What are you excited for in 2013 gaming?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: What are you excited for in 2013 gaming?

Post by DivotMaker »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I don't see why new consoles are needed yet. I'm perfectly happy w/ the graphics from the top tier games for the most part. There are a few instances where the PC can crush the 360 (Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2) but those games are the minority. Usually the jump isn't so significant. It's not until all games have that gap that I usually start jonesing for a new console. That said, I'll still be first in line to buy both the Microsoft and Sony consoles when they are released.

I really wish The Show wasn't a Sony exclusive because there is no way I'd buy the next Sony console if it wasn't. Unfortunately it's my favorite yearly release and I simply HAVE to play it.
New consoles are needed because Devs want the game environments to improve. I know for a fact there are a number of cool features that EA would like to put into Tiger, but due to console hardware limitations (VRAM and GPU power mainly), they can't. Many Devs are up against the limitations of current hardware and I for one would like to see how much further they can go with game environments and other ram-hungry features.....

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

DivotMaker wrote:New consoles are needed because Devs want the game environments to improve. I know for a fact there are a number of cool features that EA would like to put into Tiger, but due to console hardware limitations (VRAM and GPU power mainly), they can't. Many Devs are up against the limitations of current hardware and I for one would like to see how much further they can go with game environments and other ram-hungry features.....
Don't get me wrong, I understand the developers want them, but I'm just saying that I'm not necessarily itching to get new gear when I have a PC that will still likely blow whatever is created out of the water anyway. There aren't many of us left that buy high end PC hardware to game on so I can see the luster for others, I just don't particularly have a hard-on for it right now.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I'd have to say that Grid 2 has me the most excited. I'm still waiting for the logical successor of TOCA 3 (still my favorite console racer of all time) to appear. My excitement for Grid 2 doesn't have a solid foundation; I thought Grid was way to far into the arcade corner. I just have a hunch that Codemasters' philosophy with Grid 2 will more more toward the TOCA model.

I'm curious to see Sony and Microsoft's next consoles, but I'm not nearly as jazzed for them as I was the 360 and PS3. I know we need more video RAM to make the sort of environment possible that I think is needed for golf games (whole course versus one hole surrounded by wallpaper). Hopefully, Microsoft can get rid of the bottleneck in the motion control interface and give Kinect's successor some real life.

I"m mildly excited for Tiger 14 on the 360, but I don't have enough solid details on it yet to get overly amped. I know I'll be buying it out of the gate since it's the only golf game in town, and enjoying it in spite of whatever shortcomings it will have. I just hope it feels as fresh as Tiger 10 did to me.

Finally, I hope I'll latch onto a team sports game in 2013. Nothing got me past a short rental time this year.... not really sure why.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Naples39 wrote:New consoles please. Even if I'm not committed to buying at launch, let's get the ball rolling; the sooner it releases, the sooner we get fully developed second generation software.
Amen to that. These are way overdue.

These may be the last hurrah though. Mobile is overshadowing every other tech segment and rumors are that MS may offer two different SKUs, with a low-end that is more geared towards media. I think they said in recent years that more people spent time on XBL streaming Netflix than playing games. So people are paying MS for XBL Gold to get a chance to watch Netflix through their Xboxes?

The other rumors are that they may go more conservative on specs, not make as big a jump, despite it being over 7 years since the current gen. They would get more bang for the buck (AMD and nVidia are suppose to roll out major new architectures) if they launched in 2014 but consoles (with $60 games) may have to prove their relevancy in 2013.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I just recalled there were rumors and speculation that the next gen consoles would try to prevent used games sales:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/01/e ... ame-sales/

If something like this comes to pass, they are asking for trouble. Compare such restrictive policies on $60 games vs. the cheap games which can be used on as many mobile devices as you want for iOS and Android games.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The big 3 console makers only have themselves to blame. IIRC it cost millions to make Metal Gear Solid 2 on the PS2 and big blockbuster titles have only gone higher. I've lost count what the average price is to make a AAA title these days, are we at $10-20 million? I think what Sony, MS and Nintendo should do is include a 1 time pass code with each game. If you buy a used game you'll need to pony up an additional $10. No need for that Sony online verification BS.

That's why you see more devs moving onto the iOS and Android platforms. They can nickel and dime their customers with IAP if the customer wants to pay for it. I read that the Temple Run dev made millions from IAP purchases which is why they gave the full game away for free.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Man - I just looked at the current release schedule for the Wii U and I don't ever recall being that underwhelmed by a games list ever. I keep trying to find reasons to be interested in that system and every where I turn I get further confirmation that I have no need for it.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

I am also looking forward to hearing any info on a MLB license. We'll we get info when the next box is announced? Or will MLB open it back up to all comers (pretty please!)

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

pigpen81 wrote:I am also looking forward to hearing any info on a MLB license. We'll we get info when the next box is announced? Or will MLB open it back up to all comers (pretty please!)
This is a good point. MLB Bobbleheads 2011 was actually pretty fun and I was disappointed there was no 2012 version. I would really like a baseball game this year.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

GTA and MLB The Show 13. That's about it for gaming. My gaming purchases have been scaling back in the last six months, and I don't see that changing. I'm slowly moving away from gaming all together, although the sports titles always interest me.

Going with one console this go around and more than likely it's the PS4 unless Xbox comes out with a baseball game. Online gaming doesn't hold my interest as it once did. Just not enough time in the day to devote to gaming anymore.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It looks like MS will announce the next XBOX at E3. Major Nelson started a countdown clock.

http://majornelson.com/2013/01/02/countdown-to-e3-2013/

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Do we think the game developers are already on this new tech? getting a head start or is it the same old formula 2,3 5 years before we get a game with full season mode.

