OT: Star Wars The Force Awakens

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Star Wars The Force Awakens

Post by dougb »

Saw the film last night - actually thought it was a heck of a lot better than Force Awakens. I agree with Rob that the characters were paper thin but interestingly it felt more original than The Force Awakens. Bit jarring though seeing the end bit considering that Carrie Fisher died earlier in the day.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Saw this over the weekend was really good IMO. Much better than Force Awakens which the more I see it, the worse it gets.

Probably sits at #4 in my list of SW movies. The CGI of older characters didn't bother me at all like it has some.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Danimal wrote:Saw this over the weekend was really good IMO. Much better than Force Awakens which the more I see it, the worse it gets.

Probably sits at #4 in my list of SW movies. The CGI of older characters didn't bother me at all like it has some.
I finally got around to seeing this. Seems to me that this is SW made by SW fans who grew up and took it more seriously. It didn't hit my highest hopes, but it's very good.

It's SW stripped of most of the fantasy, and simply a story of real people choosing to sacrifice to the cause. It just happens to be set in the SW universe.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

It also has a number of call out to Rebels, which frankly has shaped the SW universe more than anything else at this point.
Follow Me on:

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Wow...

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I’m calling BS on a few things in the trailer. Some misdirection if you will. I could be wrong.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

It wouldn't be the first time that a Star Wars trailer misdirect the masses. I remember in Force Awakens when I thought Finn would carry THE lightsaber to carry on Skywalker's legacy.

But the exchange between Kylo and Rey is key obviously and we'll have to find out their destiny.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Obviously Kylo is reaching out to the Porg, which just screams Dark Side from the moment i saw it!

Or maybe, in wrestling terms, we are heading for a double turn. with Kylo and Rey?????
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Is that a ferret flying the Falcon?
Follow Me on:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Saw The Last Jedi last night - WOW. Fantasic movie. I really liked The Force Awakens but this was much better. I agree with the one review I read...it’s the best since Empire Strikes Back. Awesome movie.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Diablo25 wrote:Saw The Last Jedi last night - WOW. Fantasic movie. I really liked The Force Awakens but this was much better. I agree with the one review I read...it’s the best since Empire Strikes Back. Awesome movie.
The reviews seem really good, apart from a few harsh takes.

Everyone keeps talking about the movie shocking audiences with plot turns, making the spoiler danger prohibitively high. Gonna have to find a way to hit the theater sooner rather than later!

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I plan on seeing it today, otherwise I will have to avoid the entire internet until I do. :)
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yes, I am hearing all good reviews so far, will watch it with the kids when school is over.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Just saw it, best of all the new movies since the original trilogy.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

vader29 wrote:Just saw it, best of all the new movies since the original trilogy.
Agreed, no contest.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
vader29 wrote:Just saw it, best of all the new movies since the original trilogy.
Agreed, no contest.
Co-signed. Just took the family to see it. Wasn't disappointed at all. Really good stuff. Go see it before the spoiler army gets cranked up.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

WTF is wrong with people bitching and moaning about this movie. It was terrific.

Are a few of the new characters under-baked? Sure. Does Rose suck? Pretty much. Is it weirdly conclusive for the middle installment of a trilogy? It is.

That said, it's loaded with fun moments throughout. The humor is done with just the right touch and it does a much, much better job than Force Awakes of hearkening back to the original movies without aping them beat for beat. Hard to imagine what a SW movie could deliver that this one doesn't. Can't wait t see it again.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

RobVarak wrote:WTF is wrong with people bitching and moaning about this movie. It was terrific.
E X A C T L Y!!

I work with a guy who is a diehard...knows every planet and species ever in all the movies...and he claims they burned down the franchise with The Last Jedi. He’s a friend so I just let him vent. I LOVED it. Can’t wait to see it again.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

RobVarak wrote:WTF is wrong with people bitching and moaning about this movie. It was terrific.

Are a few of the new characters under-baked? Sure. Does Rose suck? Pretty much. Is it weirdly conclusive for the middle installment of a trilogy? It is.

That said, it's loaded with fun moments throughout. The humor is done with just the right touch and it does a much, much better job than Force Awakes of hearkening back to the original movies without aping them beat for beat. Hard to imagine what a SW movie could deliver that this one doesn't. Can't wait t see it again.
Glad to have seen it and can browse the internet without fear of spoilers!

First, definitely agree with bolded comments here.

Otherwise, I thought it was loud, beautiful, and the heaviest Star Wars movie in terms of emotional depth and challenge.

Some of the plot choices and ways the force is used WERE questionable in relation to established Star Wars canon, but onwards and upwards, particularly with so many new movies on the menu.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

I was somewhat disappointed. Was looking forward to it after all of the excellent reviews but felt there were too many faults with it from a film making standpoint (yes, i'm a film snob). Without going into spoilers I felt Finn's entire plot line was pointless and bad storytelling. The second half of the film was much better than the first. The Kylo Ren/Rey/Luke Luke plot line was the highlight of the film and Adam Driver may be the best part of the new series.

