Intersting CNN article (sports video game related)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

http://money.cnn.com/2003/12/12/comment ... /index.htm
<BR>
<BR>I´ll let some other read this first before commenting.
-Matt

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

That was a tremendously flawed piece on a number of levels. It made too many all-or-nothing arguments:
<BR>
<BR>a) Video games are endangering participation in sports, meaning you either play sports or play video games. Yet many people do both, including many college and pro athletes. I think the fattening of America´s youth has more to do with declining sports particpation than joystick jockeying.
<BR>
<BR>b) Sports video games have lost market share to action games, so sports video games must be declining in populaity. Nonsense. Since, as was somewhat explained, sports tend to decline during the life of a platform, because the improvements generally tend to become more marginal from year to year.
<BR>
<BR>I don´t think the author made a very strong case. I agree that past participation in a sport builds an allegiance to it (which is probably why I don´t follow hockey). But he ignores how games can also get you into sports -- baseball games and NBA Inside Drive actually got me into the game beyond the level of being a Cubs and Bulls fan. Or look at how Winning Eleven creates soccer fans.<BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Brando70 on 15-12-2003 14:09 ]</font>

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

"I think the fattening of America´s youth has more to do with declining sports particpation than joystick jockeying."
<BR>
<BR>I think the author is suggesting declining sports participation might be due to increased joystick jockeying. Kids would rather play Halo on Saturday afternoon than head out and shoot hoops at the local court or play baseball in the field.
<BR>
<BR>
Xbox gamertag: JamesE009

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Heh, I stopped playing hoops as much as I used to because of gaming, especially on those cold winter nights.
<BR>
<BR>Video gaming probably doesn´t help the fatness of kids but I believe the nutritional problems (junk food makers are also blamed) and decline in exercise were trends long before games became as big as they are today.
<BR>
<BR>Remember that Presidental program or whatever for physical fitness? That program was around when we were in schools because people were alarmed at the problem, way back then.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Parents are to blame as much as video games.
<BR>
<BR>My 5-year-old daughter and almost 3-year-old son ask to play my Xbox at least two or three times per week.
<BR>
<BR>They get the same answer every time: "No. Go play with a board game, with your toys or outside. You´re not playing these games."
<BR>
<BR>Then they ask, "Why?" And I reply, "Because I said so."
<BR>
<BR>Is it hypocritical, considering I play video games often? No, because I´m the parent, and they´re the kid. I do know what´s best for them, in this case, and it´s not video games.
<BR>
<BR>Video games might not be the best thing for me, either. I read less and exercise less now than before I bought my first PlayStation in 1997 and returned to the hobby hardcore after about a seven-year hiatus. But I´m an adult and can live with the consequences of my decisions. They´re kids, and they can´t.
<BR>
<BR>Many parents in the U.S. have forgotten that.
<BR>
<BR>Out,
<BR>PK<BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: pk500 on 15-12-2003 15:41 ]</font>
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Jason
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Jason »

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>On 2003-12-15 15:39, pk500 wrote:
<BR>Parents are to blame as much as video games.
<BR>
<BR>My 5-year-old daughter and almost 3-year-old son ask to play my Xbox at least two or three times per week.
<BR>
<BR>They get the same answer every time: "No. Go play with a board game, with your toys or outside. You´re not playing these games."
<BR>
<BR>Then they ask, "Why?" And I reply, "Because I said so."
<BR>
<BR>Is it hypocritical, considering I play video games often? No, because I´m the parent, and they´re the kid. I do know what´s best for them, in this case, and it´s not video games.
<BR>
<BR>Video games might not be the best thing for me, either. I read less and exercise less now than before I bought my first PlayStation in 1997 and returned to the hobby hardcore after about a seven-year hiatus. But I´m an adult and can live with the consequences of my decisions. They´re kids, and they can´t.
<BR>
<BR>Many parents in the U.S. have forgotten that.
<BR>
<BR>Out,
<BR>PK
<BR>
<BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: pk500 on 15-12-2003 15:41 ]</font>
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR>Well said. I couldn´t have said it any better myself.
<BR>
<BR>Jason
<BR>
www.SportsGamingNation.com

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

What I was thinking is, if your child already has weight issues early, playing sports/outdoor activities probably isn´t enjoyable. I know when I was heavier and really went back to the gym regularly, it was hell at first and I dreaded every trip for a couple months. But I still enjoy doing things like softball, basketball, etc. I was a very active kid growing up, but still logged in countless hours on my 2600 and Commodore 64. This article makes it sound like there can be no balance between the two.
<BR>
<BR>I will echo one thing PK said -- I do think video games take a toll on how much I read. I still read regularly but not nearly as much as I should be. At the same time, I now watch very little TV, aside from news and sports, so that probably offsets it.<BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Brando70 on 15-12-2003 16:17 ]</font>