MLB 13 The Show

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 13 The Show

Post by grtwhtsk »

Had my PS3 die on me a while back. Just picked up a new one, and am heading over to grab The Show today. Trying to hold off to play till my birthday tomorrow (as it is a gift), but who am I kidding! :D

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I will buy the digital version for the PS3 and physical evidence for the Vita.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Anyone have any idea when the PSN will have the download available for the Vita?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I've read too many issues with stuttering that it sounds like a patch needs to address this problem. I can definitely understand the frustration. Hopefully I don't experience any of these problems. Going to pick up my copy at lunch.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Had to go get gas for the snow blower for the storm that is hitting us so walked into Best Buy and grabbed a copy. It was weird being the only person in a Best Buy everyone was so nice and helpful. LOL
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

I've played 6 games in my Reds Franchise....still no stutter. I wonder if it's a 720P or PSN issue?
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Danimal wrote:Had to go get gas for the snow blower for the storm that is hitting us so walked into Best Buy and grabbed a copy. It was weird being the only person in a Best Buy everyone was so nice and helpful. LOL
We are getting pounded brother. I heard it was headed your way. Enjoy the game!
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Playoff mode, man. 'Bout damn time.

I got the physicals for both this time, because of the Amazon deal. First Vita cart I've ever bought, thing nearly flew across the room when I tried to remove it from the box. Thankfully it ain't leaving the Vita for a year or so.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Jackdog wrote:
Danimal wrote:Had to go get gas for the snow blower for the storm that is hitting us so walked into Best Buy and grabbed a copy. It was weird being the only person in a Best Buy everyone was so nice and helpful. LOL
We are getting pounded brother. I heard it was headed your way. Enjoy the game!
Won't get to it until tonight. Unfortunately snow doesn't prevent me from working from home. :(
Follow Me on:

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Does anyone know how to set up a private game online, to play with a friend? I'd love to try it out online some time with some DSP buds but I can't seems I figure out how to set up a private or invite-only game. Apparently classic stadiums are available for online play too. Awesome.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

This is a huge install......20 minutes and counting.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just got in from work and my bundle (PS3 & Vita version) was on the doorstep :). Installing now :D
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Crap never mind the installing part. I left the PS3 on (I bought the digital copy) since this morning and its still downloading, all 22GB worth.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

10spro wrote:Crap never mind the installing part. I left the PS3 on (I bought the digital copy) since this morning and its still downloading, all 22GB worth.
Just began my download - guess I'm not playing until tomorrow!

FYI - PSN is offering a deal in March, where every $50 spent gets you a $10 voucher to use in April. So, the $100 (if you add a 2 cent purchase!) you spend on the PS3/Vita versions will get you $20 back - not bad.

Going digital for both this year.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Something is up with my display settings, because graphically it looks poor. I'm gaming on a 60" plasma so I would expect it to look beautiful, but right now it's rather fuzzy and pixalated looking. Any suggestions?

Also, I did notice quite a bit of stuttering in my first game (albeit 3 innings), but I learned that if you go in to network settings and disable media center connection that should help. A more drastic approach is to put the PS3 in to SAFE MODE.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

First pitch I see in the game I hit one into the river at PNC with Jimmy Rollins.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

sportdan30 wrote:Also, I did notice quite a bit of stuttering in my first game (albeit 3 innings), but I learned that if you go in to network settings and disable media center connection that should help. A more drastic approach is to put the PS3 in to SAFE MODE.
Thanks for the info. Ill have to check my settings.

My tv is a really old panny plasma which makes 720p look awful no matter what, so I feed it 1080i all the time. Except of course with ps3 games which only output at 720p. :evil: :evil: I've noticed ps3 games look brilliant on the newer panny plasma at my dad's house. I need a new tv.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Zeppo wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Also, I did notice quite a bit of stuttering in my first game (albeit 3 innings), but I learned that if you go in to network settings and disable media center connection that should help. A more drastic approach is to put the PS3 in to SAFE MODE.
Thanks for the info. Ill have to check my settings.

My tv is a really old panny plasma which makes 720p look awful no matter what, so I feed it 1080i all the time. Except of course with ps3 games which only output at 720p. :evil: :evil: I've noticed ps3 games look brilliant on the newer panny plasma at my dad's house. I need a new tv.
Game looks beautiful on my new 60" Vizio LCD. Just lost a perfect game with Cliff Lee with one out in the 6th. Like what I see so far. The default settings (veteran) are a bit easy so far but I'm seeing plenty of hit variety. Ill be trying All Star settings next. Noticing a few little things. I like the new default guess pitch. It gives you feedback but not until right when the pitch is released...ala the old MVP series.

Looking like a snow day for school tomorrow...GREAT timing :)
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

When I first installed the game (10 meg) I had some audio stuttering. I exited the game and rebooted and had no problems since. No visual issues I could see in the first game I played. I played a game at the Polo Grounds. I have had that stadium in other baseball games but this was the first game where I saw the unique shape of the stadium reflected in the way the outfielders play. It was very cool to see outfielders play the bounce off the wall like they do in Fenway. This game is about the deepest sports game i have ever played. It may take me months just to scratch the surface.

Thanks for the advice to my previous questions. I am starting off with minimal control and gradually adding features. For example I want to get used to hitting before I take the base running off automatic. same with pitching and fielding.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Just got finished playing against the Mets in NYC. Game is so polished. I was able to get my display looking much better. Still have to mess around with some settings I think, but a drastic difference from my first game I played.

