Tiger Woods 14 thread, part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Tiger Woods 14 thread, part II

Post by J_Cauthen »

orthostud23 wrote:I have had the freeze issue happen a couple of times but never during the round. Hopefully the freeze is just linked to this older version of a demo.
I had my second gameplay freeze occur last night. I was actually -1, going to the 3rd tee at Oak Hill in Simulation difficulty, and the demo froze before I could execute my shot. I had to do a cold reboot. That's the third freeze I've had, two of them were during gameplay.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Demos are older, by nature. Hope that it's not indicative of the final product.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

While I hope I'm wrong, history of this issue doesn't give me a good feeling it'll be different in the final product.

There were patches delivered last year to specifically deal with freezing issues, yet freezing continued to plague members of this forum.
Last edited by Wilk5280 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GT = Wilk5280

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I never expect anything to be fixed from a demo to final product. It almost never is.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Divot pointed out to me that the use of the "Y" button to fast forward the action may be contributing to freezes. I hadn't tried fast-forwarding until last night. I used it on my approach to the second hole, in the round during which my freeze occured on the 3rd. I thought I'd read that fast-forwarding and/or speed play was going to be disabled in Connected Tournaments, but this was a Connected Tournament during which I fast-forwarded last night.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I just discovered that another complaint I have with the presentation *may* has been addressed, at least to a degree, since the demo version. A number of gamers were complaining about how during putting, the camera zooms out as the ball is struck and makes it hard to see what the ball is doing. Executive Producer, Sean Wilson addressed these complaints in the official forum's demo impressions thread with the following:

"ok, some good news. looking at that camera, that is a bug. I want to be very clear on this. the camera does not pull back like that in the final game. that was a bug. and forgive me but it's hard to go back 2 months and know exactly what was in the demo. but looking at that video, that is definitely a bug when you see the camera kind of zoom out like that.

the camera actually is more presentation like where you always get an angle showing the ball and the cup. now it's more tv like than many of you may like, but it is much better than what is in the demo. you sometimes get a camera that stays with your golfer depending on the length of the putt, but mostly it's more broadcast style, even on follow cam."

You'll notice he says that it will 'always get an angle showing the ball and the cup'. I don't know how varied these angles will be in the final version, but the ones used in the demo are not immersive or as informative as they should be. I just have to ask myself, where did this notion come from that we wanted all these broadcast trimmings, to the extent they hindered the game play and player immersion!? I'm not against having broadcast *options*, but leave them as options.

I don't expect the Broadcast presentation option to get any help with the putting camera work, but I can't imagine how the legions of Follow Cam denizens are going to eventually get annoyed with this. I'll give the final version a chance though; maybe the will make a significant enough change to make this look a little more grounded. I'm afraid it isn't the only beef I have with Follow Cam though... my live and let live relationship with it has run its course.

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

I re-installed TW'06 on my PC and forgot what a great golf game it was.

Downloaded Augusta and some other courses and have been playing all weekend.

I think it has the camera that J Cauthen is looking for also. I love the swing with the mouse and the putting is great.

I know it doesn't have all the features but just for a casual round it plays nice.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Pete wrote:I think it has the camera that J Cauthen is looking for also. I love the swing with the mouse and the putting is great.
Yes, I think they call it the "Snap to Lie" camera? It is pretty darn close to what I'd like to see in the console series. The only thing I don't like about it is that you know exactly where the ball is going to wind up in the reverse angle view. It always frames the camera the same. I'd rather it have a fixed reverse angle camera position, and pan to follow the ball to its finish.

Still, I find Snap to Lie to deliver a much more immersive, player oriented presentation than either option in the Tiger 14 demo. This is keeping me from feeling excited about Tiger 14's release, and is why it's still Season Ticket and Gamefly rental during the feeling out period right now. The gameplay is just going to have to go way around the block to steal my heart and make be able to grin and bear Follow Cam for another year :|

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

[deleted] duplicate

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

J_Cauthen wrote:The gameplay is just going to have to go way around the block to steal my heart and make be able to grin and bear Follow Cam for another year :|
John:

Just hold your nose during the "Magic Carpet Rides" and you should be just fine. :wink: :roll: :lol:

-MERACE

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

MERACE wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:The gameplay is just going to have to go way around the block to steal my heart and make be able to grin and bear Follow Cam for another year :|
John:

Just hold your nose during the "Magic Carpet Rides" and you should be just fine. :wink: :roll: :lol:

