Hurricane Sandy/Frankenstorm

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Hurricane Sandy/Frankenstorm

Post by webdanzer »

Well, since I live in a part of NJ that seems to be bulls-eye for this particular storm, and because our governor is telling us to prepare for 7-10 days without electricity, I figure I should say my online good-byes now!

Hopefully this is as overblown as many other predictions have been recently, but if not, wish me luck, and if you don't see my online it's probably because the power's out and we're trying to eat our way through 2 refrigerators worth of foodstuffs before they spoil! :lol:

Seriously, best of luck to all other DSPers in the areas affected. It'll definitely be interesting.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Hurricane Sandy/Frankenstorm

Post by Rodster »

Since I live in SW Florida and have to deal with the possibility of them every year, good luck web. Yeah if you've never been through one take them seriously. What's worse here in Florida are all the tornado's that they spawn.

If you are going to prepare, get sh*t loads of can goods and stock up on water. And if they tell you to evacuate then get the hell out of there.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

Stay safe web.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Well, whether it's the media exaggerating the possibilities of a disaster or not, hope you and the community are safe. Today north of British Columbia, folks experienced an earthquake that we didn't feel at all in Lotus land, but everyone knows that a big one is coming including a possible Tsunami.

Stay safe Web.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I'm in eastern PA and it doesn't look good here either. Up to a week without electricity is possible (according to predictions). Hope it's, obviously, not as bad as predicted.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

My office is closed tomorrow in downtown philly. I am most definitely not prepared for multiple days without power, so let's hope that doesn't happen here!
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

The power in my neighborhood flickers on and off in storms with 10 mph winds, they are calling for 30 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 60 mph from noon Monday until noon on Tuesday here so I'm fully expecting to be without power at some point.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Stay safe, everyone!

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

I hope it is a tempest in a teapot, but if not you guys keep you and yours safe and sound.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Wind gusts of 60 mph and heavy rain expected here in Syracuse. Time to stock up on batteries.

Be safe, fellow Northeasterners.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Web and everyone else in the East, please stay safe. Will be watching and hoping for the best.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Best of Luck Web....I live in the Houston area and have been through a few of these myself in the past 30 years. Stay safe!

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Central Jersey here... I tend to think these things get overblown, but I suppose a week without power would be no joke. Hoping for the best. Stay safe boys.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Good luck guys. Earthquakes ftw...I'd rather meet my demise instantly than watching it stalk me for a week!

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

In Delaware, it's headed right for us. I'm expecting a flooded basement and hoping we aren't without power for too long.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

My mom chose now, of all times (starting a week ago last Friday), to take her vacation from CA to VA. So she was due to come back tomorrow. She's been told her flight is cancelled and will be heading back on Thursday hopefully. So I seriously hope it all goes as smoothly as possible back there.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I live in the midwest, we get 30 mph winds with most summer storms. All kidding aside my parents and most of my good friends still live in CT where I grew up so I'm hoping this is the usual East Coast media over blown coverage and I hope everyone is safe.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

According to the news reports,the effects will be seen as far inland as Chicago.Helluva a storm,stay safe everybody.
Last edited by Jackdog on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Heard from predictions yesterday, and honestly the winds sounded like a nor'easter. If so, shouldn't be so bad for you in the NE. Bigger thing may be the rain if it moves slowly. We've had a couple of Hurricanes in the last 10 years near Houston. Proper ones mind you - none of this cat 1/tropical storm level stuff (though I'm sure construction up there was not designed with any category hurricane in mind). Hoping it goes well up there and it's just the media focusing on the self-anointed center of the universe (aka, New York). If this was going through Mobile there'd be little discussion, even with the 24 hour news cycle craving for a story.

Seriously, though. Worst case scenario for some of you may actually be the rain. If it moves slowly and has a ton of moisture, a lower strength tropical storm can be a heck of a lot worse than a hurricane with all the flooding. Stay away from that deep water!

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Fellas. Thoughts and prayers for all of you who may be impacted by this storm. Be safe!!
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Not even raining here right now and my dad has already lost power. WTF?
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Jared wrote:In Delaware, it's headed right for us. I'm expecting a flooded basement and hoping we aren't without power for too long.
I'm in the same boat; once the sump pump stops pumping our basement will flood in an hour going by what happened during Hurricane Irene last year. I think next spring we're going to get one of these installed.

http://www.generac.com/Residential/Guar ... ies_14_kW/

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

I'm in Middletown, Delaware. Went to the beach yesterday morning to secure some stuff at our beach place, and picked up a generator on the way home. We made it through Irene without losing power, but something's telling me we won't be so lucky this time.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

F308 you are smarter than that. Get off your high horse, dude.

Population of Mobile metro area: 412,992

Estimated number of people expected to lose electricity as Sandy topples trees and severs power lines:

And for many of those, electricity may not be restored for over a week after the storm passes through.

Good luck to everyone out there in the vicinity. I'm lucky here in NYC that I am not likely to lose power, but it could happen if there is severe flooding downtown. Already lots of people have been evacuated in the City from low lying areas along the coast and in the harbor, the various small islands, and in the very tip of Manhattan, but not where I am. City is eerily empty today though. Subways and busses shut down last night as did all commuter train systems. They probably won't start back up until Wednesday.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Zep, didn't relaize we were neighbors. I'm on Long Island, about a mile inland, far enough that we don't get flooding. Bigger problem is trees coming down, taking down the power lines. And we have a couple of huge oak old trees near the house. Its hasn't rained a lot before this so hoping the dryer ground helps keep the trees up.

I'm at work now, NY being the exception and not closing State offices. NJ and Conn. State offices are closed. My kids schools are closed. I will leave early though.