This critique by Alyssa Rosenberg in the WAPO pretty much sums up how I felt after leaving the theater: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... c6c7bb4e55

I feel her initial take, that how much you enjoy this depends on how much you are willing surrender to the films pleasures, sums up all of the new movies so far, including Rogue One. Some people just want more Star Wars and these films will make many people happy. I enjoy great Star Wars set pieces as much as the next child of the 80's but that will only carry a movie so far. I still believe that none of the new films are as good as any in the original trilogy for a number of reasons that I won't go into.

Don't get me wrong, they've all been enjoyable enough and are fun diversions. But there are reasons why the original films are so enduring. They work well on so many different levels and I feel that these new films continue to fall flat in one respect or another.

Earlier this year I watched Empire with some friends and it's pretty much a perfect movie. I'm itching to watch Hope and Jedi again soon to see if my memory of them holds true. Maybe I'll find out that i've become a cold hearted cynic and that's been the problem all along. ;-)
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

:wink:

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

LAking wrote:I was somewhat disappointed. Was looking forward to it after all of the excellent reviews but felt there were too many faults with it from a film making standpoint (yes, i'm a film snob). Without going into spoilers I felt Finn's entire plot line was pointless and bad storytelling. The second half of the film was much better than the first. The Kylo Ren/Rey/Luke Luke plot line was the highlight of the film and Adam Driver may be the best part of the new series.

This critique by Alyssa Rosenberg in the WAPO pretty much sums up how I felt after leaving the theater: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... c6c7bb4e55

I feel her initial take, that how much you enjoy this depends on how much you are willing surrender to the films pleasures, sums up all of the new movies so far, including Rogue One. Some people just want more Star Wars and these films will make many people happy. I enjoy great Star Wars set pieces as much as the next child of the 80's but that will only carry a movie so far. I still believe that none of the new films are as good as any in the original trilogy for a number of reasons that I won't go into.

Don't get me wrong, they've all been enjoyable enough and are fun diversions. But there are reasons why the original films are so enduring. They work well on so many different levels and I feel that these new films continue to fall flat in one respect or another.

Earlier this year I watched Empire with some friends and it's pretty much a perfect movie. I'm itching to watch Hope and Jedi again soon to see if my memory of them holds true. Maybe I'll find out that i've become a cold hearted cynic and that's been the problem all along. ;-)
I kind of agree and have 3 main beefs with the movie (very vague spoilers):

-Finn's field trip was unnecessary, underwhelming and ultimately meaningless to the story
-The force in this movie gets pretty close to pure magic that can pretty much do anything, even by those lightly trained
-Playing off point 2, the storywriters chickened out on Leia's fate

I still really enjoyed the movie and found it dramatic, intense, and spectacular in pure audio-visuals.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Kids were pumped and after avoiding all kinds of spoilers, we managed to finally watch ‘The Last Jedi’. I left the big screen smiling, one thing the movie did well was to rekindle the middle trilogy by connecting the audience with more time with those characters already established. Who doesn’t love BB8?

Some subplots are redundant indeed, nice to see captain Phasma again but in the end pointless.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, better than Force Awakens and while it’s been emotional and touchy for the older Star Wars fans like myself, it’s clear that they want to move on with the new generation of Star Wars heroes.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it even thought there was some stupid s*** in it. What I noticed in the crowded screening I went to was how much all the kids loved it. Got me to thinking when I was 12 or 14 I wouldn't of raised an eye brow to anything that happened. Problem is most people around my age have lost the ability to enjoy anything. They go into things looking to be the first person to tear it down on social media. This is real feedback I've seen from people I know. Be warned spoilers incoming if you haven't seen it.

"Movie was too political, tired of the left preaching to me" - I literally have no idea where this movie is political.

"Movie was too corny in too many spots" - These moments are literally in all Star Wars movies. I'm not going to lie the last scene with the kid looking up at the stars I was rolling my eyes but 12 year old me would of went home and grabbed a broom.

"Rose is horrible, she was put in just because she is not a white woman to please the SJW" - This seems to be the biggest complaint I see, typically from middle aged racist white guys who think they are somehow being marginalized now. I really didn't have a problem with her character other than she didn't add much to the story and if she loved Fin there was no basis for it.

"Movie was ham fisted in terms of plot, assumes audience isn't smart enough to figure it out." Again seems no different than any other Star Wars movie. Keep thinking they want a new slew of 8-14 year old fans.

My "I wish they didn't have this in the movie" things were.

- The whole Leia in space thing was just stupid to me but I quickly forgot about it.
- I liked all the Luke stuff right up to the point he disappeared. I'm usually the first to get anything in a movie in terms of twists but I'll admit I didn't see that Luke was using some form of astral projection. I should of after he walked out of all those shots etc, but since Leia did her best Star Lord through space thing earlier I just assume it was force related. So you do this really cool thing and you likely fooled most of the audience and then he just disappeared into the force because he is tired? I felt like they wasted what they accomplished.

In the end it was an enjoyable movie for me I would watch again but I feel like they given us a cast of characters where I only care about one now in Rey which might be a problem.
Follow Me on: