NCAA 14

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NCAA 14

Post by 10spro »

Teal wrote:
vader29 wrote:NCAA will not renew EA Sports contract

The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA’s name and logo. We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.

The NCAA has never licensed the use of current student-athlete names, images or likenesses to EA. The NCAA has no involvement in licenses between EA and former student-athletes. Member colleges and universities license their own trademarks and other intellectual property for the video game. They will have to independently decide whether to continue those business arrangements in the future.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... s+contract
That could wind up being good news, really. Just create a "college football" game, and make it completely editable. Stadiums, unis, players, teams, schedules, etc, then expand roster share into "everything" share. No limitations from the NCAA on anything. Sure, it'd be a little more work, but it would have EA focusing more on the game of football, and less on the bells and whistles. Just thinking out loud...
http://www.ea.com/news/update-on-ea-spo ... e-football

Maybe you're on to something.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Man it would be nice to see College Football 2K14. 8)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:That could wind up being good news, really. Just create a "college football" game, and make it completely editable. Stadiums, unis, players, teams, schedules, etc, then expand roster share into "everything" share. No limitations from the NCAA on anything. Sure, it'd be a little more work, but it would have EA focusing more on the game of football, and less on the bells and whistles. Just thinking out loud...
When is the last time EA has released a team sports game without official licensing? Before Monica blew Slick Willie?
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

some funny responses about this on the net :

EA Quote : " Our relationship with the Collegiate Licensing Company is strong and we are already working on a new game for next generation consoles which will launch next year and feature the college teams, leagues and all the innovation fans expect from EA Sports."

"...all the innovation fans expect from EA Sports"
Is he takin' a piss in my pocket and tellin' me it's rainin'?

----------------

EA Sports College Football 15 : New Features : SEC Conference
EA Sports College Football 16 : New Features : Big 10 Conference
EA Sports College Football 17 : New Features : Pac 12 Conference

and on and on and on.......

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

pk500 wrote:
Teal wrote:That could wind up being good news, really. Just create a "college football" game, and make it completely editable. Stadiums, unis, players, teams, schedules, etc, then expand roster share into "everything" share. No limitations from the NCAA on anything. Sure, it'd be a little more work, but it would have EA focusing more on the game of football, and less on the bells and whistles. Just thinking out loud...
When is the last time EA has released a team sports game without official licensing? Before Monica blew Slick Willie?
Moot, considering that the loss of the NCAA license looks to only mean the loss of the ability to keep the name of the game the same, and you won't have the little NCAA stickers on the helmets, or the little paintjobs on the field. Not exactly a huge loss.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Or EA could just keep this game going via DLC in the form of updates, etc...

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Would the license loss affect things like the names for the bowl games and trophies? Will the best player in EA's game win the Theismann Award? :D

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Brando70 wrote:Would the license loss affect things like the names for the bowl games and trophies? Will the best player in EA's game win the Theismann Award? :D
You could be in luck Brando. I just read an ESPN article where other than the name NCAA will be eliminate. If the Bowl Games require the NCAA logo then yeah, poof. But stadium and player names are the rights of each individual school. It's another reason why it was a smart move for both parties to walk away. The article mentioned lawsuits by players naming the NCAA and EA. This shouldn't be an issue anymore.

I'll see if I can find the article and post it.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ideo-games

"EA Sports will continue to develop and publish college football games, but we will no longer include the NCAA names and marks," said EA executive vice president Andrew Wilson. "Our relationship with the Collegiate Licensing Co. is strong and we are already working on a new game for next generation consoles which will launch next year and feature the college teams, conferences and all the innovation fans expect from EA Sports."

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Maybe they'll utilize Teambuilder more. Even in the current game, you can find any team out there with the teambuilder downloads.

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

Inuyasha wrote:
bulls23 wrote:Anyone else having XBOX freezing issues? I played one ultimate team game and one exhibition. Three times the game froze on me while loading from team select to gameplay. I have a 320GB Slim and no freezing with other games. Using pastapadre's roster.

I had multiple freezes with this game when I got it the first day or two playing exhibition games. But it happened when I was playing my 3rd game in a row. So maybe it's my Xbox but I've never had any other game freeze on me.
Thing I got it squared away. Someone at OS reported freezing when loading because PC Media Sharing was turned on. I turned that off on the PC and no more freezing.
Teal wrote:That could wind up being good news, really. Just create a "college football" game, and make it completely editable. Stadiums, unis, players, teams, schedules, etc, then expand roster share into "everything" share. No limitations from the NCAA on anything. Sure, it'd be a little more work, but it would have EA focusing more on the game of football, and less on the bells and whistles. Just thinking out loud
Yes, could be good without NCAA interference. I'd like for them to add back suspensions, academic probation, pay for play and other shady stuff, etc. :twisted:

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

EA extends (non-exclusive) deal with CLC for 3 more years.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/19/ea-ho ... es-for-th/
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I just finished an 8-4 regular season with Penn State in season mode. It was fun and all of the games were believable. My losses were at OSU, at Wisconsin, at Minnesota, and at home to Nebraska. It was great because every game was different. I almost upset Ohio State but lost 28-34 and was stopped in the red zone driving late. I had a totally unexpected blowout loss at Minnesota where I was plagued by turnovers. I shutout Purdue 38-0. I had a fun game in the snow losing to Nebraska 10-6. The Top 25 rankings, stats, and bowl matchups all appear to be reasonable. The BCS was once again put into chaos when an undefeated Ohio State lost in OT to Michigan State and the battle of undefeated teams ALA and FLA left 1 undefeated team and 1 loss FLA, Ohio State, and A&M. The game picked 2 loss Michigan State for the BCS title game I guess at the highest ranked conference champion.

