been unrealistic stats, poor AI, lack of CPU running game, money passes, unrealistic physics, etc. and most of those complaints have been addressed to a reasonable degree. I'm really looking forward to see what they've done with Madden, especially with next gen as the graphics whore in me is certainly tiring with the pedestrian graphics.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I'm loving it. AA default with 8 minute quarters. Just feels like football for once. Maybe being banned from OS is making me like this more.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

Just curious for those who have the game. Do they have the playoff system built in or is it still the BCS system even after the first season.

Rick

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Big games feel big this year. All my rivalry games felt intense. Also the Conference Champ games feel the same way.

It took me a while to like this, but now I really am liking it. I think you have to play at least 6-8 games to really notice what's under the hood this year. The bad CPU AI Clock Management issues are the only issue I'm seeing with the game that bugs me.

Maybe it was good to take a year off from the series. I so enjoy this game that I'm even thinking about scrapping NCAA 11.

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

Anyone else having XBOX freezing issues? I played one ultimate team game and one exhibition. Three times the game froze on me while loading from team select to gameplay. I have a 320GB Slim and no freezing with other games. Using pastapadre's roster.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

bulls23 wrote:Anyone else having XBOX freezing issues? I played one ultimate team game and one exhibition. Three times the game froze on me while loading from team select to gameplay. I have a 320GB Slim and no freezing with other games. Using pastapadre's roster.
No issues here. The only EA game that freezes on me is TW.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

bulls23 wrote:Anyone else having XBOX freezing issues? I played one ultimate team game and one exhibition. Three times the game froze on me while loading from team select to gameplay. I have a 320GB Slim and no freezing with other games. Using pastapadre's roster.

I had multiple freezes with this game when I got it the first day or two playing exhibition games. But it happened when I was playing my 3rd game in a row. So maybe it's my Xbox but I've never had any other game freeze on me.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:

Yeah, good times tonight. Nice bug.
I've now seen this bug twice. It happens at the worst damn time too. WTF.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

NCAA will not renew EA Sports contract

The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA’s name and logo. We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.

The NCAA has never licensed the use of current student-athlete names, images or likenesses to EA. The NCAA has no involvement in licenses between EA and former student-athletes. Member colleges and universities license their own trademarks and other intellectual property for the video game. They will have to independently decide whether to continue those business arrangements in the future.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... s+contract
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Holy crap. Guess I gotta keep Tiger Woods 14 and NCAA 14 forever now. Kinda like my NCAA hoops game and All-Pro football. Keep the classics.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

vader29 wrote:NCAA will not renew EA Sports contract

The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA’s name and logo. We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.

The NCAA has never licensed the use of current student-athlete names, images or likenesses to EA. The NCAA has no involvement in licenses between EA and former student-athletes. Member colleges and universities license their own trademarks and other intellectual property for the video game. They will have to independently decide whether to continue those business arrangements in the future.

That could wind up being good news, really. Just create a "college football" game, and make it completely editable. Stadiums, unis, players, teams, schedules, etc, then expand roster share into "everything" share. No limitations from the NCAA on anything. Sure, it'd be a little more work, but it would have EA focusing more on the game of football, and less on the bells and whistles. Just thinking out loud...

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Stems from the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit? What's the guy doing now, flipping burgers and looking for a big pay day. Ruining it for everyone else!

How hard would it be for EA to make a new game with approvals from every college?

If 14 is the last NCAA FB game, can EA maybe put in a patch to include playoff mode?

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Inuyasha wrote:

Stems from the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit? What's the guy doing now, flipping burgers and looking for a big pay day. Ruining it for everyone else!

How hard would it be for EA to make a new game with approvals from every college?

If 14 is the last NCAA FB game, can EA maybe put in a patch to include playoff mode?
Actually, I've been reading a little, and the NCAA license has nothing to do with the individual college licenses; they grant license themselves. So, it couldn't be called NCAA Football, just College Football or something else. So if it's true that you just won't have any of the NCAA stuff, that in itself isn't a huge deal.

But the doof and his little lawsuit are still idiotic.