Tiger Woods 14 thread, part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

orthostud23
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Re: Tiger Woods 14 thread, part II

Post by orthostud23 »

I have had the freeze issue happen a couple of times but never during the round. Hopefully the freeze is just linked to this older version of a demo.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
ddtrane wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Preordered the historic edition from Amazon today.
I did the exact same thing yesterday. I'm relatively new to Amazon, are they pretty reliable with their shipping dates? The reason I ask is because the order says it will be here on the 26th, the day it comes out? How is this even possible? But if it shows up on release day I won't complain and just enjoy it.
Extremely reliable. I have pre-ordered a ton of games from them and they all arrive on the release date. If they have to ship it friday to get it to you by tuesday, they'll do it. Clearly they get games before the actual street date, just like any other retailer.
Ditto to what DB said. I went with the Prime subscription a few months ago and it has been phenomenal. Top notch. I've ordered like 3-4 games and they always arrive on release day.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Amazon Prime can't be beat, IMO.
GT = Wilk5280

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Confirmation came from one of the devs on the official forum yesterday that no significant changes will be made to the cameras for Tiger 14. Here's Justin Patel's response to someone who was asking about the possibility of True-Aim or a what Merace describes as a "Golfer/Broadcast" camera, as a second alternative, being patched in:

"Cameras have too much impact on the game states to be able to patch. Especially the True-Aim camera, which had issues that were beyond repair late in the cycle. These issues are what forced us to cut it. It wasn't a decision we wanted to make. But sometimes you have no choice. Would you rather we shipped with it, and your camera just stays behind on the tee most of the time? (And by stay behind, I mean that you are up in the fairway trying to line up your 2nd shot, but you are looking at your golfer from 300 yards away back on the tee.) Trust me, it isn't fun".

(sigh)... I hate to say it, but that probably does it for me this year. As much as I'm growing to like the tournament, and to a slightly lesser degree- simulation difficulty, I just can't see myself riding this game out using Follow Cam. It's just not my cup of tea. The Broadcast camera isn't a viable option from a player perspective because it deprives you of information you should have in real time for chipping and putting. I also can't tolerate the aesthetics of the camera switch at impact long term.

I plan to test it thoroughly over the season ticket weekend, but I'm so put off by the presentation options that I seriously doubt I'll be buying the game this year.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote:Would you rather we shipped with it, and your camera just stays behind on the tee most of the time?
I hate when developers post things like this. What does he expect him to say? More importantly the person is a consumer do you not want to hear what he wants?

I'd rather you ship it without the ball drop bug, without it freezing and the numerous other bugs how about that.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

It seems to me that EA and the TW Devs are in a no win situation. It's great to have community involvement and to try to seem transparent to the customers. However, when your community is potentially the entire console gaming world across all ages, you set yourself up for failure. TW tries to cater to too wide an audience (which is a potential problem for all sports games). I could care less for legends modes, LPGA, pin boosts, special clubs and gear, create a face, arcade modes, etc. What I want in a golf sim is simple, but I understand it does not cater to the 13-19 year olds. I would like it to simulate golf physics and golf strategy, as well as the feel of a PGA tournament with as many of the real PGA Tour players as possible. I would like it to allow for somewhat realistic scoring at the highest difficulty level (acknowledging that there is no perfect solution), and that it allows for online play with web based stat tracking and seamless custom league like play. I would like it to have all the main current PGA Tour courses including all majors out of the box, with the ability to buy additional real courses as DLC, but not needed to play an offline current year PGA Tour season. Ideally it would have as few show stopper bugs as possible.

I get that in software development there is rarely an issue that was just someone making a dumb decision or mistake. It's all about deadlines, compromises, resource allocation, etc. However, as a consumer who just spent over $100 a year ago on a product, I need very compelling reasons to repurchase that product again at the same price or greater. At this point TW 14 does not appear to have delivered that for me personally based on the demo and what has been divulged to date. Of course that all could change for me if everyone here loves it and starts a league.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

My decision not to buy Tiger Woods 14 in two weeks is very simple. Last year, I couldn't stop playing the TW13 demo after trying it a few times. This year, I have no desire to play the TW14 demo after trying it a few times.

