MLB 2013 Season Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 2013 Season Thread

Post by dbdynsty25 »

LAking wrote:I find it funny that a fan of the Suns, Braves, and Dolphins would criticize LA for having lousy fans.
Not quite sure where I said the teams I follow have good fans? Nothing frustrates me more than the horrible fans of my teams. It's sad really.

I can criticize because I live in LA...I see it first hand every game I go to for any of the teams. The Kings are about the only team that has good fans near as I can tell, regardless of their talent level. Everyone else hops on and off the bandwagon, or just wants to be SEEN at games. It's mainly because the city is mostly transplants, so that definitely hurts. Don't get so offended bro...I wasn't talking about the ten die hards in the city. Obviously there are some...just seems like you are in the minority.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
LAking wrote:I find it funny that a fan of the Suns, Braves, and Dolphins would criticize LA for having lousy fans.
Not quite sure where I said the teams I follow have good fans? Nothing frustrates me more than the horrible fans of my teams. It's sad really.

I can criticize because I live in LA...I see it first hand every game I go to for any of the teams. The Kings are about the only team that has good fans near as I can tell, regardless of their talent level. Everyone else hops on and off the bandwagon, or just wants to be SEEN at games. It's mainly because the city is mostly transplants, so that definitely hurts. Don't get so offended bro...I wasn't talking about the ten die hards in the city. Obviously there are some...just seems like you are in the minority.
You tell me not to get offended then you make another comment like that. It's just such a tired cliche to call LA fans bandwagoners and I get sick of it. I will defend my home and my fellow fans.

There are people who obviously go to Laker games and sometimes Dodger games to be seen. There will always be a handful of "industry" people at big sporting events. That doesn't mean the rest of the fan base are lousy fans. The amount of cars with flags or stickers on them is hardly a sign of bandwagon fans. It happens in every city when a team is in the playoffs.

I'm a third generation Angeleno. There are millions of people who were born and raised in LA just like me. Naturally, i grew up with other LA natives. I can assure you there are tons of die hard Laker fans in LA. I was in high school during the Laker lean years (relatively speaking) of the mid to late 90's. Most of my friends talked Lakers nearly every day of the season. When it wasn't basketball season they talked Dodgers.

Even today most of my co-workers talk LA sports on a daily basis. Lakers, Dodgers, USC, UCLA, even some loyal Raider fans if you can believe it.

No matter how great a team's fans are you will see attendance and excitement rise and fall based on the team's performance. It's not being a bandwagon, it's being human. LA is no different than just about any other city.

Rant done.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

Congratulations to the Pirates on a great season. They played with class and gave the Cardinals all they wanted. I hope they can continue to contend for years to come.

Our playoff experience and some timely hits along with amazing rookie pitching put us ahead. The Dodgers will be a tough opponent and I see this one going seven. Still think home field advantage will be the difference in a Cardinals World Series trip. Wacha will probably come back to earth but at home can match Grienke in Game 1. I'm glad Kemp is out and Ethier is limited but nevertheless LA lineup is loaded. Dodger pitching though I feel is a two man show, and the Cardinals can win any game Kershaw and Grienke don't pitch.

Get ready for a grind to the Series!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

bulls23 wrote:Dodger pitching though I feel is a two man show, and the Cardinals can win any game Kershaw and Grienke don't pitch.
The only problem is that is only 3 games. You need to win 4 (obviously). Don't see the Dodgers losing. A short series, a few breaks, sure, but not a 7 gamer IMO. If Gonzo and Ramirez hit anything like they did in the Braves series...good luck. I hope the Cardinals win...as I hate nearly every Dodger (and their stupid gestures after a 15 hop base hit up the middle)...so you just gotta hope that Kershaw/Grienke have a few off games.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

bulls23 wrote:Congratulations to the Pirates on a great season. They played with class and gave the Cardinals all they wanted. I hope they can continue to contend for years to come.

Our playoff experience and some timely hits along with amazing rookie pitching put us ahead. The Dodgers will be a tough opponent and I see this one going seven. Still think home field advantage will be the difference in a Cardinals World Series trip. Wacha will probably come back to earth but at home can match Grienke in Game 1. I'm glad Kemp is out and Ethier is limited but nevertheless LA lineup is loaded. Dodger pitching though I feel is a two man show, and the Cardinals can win any game Kershaw and Grienke don't pitch.

Get ready for a grind to the Series!
I wouldn't call the Dodgers pitching a two man show. Ryu may have had a bad game in the NLDS but he's been a rock all season long. He'll no doubt have a better game next time out. Nolasco is a question mark. He was amazing in his first 10 starts or so but all of a sudden fell apart at the end of the season. I still think he has some good outings in him but we'll see. It's going to be a tough series.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'll be happy if the series goes seven games, because I think that's the only way the Cardinals win the series, with Wainwright pitching the final game. They certainly won't win in a sweep, and to think the Dodgers will only win one or two games is ludicrous.