There was so much to like about the season. I really liked the inherent hot/cold streaks within each game. I had a DE in one game break the NCAA record for sacks with 8, but he only had 7 in the other 11 games. There was another game where Kyle Carter was unstoppable at TE, but yet his season stats ended up pretty reasonable. I liked that there is a tangible difference between playing at home and on the road. I liked that the AI was pretty darn good about mixing things up and on defense I really felt like it was as close to a chess match as I've ever experienced against a CPU. In over 12 hours of play time I can count the questionable clock management on one hand and it's not like I am not screaming at real coaches for poor management. There are two plays out of the hundreds all season that appeared scripted and those were a couple of my interceptions thrown right to a defender but that may have been a function of having QB accuracy at 10. As far as presentation, it was good enough and since the gameplay was so good I actually preferred the minimalist approach.

The only real glaring negative that I saw is a lack of fumbles by running backs. QBs will fumble enough, there are some (but probably not enough) fumbles on returns and receivers in the open field, but I never once in an entire season saw a RB fumble except for one botched handoff on a draw that saw a defender bust through. I did try to adjust my coaching settings, but it just seemed to make my defense a lot worse against the running game and only made QB fumbles more frequent. I hope they can fix that without breaking anything else.

I won't bore you guys with more details as I play through another season with another team and then probably pick a team for a dynasty, but just wanted to share that with a decent sample size of an entire season in the books I had a great time and enjoyed this more than any football game I've played before. I don't try to "break" games by searching for AI exploits or money plays and 75% of the time I probably use one of the plays that show up as one of the coach picks, but I didn't find myself having to limit myself either. About the time that I thought a dive play was money for 1 yard I would get stuffed just enough to mix things up.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Leebo33 wrote:
I won't bore you guys with more details as I play through another season with another team and then probably pick a team for a dynasty, but just wanted to share that with a decent sample size of an entire season in the books I had a great time and enjoyed this more than any football game I've played before. I don't try to "break" games by searching for AI exploits or money plays and 75% of the time I probably use one of the plays that show up as one of the coach picks, but I didn't find myself having to limit myself either. About the time that I thought a dive play was money for 1 yard I would get stuffed just enough to mix things up.
Thanks for taking the time to post your impressions of the game and I agree with you in my limited time playing (I'm just getting started in my season with Notre Dame).

I especially agree with your bolded comments in the above quote. I think more people would enjoy their video games more if they took your approach.

-MERACE

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Just playing a game in season mode, and something incredibly annoying happened. Anyone else have a game that is running well, but all of a sudden starts running at about half the frame rate? It's very, very jarring. First time I've really seen it. Worse, it's stayed that way ever since it started.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Ouch....never had any problem with the frame rate...but as a 5X RROD Xbox 360 owner I can tell you stuff like that is never a good sign.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Teal wrote:Just playing a game in season mode, and something incredibly annoying happened. Anyone else have a game that is running well, but all of a sudden starts running at about half the frame rate? It's very, very jarring. First time I've really seen it. Worse, it's stayed that way ever since it started.
Teal try installing it on the hard drive to see if it's a disc problem. You could also clear the disc cache which would delete the patch.

@Leebo33: On the older 360's that was a possible symptom but MS pretty much eliminated the RROD with the newer 360's.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A couple of minor gripes. While uploading your Dynasty, it takes awhile during heavy traffic.

I have yet to see the other team receive the ball during the coin toss, not to mention their reluctancy to return the ball.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of teams choose to defer if the win the coin toss.

And once they moved changed the starting line of scrimmage on touchback to the 25, it makes less sense to take the chance on running kicks out of the endzone. It was supposed to, and has, reduce the number of returns in order to avoid chances of concussions.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Uniform Pack #1 now out. 20 school uni's now updated. btw it's free.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Rodster wrote:Man it would be nice to see College Football 2K14. 8)
I'd much prefer College Hoops 2K14!!! Oooh how I miss that series.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Just picked this up, and if you can believe it, it is my first purchased NCAA football title for this generation of consoles. The options are over-whelming, but so far it seems like a great overall package. My 10 year old son and I are wanting to do a co-op season as UGA (on the same console, not Xbox Live). Any tips on the best way to approach this from a settings, options, difficulty standpoint? Are there 3rd party roster updates that will add real names and players to the teams and can be used in a season (not online)? Sorry to be asking what I assume are dumb questions, but it has been so long since I have played an EA NCAA game that it makes me feel old and feeble minded. :) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

DChaps:

Go to the Team Management screen and go to Roster Share and then enter the gamer tag pastapadre - he's got all of the real names in there.

Not sure about your other question. Do you both want to play as Georgia in separate seasons? If so, you just save the file to two different names and then you can both play a Georgia season.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

dbdynsty25 wrote:DChaps:

Go to the Team Management screen and go to Roster Share and then enter the gamer tag pastapadre - he's got all of the real names in there.

Not sure about your other question. Do you both want to play as Georgia in separate seasons? If so, you just save the file to two different names and then you can both play a Georgia season.
Thanks for the quick response db. Cool, good to know on how to play separate seasons at the same time, but we plan to play the season together both on UGA. Can you be dedicated players on both offense and defense (ie, not changing), or is that a dumb way to play co-op? For example, on offense I am Murray and he is Gurley. Probably just need to get in there and start playing around with it more so that I have some idea of what I am talking about.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Pretty sure you can both be on the field at the same time. Not sure tho...never attempted it.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Well, the Ninth Circus and the out-of-work-but-I-wanna-get-paid-anyway crowd have caused another reactionary domino to fall:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/14/sec-b ... -football/

The good news is that 150 college teams have signed on to future games. The question is, how long will that last? My guess is as long as it takes another gold-digger to glom on to this idiotic suit.