Im hoping 2k are developing a hockey game with this new tech and gonna be blowing us away at launch. One can dream :D

whats the bet its all graphics and the ai stays the same?

Whatever it is it'll be good as i need an injection of something, otherwise ill still be a "miserable git" :lol:

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I'm excited for that new Team Ico joint, if it comes out this year.

Also any batshit Metal Gear stuff they decide to release.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Do we think the game developers are already on this new tech? getting a head start or is it the same old formula 2,3 5 years before we get a game with full season mode.

Im hoping 2k are developing a hockey game with this new tech and gonna be blowing us away at launch. One can dream :D

whats the bet its all graphics and the ai stays the same?

Whatever it is it'll be good as i need an injection of something, otherwise ill still be a "miserable git" :lol:
Performance of the new consoles are expected to be well below existing PC graphics cards. Both are using AMD/ATI graphics and other PC architectures.

However games for next gen consoles may require developing higher quality art assets, which take time and money.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

wco81 wrote:
Performance of the new consoles are expected to be well below existing PC graphics cards. Both are using AMD/ATI graphics and other PC architectures.

However games for next gen consoles may require developing higher quality art assets, which take time and money.
Link? All you are hearing is speculation and none of it official. I expect we will see graphics that match today's mid-high end cards at 1080p. However the high end graphics cards from ATI/NV today are pushing multiple monitors and higher resolutions, so we won't be seeing that in the new consoles, but who needs that and how would you put such silicon monsters in a console?

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

The Last of Us is the game I am most excited for this year.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

DivotMaker wrote:
wco81 wrote:

Link? All you are hearing is speculation and none of it official. I expect we will see graphics that match today's mid-high end cards at 1080p. However the high end graphics cards from ATI/NV today are pushing multiple monitors and higher resolutions, so we won't be seeing that in the new consoles, but who needs that and how would you put such silicon monsters in a console?
It's speculation, based on claims of the developer kits which are supposedly distributed.

Also the theory that MS especially may be more interested in other functions besides gaming. So one rumor is that they'd have a lower end box with no optical drive that is geared more for Netflix and also downloaded games and other content.

It's also based on the road maps for lithography at various fabs and technologies like stacked memory, which things will be ready by the end of this year and which wont.

The general expectation seems to be that you can already build PCs with more power than what the new consoles will bring, which hasn't always been the case with previous generations of consoles.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

But you can't build them for 299 bucks.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

wco81 wrote:It's speculation, based on claims of the developer kits which are supposedly distributed.

Also the theory that MS especially may be more interested in other functions besides gaming. So one rumor is that they'd have a lower end box with no optical drive that is geared more for Netflix and also downloaded games and other content.

It's also based on the road maps for lithography at various fabs and technologies like stacked memory, which things will be ready by the end of this year and which wont.

The general expectation seems to be that you can already build PCs with more power than what the new consoles will bring, which hasn't always been the case with previous generations of consoles.
Its all speculation based upon industry insiders and those with Dev kits who are under NDA and can't really comment on the hardware until MS/Sony say they can. The NG consoles do NOT need to compete with current PC video card power since most people will not be needing higher than 1080p resolution for console gaming which sure isn't the case for PC gaming which relies on Crossfire (AMD multi-card functionality) nor SLI (nVidia multi-card functionality). What I believe they WILL target is 30-60 FPS at 1080p for most games which does not take current mid to high end PC video card specs to manage.......and then there is the cost of these high end PC's which are way beyond the cost of these new consoles.....

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Teal wrote:But you can't build them for 299 bucks.
Yup that's the problem for me as well. The other problem to consider for PC gaming is that in most cases PC games are console ports and so it requires a high end rig to make the game look and run really good. That was the case with LA Noire and GTA IV. My PC gaming is down to racing and flight sims.

I'll be happy with NG bringing 30-60 FPS with full effects along with AA and AF enabled with no screen tear and smooth framerates.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Rodster wrote:
Teal wrote:But you can't build them for 299 bucks.
Yup that's the problem for me as well. The other problem to consider for PC gaming is that in most cases PC games are console ports and so it requires a high end rig to make the game look and run really good. That was the case with LA Noire and GTA IV. My PC gaming is down to racing and flight sims.

I'll be happy with NG bringing 30-60 FPS with full effects along with AA and AF enabled with no screen tear and smooth framerates.
Don't be shocked if there are still 720p games with more AA and other effects.

Though maybe Sony might try to claim PS4 can do 4k games, since they will be making a push for 4k TVs, apparently to be called UHDTV.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I just want better AI, if next gen doesn't bring that then I'm almost sure ill be done with this hobby.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:I just want better AI, if next gen doesn't bring that then I'm almost sure ill be done with this hobby.
I suggest Stamp Collecting as your next hobby! :)

But seriously, I don't think better AI is as much of a function of computing horsepower as it is programming - that's evidence by the difference in AI behaviour from game to game even in this generation of console hardware! I'm sure Microsoft and Sony will promise 'improved AI' but I think we'll see the same slow progression we've always seen and CPU-controlled defenders in FIFA will all act the same regardless of who they are.... :lol:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I can wait on the new xbox, I have so many games waiting to played as is. :)

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

MizzouRah wrote:I can wait on the new xbox, I have so many games waiting to played as is. :)
Seriously, with the backlog of games I have if the game industry completely shut down tomorrow I'd probably still have enough games to play the rest of my lifetime, but I'll still end up getting the new Xbox on release day. :P
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone