MLB 2013 Season Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

MLB 2013 Season Thread

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I haven't been this excited about an opening day in years! Lots of interesting story lines across the league and thankfully both the Yankees and Red Sox should be terrible (fingers crossed).

First topic for discussion...are we going to see Free Agency disappear? All of these young studs are getting locked up soooo early so they never get to even test the waters. I guess the security of a long term deal is trumping a few extra dollars. Free Agency will be used for just the middle of the road guys from now on it seems. That doesn't seem to be all bad for them because they will get extremely rich contracts from the desperate teams without the young studs to extend before they hit Free Agency. Should be an interesting story going forward.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: MLB 2013 Season Thread

Post by snaz16 »

Direct TV MLB package ....I'm like a kid in a candy store :) Watched the end of the Mets-Padres yawner,but Mets pitcher Scott Rice makes his major league debut after 14 years (including 3 stints in independent leagues) of toiling in the minors,and retires the side in order to close the game out. Good stuff.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

I love opening day and everything about it. I'll watch more baseball in the next week then I will watch the rest of the year at least until the playoffs start. I'll be all over MLB extra innings during the free preview.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I haven't been this excited about an opening day in years! Lots of interesting story lines across the league and thankfully both the Yankees and Red Sox should be terrible (fingers crossed).
I am excited about following this particular division not only because of all the hoopla surrounding the Jays this year with the key acquisitions after bordering with frugality the past two decades, but also because all 5 teams in this tought Eastern division will have a good chance to surprise a few for better or worse. 8)

Everyone talks about how old the Yankees are, all banged up which they are but I still think that they will make it a good challenge to the Rays and Jays once they get all the guys healthy again. Do I wish that they suck, yeah sure unless you live in the Bronx who doesn't? :) But they are the Yankees and all of the sudden you may see guys like A. Pettite out of nowhere pitching like he did a few years back, the bullpen is still solid and they may find themselves in the mix.

I do think that the Redsox will end last again even with an improved team and manager, and I think the O's have finally learned how to win the tight, close games. In fact, the reason why any of these five teams won't have a more generous wining percentage is because they'll be busy beating the crap out of each other.

As for my Jays, I have high expectations in them, this should be a much improved team but you don't win on paper, you got to prove it on the field. Lots of speed, lots of power, just nervous about some lingering issues about the bullpen and whoever the closer maybe.

Barring the ridiculous amount of men lost to injury last year, this is the year I hope they can make it back to the playoffs.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

snaz16 wrote:Direct TV MLB package ....I'm like a kid in a candy store :) Watched the end of the Mets-Padres yawner,but Mets pitcher Scott Rice makes his major league debut after 14 years (including 3 stints in independent leagues) of toiling in the minors,and retires the side in order to close the game out. Good stuff.
Cool, from my hometown of Simi Valley as well. Wonder if he is a Royal or Simi High player?

I LOVE the Astro's new Retro jerseys. Going back to their old logo was genius. Their previous color scheme sucked.

Harper is a STUD!

The MLB network is heaven.

I love baseball and am so glad it is back.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Go Cardinals!!!

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Didn't have to wait long for Carlos Marmol to lose the strike zone. But good to see the Cubs get an opening day win.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Oh Justin Upton, how I love thee. Probably one of the hardest hit balls I've ever seen hit last night. A laser that was about 50 feet off the ground and 30 rows back in the power alley at Turner which is a legit monster homer because the wind blows through that tunnel there. The DBacks are idiots for trading him after an injury plagued year. They will regret the sh*t out of that trade.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Beltran looks like he's 50 years old out there in RF. :) I know they are saying he has a bad toe or something.. but sheesh.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Sold out opening for the Jays. Not surprising but the crowd left disappointed as Masterson outdueled R.A.Dickey. Not that Dickey pitched badly, he did give away a homer though but J.P Arencibia better learn how to catch that knuckler after 3 passed balls creating a couple of runs or the Jays may need to hire a goaltender when Dickey pitches.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Oh Justin Upton, how I love thee. Probably one of the hardest hit balls I've ever seen hit last night. A laser that was about 50 feet off the ground and 30 rows back in the power alley at Turner which is a legit monster homer because the wind blows through that tunnel there. The DBacks are idiots for trading him after an injury plagued year. They will regret the sh*t out of that trade.
Oppo bomb off Halladay tonight was impressive. It was a great pitch by Halladay.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Diablo25 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Oh Justin Upton, how I love thee. Probably one of the hardest hit balls I've ever seen hit last night. A laser that was about 50 feet off the ground and 30 rows back in the power alley at Turner which is a legit monster homer because the wind blows through that tunnel there. The DBacks are idiots for trading him after an injury plagued year. They will regret the sh*t out of that trade.
Oppo bomb off Halladay tonight was impressive. It was a great pitch by Halladay.
He's good.

I like how both Gattis and Howard both strutted their stuff after hitting moon shots. At least Gattis' ball went out. Howard not so much. Haha. It's great to see Utley healthy again...I love/hate watching him play. It's just too bad the rest of the team is a bit old and on their career downswings. Gonna be tough for them to hang w Washington and Atlanta. This is the first time in a long time the Braves have had a legit offense from top to bottom. Gonna be a fun year.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

I can tell already that the Tigers bullpen is going to give me heartburn for the next 7 months..........
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

The Braves and Nats both have monster teams and it will be fun to watch them both.

If Teheran pitches well, watch out.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Holy Sh!t ....how hot is Chris Davis with the O's. Grand slam and sac fly so far today. 4 HR and 16 rbi's in 4 games. At least its not just the Rays pitching.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Justin Upton with a few more bombs and the game winner tonight. Remember how I said I'd be excited if the Braves somehow figured out how to get him? Well, now you know why. Legit.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Justin Upton with a few more bombs and the game winner tonight. Remember how I said I'd be excited if the Braves somehow figured out how to get him? Well, now you know why. Legit.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Justin Upton with a few more bombs and the game winner tonight. Remember how I said I'd be excited if the Braves somehow figured out how to get him? Well, now you know why. Legit.

ugh.

:(
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The definition of bomb should apply to the Jays game today. R.A. Dickey just got rocked and is 0-2 in this young season.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Nice to beat up on Cain a bit today and come home for tomorrows opener, 3-3.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Baseball is not supposed to be exciting in April.
XBL: bdunn13
PSN: bdunn13

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Harvey gives this Mets fan a woody.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

What a colossal disappointment the Jays have been so far.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Shelby Miller is freakin good! What a performance tonight.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:Shelby Miller is freakin good! What a performance tonight.
Between him, Mike Minor, Matt Moore and Matt Harvey...there are some young studs taking the league by storm. I don't think I've seen a better couple of years in terms of young pitchers all maturing at the same time. It's awesome to see.