NCAA 14

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NCAA 14

Post by Danimal »

Well unlike others I will point out what is improved.

- Much better line play not only in blocking but in pass rush. There is actually a pocket being set and if you like playing a DL like I do you can actually make a difference
- LB get off of blocks better.
- Tackles are much more realistic and the physics engine seems a lot more refined. Nerfing the hit stick was a good move.
- The amount of moves and cuts you can make with a ball carrier are impressive. The running game feels natural to me.
- A lot better WR catch variety and sideline awareness.
- Special teams play is improved.
- The toned down the total control passing so you can't lead a WR anywhere.
- Whomever added the special team button to the play call screen is my hero.
- Individual difficulty settings is a plus.

What's still not good

- Penalties are still non existent and tuning the slider makes certain ones called way too often. Amazing they can't fix this.
- QB's are way too accurate at default slider levels.
- Still no chance of missing a Field goal wide. Why they just don't make this a percentage chance and take any stick movement out of it is beyond me.
- Wish there was a custom camera angle.
- The WR / DB battle for the ball is still lacking
- Fatigue is still not as big of an issue as it should be.
- The injury system is still not up to where head coaches was like 5 years ago.

I think people saying it offers nothing new are reaching a little. The game is the most refined it has been in a long time. Yes it still has issues but it's much better than last year just with the addition of the line play alone. To play this game and say the line play is the same as always would discount me from taking that persons opinion seriously. Maybe it depends how much you like football as to whether you see the differences.

Is it worth the upgrade if you got last year, for me it is.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Danimal wrote:So I'm not that good of a player. 5 games on Heisman, 5 wins.

I'm a little concerned because I like the way the game plays but man I want to think I can lose once in a while
In contrast, I feel I am a decent player and I haven't won a game yet...on All-American. lol

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The game really feels like more of the same from a presentation and gameplay standpoint, but the physics improvements alone make it worth the upgrade I think. It really is fantastic how they improve that each year.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Badgun wrote:
Danimal wrote:So I'm not that good of a player. 5 games on Heisman, 5 wins.

I'm a little concerned because I like the way the game plays but man I want to think I can lose once in a while
In contrast, I feel I am a decent player and I haven't won a game yet...on All-American. lol
I've been having similar results on the ST version. The AI seems more aggressive. I was down to Notre Dame 21-18 with 5 minutes left and ended up losing 42-18 and it wasn't pick 6's. They stopped me and drove down the field on me. I was pleasantly surprised.
Follow Me on:

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

It feels like a solidly good game. If you like the NCAA series, then you will like the game.

I think the Read Option might need to be toned down. It can be defended, but way too often it is an easy 8-12 yard scamper by average QB's. If you have a scramble guy, he's going to score a lot of long TD's. I'd just opt out if you play some random using A&M.

I have not messed with strategic options, like "contain QB," so that may help if you are facing a guy running a lot. But if you don't have a guy staying home outside, the play just sucks the entire defense out of position. I know that's the point, but I think it works to well right now. I might consider it nearly a money play on 3rd and 6.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I'm 0-5 against the cpu playing on All-American level. Had a couple of stinkers and a couple of good games. Played this opening season game with Pitt hosting Florida State and almost pulled off an upset if not for a couple of bad interceptions.

High scoring game playing as Penn State against Syracuse.

Last edited by vader29 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'm 2-2 with Michigan. I just lost to UConn on the road. I was up 15-14 with under 2 minutes left. They marched into my territory and with 32 seconds left UConn had 4th and inches from my 45. They came out in the I formation so I stuffed the line sending everyone and the AI ran a pass and hit the HB out in the flat. I tackled him at the 12 yard line and UConn calls a time out with 12 seconds left. They had one time out left so what do they do?

They come out run a hb off tackle left to put the ball in the middle of the filed. Call their final timeout with 6 seconds left and kick the game winning field goal.

Have the fixed the AI logic or was this just a fluke? I'm seriously impressed with the AI in this game they are working me hard.
Follow Me on:

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I still see questionable clock management by the cpu, had a game where I was down by 3 points with a minute left in the game and no time outs left, the cpu did a quarterback kneel on first down and then all they had to do was kneel once more but instead with 30 seconds left they handed it off for a run to the left where it could have ended up as a possible fumble.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Glad it's difficult.. should be interesting playing with Mizzou this time around.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

Danimal wrote:I'm 2-2 with Michigan. I just lost to UConn on the road. I was up 15-14 with under 2 minutes left. They marched into my territory and with 32 seconds left UConn had 4th and inches from my 45. They came out in the I formation so I stuffed the line sending everyone and the AI ran a pass and hit the HB out in the flat. I tackled him at the 12 yard line and UConn calls a time out with 12 seconds left. They had one time out left so what do they do?