With that said, the Cardinals are very familar with Grienke, so it will be interesting if they can get to him tonight. They've made him look very average before, and also made him look like Cy Young too. The bats have been silent for too long, and the Cards amazing average with RISP has to come alive in this series.

It all starts with Matt Carpenter, and he needs to step it up!

Obviously, the pitching match up favors the Dodgers in the first two games. If the Cards go down 2-0 in the series, it's pretty much over IMO.

As well as Adams has played, I'd still love to have Craig in the lineup. Unfortunately, he's injured and probably wouldn't play in the W.S. either. Still would love to have him on the bench as a right handed power hitter.

It'll be neat to see Skippy Schu and Big Mac on the other side, and I'm sure we'll hear ad nauseum about them throughout the series.

Game 1 tonight! Can't wait!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

As much as I dislike both the Yankees and Bosox, you gotta give credit to J. Farrell who apparently couldn't coach in Toronto. Here's a team that was supposed to be in transition, finish second last in the toughest division in the league, miss the playoffs and here they are. They beat a strong Rays team (wished this series was best out of 7) and are about to face a very solid Tigers team.

Wow, that Verlander pitched a gem last night in enemy field.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Ramirez and Ethier are out. The series is over. Injuries have dictated this entire Dodgers season.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

LAking wrote:Ramirez and Ethier are out. The series is over. Injuries have dictated this entire Dodgers season.
There ya go being a typical LA fan. Lose two games...on the road mind you, and all of the sudden the sky is falling and it is over. Ethier has been a shell of himself all year so who cares about him...but yes Ramirez will hurt tho they can still win it. Everyone has injuries but good teams don't make excuses. Execute and home and you got a shot. Keep your head up...you've got Ryu and Nolasco to bring it at home. Err maybe not.

The Dodgers were screwed either way if the Cardinals continue to pitch that way. Goodness. But have a little faith. Come on now.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
LAking wrote:Ramirez and Ethier are out. The series is over. Injuries have dictated this entire Dodgers season.
There ya go being a typical LA fan. Lose two games...on the road mind you, and all of the sudden the sky is falling and it is over. Ethier has been a shell of himself all year so who cares about him...but yes Ramirez will hurt tho they can still win it. Everyone has injuries but good teams don't make excuses. Execute and home and you got a shot. Keep your head up...you've got Ryu and Nolasco to bring it at home. Err maybe not.

The Dodgers were screwed either way if the Cardinals continue to pitch that way. Goodness. But have a little faith. Come on now.
Oh, so being a good fan means being delusional, naive, and never being negative? I give up DB. You're the the best sports fan in the greater LA area. I bow to you. Maybe LA can improve by following your lead in the future. Will you show us the way?

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

A pair of 1-0 games today , simply amazing. I picked the Cards to the series despite what I thought the Dodgers having more talent. Don't know what it is but they got that "it" factor other teams don't seem to have. Its not over but beating Greinke and Kershaw back to back and the Dodgers having to win 4 out of 5 isn't a position I would want to be in.

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

After last year's NLCS nothing is a sure thing, but I sure like going to LA up 2-0 and our ace starting game 3. Shocked and awed that LA did not get at least one with their two best pitchers going. Wacha looks like a kid playing ball in the backyard, simply having fun. It's amazing to think the Cardinals ran nothing but rookies out to the mound today.

QOTD: How soon will the Dodgers bring back Kershaw and Greinke in the series, with the team being so troubled with its No. 4 starter, Ricky Nolasco? I could see Greinke being called on for Game 4 Tuesday (4 days rest).

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

LAking wrote:Maybe LA can improve by following your lead in the future. Will you show us the way?
Absolutely. Hop on my back, I'll take you to the promise land of fan-dom.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

LAking wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:

Oh, so being a good fan means being delusional, naive, and never being negative? I give up DB. You're the the best sports fan in the greater LA area. I bow to you. Maybe LA can improve by following your lead in the future. Will you show us the way?
I'm glad the Cardinals didn't close up shop when Allen Craig went out, or when Mujica fell apart.

I love the position the Cards are in, obviously, but as good of a history they have in the post-season, they also have way too many collapses when up three games to one for me to ever feel comfortable.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Aristo wrote:I'm glad the Cardinals didn't close up shop when Allen Craig went out, or when Mujica fell apart.

I love the position the Cards are in, obviously, but as good of a history they have in the post-season, they also have way too many collapses when up three games to one for me to ever feel comfortable.
Exactly. Or any other team that lost a few players throughout the year. It happens to everyone.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

LAking wrote:Oh, so being a good fan means being delusional, naive, and never being negative? I give up DB. You're the the best sports fan in the greater LA area. I bow to you. Maybe LA can improve by following your lead in the future. Will you show us the way?
wow. That's like the nicest have ever seen DB interact with anyone, in the past few posts, and you try to handle him like that ?

I hope Detroit wins it all.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

As I recall, weren't the Cardinals up 3 games to 1 last year on the Giants and the Giants came back to win it? I understand LAKing's frustration, but to say the series is over after two game is ludicrous!!!

By the way, I'd love to have Craig in the lineup....but he's hurt.

I like Waino on the mound tonight of course, but there's something about playing on the road and having the home team screaming and cheering that makes it so tough to win on the road.

A win tonight by LA and I think LAKing is singing a much different tune tomorrow.

By the way, unfortunately I may not be able to watch tonight's game at home as my brother-in-law and I are trying to decide who gets the unenviable task to take the kids to WWE Monday Night Raw. Is there a way I am able to view the game on my smart phone?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:Is there a way I am able to view the game on my smart phone?
Download the MLB At Bat app, pay your 6 or 7 bucks for the playoff streaming, and voila, you can watch or just listen to the game.

BTW...the idiot Dodger fan at my office that broke out the four Dodger flags on their car (yes FOUR) after the Braves series, is now down to two flags. Must be losing faith like King. :lol:

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

sportdan30 wrote:As I recall, weren't the Cardinals up 3 games to 1 last year on the Giants and the Giants came back to win it? I understand LAKing's frustration, but to say the series is over after two game is ludicrous!!!

By the way, I'd love to have Craig in the lineup....but he's hurt.

I like Waino on the mound tonight of course, but there's something about playing on the road and having the home team screaming and cheering that makes it so tough to win on the road.

A win tonight by LA and I think LAKing is singing a much different tune tomorrow.

By the way, unfortunately I may not be able to watch tonight's game at home as my brother-in-law and I are trying to decide who gets the unenviable task to take the kids to WWE Monday Night Raw. Is there a way I am able to view the game on my smart phone?
One game will not change my tune. If they pull off 3 in a row I'll be more optimistic. The Dodgers record without Ramirez in the lineup is abysmal. They are simply not the same team without him. He may play but it will be in significant pain. I'll continue to watch the games and hope for a miracle like any good fan (Oh wait, i'm a terrible typical LA fan, never mind) but I've watched the Dodgers team play all season long and I know what they look like without Ramirez. They look a lot like they did a couple days ago, not giving any run support to the best pitcher in baseball. Kershaw only gave up two hits on less then 80 pitches through 6 innings and zero earned runs. If the offense had given him at least one run to work with he could have gone the distance.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Is there a way I am able to view the game on my smart phone?
Download the MLB At Bat app, pay your 6 or 7 bucks for the playoff streaming, and voila, you can watch or just listen to the game.

BTW...the idiot Dodger fan at my office that broke out the four Dodger flags on their car (yes FOUR) after the Braves series, is now down to two flags. Must be losing faith like King. :lol:
DB, you're so easy to see through. You'e a transplant fan who is clearly desperately looking for any opportunity to bash the local fans in order to validate your own fandom. If a fan of any other team went from 4 flags to 2 on a car you wouldn't bat an eye. But you must be right. Dropping from 4 flags to 2 has to be because he's losing faith. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that you can't roll down any of the windows with them on and he's not going to drive like that every day.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

vinny-b wrote:
LAking wrote:Oh, so being a good fan means being delusional, naive, and never being negative? I give up DB. You're the the best sports fan in the greater LA area. I bow to you. Maybe LA can improve by following your lead in the future. Will you show us the way?
wow. That's like the nicest have ever seen DB interact with anyone, in the past few posts, and you try to handle him like that ?

I hope Detroit wins it all.
Seriously? He's been taking direct pot shots at me and LA fans every chance he's gotten. I'll give DB credit for being a much more mature guy than he used to be, but he's been an ass in this thread. I just think the whole idea of generalizing an entire fan base like that is ridiculous. It's just a typical way of putting down a group of people to feel better about yourself.
Last edited by LAking on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

LAking wrote:DB, you're so easy to see through. You'e a transplant fan who is clearly desperately looking for any opportunity to bash the local fans in order to validate your own fandom. If a fan of any other team went from 4 flags to 2 on a car you wouldn't bat an eye. But you must be right. Dropping from 4 flags to 2 has to be because he's losing faith. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that you can't roll down any of the windows with them on and he's not going to drive like that every day.
It's a chick btw. And I don't see flags for other teams in LA (usually) and when I do, I bash those too. Flags are stupid, especially when you rock 4 of them.

I'm not a transplant fan...I'm an army brat who's lived all over the states. I have no allegiance to any city, as you can see by my randomness of fandom. It's not for a lack of trying to pick a city, I just haven't had enough time in any of them to fall in love with a particular 4-some of sports in a single city. So sue me.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Maybe the dude went from 4 to 2 flags because he realized he couldn't roll down any windows. It's hot here again....
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I can't stand Puig.. ugh.. please wrap this up in the next two games so I don't have to see him play.