ny post fiasco

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

ny post fiasco

Post by fletcher21 »

What do you guys think about the story of the photographer who took a picture of a guy who had fallen onto the tracks, just seconds before he was hit and killed. Could the photog have even saved the guy? No idea how fast those trains move or how much notice he had to help the guy. People are up in arms about it, though.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: ny post fiasco

Post by FifaInspected »

I saw that on the news this morning and as a photographer myself I can't imagine he was thinking "he's gonna push the guy off the platform and I'm gonna get some real grizzly images. I'm sure he was thinking "this may come to blows and i'll get some good street photography images."

However. He did push him off the platform and it's at this moment the photographer and everyone else who was present had a decision to make.

Like you, I have no idea if saving the guy was even possible. Maybe some of our NY folks can shed some light on the details. All I know is the image of the guy standing there with one arm back on the platform and the train approaching was haunting.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Born and raised in NYC, took the Subway to school years ago. It's a b*tch if you fall onto the tracks because the platform sticks out. There isn't anything to put your feet against to leverage your way off the tracks, you are basically dangling off a ledge. If you are a tall person and have good arm strength then it's possible.

The only thing we don't know is how much time was available to run over and grab the guy and it would take a least a couple of people to lift the person up. But the shock factor would take away time from responding. From what i've read it appears he was shoved onto the tracks when the train was approaching.

Vinny lives in NYC, he could offer more insight into what happen.

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

The photographer should have tried to save the him instead of taking of picture. Even if you are fast, it would take 2-5 seconds to take that pic? Could have used those precious seconds to try to pull him up, at the very least. It is a split second decision and he decided the photo is worth more than the poor guy's life.

Since I commute in NYC, I am very wary of crazy people who might push me onto the track. If I fell onto the tracks with a train coming, I think I will the opposite direction since the train will stop at the station. The train will be slowing down for the station so you might have a better chance of surviving than hoping someone would pull you up, especially in this day and age.
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

WillHunting wrote:The photographer should have tried to save the him instead of taking of picture. Even if you are fast, it would take 2-5 seconds to take that pic? Could have used those precious seconds to try to pull him up, at the very least. It is a split second decision and he decided the photo is worth more than the poor guy's life.

Since I commute in NYC, I am very wary of crazy people who might push me onto the track. If I fell onto the tracks with a train coming, I think I will the opposite direction since the train will stop at the station. The train will be slowing down for the station so you might have a better chance of surviving than hoping someone would pull you up, especially in this day and age.
I'm gonna have to disagree on this. When i first heard about it I thought the same thing. The guy should have saved him. After learning more about the incident I've changed my mind. The photographer claimer that he knew he didn't have time to save him. Instead he stuck out his camera and tried taking pictures so the train conductor would see the flashes and slow down. It turns out the train conductor DID see the flashes and did try to slow down but it was too late.

The photographer was too far away to be able to save him. From what i've read, by the time the guy was on the tracks the train was only 15 seconds or less away from striking him. The photographer would have had to run 20 to 30 feet (my guess based on looking at the photo), gotten someone else to help and then pulled the guy up. If even his legs were still dangling the train could have rips him away, possibly injuring his would be rescuers as well.

People are so quick to accuse others of not being "heroes" but when you're in a situation like that it's often shocking and confusing. To make that split second decision to try and safe someone when you literally have seconds to do so is not easy. People go into shock. Even if they want to help it might take their brain a 5 or more second just to register what they just witnessed.

Now, if you want to debate whether the photographer should have sold the photo to the Post, or more importantly if the Post should have even printed it, well, that's another discussion entirely.

The photographer's account: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... t-by-train
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

I still don't agree with it even if what he claims is 100% true (which I have doubts). You gotta try, but you are right, it is a split second decision, as soon as he decided to take out the camera, the guy had no chance.
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

The printing of that picture was classless.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

It certainly is one of those things situations that is very hard to predict. Sure, I bet if a child were to wander off and fall into a swimming pool most everyone would be in that pool in a nano-second to save the child. A guy pushed onto subway.. I'm not sure. Truth be told i'm not sure what I would do in the moment. I would like to think that i'd jump to action... then again in those split seconds I may lockup or see myself trying to help him and get pulled onto the tracks myself.

It's very sad and I too think running the photo was a classless act.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I read an update to the story today where the victims wife said here husband left the house angry and drunk. And the guy who threw the victim onto the tracks said the victim was harassing him and wouldn't stop. So we have another twist to the story.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

My issue isn't the actions of the photographer (would never assume what he could or could not do), nor is it the post for printing the photo (it was news worthy). My issue is the idiotic text accompanying the photo. It's slimey as is gets. At least pretend you treated the situation with some sensitivity.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

WillHunting wrote:I still don't agree with it even if what he claims is 100% true (which I have doubts). You gotta try, but you are right, it is a split second decision, as soon as he decided to take out the camera, the guy had no chance.
The camera was already in his hands. Why wouldn't you believe what he said? Why do people always just assume everyone else is a heartless jerk (themselves excluded)? What about other people who were closer? His shutter went off 49 times. He was trying to do something. That's more than plenty of other people on that platform who were probably closer.

The conductor confirmed that he saw the flashes. His plan actually kind of worked in that it got the conductors attention and he began to slow down. Unfortunately there just wasn't enough time to save this guy.

This reminds me of this incident that happened over the summer in LA. I'll just link to the story since it's long. The quote by the firefighter at the end is key. http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08 ... ictim?lite
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

greggsand wrote:My issue isn't the actions of the photographer (would never assume what he could or could not do), nor is it the post for printing the photo (it was news worthy). My issue is the idiotic text accompanying the photo. It's slimey as is gets. At least pretend you treated the situation with some sensitivity.
It's the New York Post, the king of American tabloids. I'm not condoning the publication of the photo, either, but what did you expect?
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

pk500 wrote:
greggsand wrote:My issue isn't the actions of the photographer (would never assume what he could or could not do), nor is it the post for printing the photo (it was news worthy). My issue is the idiotic text accompanying the photo. It's slimey as is gets. At least pretend you treated the situation with some sensitivity.
It's the New York Post, the king of American tabloids. I'm not condoning the publication of the photo, either, but what did you expect?
Fair point. I'll admit I've never read any NY publication other than the Times & def not hip to a typical issue of the Post (I'm in LA, ya know - nothing exists east of Vegas).
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Gregg:

Here are some classic New York Post headlines from recent years:

http://www.mandatory.com/2012/12/03/the ... the-years/
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Que up the insanity plea.

"Subway shove monster: I couldn't stop the voices in my head. I heard, ‘Naeem he's coming again. He’s coming again. You got to do something.’ I kept hearing voices like that."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/subw ... 3cVOQAycrI