They come out run a hb off tackle left to put the ball in the middle of the filed. Call their final timeout with 6 seconds left and kick the game winning field goal. .
Go UConn! :D
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

There was some question about The TRU deal, but it was legit. Just picked up the game and got a $25 gift card.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

anyone want to trade a pac12 code for an SEC code?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Against my better judgement, I picked up the game after work. I have yet to play, but the TRU deal along with the ability to play a season (without all the behind the scenes crap) was the deciding factor.

Looking forward to taking the Jayhawks to a 4-8 season! :lol:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

The running game is BUTTAH. Love it.

The shovel option is also quite nice. The new physics system is considerably better and more polished than in Madden 13.

I also love the training mode. I have a confession to make: I've been playing video game football since the Intellivision, and it's historically been the reason I've bought game systems. (True, I've become somewhat of a military shooter haw, but I digress...) That being said, I know next to nothing about the x's and o's of football. I get the very basics, and understand offense more than defense, but even at that...the more gaming evolves and becomes more intricate, I'm finding that I just can't keep up with you guys on here. I don't play on AA or Heisman or whatever, because I have a helluva time winning on the default levels. Terry can attest to how inept I can be at reading offenses AND defenses...lol.

But this is a great game of football.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So far my favorite aspect of this game is every one has been different. I see plays that make me go wow and its been a long time for an EA game to do that. I still think the penalty and sliders in general are a joke. It has to be that they are unfixable at this point. If M25 next gen comes out and penalties still don't work I'll be miffed.
Follow Me on:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I usually don't tinker with sliders at all but I definitely have to adjust the penalties one as well as the kickoffs. On my online dynasty I only witnessed a roughing the passer call. Overall the gameplay is fun, but for a college game the presentation does needs a better atmosphere.

One thing I noticed in my games is that the CPU QB seem to be able to spring quite easily at times while the gap closes rather fast when I try to run with my QB. They've also advertised about the new fatigue factor in players but I haven't seen much difference.

Experiencing some lag during the play call screen making me chose the wrong play at times which has caused me some unwanted TO's.

The recruiting mode seems pretty deep and interesting.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

If you use custom stadium sounds, there's a weird little drop-out pause (maybe half a second) before your custom sound will play. It's never been there before, and it's jarring. Enough people are complaining about it at OS that I'm sure it'll be patched soon, but FYI if you enjoy putting your own sounds in.

On another note, I have downloaded rosters from someone called "KillerDragon114" at OS. They seem legit, but if so, that's a shitload of work for only a few days. Anyway, if you need them, you can put in his name, or just download them from my GT.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Thanks.. I had that same GT name written down. :)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

It's necessary to at least adjust the speed threshold down from 50 or else you get stuff like you see in Vader's video a DE running back a fumble 90 yards. I have mine set at 30 and fast guys are fast
Follow Me on:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

♦Xbox 360: Pastapadre
♦PlayStation 3: JeffDLowe

Rosters

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

So pasta has his rosters done?

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Teal wrote:So pasta has his rosters done?
Either him or from someone else. :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I have to admit...this game is legit FINALLY on this gen. The physics engine alone is worth the price of admission (as I said before), but the game just feels a lot more organic than it has previously. I started up a game w/ Minnesota vs. Colorado St. knowing that I'll just do my normal "first day NCAA thing" where I just keep switching teams and venues. An hour later, I'm locked in a battle down 7 in the 4th quarter with CSU driving on me. I just could not quit the game at all. I just got so emotionally vested in the game I had to let it play out. I ended up winning the game in one of the best football games I think I've ever played. No fluky turnovers or anything like that...and good clock management by the AI which was shocking in and of itself. So yeah...I'm glad I picked the game up and it's going to be a blast this season.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I too am enjoying the few games that I have played thus far. A few gathering notes so far...

- Defense is tough! I'm having a heck of a time stopping anyone, especially those teams that run the no huddle offense.
- The Nike training mode is very well set up and really helped me understand the controls.
- The bass drums that play during the gameplay at times is quite annoying. NCAA 14 didn't necessarily nail down a great atmospheric presentation, but they sure do love the bands.
- Does the CPU ever elect to receive the kick when then win the coin toss?
- Something has to be done in the next gen about special teams. Kick offs and punts are boring. Exciting run backs are pretty much non existent.
- Running the ball in this game is awesome. The speed burst is very subtle though and timing it takes practice. Love the juke moves.
- QBs are a bit too accurate in my opinion.
- Really like how the CPU attacks this year. They run the option extremely well, often times faking me out big time. And the backs can run the ball equally as effective.
- Love the stat overlays for both teams players.
- Graphically, the game looks good, but gotta think they have to really step it up for next gen. It's time for a much better looking college football game!

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

I have skipped the last few years so I think I am going to pick this up.

Has anyone played the PS3 version? I heard it was inferior to the XBox version but not sure how.

Thanks.