Hurricane Sandy/Frankenstorm

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Hurricane Sandy/Frankenstorm

Post by GameSeven »

Well, just to close the door on my mini-saga with this storm; we finally got power back last night, almost exactly 8 days after we lost it.

Along with my in-laws, who are also in town and were without power, we went to a hotel over the border into PA for a few nights starting late Thursday. Coming back two nights ago, to my in-laws whose power was first restored, the work done in our area was nothing short of remarkable. The crews that had come to assist did an excellent job converting the VERY many downed trees and tangled wires to mulch and new utility lines. School is still out until Monday in our township and the kids will have a Halloween when all people in our district have had power restored, but we're finally relieved to be back home with power and heat.

Still, we were fortunate compared to many others. I have a cousin with a young family of three kids who lost his home a few blocks from the Jersey shore. Others in my town and many others across the region are without power as temps are dropping. The new storm system heading our way is said to have diminished somewhat, but still will slow the repair process for the many still not completely restored.

Just wanted to thank you guys for well wishes and the such. Hope all is well in all your necks of the woods.

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

We just got power back last night, thank god right before the storm coming today.
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

We got our power back this morning. 9 1/2 days.
I've been making some progress on getting my father's fire damaged house cleaned and repaired. I met with a fire restoration service and a general contractor. Insurance adjuster will be coming in next Saturday. House is structurally sound but will need to be completely gutted.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Stay strong fellas.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

mike95 wrote:We got our power back this morning. 9 1/2 days.
I've been making some progress on getting my father's fire damaged house cleaned and repaired. I met with a fire restoration service and a general contractor. Insurance adjuster will be coming in next Saturday. House is structurally sound but will need to be completely gutted.
Sorry to hear that :(

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

It's been a challenging two months since the storm. My 87 year old father has been living in our house which is a little tight, but we can manage. It's been more emotionally draining. By living with him I've discovered that his memory, especially short term, is much worse than I thought. Then he sometimes gets angry when I try to guide or remind him. What's also sad is he doesn't care much about his personal hygiene. We have had some awful fights about that. He'd rather leave my house than get in the shower, but he has nowhere else to go.

Given my father's condition, I am completely handling getting his home repaired. I finally got an estimate and check from the insurance company, so hopefully the contractor can get started next week. In the meantime I was working there on the weekends to clean up (he didn't like to throw things out) and save any valuable or sentimental items.

I expect it will be at least another two months before his house is ready. Then I'll have to figure out if he can manage to live there on his own. I will have to insist that he accepts a cleaning service, because I know he won't do it. And possibly a home health aide.

Its actually a good thing this all happened since now I see the truth and can help my father manage better. I am looking forward to our family sharing Christmas morning with him at our house.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Wow that's some tough stuff but I think you have a great attitude about this being a useful chance to take stock of the clear reality of your father's situation. Good on you man for all the hard work you are putting in.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah I agree with zeppo. Good luck getting it all squared away and taken care of. It's always tough to watch a loved one go down hill, but like you said, it's going to be great with him around for Christmas. Gotta cherish those memories, even if he might not be able to.