Must go with my gaming gut.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

My impression of what's going on with this series, and its increasingly wonky camera work, is that it's in essence, the same basic game engine they started the current gen with. They just keep tweaking and adding on to it, but with each addition, things start happening "under the hood" and the core game engine becomes unstable. How can you explain a game that had stable True-Aim, Presentation, and Follow Cam options in Live Tournaments for Tiger 12 (you could even switch between them in game!), declining to True-Aim in online multiplayer and career mode in Tiger 13, but not Live Tournaments, and finally, No True-Aim at all in Tiger 14, primarily because they can't get it to work :?

It's got to be other stuff they're adding to the game that's affecting the operation of the cameras. It just seems like it's working the opposite of what one would think though. Why is the most static camera, with the least dynamic cut the one that they can't get to work!? And yes, I thought the way that comment about would you rather us have shipped it with a camera that stayed on the tee comment was rather deflective. IOW, we can't make this feature that you've had in the past work, so you'd better be thankful that you're getting what we can get right :roll:

What playing this demo has done for me is to reinforce again, just how much I appreciate Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10. It's got three huge advantages over Tiger 14:

1.) It's Presentation camera walks the dog on Tiger 14. It actually gives you a taste of the golfer perspective after hitting the shot, before cutting to another camera, sometimes for as long as 5 seconds. You get proper looks at the green and the line of the putt when putting. The 'cuts' that do occur during putting are from the opposite side of the hole looking back at the golfer. You can see *exactly* how the putt broke to aid you in your comebacker if you miss.

2.) Tiger 10's swing interface feels so much more rhythmic... it's not just 'twitch the stick' as fast as you can for the most power. You can get a maximum shot result for a swing that both looks and feels like one you could execute in real life.

3.) The meterless Precision putting of Tiger 10 is still the best of the series, IMO. I feel like I've got more linear control of the modulation of the putting stroke, plus the golfer animation doesn't appear like he's suffering from Parkinson's disease as he's standing over the putt.

Don, your comment that you wanted "the feel of a PGA tournament with as many of the real PGA Tour players as possible" is very poignant in my eyes. The fact that Tiger 14 can't *present* the game in a manner that makes me feel like a player instead of a spectator is where I lose that feel of a PGA Tournament. I still plan to play the game during Season Ticket weekend, but unless something makes me change my misgivings about the presentation, I'll be going back to Tiger 10, full time, for my video game golf fix, even though it's strictly offline.
Last edited by J_Cauthen on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

BTW I just saw it reported that the 14 course dlc pack is $39.99

Yeah they removed the coins feature so people could get popped in the 2 hole.
Follow Me on:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:BTW I just saw it reported that the 14 course dlc pack is $39.99

Yeah they removed the coins feature so people could get popped in the 2 hole.
Last year, they offered an 11 course pack for $35. Now they are offering 14 courses for $4.00 more, so they are popping users in the 2 hole? Um, okay....

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I think he is just referring to the fact that you will not be able to get DLC courses other than paying outright for them. Is that correct? I did not use that feature last year (grinding out for coins and applying to DLC), but I was under the impression that theoretically a busy golfer in TW13 could get access to most of the DLC without paying any extra real dollars. 14 courses for $40 bucks is less than $3 per course, so that is a pretty good deal. I pay about that much for each additional song in Rocksmith or carpacks in Forza Horizon. Will there be any other DLC purchasing options outside of the bundle and if so, what will the cost be per course?

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

J_Cauthen wrote: You can see *exactly* how the putt broke to aid you in your comebacker if you miss.
I know this is a workaround but you can always look at the replay from different angles to see how your missed putt or chip broke.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

DChaps wrote:I think he is just referring to the fact that you will not be able to get DLC courses other than paying outright for them. Is that correct?
If you're talking to me then yes that is what I was referring too. I don't see Divots post I have him blocked and told him as much.