- Love the new throwing meter. Each year, it seems the devs give the user a bit more freedom, and this year is no different. You really have to concentrate or you'll throw the ball blindly away.

- To piggy back on what I just wrote, tracking fly balls is a thing of beauty.

- Definitely see a lot more hit variety. Line shots over the outfielder's glove, bloopers, line shots in to the corner, long gappers....

- The hitting window has definitely opened up. However, there's a big difference between a strong number one and a number 3 or 4 starter. I was only able to muster 1 run against Johan Santana through 8 innings. Fortunately, Freese put one just over the left field wall in the 10th inning. Love pitching with Cardinals young strong arms!

- Obviously errors are prevalent. Had the lead going in to the 9th 1-0, with runners at first and third and one out. Grounder to Kozma for a sure double play to end the game....not to be. The ball ate Kozma up and the Mets tied the game.

- I do see many pitches going over the plate for strikes, especially first pitch ones. Sliders may have to be tweaked or play on a higher level.

- My son loves beginner mode. He's able to get his swing down and crush the ball. A great new feature.

- Not a fan of pulse pitching, but they did tweak the appearance so it's not as nauseating.

- I love that you are able to toggle on and off the screen displays. Really gives the game an authentic look.

- Really like the new score overlay. Has a real nice broadcast look.

- Thus far, most of the players faces are spot on, although you do see some less than detailed faces on some. Overall, player models look great.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

A few more add ons....

Had a runner on second and hit one between short and third. Castro for the Cubs tried to back hand the ball and slowed it down. The ball went about 6 feet beyond him and with his momentum carrying towards third, Soriano had to come in to left. I was able to get the runner from second all the way around to score. Just a cool little play that you might see while watching a real game.

Playing on veteran, I went up against the Cubs 5th starter. Banged out 12 hits along with only 5 Ks. In year's past, I would have K'd a good 10 times at the very least. Eventually, I'll have to move up to All-Star but for the time being, I'm very content. Won a close game 3-2. Was up 3-0 in the 8th with Rosenthal sailing along with two outs and he gave up back to back to back hits. Sanchez came in and allowed another run until I was able to get out of the inning. Motte shut the door in the 9th.

As I stated, yes the CPU Pitcher throws many first pitch strikes, but they seem to do it strategically. They're usually trying to get ahead in the count like any good pitcher would do. So, they're not always right down the middle. They hit the lower part of the strike zone and mix up the pitches fairly well. It's not a concern of mine at this point.

The only sliders I've touched has been to lower fielder arm strength, just I have always done. Deep foul ball counts aren't numerous like in the past. Perhaps that has something to do playing on Veteran.

Really like the Fast Play feature. It's been tweaked where you're back to the action quicker between half innings. Foul balls, when they happen are pretty quick. No long drawn out sequences seeing where the ball lands.

A minor annoyance last year was the number of foul balls unrealistically bouncing around in the crowd like a ping pong ball. It's definitely a lot less frequent. Now the ball disappears in the crowd on landing.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So after the long ass install time I decided to try a new approach I went in as a Beginner since the game is suppose to adapt to you as you learn. I figured this would let me work on my timing and see how this worked.

Did a random play now with me Boston vs The Mets. There seem to be 6 ranks for pitching and hitting at beginner and I honestly couldn't tell you much of the difference in the pitching ranks. As they got higher I tended to miss my spots more and I eventually gave up a hit in the 8th inning and a solo shot in the 9th for my 1 run.

As a hitter at rank 1 they just groove fastballs just as my timing was getting down and I was bored I went to rank 2 and they started to mix in change ups. Still everything in the zone at this point. Rank 3 they started throwing pitches out of the zone but not too many. Still just FB and CU. At rank 4 they mix in the sliders and curves but now those pitch types are in the strike zone always and the FB & CU are still all over the place. At this point rank 4 FB & CU seem to be no longer nerfed.

At rank 5 they throw whatever, where ever. I'm not sure what happens at rank 6 and I guess it is possible I missed the notification and maybe I was on rank 6 because I scored 30 runs on 35 hits 14 of those home runs. It was good because it got my hitting timing down without frustration and until the stall from rank 5 to 6 in hitting everything moved at a good pace.

When the game was over it has me save a custom profile, I assume logging my ranks. It will be interesting to see if / when I play another game with this profile if it moves me up to Experience or not.

Overall the game just looks fantastic, I like what they did with some of the presentation elements like the post game player of the game. I really dislike how they identify if you guess a pitch type correctly only by flashing the ball red it made picking up the pitch harder.

If you guess type and location it seems to work like last year in that it flashes the box red and the zone red. Sometimes I guess pitch type right but not location and got no indicator. I am not sure if this is how it is suppose to work.

I'm curious to see how this adaptive play works and if it moved me up. The messages as they pop up above and below the screen are easy to miss and while I prefer it from the in your face tips I wish there was a way to recall them all and also see what rank I am at.
Follow Me on:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Whoa. That is all.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

How many of you guys are having stuttering issues? It is the thing that is holding me back from getting this right now!
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Zlax45 wrote:How many of you guys are having stuttering issues? It is the thing that is holding me back from getting this right now!
Played 3 games, zero stutters. I wonder if it's park specific. I know a few years back in the NBA 2k series, there were a few gyms that would stutter a bit more than others. I've only played in Atlanta so far, so not sure about other stadiums yet.