MLB 2013 Season Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 2013 Season Thread

Post by greggsand »

bulls23 wrote:Winning games 6 and 7 in Boston seems an impossible task. If somehow it happens, it would be a bigger miracle than 2011. Who would have thought in July that losing the All-Star Game was such a big deal?
Who would of thought in July that the cards couldn't hit in October? Holiday seems to be the only guy who's even swinging 'hard'. And don't get me started on Matt Carpenter - he's turned into a 'soft liner to 2nd' machine all of sudden. Mind blowing.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Congrats Redsox fans. All the bats that were asleep with the Tigers woke up big time during the WS.

Many Jays fans can't stomach probably John Farrell winning it all, but I never had a beef with this guy.

Gotta give the MVP to Papi.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wait, it's over? When did the world series start? Wow that was a snoozer.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

MVP to Big Juicy? :)

Congrats Boston fans!!!

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

10spro wrote:Congrats Redsox fans. All the bats that were asleep with the Tigers woke up big time during the WS.

Many Jays fans can't stomach probably John Farrell winning it all, but I never had a beef with this guy.

Gotta give the MVP to Papi.
Yeah, I've never had a huge beef with him. He certainly seemed like a different person/manager when he was with the Jays, but different circumstances obviously bring out different aspects of people.

A perfect ending to 2013 for Jays fans :evil: .........At least R.A. Dickey became the first Jay pitcher to win a Gold Glove :roll:

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

Saw the writing on the wall from the first pitch, but I stuck with the game til the end. Why did I torture myself? Anyway, congrats Boston. Now I got more free time to play GTA.
Currently Playing: Battlefield V, American Fugitive, Madden NFL 19, Golf Club 2019

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Did not see this coming. The Braves are going to build a new stadium in Cobb County,northwest of Atlanta by 2017.
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball ... obb/nbpNQ/

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Juicy rumours going around between a potential trade between the Jays and Phillies. Bautista and Brown involved.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Heard on the radio here in St. Louis that LA is supposedly listening to offers for Puig. I highly doubt they're shopping him.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:Heard on the radio here in St. Louis that LA is supposedly listening to offers for Puig. I highly doubt they're shopping him.
Radio guys are BLOWHARDS. NEVER going to happen. He's their most marketable regular position player BY FAR. A phenomenon. I'd bet a LOT of money on that. Ethier and or Kemp are as good as good however.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

In the rank of players to be dealt, Puig would be 4 or 5 down on LA's list, but don't think for a second LA wouldn't love to dish that headache off to Toronto or Texas or somewhere. Mattingly hates the distraction that dude brings. If it was a fair offer, could see them doing it in an instant. Miami would be the obvious choice.

Bottom line: old school guys (like casden, mattingly, even Magic) would rather deal with a lesser (more sane) talent than Puig. Such is baseball.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah but does Mattingly have much clout?

He probably would have lost his job if the Dodgers didn't turn the season around and as it is, his coaches were fired.

If Puig continues to produce, his salary for the next couple of years should be reasonable. I would think the team would choose the player over the manager.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Wow. Kinsler for Fielder. Huge trade.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

wco81 wrote:Yeah but does Mattingly have much clout?

He probably would have lost his job if the Dodgers didn't turn the season around and as it is, his coaches were fired.

If Puig continues to produce, his salary for the next couple of years should be reasonable. I would think the team would choose the player over the manager.
Totally agree,he's a young kid that never even had a pot to piss in. The maturity will come,and when it does this kid can be every bit as good as Mike Trout. On my team he's untouchable.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Cardinals have traded hometown boy David Freese to the Angels for Peter Bourjos
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

tjung0831 wrote:Cardinals have traded hometown boy David Freese to the Angels for Peter Bourjos
Great trade. Freese seems to be on the decline, has bad ankles, and is a defensive liability.

I like Carpenter at third, Wong at 2nd, and Craig at first. Trade Adams and a pitcher or two for a SS and we're set!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It's definitely a great trade. I love Bourjos (sp?)...I wanted the Braves to trade for him before they signed BJ Upton (would still like him instead of BJ, lol). I guess Freese just needs a change of scenery. Some guys can't handle playing at home in front of their friends/family they grew up with.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:It's definitely a great trade. I love Bourjos (sp?)...I wanted the Braves to trade for him before they signed BJ Upton (would still like him instead of BJ, lol). I guess Freese just needs a change of scenery. Some guys can't handle playing at home in front of their friends/family they grew up with.
Oh he handled the pressure well and he took advantage of everything that came his way while he was here...he just really wasn't that great of a player and he had problems staying healthy.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Peralta to the Cards for four years and 52 million. Wow. What a huge overpay.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Peralta to the Cards for four years and 52 million. Wow. What a huge overpay.
Agreed.. at least we didn't have to give up pitching and it's an upgrade to what we had. The last two years could be killers though.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

MizzouRah wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Peralta to the Cards for four years and 52 million. Wow. What a huge overpay.
Agreed.. at least we didn't have to give up pitching and it's an upgrade to what we had. The last two years could be killers though.
I don't mind overpaying dollars instead of arms. they can afford the cash because the cards have a ton of cost controlled players contributing in a large way. And they really needed an upgrade at SS. They are now in a position to hold all of those young arms, and teams may be willing to overpay to acquire them themselves. Before Peralta, teams knew the cards were desperate and could try to force the Cards to overpay.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

You can argue he's overpaid going forward, but the intangibles really light up a room (sorry)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/friv/rudolph.html