Sim City

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Sim City

Post by bdunn13 »

Anyone going to pick this up in a couple of weeks?

http://www.simcity.com/

Seems like they are just naming it Sim City.

This might be my favorite PC series of all time. I think I purchased the last version 2-3 times after I kept losing disks.

I am not fond of the $59 price-tag so I might wait for a sale. However, I know I am going to pick it up!

BD
XBL: bdunn13
PSN: bdunn13

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Sim City

Post by vinny-b »

yes.

I plan to replicate a country the size of the United States in the game. Systematically eliminate factories, resulting in 95% of all domestically consumed goods being produced overseas. Then find out if/how long my "little people" can survive, selling hamburgers to each other

_

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

vinny-b wrote:yes.

I plan to replicate a country the size of the United States in the game. Systematically eliminate factories, resulting in 95% of all domestically consumed goods being produced overseas. Then find out if/how long my "little people" can survive, selling hamburgers to each other
Haven't we already run this scenario on the world's most sophisticated computer?

And I recall this was the result:

http://bit.ly/tZQTfh

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I played the s*** out of the old games in the early 90s. Unsure if I have enough time to devote to this or not.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm definitely getting it...tho it's kind of disheartening to hear that they really scaled back the size of the cities because they wanted it to be able to run on the most computers possible. I hate it when they develop and make decisions based on the lowest common denominator, but I suppose it's good business.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Excited about this as well but need play a bunch of other games sitting around in my Steam Library, plus Bioshock Infinite. MIght as well wait for a price drop.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I will also wait for the price drop, and see if I still have interest at that time.

I'm always anxious to play SimCity games but lose interest after a while.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

RogueWar
Mario Mendoza

Post by RogueWar »

I pre-ordered it from Amazon to get the $20 gaming credit that I will turn around and use on TW14.

I too was a little disappointed to see the limit to the city sizes, but I'm looking forward to seeing all of the interaction between the different cities in the region. I played a little bit of the weekend beta for pre-ordering and it will be interesting to not be forced into straight grid layouts with the option to use curved or free form streets. The beta limited you to 1 hour of play and then the game would end. I play too slow to really get my city to grow much past a small town but the leaderboards were filled with poeple that had a population over 1 million if I remember correctly. It seemed like they were providing a lot of leaderboard options so that you could compare your cities with your friends as well.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

After reading more about the city size limits mentioned earlier I'm a lot less enthusiastic about this game. I played Simcity 2000 and 3000 a ton. I mostly played in sandbox mode and just designed massive cities. I was less concerned with slowly building a city up than with having a grand design that i wanted to create using the tools provided. It looks like that won't be possible in the new game. These maps looks way too small.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

I think the amazon preorder is the way to go.. brings the price down to what it should be at launch for a modern PC game....

There might be a way to change the city size or edit maps and make them bigger but changing some xml files...

Many of the stuff in the games I develop can be customized by editing xml files....

If some of you are really board you can read about it.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependency_injection

BD

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

bdunn13 wrote:I think the amazon preorder is the way to go.. brings the price down to what it should be at launch for a modern PC game....

There might be a way to change the city size or edit maps and make them bigger but changing some xml files...

Many of the stuff in the games I develop can be customized by editing xml files....

If some of you are really board you can read about it.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependency_injection

BD
Highly unlikely based on what the developers have said. Check out the link below for a good explanation why we will probably not see larger maps.
http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comment ... tive_of_a/

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I'm there day one. Even if I have to play it through crappy Origin.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Macca00 wrote:I'm there day one. Even if I have to play it through crappy Origin.
Apparently Origin is even crappier than advertised! Couldn't happen to a nicer company :roll:

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Server down?

I ordered VIA amazon, but I don't have prime anymore so I will be waiting a couple more days until I get my copy.... might not really be waiting if their servers are bad....

I remember the issues EA use to have with Madden...

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

To be honest - as much as I F@&KING HATE Origin....I've had zero problems playing this today. Logged in this morning with no problems and also this afternoon.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Macca00 wrote:To be honest - as much as I F@&KING HATE Origin....I've had zero problems playing this today. Logged in this morning with no problems and also this afternoon.
Must be nice. I bought it last night prior to the "release" and just was going to download once it went live. Well, it went live and I STILL wasn't able to download it. Had I waited until it went live, I'd have been able to download right away. As it stood, it still hadn't gone live until around 5am this morning. So yeah...they screwed me, who technically pre-ordered.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

:( gotta wait until sometime in Spring to get it for the Mac.....

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote::( gotta wait until sometime in Spring to get it for the Mac.....
Which is why a Mac should never be your only computer.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:So yeah...they screwed me, who technically pre-ordered.
Sorry dude - Origin blows. I pre-ordered too (just so I could get the $20 gift code....for another Origin game...doh) but Origin won't even let you pre-load like Steam. I'm playing through Crysis 3 as well so I'm stuck with Origin for both games (and BF3).

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

All good things come to those who wait......

I lost my city and now I can't log in.

f*** EA, and f*** Origin.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

All I know it's a damn good the MLB came out this week so I have something to occupy my time until this crap gets ironed out. I installed the game, but that's it.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

That always on DRM needs to die a slow painful death. So EA did not learn a single thing from Blizzard? Shameful !

I was ready to buy this game until I learned about the DRM. Whew, i'm glad I showed restraint.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Rodster wrote:That always on DRM needs to die a slow painful death.
Indeed. Unfortunately, I think even the next gen of consoles (with their always-connected/online features) will probably adopt this.
Rodster wrote:Whew, i'm glad I showed restraint.
What is this 'restraint' you speak of? Explain this to me.

:)

But seriously, I'm really pissed my city just bloody disappeared....and now I can't even play the game to start a new one.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah Rod has restraint...for about two days. He's got as much willpower as I do. Somehow I haven't yet purchased Crysis 3...and it kills me every time I fire up a service that can provide it for me with a click of a button. In due time I'm sure.