-MERACE
I've had my face washed with Follow Cam for most of an entire season with Tiger 13, you'd think my resistance would have been broken by now :o, but it's not - I'm still a staunch dissenter :twisted: Still, I find it more tolerable than the Broadcast Camera's "insta-cuts". It's like pouring salt in the wound with the way the camera zooms out while putting with Follow Cam in the demo. Sean Wilson says that's a bug in the demo and it's been fixed for release. I hope so because it really casts a pall on the main advantage Follow Cam would have over Broadcast Cam in the putting game department.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Here is a career blog for your reading pleasure.

http://www.easports.com/tiger-woods/new ... e-dev-blog
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm wondering what kind of patch will be added to the skills contest featuring Tiger and Lindsey Vonn ... :) It better be accompanied by this soundtrack:

Last edited by pk500 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I played career mode quite a bit last year in order to get XP what not. One thing it was lacking, was the lack of proper stats as to how I shot the previous days on a particular hole. So sounds like a good addition. Any kind of notification as to who is leading at what particular hole would be nice too.

As dry as Jim Nantz is in the game, any kind of commentary regarding your previous rounds and a word or two about a particular golfer would add a lot to the presentation and atmosphere aspect of the game.

I am sure the ladies will welcome the LPGA but I'll be sticking to my Pro. I pre-ordered the game despite the meh feeling I had in the demo. Funny thing I almost bought back TW 11 for 10 bucks today but decided to take a mulligan last minute.

orthostud23
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by orthostud23 »

I thought about digital download through the PlayStation store for Tiger but I still want to give the OCC a chance. Amazon has a Great preorder deal where you Can get the historic edition for The same price as the regular edition.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I think the lack of yardage markers just pushed this into no-buy territory for me. the sim difficulty was looking good, but flying blind is not what i want o increase difficulty.

In TW 11, knowing the distance to to bends in the course drove a lot of the strategy of plying. If you are going to hit a draw or fade around it, you need a decent idea of what the yard age is there. And this is a game, so providing me with the same info that is provided to a PGA golfer is better than forcing me to pre-play courses, hitting shots with unlimited mulligans to get a read on distances on a given course.

It's frustrating because there have been a lot of improvements made to TW since 11 that would be nice to play with. But taking away the True-Aim makes it pointless to play. And how n the world is the normal yardage markers that you get in all golf courses not a part of this. It's weird.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

orthostud23 wrote:I thought about digital download through the PlayStation store for Tiger but I still want to give the OCC a chance. Amazon has a Great preorder deal where you Can get the historic edition for The same price as the regular edition.
Where do you see that...I don't see any deal on it!
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

orthostud23
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by orthostud23 »

Zlax45 wrote:
orthostud23 wrote:I thought about digital download through the PlayStation store for Tiger but I still want to give the OCC a chance. Amazon has a Great preorder deal where you Can get the historic edition for The same price as the regular edition.
When I put the game into my cart I noticed the deduction there. Not sure if being a prime member made any difference or not.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

orthostud23 wrote:
Zlax45 wrote:
When I put the game into my cart I noticed the deduction there. Not sure if being a prime member made any difference or not.
I have Prime and I'm only seeing $69.96.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

orthostud23
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by orthostud23 »

Not sure what to tell you then. Saw a post on TW forum...went to amazon, added to cart. Showed $69 with a $10 deduction.

Sorry it's not working for you guys

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

I'm seeing the same as you Diablo and I'm also a Prime member.
gamertag: ddtrane65

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

orthostud23 wrote:Not sure what to tell you then. Saw a post on TW forum...went to amazon, added to cart. Showed $69 with a $10 deduction.

The poster says Masters Edition, not Historic Edition.
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9380022.page

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

orthostud23 wrote:Not sure what to tell you then. Saw a post on TW forum...went to amazon, added to cart. Showed $69 with a $10 deduction.

I'll be the first to apologize to you. You're right and I'm wrong. I went and canceled my previous order, then reordered the Historic Edition and received the same $59.96 price. So Orthostud, I thank you, and my wallet thanks you, no since in not saving the ten bones.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

The DSP OCC now has a "1 Rounder" set up for play on Friday evening at 10 PM EDT. I figured everyone would have had a chance to download the Season Ticket by then and hop onboard. I'd like to set a 4-Rounder before Friday afternoon. Please go to our league forum and give me your thoughts on what you'd like to see in the Tiger 14 OCC thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15920&start=25

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Yep, the deal showed up at checkout...Thanks
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"