I don't recall paying $40 last year. If Tiger Woods is worth a $100 for you DC more power to you but not me.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

No manual ball drops again this year. Confirmed by an EA dev at OS. He says the logic is reworked so that's good at least.
Follow Me on:

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I just checked and I purchased last years 11 course pack for 2560 points which is the equivalent of $32.00 which would have made it $40.00 without the season ticket 20% discount, so the dlc is the same price as last year with 3 additional courses.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Pete wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote: You can see *exactly* how the putt broke to aid you in your comebacker if you miss.
I know this is a workaround but you can always look at the replay from different angles to see how your missed putt or chip broke.
Yeah, I realize I can do this, but having to watch a replay to see something that I should have been able to see in real time kinda' throws a wet blanket over the experience.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:
I don't see Divots post I have him blocked and told him as much.
Seems a bit unnecessary since you ask questions that I can easily answer.....

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

vader29 wrote:I just checked and I purchased last years 11 course pack for 2560 points which is the equivalent of $32.00 which would have made it $40.00 without the season ticket 20% discount, so the dlc is the same price as last year with 3 additional courses.
I stand corrected I forgot about the ST discount.
Follow Me on:

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

DivotMaker wrote:
Danimal wrote:
I don't see Divots post I have him blocked and told him as much.
Seems a bit unnecessary since you ask questions that I can easily answer.....
But you didn't. You spun the answer, ignoring the fact that what he was really getting at was that EA eliminated the ability to get the courses for free by mastering them. I think this is just that sort of "easy" answer he finds worth avoiding.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Good lord, would you people grow up and shut the f*ck up already with this bullshit? Please?
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Aristo wrote:
But you didn't. You spun the answer, ignoring the fact that what he was really getting at was that EA eliminated the ability to get the courses for free by mastering them. I think this is just that sort of "easy" answer he finds worth avoiding.
Yes I did. I didn't spin a damn thing. You are getting more for your money this year than last year, so how is EA sticking it up users asses? They do not make very much from DLC and damn sure did not lose much from free courses last year whether you choose to believe it or not. I don't like the decision either, but have you seen any other publisher give users licensed DLC for free, especially when they could earn EVERY DLC course for free? I haven't. EA made a mistake by doing this in the first place if there was any chance they would revert back. I'll give those criticizing them that. But to say EA is screwing users with the DLC this year when it is cheaper than ever and more is offered than ever before, how is that screwing them? I'll go back into the background and you and Danimal can tear EA and the game up one side and down the other as I frankly do not care what either of you think because it always comes back to taking pot shots at me and I have had enough of the unnecessary bullshit.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Teal wrote:Good lord, would you people grow up and shut the f*ck up already with this bullshit? Please?
I spoke to Teal privately so that is why I edited this post. I've got an ignore list for a reason so even if I am mentioned in a quoted reply from someone else I will just ignore it.

Sorry back to Tiger news.
Last edited by Danimal on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I just want to read info about TW, not some silly, overdrawn Maury Povich episode. Take all that crap to PM's, and stop infecting the forum with it. I don't give a damn who said what to whom, or who did what. But this girl fight and potshotting has got to stop.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Danimal wrote:If you're talking to me then yes that is what I was referring too. I don't see Divots post I have him blocked and told him as much.
What the hell? I wanted no drama in this thread - and said instant ban for anyone who continues it.

If you've already told Divot that you have him blocked, why bring it up in this thread? What good is going to come out of that, other than trying to stir things up.

I can lock the thread again - but there are people here that are actually having a TW discussion; it makes no sense to punish them for the drama. So to keep to my word from before.

Danimal - ban.
Aristo - ban.

I'll lift it after the weekend. Teal is right - people need to start acting like adults and not having forum slap flights. And frankly, I don't want to hear any complaining - you've been warned earlier in the thread.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Divot, has EA permanently shut the door on TW for the Wii or Wii U?