Help with second xbox 360

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Help with second xbox 360

Post by Sudz »

So.. I picked up a second xbox for my kids to mess with. What is the best way for me to move their game saves to the new system? I don't want my account linked to that system, but should I? Any help would be appreciated.

I know you guys have done stuff like this before. So thanks.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Help with second xbox 360

Post by Sudz »

WTF? AV cables? No HDMI cable included?

Freaking shocked one of these isn't included.... http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/Atar ... Switch.JPG

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Sudz wrote:So.. I picked up a second xbox for my kids to mess with. What is the best way for me to move their game saves to the new system? I don't want my account linked to that system, but should I? Any help would be appreciated.

I know you guys have done stuff like this before. So thanks.
You could use a USB flash drive to move/copy game saves. There is also an option to save files in "cloud storage" but I haven't used that myself.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

mike95 wrote:You could use a USB flash drive to move/copy game saves. There is also an option to save files in "cloud storage" but I haven't used that myself.
What Mike said but keep in mind Sudz that if you copy any games you paid for to another machine like an arcade game it will convert to demo status and any DLC won't work until you sign in with your user id.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

What they said above. I have 4 360's in my house, and you have to keep in mind things you buy for your kids (arcade games), where you buy it. For example, my main 360 is tied to my desk and my PC setup. So anything I play, I play there on my center TV.

But if my kids want Minecraft or some arcade game, I have to go take my profile (I keep it on a USB stick) over to their XBox, buy the game, and then it's registered on that system for anybody who fires it up. But the game I purchased is always registered to me anywhere, so I can then take my profile back to my 360 and install the same application. But if I BUY it on my 360, then go over to their XBox, it's a demo version unless they first fire it up with my profile, which is a PITA. There's nothing that "ties" your profile to a particular XBox other than the DRM license transfer stuff on XBox.com. I take my profile back and forth between multiple XBoxes and never have an issue.

I would recommend a 16GB flash drive that you keep your profile and your save games on. Install the main game and any DLC to the hard drive, and then you have all of your saves anywhere you play.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I curious why you keep your profile on the USB stick. You can download the profile to any linked system right? I know I have done this once so we could get Netflix on one of my 360's in the family room to watch movies.

I swore they made it easier to move your account from system to system without much hassle, maybe i am wrong.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:I curious why you keep your profile on the USB stick. You can download the profile to any linked system right? I know I have done this once so we could get Netflix on one of my 360's in the family room to watch movies.

I swore they made it easier to move your account from system to system without much hassle, maybe i am wrong.
If I had to guess, he doesn't want his kids having access to his profile (and his credit card) when he's not watching them.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Because you have to physically move it each time. Or if somebody logs into the front Xbox while I'm logged into the back and it auto signs in my profile (which mine is always the default sign in), then it kicks me off of mine in the middle of a game. Plus if I bring it to a buddy's house, etc--it takes like 20 minutes to download my profile for some reason. I don't know if it's the amount of games I've played or what, but any time I have to download my profile it's a huge wait.

...and this is a personal reason, but a big one...my son (who has Autism) rang up $700 worth of charges on my account one time, getting the family packs for XBox Live a few times, a bunch of games and movies--he had no idea what he was doing, just hitting the button nonstop through the various menus. So after that, my profile is the only one with any payment information saved on it, and it's always on a USB stick that's with me :wink:

Took us a bunch of calls to clear that up, so I avoid any potential issues by leaving it on my USB stick. Can take it anywhere, any time, with no huge wait to download profiles and no conflicts or sign-ins at the same time.
Last edited by TCrouch on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Danimal wrote:I curious why you keep your profile on the USB stick. You can download the profile to any linked system right? I know I have done this once so we could get Netflix on one of my 360's in the family room to watch movies.

If I had to guess, he doesn't want his kids having access to his profile (and his credit card) when he's not watching them.
Ding ding ding ding! Especially my youngest boy, as noted above :lol:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I've considered that family pack but I really don't get the jist of it. You can't have all 4 accounts on one system, they all need to go on different systems. That is the reason I didn't get it.
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Not sure what you've heard there...I have a family pack with mine as the primary and my kids and wife on the other 3 on their own profiles. My wife is on the hard drive on the front XBox and my kids have theirs on USB sticks as well, and they float around wherever they want. You're not tied to any system any more than your original was tied to a system.

You go into your family settings and can add or remove XBox Gold accounts from any available. System doesn't matter, but you can tie them to profiles on the current system, or make new accounts, or anything. There's no limit.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I was told that by MS when I called once to inquire about it. I know you can move the accounts around but I was told that each profile needed to go on its own 360. My kids both use the one in the family room so I would set both profiles up on the same system if that was possible which your explanation makes it seem like it is.
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Totally. Not sure what they meant, because I set all of the profiles up on the same box. Then I copied them to their USB sticks and that was that.

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

TCrouch wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:

Ding ding ding ding! Especially my youngest boy, as noted above :lol:
My 5 year old bought all the skin packs for Minecraft last weekend. My profile is going on a memory stick tonight. Thanks for that tip.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Thanks!

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

I just added a family pack a couple of months ago. I have 2 360's and all of us (wife and 2 kids) have our profiles downloaded on each console with no auto sign in. No USB stick required to move profiles around. We also use cloud storage for some save game files. As noted above.. On-demand games bought online are then registered to that console and cannot be played on a different console except for the profile that bought it. So, as I bought Borderlands on demand, my kids and wife can play it in the living room and I can play it there as well as on the console in the family room. (re-downloaded it) This allows 2 consoles to play the same game at the same time including playing on Live.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

thanks!

Still trying to figure out how to use my current profile on the second xbox without messing anything up and move those saves to the new xbox. It said I couldn't use the saves with the profile I set up.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

You can't set up a new profile. You can either transfer via USB stick, or download the profile from XBL and manage saves from there.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

thanks!