X-COM: Enemy Unknown

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: X-COM: Enemy Unknown

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Never played the original but I grabbed this from Steam today based on the hype. I'm really impressed with game so far, and I've only just finished what I think are the tutorial missions. Really slick presentation and gameplay feels like its going to be a lot of fun.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

webdanzer wrote:I try not to give into the hype too much, but between this and Dishonored, this could be the best release day of the year for me.
Both arrived just now from Amazon.

Don't know which to play first... :(
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Maybe it's just me, but the game looks really slow and tedious. :)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

MizzouRah wrote:Maybe it's just me, but the game looks really slow and tedious. :)
It's for the strategy gamer not the fast twitch generation. Some of us prefer games that make you think now and again. YMMV.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Danimal wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:Maybe it's just me, but the game looks really slow and tedious. :)
It's for the strategy gamer not the fast twitch generation. Some of us prefer games that make you think now and again. YMMV.
Hey I'm 41 definitely not fast twitch.. I play many games that allow you to think. I'll have to check out the demo, but from the videos I've seen, I'm not so sure it's my cup of tea.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

MizzouRah wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Hey I'm 41 definitely not fast twitch.. I play many games that allow you to think. I'll have to check out the demo, but from the videos I've seen, I'm not so sure it's my cup of tea.
I didn't mean it as a shot at you. I would expect this game to sell more on the PC than on the console. It's at it's heart a strategy game. The squad fighting turn based element is just one part of the game. The rest of it is micromanaging and Area 51 type facility, deciding what to research, where to send squads and put up satellites. Honestly the squad element is where you spend the least amount of time.

So sorry if that seemed like a shot. I just don't see this being a huge hit with this generation of gamers.
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

If it were mainly about the battles, I'd be all in. I really dug the demo. But micromanagement isn't my cup o' tea.

So here's my whine for the day...dang I wish they'd do another Full Spectrum Warrior...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Teal wrote:If it were mainly about the battles, I'd be all in. I really dug the demo. But micromanagement isn't my cup o' tea.
What's funny is I have another set of friends wishing they could simulate the battles and just take their chances. I think the game would of been better served with automated options for both the battles and micromanagement.

Me I love all of it except for the fact I never have enough money.
Follow Me on:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Danimal wrote:
I didn't mean it as a shot at you. I would expect this game to sell more on the PC than on the console. It's at it's heart a strategy game. The squad fighting turn based element is just one part of the game. The rest of it is micromanaging and Area 51 type facility, deciding what to research, where to send squads and put up satellites. Honestly the squad element is where you spend the least amount of time.

So sorry if that seemed like a shot. I just don't see this being a huge hit with this generation of gamers.
I know you didn't. I kind of came off like I was bashing the game. I'm just trying to figure out if I would like it, but since the squad stuff is where you spend the least amount of time, I'll have to check it out.

Thank you.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I had some time to dig into this over the weekend, and I'm really, really enjoying it. As has been said, it's incredibly evocative of the original without aping it, and it's so..hard..to turn off! :lol:

Definitely a story-building game, too, as you watch certain squad members do amazing things, or at least die in amazing ways, earning promotions and appropriate nick-names.

We're all going to miss Papa Bear over here. RIP. :D

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I fired this up last night for a few minutes...just one mission. And suddenly it was midnight.

I've got it set to Ironman mode, where you have a single save file. And when I insanely thought that I wouldn't hit aliens in my first turn, and dashed him up to what I thought was cover (and it turned out to be plate glass), and inside were SIX aliens....well, sionara "Thunder". I've been losing more guys lately as I got a bit more cocky on what I would attempt.

So addicting. My wife keeps laughing at me, saying it looks like mission control in my computer room. Every time she comes back there, I've got a hologram of the globe up in the situation room looking at crap.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Possibly GOTY.

