OT: Star Wars The Force Awakens

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Star Wars The Force Awakens

Post by Danimal »

I'm a little confused by the pictures I'm seeing of people in line. I can go online right now and get tickets to about 6 different show times tonight. If i wait until tomorrow or this weekend there are least 30 times each day at my local theater. Are people just waiting in line to get better seats? I don't get it.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Danimal wrote:I'm a little confused by the pictures I'm seeing of people in line. I can go online right now and get tickets to about 6 different show times tonight. If i wait until tomorrow or this weekend there are least 30 times each day at my local theater. Are people just waiting in line to get better seats? I don't get it.

Around here there is no reserved seats (for this movie at least)...just reserved stadium seating. I'm heading to the 7:45 show tonight but I plan on getting there around 6:30-6:45 to be safe. Obviously I don't know if that is the deal everywhere.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Danimal wrote:I'm a little confused by the pictures I'm seeing of people in line. I can go online right now and get tickets to about 6 different show times tonight. If i wait until tomorrow or this weekend there are least 30 times each day at my local theater. Are people just waiting in line to get better seats? I don't get it.
They are. I'm bummed that I wasn't early enough to grab a seat at my local assigned-seating, recliner theater. Have to go out there and fend off the nerds.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Watched it, really liked it.

Won't spoil anything.

Can't wait for Episode VIII!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Watched it, really liked it.

Won't spoil anything.

Can't wait for Episode VIII!
Watched it. Absolutely loved it...won't spoil anything. Seriously awesome.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Very, very fun. Felt like some of the meta stuff was a little too campy, but overall just loved it.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Enjoyed it a lot overall, especially the new characters and actors. I think Ridley is perfect to carry the new trilogy.

Main negative for me-and just a minor thing- was that it seems like they were too concerned about hitting all the checkboxes on the 'A Star Wars Movie Should Have' checklist.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Any reason to stay until the very end when the credits roll?

Never mind, found the answer.
http://www.themarysue.com/j-j-abrams-co ... its-start/
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

webdanzer wrote:Enjoyed it a lot overall, especially the new characters and actors. I think Ridley is perfect to carry the new trilogy.

Main negative for me-and just a minor thing- was that it seems like they were too concerned about hitting all the checkboxes on the 'A Star Wars Movie Should Have' checklist.
I can see what you mean but I almost think they HAD to do that. Like you said, it doesn't take away from the movie.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

They almost set it up as an apology letter to fans for the prequels. Like "Look, we know what made Star Wars great. Look how much we respect it!"

And then set it up for the next movie(s) to expand upon what Abrams wants to do with it. Only way to do it, I think.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

TCrouch wrote:They almost set it up as an apology letter to fans for the prequels. Like "Look, we know what made Star Wars great. Look how much we respect it!"

And then set it up for the next movie(s) to expand upon what Abrams wants to do with it. Only way to do it, I think.
This was definitely the plan. I just feel like they leaned a little too heavily on the nostalgia and way too heavily on some structural stuff that would be spoilerish to discuss. I loved it. I'm seeing it again, for sure...not trying to generate any backlash here. Looking forward to open communication in a few days. :)

To tilt things back to the positive side. OMG I adored all the new stars. Casting is spot-on and those actors brought the goods!

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Just saw it and loved it. Arrived 20 minutes early and thought ok I can sit through these previews and ads but then when the movie was supposed to start there ended up being another 25 minutes of previews and ads. :x

Would have preferred that the North Koreans would have been offended by this movie and then had it directly released to a streaming service. :P
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

One sentence review.

A-

Hits all the notes on what fans want out of star wars (dog fights, light sabers, lovable droids, space magic, action/adventure with levity), but limits itself by overtly reproducing so many things from original trilogy.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Naples39 wrote: Hits all the notes on what fans want out of star wars (dog fights, light sabers, lovable droids, space magic, action/adventure with levity), but limits itself by overtly reproducing so many things from original trilogy.
I wonder if they'll stick with that formula for the "saga" movies, i.e, big background revelation in 2, redemption in movie 3 etc. Hope not.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

One thing about Abrams is that he draws the good guy characters well but not the villains. At least that was the case with the Star Trek reboot.

And he is inclined towards the melodramatic.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Saw it. Loved it. I feel like the legacy is in good hands.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

GameSeven wrote:Saw it. Loved it. I feel like the legacy is in good hands.
I hope so. Abrams says he's not directing the next one.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Murph wrote:
GameSeven wrote:Saw it. Loved it. I feel like the legacy is in good hands.
I hope so. Abrams says he's not directing the next one.
Yes, by accounts, Disney is content to use different directors for the new trilogy, not unlike the Harry Potter movies did. Barring any changes, Looper's Rian Johnson will helm the next installment.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Polygon's Minimap podcast has an excellent nerd deep dive into the movie. It would be cool if I were the type of nerd who would spend 3 hours listening to 3 other nerds analyze, speculate and discuss a science fiction movie, which I am but which I will totally deny and I swear I'll burn this thread to the ground if I have to...

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Just saw it tonight. Completely loved it. Count me as one that loved seeing the callbacks, myself. Little touches as love notes to the older fans were very cool.

What I loved most was that even the trailers didn't give away anything at all. What conclusions you could draw weren't correct. The swerves were good. New actors were incredible. Great, great casting.

The dogfighting sequences were just fantastic. We had to drive 2 hours back home, and my oldest and I chattered about what we thought would happen next all the way back. Just a lot of fun.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Teal wrote:Just saw it tonight. Completely loved it. Count me as one that loved seeing the callbacks, myself. Little touches as love notes to the older fans were very cool.

What I loved most was that even the trailers didn't give away anything at all. What conclusions you could draw weren't correct. The swerves were good. New actors were incredible. Great, great casting.

The dogfighting sequences were just fantastic. We had to drive 2 hours back home, and my oldest and I chattered about what we thought would happen next all the way back. Just a lot of fun.
Absolutely agree Teal! I said the same thing about the trailers. Abrams did a fantastic job. I'm kinda scared that hes not directing the next one 8O
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Diablo25 wrote:
Teal wrote:Just saw it tonight. Completely loved it. Count me as one that loved seeing the callbacks, myself. Little touches as love notes to the older fans were very cool.

Absolutely agree Teal! I said the same thing about the trailers. Abrams did a fantastic job. I'm kinda scared that hes not directing the next one 8O

Yeah, I don't really understand that logic. Was it Disney, or Abrams, that made that decision? Since it's really one long, continuous story, why not keep the same director???
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Teal wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:

Yeah, I don't really understand that logic. Was it Disney, or Abrams, that made that decision? Since it's really one long, continuous story, why not keep the same director???
I'm not sure. I know Abrams said he was spent after this one so maybe it was him?
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Teal wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Yeah, I don't really understand that logic. Was it Disney, or Abrams, that made that decision? Since it's really one long, continuous story, why not keep the same director???
He spent 3 years on this one and he has had enough. He had a big job to do, I know some people don't like him but I love his work. He took the franchise to a new starting point and the casting was perfect. I'm less concerned about the director than who is penning the sequel. Abrams co-wrote this with the guy who did Empire I believe.

I see a lot of my friends who are my age saying they liked it but it was too familiar. Well my 11 and 12 year old loved it without seeing a single of the other movies. That is the point to me, you could take a kid to this movie with no prior knowledge and they could have a fantastic story and experience. It made my kids want to see the original movies which is fine with me. :D
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

I smiled the entire time. Sure, there was some cheesy stuff, but it was a great, fun movie that was as good as the original 3.