That's all I am saying :)
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

It really is. The feeling it gives you when you successfully execute a perfect assault mission with no casualties, or your interceptor barely downs a bigger craft when it's severely damaged, to the choices you have to make on which missions to take...it all adds up to one fantastic experience.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I can't shut it off at night. It's made me miss some baseball playoff games.

Crazy good.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

TCrouch wrote:It really is. The feeling it gives you when you successfully execute a perfect assault mission with no casualties, or your interceptor barely downs a bigger craft when it's severely damaged, to the choices you have to make on which missions to take...it all adds up to one fantastic experience.
Absolutely... Still kind of early, maybe 10 missions in for me, but loving the hell out of this game.

Had great fortune when assaulting one of the 'bigger' ships and split my squad up a bit. The group of three lesser squadmates found itself at a large door and I spent one turn queueing up with the two worst shots in overwatch. One of the damn Chrysalids opened the door and moved into the room and bore down on the third member adjacent to the door. The cinematic overwatch fire captured the moment perfectly as the two guys saved the other guy's ass.

Even little accomplishments like getting a satellite online to pacify a government on the verge of withdrawing are rewarding.

A fantastic rewrite of a classic game.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Checked out the demo based on recommendations and it's one of the best demos I've played. Definitely picking this one up.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I finally ditched my first game with the tutorial option set to on and went to a new iron man game at classic difficulty.

Wow. Talk about a step up in difficulty.
Follow Me on:

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Danimal wrote:I finally ditched my first game with the tutorial option set to on and went to a new iron man game at classic difficulty.

Wow. Talk about a step up in difficulty.
I continued the tutorial on normal and thought multiple times about ditching and starting over on classic, but I'm attached to my guys and this version of the story, now, so I think I'll see it through to the end.

This is a game I can easily see myself going through multiple times.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

This is the most stressful game I have ever played. I absolutely love it but I just get so utterly stressed out when playing, I feel like I'm always behind the 8-ball both in missions and particularly in the meta-game/larger world-game.

Can't wait to go home and play more!

PS How f***in cheap are governments? Seriously, Canada - you're pulling out of the X-COM project - what, you're going to fight the f***in aliens by yourself? You got better tech? Mounties vs. Aliens. f*** off. Ditto Egypt.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Macca00 wrote:PS How f***in cheap are governments? Seriously, Canada - you're pulling out of the X-COM project - what, you're going to fight the f***in aliens by yourself? You got better tech? Mounties vs. Aliens. f*** off. Ditto Egypt.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I swear I went on a rant almost identical to this 2 nights ago.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

That's some funny stuff up there ^
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Macca00 wrote: PS How f***in cheap are governments? Seriously, Canada - you're pulling out of the X-COM project - what, you're going to fight the f***in aliens by yourself? You got better tech? Mounties vs. Aliens. f*** off. Ditto Egypt.
Heh! :lol:

I tend to interpret the withdrawal language as a euphemism for the country basically ceasing to exist as a state. Have you seen what the countries that withdraw look like on your globe in HQ?

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Picked up the game last night. Next thing I knew it was 12:30.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Brando70 wrote:Picked up the game last night. Next thing I knew it was 12:30.
:lol: Welcome to the club. I don't know how a game where you don't physically aim and shoot crap is so damn stressful. Last night I had a giddy schoolgirl-style giggle when I had positioned my 6 units in sort of an arc on their exfiltration route, in case something showed up. Sure enough, an enemy dropped out of nowhere in the middle of my route, and all 6 were on Overwatch. It looked like a scene out of Starcraft, where all you see are a bunch of units firing at one spot on the map. I don't even think the alien made a sound. He just landed and exploded into a pile of goo.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I'm on like 14 hours sleep over 3 days because of this thing. :lol:

But please, tell a friend! I hope to hell this thing sells because I WANT MORE.

Debuted at like #7 in the UK, which is not all that wonderful. I hope this gets a nice strong sales kick from word of mouth, similar to Demons Souls...